Bruce Arians: Female coaches could be hired in the NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...elieves-female-coaches-could-be-hired-in-nfl/

Arians believes female coaches could be hired in NFL
Posted by Mike Florio on April 12, 2015

t5ontl.jpg

The recent hiring of Sarah Thomas to serve as the first full-time NFL game official has caused Josh Weinfuss of ESPN.com to dust off a quote from last month made by Cardinals coach Bruce Arians regarding the possibility of a female NFL coach.

“Someone asked me yesterday, ‘When are we going to have female coaches?’” Arians said. “The minute they can prove they can make a player better, they’ll be hired.”

More accurately, the minute that a female candidate proves she can make players better than the best male candidate for a coaching position, she should be hired. More realistically, that won’t happen, at least not right away.

Look at the extended amount of time it took for a group consisting of middle-aged to elderly white men to embrace the hiring of African-American coaches. Only after Cyrus Mehri and the late Johnnie Cochran threatened the league with litigation did a procedure emerge that forces NFL owners to consider minority candidates already in the pipeline of assistant-coaching and college coaching positions for head-coaching positions.

Before there could ever be a female head coach, plenty of female assistant coaches would have to be in the pipeline, too, serving as position coaches and coordinators. Which means that they’d have to be in the pipeline for those jobs as well, serving as assistant coaches and head coaches in the college ranks.

That’s what makes the elevation of Sarah Thomas even more impressive. She has made it to the top of the sport despite being one of very few females in the officiating pipeline. Absent a flood of female coaches wanting to break into coaching and then successfully climbing the ladder of the coaching ranks, it won’t be easy for a female coach to get to the NFL, in any capacity.

Even then, no female coach will get to the highest rung until an owner is willing to entrust the franchise to her. The late Al Davis would have been willing to do it, if he believed she gave his team the best chance of winning, in relation to other candidates.

Would any of the current owners do it? That question won’t matter until one or more female coaching candidates begin to rise through the ranks. Which hasn’t happened yet, and may not happen for a long time.

It starts with female candidates having the same “maybe I can do it, too” attitude that propelled Sarah Thomas into officiating. And it’s entirely possible that Thomas will inspire plenty of women to realize that, whether it’s coaching football or any other traditionally male profession, there’s only one way to find out.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
That's probably the first intelligent quote that's ever come out of Bruce Arians' mouth.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
It won't be long before the feminists start demanding that female coaches get hired "equally" in such a male dominated sport. I can see a sort of Rooney rule that will make a team interview a female coach before they can hire a man.
If women want to be around football, they can be cheerleaders, or if they are ugly, they can go back to the kitchen where they belong!

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I don't believe female coaches will ever be a realistic option in the NFL. I know it is socially correct to push for equality on all fronts but there are obvious limitations. Most great coaches gained a large portion of their knowledge from actually playing the game of football. You can argue that women can play in female leagues or as kickers but the rift is so great as far as how the game is played that she would not be acquiring the same skills and philosophies. What if she just spent her life studying the game? What organization or player will trust a coach with no real experience? Can a woman demand the respect and trust of players who may trust their own football knowledge more? Then there is the sexual aspect where a female coach may not be able to create the same player/coach relationships and will undoubtably draw sexual jokes if she did. She would face more scrutiny than any other coach in history and the media attention would be a massive distraction. Other coaches on her staff might feel more qualified, given their set of experience in playing football that she may never have had the opportunity to gain. Harassment from players and other coaches would be prominent as well.

I know it would be an appealing thought from a fairness standpoint in society but we have to be more objective and realistic.

iced

Finally, a ref that will know everything in the rule book and can't be wrong (such heavy sarcasm requires different shades of blue)

Memento

Name
Jemma
It won't be long before the feminists start demanding that female coaches get hired "equally" in such a male dominated sport. I can see a sort of Rooney rule that will make a team interview a female coach before they can hire a man.
If women want to be around football, they can be cheerleaders, or if they are ugly, they can go back to the kitchen where they belong!

Immediately reported for that last comment.

And also...you're just so flat-out wrong about what feminists really want that it's not even funny. If there's a qualified female coach out there, and she's more qualified than the males, then hire her. That's the only thing that feminists want other than equal pay. We're not at all saying to make half of the coaches female regardless of qualifications. We've never said that for any occupation. All we want is equal pay and a chance for qualified females to participate.

Getting off of my soapbox now.

Last edited:

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I could see it now.. "C'mon go and score me a touchdown, I'll show you my tits if you can." And so the era of boobgate begins! :ROFLMAO:

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
If it does ever happen the college ranks will have to break the barrier because I don't see an NFL team hiring a woman straight from coaching HS, or worse, never coached at all.

Memento

Name
Jemma
If it does ever happen the college ranks will have to break the barrier because I don't see an NFL team hiring a woman straight from coaching HS, or worse, never coached at all.

Definitely agree with you. College will have to be the first to break the barrier if it happens. They don't hire men straight out of high school, and I can't think of a single guy in recent memory who's been hired without any coaching experience. All of these guys have to earn their stripes in at least the college level beforehand.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
If a woman can marshall my Rams to the promised land, bring her on!

The coaching pool is such a small group of individuals that gets perpetually reshuffled. I'm all for the infusion of new talent and ideas into NFL coaching whether it's from ex-players (why aren't there more?), college coaches, or even crossover from other sports including Women's.

fearsomefour

Legend
Basically, this is not a story....
He is saying if someone is qualified and can provide an owner with information/evidence that they can make their team a winner they would be hired....file this one under "no duh".

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Immediately reported for that last comment.

And also...you're just so flat-out wrong about what feminists really want that it's not even funny. If there's a qualified female coach out there, and she's more qualified than the males, then hire her. That's the only thing that feminists want other than equal pay. We're not at all saying to make half of the coaches female regardless of qualifications. We've never said that for any occupation. All we want is equal pay and a chance for qualified females to participate.

Getting off of my soapbox now.

What players are going to respect a woman coach in the NFL? Seriously, there has been no women players, and there probably never will be. Women can't compete with men in physical sports, and without steriods, they never will be able to. If a woman can't play the sport, the players won't respect her. And thanks for "reporting" my horribly offensive post.

Memento

Name
Jemma
What players are going to respect a woman coach in the NFL? Seriously, there has been no women players, and there probably never will be. Women can't compete with men in physical sports, and without steriods, they never will be able to. If a woman can't play the sport, the players won't respect her. And thanks for "reporting" my horribly offensive post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_American_football_players#Semi-Professional

You're welcome. And your post deserved to be reported because last time I checked, comments that demean an entire sex, race, religion, and/or orientation are against the rules on this site.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Woman playing football - hesh
Woman calling offensive plays - sort of hot

I can definitely see the female Belicheat up in the booth calling plays all savant style one day - but not going rah rah on the sidelines as a head coach or defensive minding coach
But as an offensive positional coach yes
Is much rather see a hot looking female calling great plays from the booth than seeing a woman play on the field against men
Seeing a woman play a mans sport is just about as weird as seeing a dude play beach volleyball
So if you are a woman who is thinking and or playing American football - stop immediately
Take a note from Smurfet if you want to be surrounded at all times by guys
But if you're hot and can call plays, I can't wait to see you in the NFL