1. To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Bruce Arians Again Expresses Faith In Carson Palmer

Discussion in 'RAMS - NFL TALK' started by Prime Time, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Prime Time RODerator

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/k...bruce-arians-again-expresses-faith-in-palmer/

Bruce Arians again expresses faith in Palmer
    by Kent Somers' Cardinals blog

Cardinals General Manager Steve Keim believes in acquiring a young quarterback as frequently as possible, maybe not every year, but often.

It’s a philosophy former Packers GM Ron Wolf used successfully for years. If the young quarterback doesn’t become the starter, he might have value on the trade market.

The Cardinals didn’t draft a quarterback this year, and they might not this year, either. At the combine this week, coach Bruce Arians again professed faith in starter Carson Palmer and backup Drew Stanton. He likes Ryan Lindley, too.

Arians told colleague Bob McManaman the same thing last month.

On Friday at the combine, Arians again addressed Palmer, 34, and the quarterback situation.

“There is no doubt he has plenty of juice left in the tank. He’s in great condition. I would think he could play until 36, 37 easily.”

Regarding Stanton, Arians said: “I have all the confidence in the world in Drew. If something God forbid happened to Carson, I’ve got all the confidence in Drew taking over and us winning the division or the championship. He’s been (in the system) two years now, he’s smart, tough. That’s all you want. He’s a guy who can step in the game and doesn’t need any reps.”

But at some point, the Cardinals have to position themselves for the future at quarterback. Palmer turns 35 in December, so saying he can play until 36, 37 “easily” doesn’t exactly translate to his tank being full.

Palmer’s contract has to be addressed after the 2014 season. (A third year, 2015, voids if Palmer is on the roster five business days after the Super Bowl in Glendale.)

Stanton hasn’t thrown a pass in a regular season game since 2010. Lindley last played as a rookie in 2012, long before he was ready.

It would be a surprise if the Cardinals took a quarterback with the 20th selection. But I could see them doing so, say, in the third to seventh round. That would make a ton of sense.