Browns Willing To Trade Up For Manziel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/19/report-browns-willing-to-trade-up-for-manziel/

Here’s one to write down and monitor.

The Browns reportedly want Johnny Manziel. According to Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, the Browns want Manziel badly enough that they would trade up for him, if they have to.

Here’s the specific language of the report: “[T]hey are willing to trade up to land Johnny Manziel in the draft if need be, sources said.” Read literally, it means that the Browns will do whatever they have to do to move up and get Manziel, if that’s what it takes to get him.

While limits surely will apply to the willingness of the Browns, who tried unsuccessfully (and possibly half-heartedly) two years ago to move up and get Robert Griffin III under different management, this report won’t help the Browns get the best possible deal, if it’s true. And if it’s true, it’s more proof that the next coach of the Browns won’t be able to pick his own quarterback — which could scare away any candidates that aren’t already convinced as to the merits of Manziel.

The Browns currently draft fourth. The first three picks belong to Houston, St. Louis (via Washington), and Jacksonville, respectively.

It’s also possible that “sources” are saying things they don’t believe. It could be that the Browns covet another quarterback, and that they hope Manziel gets picked before Cleveland chooses. Of course, if the report flows from a decision by the front office that Manziel isn’t the answer, the front office necessarily will have tied the hands of a head coach who decides that he wants Manziel.

Regardless, the strength of the report is intriguing. Whether it’s true or it’s a smokescreen, it may not be a good luck for a Browns organization that currently is trying to make its job look more enticing. If the front office is making firm decisions about the draft before even hiring a head coach, that could be a warning sign for a candidate who may be more inclined to wait a year or two for another opportunity.

Alan

Legend
We don't need another team wanting to trade up, I think the possibility will be enough. Especially if Snead does the same thing he did before: No haggling. Make your best offer.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'd love to trade with Browns! Perfect scenario!

Alan

Legend
The first of two trades. The second trade would be with the Vikes at #8.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
this is one of those things that makes good copy, but not much substance. Its sort of overstating the obvious when they say they would "entertain the idea of trading for Manziel", and if that is truly what they are looking to, then it doesn't bode well for the Rams. Put yourself in Cleveland's position for a minute. If Manziel is definitely "the guy", wouldn't they be much more inclined to offer Houston the farm, then holding out hope that they can pull something off with the Rams, and that Houston passes on him?

The Rams #2 pick will still be valuable to someone, with players beyond Manziel. But as this post points out, they lost out in the RGIII sweepstakes, why would they run the risk of not going right to the top and trade for the #1?

Alan

Legend
Rams and Gators with a Q:
Who would the Vikings be trading up for?
The best QB left. I'd be happy with their 2nd round pick. I know, it's a dream.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
This "report" doesn't sound like much a report to me, it stinks more of a reach by a reporter who's had his ass handed to him by ESPN lately.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/19/report-browns-willing-to-trade-up-for-manziel/

Here’s one to write down and monitor.

The Browns reportedly want Johnny Manziel. According to Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, the Browns want Manziel badly enough that they would trade up for him, if they have to.

Here’s the specific language of the report: “[T]hey are willing to trade up to land Johnny Manziel in the draft if need be, sources said.” Read literally, it means that the Browns will do whatever they have to do to move up and get Manziel, if that’s what it takes to get him.

While limits surely will apply to the willingness of the Browns, who tried unsuccessfully (and possibly half-heartedly) two years ago to move up and get Robert Griffin III under different management, this report won’t help the Browns get the best possible deal, if it’s true. And if it’s true, it’s more proof that the next coach of the Browns won’t be able to pick his own quarterback — which could scare away any candidates that aren’t already convinced as to the merits of Manziel.

The Browns currently draft fourth. The first three picks belong to Houston, St. Louis (via Washington), and Jacksonville, respectively.

It’s also possible that “sources” are saying things they don’t believe. It could be that the Browns covet another quarterback, and that they hope Manziel gets picked before Cleveland chooses. Of course, if the report flows from a decision by the front office that Manziel isn’t the answer, the front office necessarily will have tied the hands of a head coach who decides that he wants Manziel.

Regardless, the strength of the report is intriguing. Whether it’s true or it’s a smokescreen, it may not be a good luck for a Browns organization that currently is trying to make its job look more enticing. If the front office is making firm decisions about the draft before even hiring a head coach, that could be a warning sign for a candidate who may be more inclined to wait a year or two for another opportunity.

I think they should trade their entire draft. :heh:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
If we trade down and land Watkins then I'm good. If we lose Warlins then that makes me a a saaad panda...

How sad will determine on who we get.

I understand we have to trade down at least once, though. Drafting at #2 is just plane dumb...

fearsomefour

Legend
I'd love to trade with Browns! Perfect scenario!
I agree. Then either take a specific guy the team cant live without or trade down again from 5. 8, 13, 25 and something else (for going from 5 to 8) sounds delicious to me.
If they want to overpay for Manziel I would be happy to help.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
It doesn't help us that much, because they can trade with Houston. The Texans owner already said he would be willing to trade down

iced

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i can't see texans letting go bridgewater.. they need a qb, badly - and have the pick of the litter

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
i can't see texans letting go bridgewater.. they need a qb, badly - and have the pick of the litter
I think the Texans might be more likely to draft Manziel than Bridgewater...Manziel's from Houston and played in a college located near Houston. It would be a huge PR move for them.