Browns Rumored Offer vs Eagles Actual Trade?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Just curious on which offer (The Browns supposed offer or the Eagles actual deal) you think was better? Even if the Browns actually did offer (Which, I have no reason to doubt it) their 1st Round pick (12th overall) for Sam Bradford, I think the Rams got a much better deal from the Eagles! Personally, I much prefer getting a quality QB (Nick Foles), and two pretty good Draft picks over the Browns 12th pick.

TXRams86

The Infamous
the rumor was they offered 19, not 12.
even so, i think the rams made the better deal.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
the rumor was they offered 19, not 12.
even so, i think the rams made the better deal.

Agreed! I wouldn't have made it even if it was for their 12th pick. I think Foles alone is worth more than either one of their 1st round picks!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Browns offer didn't guarantee us anything at QB...so I prefer the Eagles offer.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The Browns offer didn't guarantee us anything at QB...so I prefer the Eagles offer.
Yup. You have to give up a lot more than the 5th rounder we're giving Philly in order to move up and get a QB in this draft. And in year 4, I can't see Fisher or Snead banking on a rookie to get them over the hump. Outside of retaining Bradford and him staying healthy, this was the best possible outcome for us.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I'd take the Eagles deal. Snead was on point when he said the addition of Foles changed things when it came to trade talks.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
well actually maybe Fisher could've dealt bradford to the Browns for their pick then traded up for Mariota or Winston for our 2 number 1's or something. open cap space and gotten a possibly "elite" rookie QB from it. just stirring the pot.. .

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
well actually maybe Fisher could've dealt bradford to the Browns for their pick then traded up for Mariota or Winston for our 2 number 1's or something. open cap space and gotten a possibly "elite" rookie QB from it. just stirring the pot.. .

If that was the plan they would need to guarantee that they could make that trade by calling Oakland, or Tenessee and locking in a deal to trade up. Otherwise they could end up with Two firsts and no QB.

Now, if Philly never offers and that is the only choice is to take the Browns offer, then I would take it. I know most wouldn't but I have no faith in SAMs health and also his psyche with the knee. Zero. zilch, Nada. The name DX keeps ringing in my ears when I think knee injuries, not Thomas Davis. With two firsts at least the Rams can get another good Olinemen with the pick and take their third QB of choice in round 2 and start Keenum until the rookie was ready.

BadCompany

Rookie
I'd take the Eagles deal too, but then I'm sure there are a lot of other variables that probably would have come into play had we of taken the Browns offer. Like, what's the asking price for Jay Cutler? Now I'm not a big Cutler fan, not in the least, but what if the asking price is say a 3rd round pick? In effect you'd be trading Bradford and a 3rd for Cutler and a 1st. We'd have the 10th and 19th overall to play with then. Two offensive linemen in the first, a QB in the second? Would that change any opinions?

For me, probably not. But it would have made for some interesting debates, no?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Well, I suppose we could look at it like this:

Eagles: For Bradford we get Foles and a high pick next year, plus keep our 10 (premium player) = 3 players

Browns: For Bradford we'd have to trade both 1st plus another high pick for Mariota (if even possible) = -1 player

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael

Eagles: For Bradford we get Foles and a high pick next year, plus keep our 10 (premium player) = 3 players

Browns: For Bradford we'd have to trade both 1st plus another high pick for Mariota (if even possible) = -1 player
I think that's how Fisher/Snead viewed it too. It comes through when they say that they wouldn't have traded for a 1st round pick, because you don't solve problems by getting rid of players

RamBill

Legend
Reports: Browns offered 19th pick to Rams for Sam Bradford
By Pat McManamon

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...ns-offered-19th-pick-to-rams-for-sam-bradford

The Cleveland Browns made a serious offer to the St. Louis Rams to acquire quarterback Sam Bradford, according to two reports.

The Browns offered the 19th overall pick to St. Louis. The trade was never completed, and Bradford was eventually traded to the Philadelphia Eagles for Nick Foles and a second-round draft pick.

News of the trade talks was first reported on NFL Network by Charley Casserley, though he did not specify the Browns' trading partner. ESPN Insider Adam Caplan confirmed the offer, with the additional detail that it was to the Rams and not the Eagles.

Precise details of the deal or discussions are not known. Though Eagles coach Chip Kelly said after acquiring Bradford that he was offered a first-round pick for him, Rams coach Jeff Fisher also said on PFT Live that he was offered a first-round selection before the trade that the Rams turned down.

Why would the Rams reject an offer for a first-round pick, the Browns' second in the first round, for a quarterback coming off his second ACL surgery?

Because the Eagles wanted a quarterback to replace Bradford. In acquiring Foles, the Eagles got a player they say they wanted.

The Rams had maintained they did not want to trade Bradford. They insisted at the combine that "deleting him was not the answer." They hired an offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach with heavy input from Bradford. The Rams said the only reason they eventually did trade Bradford was because they received a quarterback in return.

"When we said deleting Sam wasn't the answer, that was true," Rams general manager Les Snead said last week. "When coach [Jeff Fisher] said that was his QB, that was true because at that moment there was no trade and there was definitely nobody like Nick coming in the building."

The Rams could have made the deal with the Browns and use their pick -- 10th overall -- and the 19th from Cleveland to move up to acquire Marcus Mariota in the draft. But they would have done so without certainty that they could acquire the pick they needed to get Mariota.

Had they dealt Bradford and not acquired Mariotab they'd have been in the position the Browns are in now: In need of a quarterback.

The Browns obviously are looking at many options. That they looked into Bradford and at least discussed one of their first-round picks is encouraging.

That it didn't work leaves the team with Josh McCown and Johnny Manziel coming out of rehab and an owner who has vowed the team has to fix its quarterback position.

Now the trade decision rests with the Browns as the draft approaches: Is it worth their efforts to trade up if they can select Mariota?

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
CLE offered No. 19 overall pick for Bradford
5161.jpg

ESPN's Adam Caplan confirms the Browns offered a first-round pick for Sam Bradford.

Per Caplan, the Browns offered their second first rounder, the No. 19 overall selection. The Browns also own the No. 12 pick. It's unclear if the offer came before or after Bradford's trade to Philadelphia. Owner Jimmy Haslam seems hellbent on finding a "franchise quarterback," but only has Josh McCown to show for it. This is something to file away in case Oregon QB Marcus Mariota falls to No. 12. Perhaps Eagles football czar Chip Kelly would then be willing to play ball with the Browns.
Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter
Mar 17 - 2:38 PM

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

Smart post CGI. Well thought out.

RamseyF

Rookie
Name
Ramsey
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...ns-offered-19th-pick-to-rams-for-sam-bradford

Reports: Browns offered 19th pick to Rams for Sam Bradford
March, 17, 2015
MAR 17
4:09
PM ET
By Pat McManamon | ESPN.com

The Cleveland Browns made a serious offer to the St. Louis Rams to acquire quarterback Sam Bradford, according to two reports.

[+] Enlarge
Tom Gannam/AP ImagesThe Rams sought a quarterback to replace Sam Bradford, which perhaps led them to reject the Browns' offer for him.
The Browns offered the No. 19 pick to St. Louis. The trade was never completed, and Bradford eventually was traded to the Philadelphia Eagles for Nick Foles and a second-round draft pick.

News of the trade talks was first reportedon NFL Network by Charley Casserley, although he did not specify the Browns' trading partner. ESPN Insider Adam Caplan confirmed the offer, with the additional detail that it was to the Rams and not the Eagles.

Precise details of the deal or discussions are not known. Although Eagles coach Chip Kelly said after acquiring Bradford that he was offered a first-round pick for him, Rams coach Jeff Fisher also said on PFT Live that he was offered a first-round selection before the trade that the Rams turned down.

Why would the Rams reject an offer for a first-round pick, the Browns' second in the first round, for a quarterback coming off his second ACL surgery?

Because the Eagles wanted a quarterback to replace Bradford. In acquiring Foles, the Eagles got a player they say they wanted.

The Rams had maintained that they did not want to trade Bradford. They insisted at the combine that "deleting him was not the answer." They hired an offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach with heavy input from Bradford. The Rams said the only reason they eventually did trade Bradford was because they received a quarterback in return.

"When we said deleting Sam wasn't the answer, that was true," Rams general manager Les Snead said last week. "When coach [Fisher] said that was his QB, that was true because at that moment there was no trade and there was definitely nobody like Nick coming in the building."

The Rams could have made the deal with the Browns and used their pick -- at No. 10 -- and the 19th from Cleveland to move up to acquire Marcus Mariota in the draft. But they would have done so without certainty that they could acquire the pick they needed to get Mariota.

Had they dealt Bradford and not acquired Mariota, they'd have been in the position the Browns are in now: in need of a quarterback.

The Browns obviously are looking at many options. That they looked into Bradford and at least discussed one of their first-round picks is encouraging.

That it didn't work leaves the team with Josh McCown and Johnny Manziel coming out of rehab and an owner who has vowed the team has to fix its quarterback position.

Now the trade decision rests with the Browns as the draft approaches: Is it worth their efforts to trade up if they can select Mariota?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I would have took the damn trade...Sitting at #10 & 19 woulda been sweet.
what the heck would we have done with #19 anyway?
Trade back #10, get a later first and a another second. Build that damn O-Line this YEAR!!!!
Collins, Flowers, & Erving!!!! Hell, roll with Davis & Keenum behind some serious protection....
Draft somebody in the 3rd or 4th or 5th (Hundley or Fajardo or Petty or Grayson or Bridge or Chris Bonner) Let the rookies sit...