Browns plan on playing "smash-mouth" football

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...wns-plan-on-being-a-runoriented-football-team

Browns plan on being a run-oriented football team
By Conor Orr/Around The NFL Writer

Even with Hue Jackson in tow, the Browns are hellbent on being a run-oriented football team.

"I think when you look at Coach Jackson's background, he is a 'quarterback guru.' He has done a tremendous job over the years with that, but if you look at his record, in terms of running the football and the amount that he runs it, you're going to find out that he really, truly does enjoy running the football," Browns run-game coordinator Kirby Wilson told reporters this week, via the team's official site.

"We are going to be a run-oriented football team. Everything starts with the run game, our offensive line and our backs. As coach told us, we are going to be a physically dominant, running football team."

Though it sounds ridiculous for a team that drafted five wide receivers, including one in the first round, Wilson is preparing us for the obvious. The Bengals succeeded due in large part to the smash-mouth combination of Jeremy Hill and Gio Bernard. If Cleveland plans on starting Robert Griffin III, much of the team's success will be predicated on the fact that the Browns have a viable run-fake option off the snap.

It would be amusing to see the Browns' success come down to the most unheralded position group on the roster after a summer breathlessly analyzing the wideouts, quarterbacks, offensive line and defense.

The team has a stable of young, unproven backs with 2015 draft pick Duke Johnson set to be the breakout star if in fact there is one in Cleveland.

"It's a work in progress right now, we are going through the fundamentals, the technique that is involved with each fundamental," Wilson said, adding, "they'll be (ready) by the time the season starts."

Every quarterback's best friend is a good running game, of course. The Browns' offense may look like a high-tech version of the Bengals' attack from 2015, but they will butter their bread on smash-mouth football.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuXRWiPo5w8

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/29/browns-offensive-attitude-starts-with-the-run-game/

Browns offensive attitude “starts with the run game”
Posted by Josh Alper on May 29, 2016

460106734-e1464538779196.jpg
Getty Images

Earlier this offseason, Browns coach Hue Jackson called running backs Isaiah Crowell and Duke Johnsonas good as I’ve seen” during his time in the NFL.

Crowell and Johnson said that Jackson’s complimentary words gave them a confidence boost heading into the final phase of offseason work and they may get another from running backs coach Kirby Wilson. Wilson says that while Jackson is working on building a passing attack from the ground up, Crowell and Johnson will be responsible for setting the tone offensively in Cleveland.

“We are going to be a run-oriented football team,” Wilson said, via the team’s website. “Everything starts with the run game, our offensive line and our backs. As coach told us, we are going to be a physically dominant, running football team. … We call it ‘big boy football.’ It is all about attitudes and it starts with the run game. You have got to be able to run it, and you have got to be able to stop the run on defense. We are going to take pride in that, being physically superior than our opponent.”

A run-first approach doesn’t come as a surprise based on the situation at quarterback and wide receiver in Cleveland, but it also fits with what Jackson did in Cincinnati over the last few years. The Bengals ranked in the top eight in rushing attempts in each of the last three seasons, which suggests Crowell and Johnson won’t be lacking for chances to confirm Jackson’s assessment of their abilities.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6qrW1mdRmQ

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I watched that whole video.

Wow. And we think we have a struggling franchise.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Browns drafted like 10 WR's and they want to play smash-mouth football? IMO I would have drafted at least one running back and Duke Johnson is more of a receiver IMHO. I do think they will play better under Hue Jackson, but at this point I am still very confused.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...wns-plan-on-being-a-runoriented-football-team

Browns plan on being a run-oriented football team
By Conor Orr/Around The NFL Writer

Even with Hue Jackson in tow, the Browns are hellbent on being a run-oriented football team.

"I think when you look at Coach Jackson's background, he is a 'quarterback guru.' He has done a tremendous job over the years with that, but if you look at his record, in terms of running the football and the amount that he runs it, you're going to find out that he really, truly does enjoy running the football," Browns run-game coordinator Kirby Wilson told reporters this week, via the team's official site.

"We are going to be a run-oriented football team. Everything starts with the run game, our offensive line and our backs. As coach told us, we are going to be a physically dominant, running football team."

Though it sounds ridiculous for a team that drafted five wide receivers, including one in the first round, Wilson is preparing us for the obvious. The Bengals succeeded due in large part to the smash-mouth combination of Jeremy Hill and Gio Bernard. If Cleveland plans on starting Robert Griffin III, much of the team's success will be predicated on the fact that the Browns have a viable run-fake option off the snap.

It would be amusing to see the Browns' success come down to the most unheralded position group on the roster after a summer breathlessly analyzing the wideouts, quarterbacks, offensive line and defense.

The team has a stable of young, unproven backs with 2015 draft pick Duke Johnson set to be the breakout star if in fact there is one in Cleveland.

"It's a work in progress right now, we are going through the fundamentals, the technique that is involved with each fundamental," Wilson said, adding, "they'll be (ready) by the time the season starts."

Every quarterback's best friend is a good running game, of course. The Browns' offense may look like a high-tech version of the Bengals' attack from 2015, but they will butter their bread on smash-mouth football.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuXRWiPo5w8

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/29/browns-offensive-attitude-starts-with-the-run-game/

Browns offensive attitude “starts with the run game”
Posted by Josh Alper on May 29, 2016

460106734-e1464538779196.jpg
Getty Images

Earlier this offseason, Browns coach Hue Jackson called running backs Isaiah Crowell and Duke Johnsonas good as I’ve seen” during his time in the NFL.

Crowell and Johnson said that Jackson’s complimentary words gave them a confidence boost heading into the final phase of offseason work and they may get another from running backs coach Kirby Wilson. Wilson says that while Jackson is working on building a passing attack from the ground up, Crowell and Johnson will be responsible for setting the tone offensively in Cleveland.

“We are going to be a run-oriented football team,” Wilson said, via the team’s website. “Everything starts with the run game, our offensive line and our backs. As coach told us, we are going to be a physically dominant, running football team. … We call it ‘big boy football.’ It is all about attitudes and it starts with the run game. You have got to be able to run it, and you have got to be able to stop the run on defense. We are going to take pride in that, being physically superior than our opponent.”

A run-first approach doesn’t come as a surprise based on the situation at quarterback and wide receiver in Cleveland, but it also fits with what Jackson did in Cincinnati over the last few years. The Bengals ranked in the top eight in rushing attempts in each of the last three seasons, which suggests Crowell and Johnson won’t be lacking for chances to confirm Jackson’s assessment of their abilities.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6qrW1mdRmQ

Just after reading the Title of the op, my first thought was, "What where they playing before 'Flag Football!":) They are a team in perpetual need of a Total Rebuilding!! JMHO

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
If you don't have a decent QB, what else can you do?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love smash mouth football...but I'll settle for winning football these days....