Browns Nearly Traded With 49ers For Jim Harbaugh

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/21/sources-browns-nearly-traded-for-jim-harbaugh/

Sources: Browns nearly traded with 49ers for Jim Harbaugh

Posted by Mike Florio on February 21, 2014
jimharbaugh.jpg
Getty Images

The Browns’ unpredictable head-coaching search nearly finished with what would have been the most unpredictable outcome of any head-coaching search since Jon Gruden was traded from the Raiders to the Buccaneers a dozen years ago.

Per multiple league sources, the Cleveland Browns nearly pulled off a trade with the 49ers for the rights to coach Jim Harbaugh.

A deal that would have sent multiple draft picks to San Francisco was in place between the teams. But Harbaugh ultimately decided not to leave the 49ers.

The 49ers could not immediately be reached for comment. Efforts to contact the 49ers continue.

The Browns declined to comment specifically on whether an effort was made to acquire Jim Harbaugh. The Browns characterized the search as thorough, and the Browns acknowledged that many options were considered. The Browns emphasized that the team is excited about its new coach Mike Pettine.

A deal would have been stunning, for several reasons. Harbaugh has taken the 49ers to the NFC title game in each of his three years with the team. Also, he would have joined the same division as his brother, Ravens coach John Harbaugh.

Which means they would have been squaring off at least twice per year, and competing directly for division titles and/or wild-card positioning.

jjab360

Legend
Wow, you have to imagine that the 49ers didn't want the information that Harbaugh almost left leaking to the 49ers players. Let the dysfunction ensue!

Wow, you have to imagine that the 49ers didn't want the information that Harbaugh almost left leaking to the 49ers players. Let the dysfunction ensue!

I heard that he wanted to leave to get away from CrapOnDick, now how do I leak that to the press as "a source with knowledge of the situation" :sneaky:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That would have been funny. SF would have been making one huge mistake.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This strikes me as an exaggeration. I can see the browns making the call and asking and the 49ers saying no thanks. But to use the word nearly and essentially say Harbaugh decided to stay means he was involved or has a clause n his contract to nix a deal like this. And it implies that the team was willing to do it.

I'm not buying until there is some more info.......it seems fishy to me.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
This strikes me as an exaggeration. I can see the browns making the call and asking and the 49ers saying no thanks. But to use the word nearly and essentially say Harbaugh decided to stay means he was involved or has a clause n his contract to nix a deal like this. And it implies that the team was willing to do it.

I'm not buying until there is some more info.......it seems fishy to me.
Fishy or not, it's a beautiful story. Let's pray it creates some friction with them.
Can't wait for the Harbaugh implosion, it will happen at some point....

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Fishy or not, it's a beautiful story. Let's pray it creates some friction with them.
Can't wait for the Harbaugh implosion, it will happen at some point....

He's set the bar very high......if he runs into a few one and done playoff situations it'll cause strain. He's a very good coach so I'd like to see him out of the division.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Fuck, I would have loved this.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'd rather the 49ers have Harbaugh than more draft picks.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
As long as they have Colon Krapperdick, they won't be winning much of anything. I'm glad they will have to pay him 100 million very soon.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
"But Harbaugh ultimately decided not to leave the 49ers."

Why would he have a choice? Of fucking course he wouldn't leave. Is there a "no trade clause" in his contract lol?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
"But Harbaugh ultimately decided not to leave the 49ers."

Why would he have a choice? Of freaking course he wouldn't leave. Is there a "no trade clause" in his contract lol?
I think in this scenario the coach would have to be willing to leave. It's like when Vermiel signed with the Chiefs. He was willing to go there, but he was still under contract with the Rams. In order to allow that compensation was required.

So in effect it may seem like a trade since he would go to another team and the Whiners would get draft choices. However, the difference is that Harbough would have to sign there. So it's more like someone with a franchise tag signing with another team and the original team get's their first round pick

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
While I wouldn't want to see the whiners roster after receiving a boat load of picks from the Browns...

I would fucking love to watch Harblah lose his mind on the sidelines there in The Factory of Sadness. That would be some fine quality entertainment.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Wow Florio comes out looking bad, he needs to verify what his sources tell him.