Browns' Joe Banner condemns Bernie Kosar's on-air comments

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Browns' Joe Banner condemns Bernie Kosar's on-air comments

Associated Press
Published: Aug. 11, 2013 at 08:30 p.m.
Updated: Aug. 11, 2013 at 08:36 p.m.
0 Likes | 0 Comments

CLEVELAND -- Browns CEO Joe Banner has called former Cleveland quarterback Bernie Kosar's on-air criticism of the St. Louis Rams "unprofessional."

During the TV broadcast of Thursday night's preseason opener, Kosar, working as an analyst, made brutal comments about Rams third-string quarterback Kellen Clemens and the Rams receivers. Banner said the Browns "don't condone the personal and unprofessional approach that Bernie took with some of his comments during the broadcast." Banner said Kosar has been spoken to and "we would expect the situation is resolved moving forward."

The Browns said Kosar called Rams coach Jeff Fisher personally and apologized Sunday.

Fisher said Saturday that he had lost a lot of respect for Kosar, who has not been removed from his commentating job and is expected to be in the booth Thursday night when the Browns host the Detroit Lions.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000229069/article/browns-joe-banner-condemns-bernie-kosars-onair-comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... r-comments</a>

Can merge if you want on this, so many didnt know which to put in lol.

jjab360

Legend
Re: Browns' Joe Banner condemns Bernie Kosar's on-air commen

I'm wondering if Bernie makes an on-air apology.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame

Not surprised that they had to try and get that train wreck straightened out. You can't just let some guy say whatever the hell he wants to say when he's drunk on air. Not if you want to portray yourselves as a professional sports organization.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond

Bernie Kosar is a douche.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

And yet he still has his job and Browns fans don't "condemn" him? Whatever... :roll:

The Browns deserve to be in the toilet...

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler

mr.stlouis said:
The Browns deserve to be in the toilet...

Hence the expression: Taking the Browns to the Super Bowl (one of my favorite poophemisms) :lmao: :lmao:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

HeiseNBerg unable to keep his hands off the universe:
Hence the expression: Taking the Browns to the Super Bowl (one of my favorite poophemisms) :lmao: :lmao:

Haven't you invoked your Uncertainty Principle just by saying that? :lol:

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

I guess I look at this whole incident a bit differently.

My main concern is the performance of the Rams. I just don't care all that much about Kosar's big mouth.

So how did the Rams WRs look in the first quarter? They had 3 drops. And no YAC. Outside of Givens they did look lousy.

Sure, there's lots of promise with the young guys, but I didn't see anything from them while Cleveland had their 1st string defense in there to indicate we've got a solid WR corp.

I wouldn't be surprised if behind closed doors Fisher told the WRs that he will always defend them, but if they just caught the damn ball, he wouldn't have to.

Just my opinion. No big deal.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

max said:
I guess I look at this whole incident a bit differently.

My main concern is the performance of the Rams. I just don't care all that much about Kosar's big mouth.

So how did the Rams WRs look in the first quarter? They had 3 drops. And no YAC. Outside of Givens they did look lousy.

Sure, there's lots of promise with the young guys, but I didn't see anything from them while Cleveland had their 1st string defense in there to indicate we've got a solid WR corp.

I wouldn't be surprised if behind closed doors Fisher told the WRs that he will always defend them, but if they just caught the damn ball, he wouldn't have to.

As most of your opinions are? :shock: :bg: jk

Fisher and all the people who are making an issue of Kosar's on air demeanor are doing the Browns a favor by calling him on it, he could become even more objectionable as he enraptures himself in his false image of glibness.

He was highly unprofessional and FWIW the TV station he broadcast for is who aught to be the most offended,it wasn't his job to get people to tune out. Maybe in some schadenfreude way he enhanced the viewers experience if yer "into that" but there is way more "this stuff stinks" buzz surrounding preseason football already than those selling it want, no need to pay a guy to drive viewers away.

Message board guys like us can lament our teams ineptitude within the proper forums, but Bernie had an inappropriate agenda that needed to be checked.

Not a huge deal , but worth some scrutiny.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

max dissing our starting WRs:
I finally got to see the game and here are a couple of things I noticed. Before anyone yells at me they should keep in mind that my vision sucks and I often miss things, especially when they're moving. Having said that, here goes.

I was much less impressed with Sam's performance than almost everyone else in the universe. I thought his accuracy on many of his passes was a little off, which made the YAC harder to achieve and the catches harder to make. I also felt that I locked on to his primary receiver a few times which lead to a bad outcome. DOn't get me wrong, I thought he had a very good game. I bring this up because I think much of the lack of success of our WR starters wasn't all their fault.

Another thing I noticed was that Austin Davis didn't have as bad a game as I was expecting. Not goo but not that bad either.

Your opinion is always a big deal to me max. I often like the way your mind works. :bg:

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

albefree69 said:
max dissing our starting WRs:
I finally got to see the game and here are a couple of things I noticed. Before anyone yells at me they should keep in mind that my vision sucks and I often miss things, especially when they're moving. Having said that, here goes.

I was much less impressed with Sam's performance than almost everyone else in the universe. I thought his accuracy on many of his passes was a little off, which made the YAC harder to achieve and the catches harder to make. I also felt that I locked on to his primary receiver a few times which lead to a bad outcome. DOn't get me wrong, I thought he had a very good game. I bring this up because I think much of the lack of success of our WR starters wasn't all their fault.

Another thing I noticed was that Austin Davis didn't have as bad a game as I was expecting. Not goo but not that bad either.
Albe sucking up to the max :omg:
Your opinion is always a big deal to me max. I often like the way your mind works. :bg:

Yeah the first pass Sam threw lead DR to turn his back to the defense,if the ball had been where it shoulda been DR had a shot at a big gainer,I noticed that as well

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

I just watched the entire game for the first time as well. Kosar was a "dick with ears" most of the game and other times, had some insightful statements. He obviously didn't give our WRs a fair shake and boy does he have a boner for Clemens. But I thought Clemens pretty much shut him up. Sam played well and he was off a little as Albe stated and I would contribute Tavon's drop to a pass not quite thrown perfect but he will make those catches later as pros must do. Overall, about 3 runs the D should not have given up and about 6 passes. And of course, there was the ST "screw the pooch" moment. Not too concerned about the Ram's play and certainly not concerned about Bernie Kosar's drunken spiel.

Next game awaits!

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

Thordaddy noticing one of my talents:
Yeah the first pass Sam threw lead DR to turn his back to the defense,if the ball had been where it shoulda been DR had a shot at a big gainer,I noticed that as well

They were all mostly catchable but certainly not Warner like.

BTW, I've officially made Warner like a new adjective. It will be out in the next version of Webster dictionary. The meaning is obvious. :bg:

I don't think I deserved that shocked face smiley after your sucking up comment. I work on those skills every day. :lol:

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

albefree69 said:
Thordaddy noticing one of my talents:

They were all mostly catchable but certainly not Warner like.

BTW, I've officially made Warner like a new adjective. It will be out in the next version of Webster dictionary. The meaning is obvious. :bg:

I don't think I deserved that shocked face smiley after your sucking up comment. I work on those skills every day. :lol:

Uh OK "Violet"
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.hark.com/clips/rsvskyypkm-dont-you-know-sarcasm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.hark.com/clips/rsvskyypkm-do ... ow-sarcasm</a>

BTW Warneresque was awready in the dickshunary,lil hedzup fer my homies :ww:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

I don't like "Warneresque." A little too ballet like if you know what I mean. Plus, I don't own the copyrite on it. :cheese:

BTW, I knew you were using sarcasm but I had to ignore that if my joke was to work didn't I? :ww:

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

I thought Sam was under pressure on many of his throws, yet he still got the ball to Pettis and Austin pretty damn well.

One analyst (Matt Miller?) said it was hard to evaluate Sam in the 1st quarter because he was under so much pressure. Kosar also said he like Bradford because he threw with velocity, accuracy, and under pressure.

Of all the phases of the offense, I thought Sam was best. I wasn't impressed at all with the OL play in the first quarter. Dahl wasn't good at all, and Barksdale was weak on the first series. Jake and Wells were good, though. I guess I expected more from the OL. And Saffold is a big downer so far.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

albefree69 said:
I don't like "Warneresque." A little too ballet like if you know what I mean. Plus, I don't own the copyrite on it. :cheese:

BTW, I knew you were using sarcasm but I had to ignore that if my joke was to work didn't I? :ww:

Oh you were kidding, so you're another kidder?

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.maxilyrics.com/billy-crystal-you-look-marvelous-lyrics-9a7b.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.maxilyrics.com/billy-crystal ... -9a7b.html</a>

No ballet but dancing yes!!

You know darling, I love dancing
Dancing to me is like standing still, only faster...
You know what I'm saying to you?
(Marvelous! Wonderful!

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

max replied:
I thought Sam was under pressure on many of his throws, yet he still got the ball to Pettis and Austin pretty damn well.

One analyst (Matt Miller?) said it was hard to evaluate Sam in the 1st quarter because he was under so much pressure. Kosar also said he like Bradford because he threw with velocity, accuracy, and under pressure.

Of all the phases of the offense, I thought Sam was best. I wasn't impressed at all with the OL play in the first quarter. Dahl wasn't good at all, and Barksdale was weak on the first series. Jake and Wells were good, though. I guess I expected more from the OL. And Saffold is a big downer so far.

I don't disagree with that max. Here's the thing though, you can't blame the WRs for no YAC, drops etc. when the throws were partially responsible. It doesn't really matter, as far as the WRs are concerned, that it might not have been Sam's fault. The mitigating factors still happened.

There were some just plain bad drops but overall, I liked the whole offense with the exception of some of the 0-line. It's the D I wasn't thrilled about. Like coach Venturi said, a vanilla scheme is no excuse for the poor job the D-line did. Or the lack of physical conditioning.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

albefree69 said:
max replied:

I don't disagree with that max. Here's the thing though, you can't blame the WRs for no YAC, drops etc. when the throws were partially responsible. It doesn't really matter, as far as the WRs are concerned, that it might not have been Sam's fault. The less than mitigating factors still happened.

There were some just plain bad drops but overall, I liked the whole offense with the exception of some of the 0-line. It's the D I wasn't thrilled about. Like coach Venturi said, a vanilla scheme is no excuse for the poor job the D-line did. Or the lack of physical conditioning.

I wasn't happy with the D either, but the difference is they were pretty good last year so they get a one game pass.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

I would have given Sam an A grade, because almost every throw he had was under pressure, and was catchable/accurate. The Browns deserve credit for making a couple of good plays on the ball though.

Thordaddy, you better watch that pass to DR again, it wasn't a swing route, DR ran his route with his back turned, if anything Sam's throw turned him in the direction that he needed to go.