Browns hire John Dorsey

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nighttrain

Legend
I heard that too, but IMO anything HJ does turns to crap. He is working for the worst team in all of the NFL but how the freak do you manage only 1 win in 28 games?

They claim they did but I haven't read who it was that they interviewed. So I call bullcrap.

The "moneyball" era is going to come to a fast end at the close of the season.
wow, i so disliked Depo when with the Dodgers
train

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
IMO Cleveland took their first big step to respectability. Let DePodesta or somebody else handle the contracts, like we do with Demoff, because IIRC some of his contracts were his downfall. But let him handle the draft and free agency. Keep Hue running the team. Add a QB at #1 finally that won't flop (we hope) some secondary help with their other 1st. A RB and WR in the 2nd and shore up both lines with the rest of their bounty of picks. And Cleveland will turn it around fast.

View: https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/938953239994748929

And then no more factory of sadness? BLASPHEMY!!!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You beat me to it LOL.
And I'm a big fan of the guy.
Its quite possible they dont win a game this year.
Land a top quality GM and tell him the team is all his.
Except for 1 minor detail, your HC is a guy who won only 1 game in 2 years...
Oh Cleveland

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
ESPN’s Adam Schefter also reported that the Rooney Rule had been cleared, but shared a message from John Wooten, chairman of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, a group that works to promote diversity in the league. Wooten took issue with the way the Browns hired Dorsey.“I’ll be talking to the league about it because it bothers me. It doesn’t seem right. Why wouldn’t you interview one of the recommended people?” Wooten told Schefter.
Seriously? Not only do they want the Browns to announce every step, they are outraged that they didn't interview their people? GTFO

That’s one of the problems of pre-compliance with the Rooney Rule. Secretly conducting interviews for a job that isn’t even open yet does nothing to create the impression of an open and inclusive search, which is precisely what the rule named for the late Dan Rooney was intended to do.
Yeah - once again we see the real problem. The Browns didn't tell the idiots in the media every step they were going through. It's a conspiracy!!! Again...GTFO

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
And I'm a big fan of the guy.
Its quite possible they dont win a game this year.
Land a top quality GM and tell him the team is all his.
Except for 1 minor detail, your HC is a guy who won only 1 game in 2 years...
Oh Cleveland

I think he is a very good OC, but maybe not such a good HC.

Seriously? Not only do they want the Browns to announce every step, they are outraged that they didn't interview their people? GTFO

I agree on this, they can interview anyone they want.

Yeah - once again we see the real problem. The Browns didn't tell the idiots in the media every step they were going through.

I think they have to notify the NFL though..........as far as alerting the media to the candidates in each interview normally that's a courtesy. I'm getting the impression that they were interviewing people before actually firing Brown and so maybe wanted to keep a lid on things until they suckered someone........er finally selected a new GM.

Haslem is in the "worst owner club". He has been a lifelong Steelers fan, and he bought the Browns because he offered the most money.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm getting the impression that they were interviewing people before actually firing Brown and so maybe wanted to keep a lid on things until they suckered someone........er finally selected a new GM.
Of course they did. Virtually every management position I have taken, I replaced someone who was still in place. It's more common than not that there would at least be contact made with prospective candidates before firing someone while the season is still going.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well there ya go. All though how do you determine an interview was a sham interview lol? Did they give a minority candidate an interview? How is that a sham? If they already wanted Dorsey that was there opinion on the matter. You can't say they violated the rule just because they had a preference and went through the motions to get there as long as they did go through the motions.

Well, even if it is a sham interview, several minority coaches who have gone through the process either won the job outright or learned so much that they got the next job.

The Rooney rule IS important.

That said, no one involved doesn't understand that sometimes an owner will want a certain guy and unless that guy blows it, he's going to get that guy.

The Rooney rule helped Mike Tomlin maybe more than anyone. He came in as a Rooney rule candidate and won the job for one of the most stable franchises in sports.

Guys like Tomlin and McVay win you over based on how good they are and you can sense that right away.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Every thing i saw was that Hue wanted Goff and when he wasn’t going to be there he opted out.

Same.

Maybe. Then again having what will likely be the top pick in this draft to finally fix that QB position must be very tempting. That plus a HC in place who should be able to coach him up is a solid foundation. Jackson/Darnold could be formidable if they get a few key pieces around them.

It's only tempting if you get to use the pick. You're putting your name behind every move they make. A guy with options like Dorsey isn't going to want to put his name on the crap Haslam does. I can't imagine him signing up if there's a chance of Haslam overruling him on any personnel decisions.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Good call, was just reading this....
they claimed to have interviewed Whaley.
I know they talked with 2 or 3 other people before Dorsey, just don't recall who those people were.
Whaley
They claim they did but I haven't read who it was that they interviewed. So I call bullcrap.
Whaley.....LOLOLOL....they must have done it at midnight.....lol
Browns interviewed Doug Whaley, at some point
this is what I heard as well....Shefty said it too....
next man up will either be Sam Darnold, who I truly believe will stay at USC
Why?
Sam better leave....not sure about that o-Line at SC. He's ready.

How he keeps his job is just mind boggling
Hue can coach.....really can....I think they make a Jax type turn around....
You beat me to it LOL.
Hue can coach....I think the loses....are some type of tactic to build the roster....tank-style

Jackson/Darnold could be formidable if they get a few key pieces around them.
You believe in Jackson? I haven't watched enough of him....but I think if Hue likes him...they could win with him....dynamic player IMO

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
th
Why?
Sam better leave....not sure about that o-Line at SC. He's ready.

Just have a feeling he stays to try to win a National Championship and not wanting to play in Cleveland....The weather's lousy, downtown is a pit, the stadium's falling apart, and we can't draw dick. Another couple of years of this and I'm gonna have to start feeding Cha-Cha dog food.

Now I understand nowadays not true and they have a great fan base, but IMO, Sam stays one more year, just a feeling.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Alshon finally has his "so that's why he got $13mil per" game.

WR Alshon Jeffery vs. CB Trumaine Johnson The Jeffery-Johnson matchup will be an exciting one to watch this week, as it will pit two tall, physical and talented players against each other. Jeffery did not have his best game against Seattle last week. He hauled in four of six targets for 42 yards, with just two yards coming after the catch.

On the season, Carson Wentz has not thrown an interception when targeting his top wideout, earning a 105.3 passer rating (ninth-best mark among receivers).

For the Rams, Johnson is averaging 10 coverage snaps per reception and allowing 1.49 yards per coverage snap. Where this matchup will be particularly interesting is on contested targets. Jeffery is known for his strong hands, catch radius and ability to come down with 50-50 balls.

Johnson is just as good in close quarters, however. Receivers are catching just 16.7 percent of contested targets when matched up with the Rams cornerback this year. This is the best mark in the NFL.
Should be a great matchup for Tru.....
T Lane Johnson vs. Edge Robert Quinn As is seemingly the case every week, Eagles right tackle Lane Johnson will play an important role in determining the success of his offense. Johnson ranks fifth at his position with an 85.1 overall grade in 2017 and is second among active tackles with a 97.3 pass-blocking efficiency.

Over his last four games, the former fourth-overall selection has surrendered just four total pressures while not allowing a sack. He has also been effective in Philadelphia’s top tier run game, with an 82.0 run-block grade this season.

On the opposite side of the field, Robert Quinn is beginning to turn his season around after a rough start on the edge of Wade Phillips’ defense. In his last three games, Quinn has accumulated three sacks and eight stops in run defense. During this time period, the veteran has not missed a tackle, and his 8.4 run-stop percentage ranks second among edge defenders.
Quinn has played better...esp. against the run....
5) The Eagles' rushing attack vs. the Rams' rush defense
The Rams' biggest weakness is probably their run defense. On the season, here is where the Rams rank in some key run defense stats:

Rush yards per game: 122.8/Ranked 27th
Rush yards per attempt: 4.7/Ranked 30th
Rush TD's allowed: 12/t-27th
20+ yard runs: 12/t-29th
40+ yard runs allowed: 4/t-30th

The Eagles should look to their run game early and often to get their offense back on track after a down game last week.
Key to the game right here.....I like how we always stiffen after the half.....and a big run.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Key to the game right here.....I like how we always stiffen after the half.....and a big run.

Not worried about a big run because Blount & Ajayi are not fast, but a constant pounding will be a concern especially if Hager is playing instead of Ogletree. Not posting that Ogletree is good against the run, but IMO, Hager does not offer anything better against the run and is not as athletic.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If only the Browns had stayed the Browns for 6 more years in '96 they'd have a Super Bowl in their trophy case.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Quinn has played better...esp. against the run....

Too bad the author shows he doesn't pay attention listing this matchup. Quinn is generally on the other side of the field. Johnson will have his hands full with Brockers who's arguably playing better.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The weather's lousy, downtown is a pit, the stadium's falling apart, and we can't draw dick. Another couple of years of this and I'm gonna have to start feeding Cha-Cha dog food.

If only the Browns had stayed the Browns for 6 more years in '96 they'd have a Super Bowl in their trophy case.

Downtown is actually really great. And the stadium is excellent too den.

Mojo what are you doing LOL...........they'd have two in the case if they had stayed in CLE for good like they should have. But of course Haslem would still be the owner so who knows.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Downtown is actually really great. And the stadium is excellent too den.

Les, it's a quote from the movie Major League....Been to Cleveland dozen's of times, great town, in June.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Les, it's a quote from the movie Major League....Been to Cleveland dozen's of times, great town, in June.

September and October are good too.

What brought you to my hometown so many times? What part of town do you stay in or are you with family?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
What brought you to my hometown so many times? What part of town do you stay in or are you with family?

Well, being in the Air Force stationed in Dayton (Wright-Patterson) and a UD Grad (1990) made my way up to Columbus (that's why I'm a Buckeye Fan) as well as spending time in Cleveland back then and many other times over the years to visit friends & colleagues.

The Flats, plus Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. the Museum of Art, the Cleveland Arcade and the House of Blues plus taking in a game at the Jake was an awesome time. We usually stay at the Renaissance, but obviously when were younger any place we could hang our wings...Been a few years, but maybe the Mrs. & I need to make are way back with the youngest now in college.