Browns hire John Dorsey

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a nice avatar, however, looks like Jumbo Shrimp to me.
15-oxymorons-1.jpg
I can see it lol

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I concur, I believe Dorsey was handcuffed in Kansas City, however, I like the hire for the Browns and I am sure Dorsey ensured he had total autonomy. My apologies to Head Coach Hue Jackson as it has now been reported he wanted to draft Wentz in 2016 & Watson this year, but was overruled by Farmer Brown.

Eh, I saw the opposite on Wentz. Hue didn't want him at #2. I also thought I saw that Hue didn't want Watson in their spot either.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eh, I saw the opposite on Wentz. Hue didn't want him at #2. I also thought I saw that Hue didn't want Watson in their spot either.
Every thing i saw was that Hue wanted Goff and when he wasn’t going to be there he opted out.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
that was fast....wonder if they followed the Rooney rule? Or since they just fired Sasha, they didn't need too??????

Anyhow, this is a pretty good move. Dorsey built a pretty decent team in KC....

Psycho_X

Legend
that was fast....wonder if they followed the Rooney rule? Or since they just fired Sasha, they didn't need too??????

Anyhow, this is a pretty good move. Dorsey built a pretty decent team in KC....

I don't think the Rooney rule applies to front office positions. Just coaching positions.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good call, was just reading this....

http://www.northjersey.com/story/sp...vid-browns-rooney-rule-john-dorsey/933568001/

The quick hiring of John Dorsey as general manager of the Cleveland Browns has drawn a swift rebuke in the context of the Rooney Rule.

With a deal for Dorsey finalized Thursday night — Sashi Brown was dumped as the team’s executive vice president for football operations earlier in the day — John Wooten, head of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, suspected the Browns might have violated the league’s rule that mandates at least one minority candidate be interviewed for GM and head coaching positions.

“I think John Dorsey is a very top quality GM,” Wooten told USA TODAY Sports in a text message. “I am livid that the Browns would totally ignore the work all of us to make the Rooney Rule meaningful.”
A Browns spokesman, however, told USA TODAY Sports that the team complied with the Rooney Rule before the job was offered to Dorsey, who was relieved as GM of the Kansas City Chiefs last summer. Cleveland wouldn’t reveal the identities of any minority candidates interviewed.

It’s conceivable that Browns owner Jimmy Haslam would have conducted the process without involving the Fritz Pollard Alliance. That would be unusual, given the group headed by Wooten promotes and monitors opportunities for minorities and pushed for the rule named for late Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney. The Rooney Rule was established for coaches in 2003 and later revised to include GMs.

The NFL could investigate the matter. If it is found that the Browns violated the spirit of the Rooney Rule by conducting a sham interview, the team could be fined or docked draft picks, which would be ironic given how hard Brown worked to accumulate them.

Psycho_X

Legend
The Rooney Rule was established for coaches in 2003 and later revised to include GMs.

The NFL could investigate the matter. If it is found that the Browns violated the spirit of the Rooney Rule by conducting a sham interview, the team could be fined or docked draft picks, which would be ironic given how hard Brown worked to accumulate them.

Well there ya go. All though how do you determine an interview was a sham interview lol? Did they give a minority candidate an interview? How is that a sham? If they already wanted Dorsey that was there opinion on the matter. You can't say they violated the rule just because they had a preference and went through the motions to get there as long as they did go through the motions.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know they talked with 2 or 3 other people before Dorsey, just don't recall who those people were.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Don't know how they pulled that off. Dorsey must have contractual assurances that he has final say (and not Haslam).

Maybe. Then again having what will likely be the top pick in this draft to finally fix that QB position must be very tempting. That plus a HC in place who should be able to coach him up is a solid foundation. Jackson/Darnold could be formidable if they get a few key pieces around them.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/08/browns-interviewed-doug-whaley-at-some-point/

Browns interviewed Doug Whaley, at some point
Posted by Mike Florio on December 8, 2017

500206318-e1502570697628.jpg

Getty Images

Amid optics that are far from ideal even in light of the team’s 1-27 record over the last two years, the Browns insist that they complied with the Rooney Rule before hiring John Dorsey to take over the football operation, on the same day that the Browns fired executive V.P. of football operations Sashi Brown.

The NFL has announced (i.e., the NFL’s in-house media operation reports) that the Browns interviewed former Bills G.M. Doug Whaley, and that the Browns “touched base with a few other possible candidates.”

An in-person, face-to-face interview of Whaley would constitute compliance with the letter of the Rooney Rule. That said, Fritz Pollard Alliance executive director John Wooten has said that he’s “livid” with the Browns over the process, which apparently entailed multiple interviews of G.M. candidates before anyone even knew the job was available.

That’s one of the problems of pre-compliance with the Rooney Rule. Secretly conducting interviews for a job that isn’t even open yet does nothing to create the impression of an open and inclusive search, which is precisely what the rule named for the late Dan Rooney was intended to do.

The NFL has been, is, and always will be a public trust. Secrecy should always yield to transparency when it comes to the question of who will (and who won’t) occupy key football positions with one of the league’s 32 teams.

So even if the Browns technically dotted the i’s and crossed the t’s when it comes to being able to say they actually interviewed a minority candidate for a job that wasn’t even open before the guy who held the job was fired, it’s impossible to say that a search no one knew was actually happening was as open and inclusive as it could have and should have been.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/12/7/16750036/cleveland-browns-hire-john-dorsey

Browns Hire Former Chiefs GM John Dorsey
On the same day it fired Sashi Brown, Cleveland has found the next person to take the reins
By Riley McAtee

usa_today_9911889.0.jpg

Trevor Ruszkowski/USA Today

The Browns have turned a new page for their franchise in record time.

On the same day that the team fired Sashi Brown, its executive vice president of football operations, it hired the next man to lead the front office: former Chiefs general manager John Dorsey.

Dorsey was fired by the Chiefs in June after four years and five draft classes with that franchise. Along with coach Andy Reid, Dorsey recorded a 43-21 record with Kansas City and was responsible for drafting current stars like Travis Kelce, Marcus Peters, Tyreek Hill, and Kareem Hunt. He immediately became a name to watch after the Browns fired Brown, and now he has the job.

The Chiefs’ decision to part ways with Dorsey was a shocking move, explained inSports Illustratedas an issue with Dorsey’s management style: “The stock criticism of Dorsey—that while he’s incredibly respected as an evaluator, he’s more scout than manager—was validated with a level of disorganization that was noticeable.”

If he can resolve some of those issues, his history of player evaluation is promising for Cleveland, where he’ll have plenty to work with. The Browns have as many as 13 total picks in next year’s draft, with two in the first round and three in the second—a treasure chest of assets made possible by Brown’s tendency to trade down, but that also saw the franchise pass on promising quarterbacks Carson Wentz and Deshaun Watson. The Browns could have around $100 million in cap space for Dorsey to work with next offseason.

The move may seem fast, but it’s a development Cleveland has been pursuing “for weeks,” according to ESPN. That could create a problem for the Browns, as if they had already come to a de facto agreement with Dorsey before firing Brown, it could represent a violation of the Rooney Rule, which requires teams to interview minority candidates for head coaching and senior front-office jobs. Cleveland.com’s Mary Kay Cabot reported that the Browns satisfied the Rooney Rule, but others were not so sure. Criticism poured in from NFL writers on Twitter:

View: https://twitter.com/DanGrazianoESPN/status/938961241174892545?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theringer.com%2Fnfl%2F2017%2F12%2F7%2F16750036%2Fcleveland-browns-hire-john-dorsey

View: https://twitter.com/bylindsayhjones/status/938959398348525568?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theringer.com%2Fnfl%2F2017%2F12%2F7%2F16750036%2Fcleveland-browns-hire-john-dorsey

ESPN’s Adam Schefter also reported that the Rooney Rule had been cleared, but shared a message from John Wooten, chairman of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, a group that works to promote diversity in the league. Wooten took issue with the way the Browns hired Dorsey.“I’ll be talking to the league about it because it bothers me. It doesn’t seem right. Why wouldn’t you interview one of the recommended people?” Wooten told Schefter.

The Browns have not disclosed which minority candidate they interviewed or when.

Dorsey will be introduced at a press conference Friday. The Browns have already confirmed that coach Hue Jackson will return in 2018, giving the team some continuity heading into next season as they try to weather a year in which they’ve gone 0-12 so far. How Dorsey works to improve Jackson’s roster could prove to be one of the greatest and most interesting team-building challenges of this offseason.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Eh, I saw the opposite on Wentz. Hue didn't want him at #2.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why? Wentz was tailored made for Cleveland in all aspects...Well, next man up will either be Sam Darnold, who I truly believe will stay at USC one more year or Joshua Ballinger Lippincott Rosen, who IMO, will be a Cleveland Brown.

Ram65

Legend
Certainly will have a lot of capital to work with. A good draft and they can change things. A great draft and it could be a foundation for many years. Looks like 7 picks in the top 65 or so. They have been making moves to clear cap and get picks.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...ns-team-needs-draft-picks-prospects-to-watch/

2018 draft picks

• Round 1: Cleveland, Houston
  • Round 2: Cleveland, Houston, Philadelphia
  • Round 3: Cleveland
  • Round 4: Cleveland, Carolina
  • Round 5: Cleveland, Kansas City
  • Round 6: Cleveland
  • Round 7: Cleveland

Stump23

Rookie
Hue is a tool from what i know. My neighbor played at USC during Hue's time there and said he couldn't coach a team out of a paper bag. If he had ANY decision making clout during the drafts to overlook Wentz and Watson to endorse Kiser then consider that as well. Now if they can only change their horrid uniforms..

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd like to see what Hue can do with a competent GM...
He's won 1 game in 2 years. With all the incompetence on that team, the worst singe season in the last 15 years was 3 wins.
How he keeps his job is just mind boggling

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Every thing i saw was that Hue wanted Goff and when he wasn’t going to be there he opted out.

I heard that too, but IMO anything HJ does turns to shit. He is working for the worst team in all of the NFL but how the fuck do you manage only 1 win in 28 games?

They claim they did but I haven't read who it was that they interviewed. So I call bullshit.

The "moneyball" era is going to come to a fast end at the close of the season.