Browns hire Gregg Williams for DC job/Blake Williams for LB coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ive-coordinator-gregg-williams-hires-his-son/

New Browns defensive coordinator Gregg Williams hires his son
Posted by Zac Jackson on January 16, 2017

The Browns are hiring Blake Williams as their new linebackers coach and Jerod Kruse as assistant defensive backs coach, per multiple reports.

Williams is the son of Gregg Williams, who was hired as the Browns’ defensive coordinator earlier this month. The Browns have made staff changes on both sides of the ball since the end of last season.

Blake Williams worked under his father with both the Saints and Rams. He’s spent the last four seasons coaching in the college ranks, the last two at Southeastern Louisiana.

Kruse will work under DeWayne Walker, who was hired as the secondary coach last week. Kruse also coached at Southeastern Louisiana.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/17/report-clyde-simmons-joining-browns-coaching-staff/

Report: Clyde Simmons joining Browns coaching staff
Posted by Josh Alper on January 17, 2017

2717181-e1484679463774.jpg
Getty Images

The Browns brought Gregg Williams in from the Rams to be their defensive coordinator and one of Williams’ assistants in Los Angeles will reportedly be making the trip with him.

Alex Marvez of Sporting News reports that Clyde Simmons will be joining the Browns coaching staff. Simmons spent the last five years as the assistant defensive line coach in the Rams.

Marvez reports that he will be coaching that position group with the Browns as well, although neither defensive line coach Robert Nunn nor assistant defensive line coach Ken Delgado were among the four defensive coaches relieved of their duties earlier this month.

The Rams job was Simmons’ first position on an NFL staff. He spent 15 years as an NFL player for the Eagles, Cardinals, Jaguars, Bengals and Bears and ranks 20th in NFL history with 121.5 sacks.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The change in DC's may give us a clue as to whether Williams was really good.. or not.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-will-be-more-aggressive-or-physical-than-us/

Gregg Williams: No one will be more aggressive or physical than us
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 19, 2017

453364246.jpg
Getty Images

New Browns defensive coordinator Gregg Williams says his players will love playing for him in Cleveland because they’re going to be the toughest defense in the league.

“From an attitude standpoint, they’re never going to play for anybody that’s going to let them play more attacking, more physical, more aggressive than me. I’ll back them up,” he said. “I’ve only coached two or three guys in the league that I’ve ever had to put my hand on and back up. My whole life I’ve been trying to speed up your decisions and speed up your toughness and get you to play harder, get you to play tougher, get you to play meaner, and so that will be the way.”

Of course, Williams’ coaching career was almost derailed because he was allegedly too aggressive, too physical and too mean during the Bountygate scandal in New Orleans. Asked about that, Williams quickly shut down that line of questioning.

“Yeah, we’re not here to talk about that,” Williams told reporters. “What else do you want to talk about?”

What folks in Cleveland will want to talk about is whether Williams can turn around one of the worst defenses in football. He thinks his aggressive and physical system will do just that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The change in DC's may give us a clue as to whether Williams was really good.. or not.
Well if he can turn Cleveland around, I think that would speak larger volumes than what happens with the Rams
I'm just glad he's gone...

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“From an attitude standpoint, they’re never going to play for anybody that’s going to let them play more attacking, more physical, more aggressive than me..well unless its 3rd and 4 beacuse then? ,, ill play my corners 10 yards off the line of scrimmage allowing the easy 1st down or you know if we are 14 points up in the fourth qtr with no offensive output ill go into a prevent defense allowing the other team to beat us with 6 minutes to go but other than that totally aggressive . I’ll back them up,” he said. “I’ve only coached two or three guys in the league that I’ve ever had to put my hand on and back up. My whole life I’ve been trying to speed up your decisions and speed up your toughness and get you to play harder, get you to play tougher, get you to play meaner, and so that will be the way.”

FIFY Gregg

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
It's weird reading about Gregg Williams coaching another team.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ins-expects-browns-to-be-busy-in-free-agency/

Gregg Williams praises Jamie Collins, expects Browns to be busy in free agency
Posted by Zac Jackson on January 26, 2017

453362198-e1483895877139.jpg
Getty Images

New Browns defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has high praise for linebacker Jamie Collins, who signed a new deal with the team this week, and thinks the team will be “aggressive” in adding pieces when free agency opens in March.

Williams and the Browns staff are coaching in this week’s Senior Bowl, and in an interview with 92.3 The Fan in Cleveland Williams said Collins is a special talent and an important piece.

“The players want to see that we get it as an organization, as a staff, as a personnel department keeping the best guys,” Williams said. “Unless there are problems off the field, why don’t you work hard to keep your own guys? This is a great message to the locker room. Guys respect Jamie.

I’m a better coach when I have players like that. He may be one of the better players I’ve had a chance to coach for a long time. I can’t wait to get a chance to coach him. I’m so excited about signing him.”

The Browns acquired Collins in a trade with the Patriots just before last season’s trade deadline, and having him signed six weeks before free agency opens is a sign the Browns prioritized keeping him. Thursday, Williams said he expects that to be just the first of a bunch of moves the Browns make in an effort to improve. They also hold the No. 1 pick and No. 12 pick in the first round of this year’s draft.

“One of the things [Browns owner] Jimmy Haslam and [head coach] Hue Jackson and I talked about when we sat and talked about this going into this venture together is we were going to be aggressive not only in scheme but in personnel too,” Williams said. “We have to do a good job in everything from coaching to playing to acquiring personnel and I’d be shocked if we weren’t aggressive in doing that.

“I’ve been very impressed with some of the people doing the evaluations too. We’ll get into that. I really haven’t had much time to get into that so far but we’ll get into that over the next couple of weeks.”