Browns hire Gregg Williams for DC job/Blake Williams for LB coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
False hope, imo. Why would the incoming DC want these guys?

Why wouldn't an incoming HC/DC want a guy like Waufle, who has done a good job with almost every player he's been given? A smart HC/DC would look at Waufle, look at how well he's developed the players he's had, and would ask him to stick around. He's one of the most respected DL coaches in the NFL for a reason.

As to the larger topic of losing Williams, mixed feelings. Part of me thinks it was time for him to move on, him being somewhat loyal to Fisher. His moving on might be an indication that his heart really wasn't in it with his buddy Jeff gone. On the other hand, I think on balance he's done an excellent job with this defense, which could have been elite if the team ever had even a competent offense, much less a good one.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I doubt he would have had much else to choose from. When you take a job with the Browns... you must know the end is near.

You would think after the last 3 seasons GW would have learned to take a job for a team that has an O. I believe Hue Jackson is a good coach, but clevelands O has had many of the same struggles the Rams have had. Inconsistent QB play, I think the browns have started more QBs than the Rams over the past 5 yrs. None of which had much success or luck staying healthy, sound familiar?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
False hope, imo. Why would the incoming DC want these guys? What if the new HC believes in the 3-4 defense? What if he doesn't want any of the old staff around, probably all of which he has never worked with before? Whatever works no matter how it shakes out, but in my experience its rare that old coaching staff (any of them) survive in a normal HC change, unless that HC is emasculated by the owner/GM because they they think they know more (Jerry Jones).

I think differently most coaches be they trending downward currently or trending upwards on the desired scale have been part of many teams successful & UN successful teams. I would not DISVALUE a unit coach like a Waufle or a Bush just because they were part of a 5 yr losing team with Fisher @ the helm. IMO a smart new HC is going to seek to put together a coaching staff that meets his criteria that will help him become a winning HC for the Organization.

Reference a newly hired DC lets say like Texans LBs coach Mike Vrabel moving this current roster into a 34 defense......its possible but it sure would set this Ram Organization back further in terms of yrs of rebuilding but Vrabel has played both 43 & 34 defenses & excelled. He has played DE, OLB & ILB'er with the Buckeyes, Pittsburgh, New England & KC.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why wouldn't an incoming HC/DC want a guy like Waufle, who has done a good job with almost every player he's been given? A smart HC/DC would look at Waufle, look at how well he's developed the players he's had, and would ask him to stick around. He's one of the most respected DL coaches in the NFL for a reason.

As to the larger topic of losing Williams, mixed feelings. Part of me thinks it was time for him to move on, him being somewhat loyal to Fisher. His moving on might be an indication that his heart really wasn't in it with his buddy Jeff gone. On the other hand, I think on balance he's done an excellent job with this defense, which could have been elite if the team ever had even a competent offense, much less a good one.

Cronyism is one reason, that we have seen with every coach that has arrived with the Rams after Martz..."Friends of Linehan,Spags, and Fisher"....I wasn't maligning our coaches from last year, it's just a matter of comfort of working with others in the past, which seems to mean more than just having experience for incoming coachs (HC,DC,and OC's)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The fact that our team didn't quite in 2014 and 2015 undermines the argument that it was the cause of the lack of effort.
I think the 5 years of the same ole...made them realize nothing would change. The players caused this coaching change. Had we went 7-9 again, Fish & GW would still be here.
Most of our corners, are man to man....I'd say all except EJ Gaines.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do we have the right players for a 3-4 defense? I'm not seeing it. Is Brockers the big, fat guy that can plug up the middle? Aaron Donald can switch to DE. Hayes will be 32 by the time the season starts. Quinn unfortunately seems like he's fading away.

Do we have four solid linebackers? Barron, a converted safety is on the small side. Ogletree is fine. Maybe a couple of the youngsters can step in.

It seems that our offensive needs the most attention during the draft and free agency. O-line and wide receivers should be at the top of the list. This doesn't leave a lot of room for revamping the defense. Let's hope the next HC and DC is all in on keeping a 4-3 defense.
I have seen several times, a new coach coming in decides to have a 3-4 defense, no matter about the composition of the previous years defense. Maybe it's the "smartest guy in the room" syndrome, and thinks he can acquire the right guys soon enough before being fired.,.,..

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Cronyism is one reason, that we have seen with every coach that has arrived with the Rams after Martz..."Friends of Linehan,Spags, and Fisher"....I wasn't maligning our coaches from last year, it's just a matter of comfort of working with others in the past, which seems to mean more than just having experience for incoming coachs (HC,DC,and OC's)

Doesn't always happen though. Some new HC's keep parts of the old staff when they come in. For one thing, it makes assembling a new staff easier.

I'll take a wait and see approach. A smart coach would be wise to keep Waufle and Fassel around in their respective roles.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
You would think after the last 3 seasons GW would have learned to take a job for a team that has an O. I believe Hue Jackson is a good coach, but clevelands O has had many of the same struggles the Rams have had. Inconsistent QB play, I think the browns have started more QBs than the Rams over the past 5 yrs. None of which had much success or luck staying healthy, sound familiar?

Cleveland's problems on O are more an issue of talent than coaching. Jackson has proven that he can coach offense and that he actually values scoring points and extending a lead (rather than sitting on one) when there is a chance to do so, unlike our recently departed head coach.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams will completely overhaul staff with DC Gregg Williams gone

By Alden Gonzalez

LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Rams personnel flew to Massachusetts and Florida over the weekend, continuing the interview process for their vacant head coaching position. And in the midst of their travels, they came to terms with something: their coaching staff will indeed require a complete overhaul.

Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams left to join Cleveland on Sunday and is expected to take several of the Rams' assistants with him.

On the very first day of their offseason, the Rams informed all coaches -- even the ones they were interested in retaining -- that they were free to seek alternative opportunities. One potential scenario could've involved the Rams hiring a young, offensive-minded head coach and retaining Williams and his defensive staff, thus allowing the new coach to focus on one side of the ball. But the idea was always far-fetched, and perhaps Williams' departure was for the best.

A clean slate might be necessary right now.

The day of Jeff Fisher's firing on Dec. 12, Rams COO Kevin Demoff stressed that the organization would remain open-minded in its search and would not simply gravitate toward offensive-minded coaches. They have held true to that so far. Yes, the Rams have interviewed several offensive coordinators. They sat down with Harold Goodwin of Arizona, Sean McVay of Washington and Josh McDaniels of New England. They were going to interview Kyle Shanahan of Atlanta over the weekend, but weather in Boston altered their plans, so they'll reschedule, probably for some time this week.

On Saturday, the Rams also interviewed Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia. On Sunday in Florida, they interviewed Buffalo's Anthony Lynn, who went from running backs coach to offensive coordinator to interim coach in a span of five months, and Jacksonville interim coach Doug Marrone, who came up coaching offensive linemen. This week, they'll probably sit down with a couple more defensive coordinators -- Teryl Austin (Detroit) and Vance Joseph (Miami).

Read Complete Article
[www.espn.com]

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Except it did work for the past three years. In fact, it was working incredibly well this year .
If you say so.
dude_perfect_rams.jpg

Bruce2980

Starter
Why wouldn't an incoming HC/DC want a guy like Waufle, who has done a good job with almost every player he's been given? A smart HC/DC would look at Waufle, look at how well he's developed the players he's had, and would ask him to stick around. He's one of the most respected DL coaches in the NFL for a reason..
NEPOTISM, CRONYISM

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Do we have the right players for a 3-4 defense? I'm not seeing it. Is Brockers the big, fat guy that can plug up the middle? Aaron Donald can switch to DE. Hayes will be 32 by the time the season starts. Quinn unfortunately seems like he's fading away.

Do we have four solid linebackers? Barron, a converted safety is on the small side. Ogletree is fine. Maybe a couple of the youngsters can step in.

It seems that our offensive needs the most attention during the draft and free agency. O-line and wide receivers should be at the top of the list. This doesn't leave a lot of room for revamping the defense. Let's hope the next HC and DC is all in on keeping a 4-3 defense.
I can't resist the urge to comment that he's definitely not a drop into coverage NT :)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Some comments on the Gregg William's hire by Browns fans:

http://www.barkinghard.com/forums/s...ors-are-circulating-Ray-Horton-is-on-the-outs

The scumbag Gregg Williams that put hits out on players? Awesome.....
--------
I actually prefer Williams simply because he is significantly younger than Wade and I wouldn't be surprised if he retires randomly due to a health concern.
----------
This is huge. This makes me happy. This gives me hope.
----------
Produce and you play. It was that simple under Williams. He didn’t cater to favorites, and he had no problem sitting you down if the production wasn’t there.
----------

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOryjg0MYrg

-----------
Rams boards like him. http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/...illiams.48184/

They're concern is Trumaine Johnson(CB) and TJ McDonald(S) are both FAs and they might end up in CLE. Rams might have to tag one.
---------
If we can get Trumaine to follow Williams, that would be amaze-balls.
----------
As for Williams, he is a great DC and I think we have personnel that he can work with. The 4-3 comments are only partially true. He runs an under scheme that closely mirrors a 3-4 single gap
----------

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t-L-4I-MOE

----------
From Matt Miller:
Brandon Fisher is a really good up-and-coming coach on defense. Big get for the Browns on new staff.
-----------
I like the move. I'm a little sceptical because LA's defence was awful this season, but they have tremendous talent on that roster. I didn't extensively watch LA or anything like that, but they should have been a lot better than they were.
-----------
If we can also snag Mike Waufle to handle our DL then this change will most definitely be a huge improvement over Horton.
----------
I know this is a big speculation on my part, but why would Williams accept the DC job on the Cleveland Browns? Let me answer that with a question....

What do the Browns have that's so special? Answer: the first overall pick and a draftee-in-waiting in Garrett described by some as a "once-in-a-generation player."

And as we all know the Browns have five top-65 picks in a draft that's deep with defensive talent. Coaches love to teach and mold players. Williams can make a name for himself by being the DC who molded Garrett into a superstar and returned the Browns to long-lost glory.
-----------

View: https://twitter.com/JLaurinaitis55/status/817933372118929408

----------
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1794097-the-insiders-guide-to-a-gregg-williams-defense

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

http://www.barkinghard.com/forums/s...ors-are-circulating-Ray-Horton-is-on-the-outs

--------
I actually prefer Williams simply because he is significantly younger than Wade and I wouldn't be surprised if he retires randomly due to a health concern.
----------
----------
Produce and you play. It was that simple under Williams. He didn’t cater to favorites, and he had no problem sitting you down if the production wasn’t there.
----------

-----------

They're concern is Trumaine Johnson(CB) and TJ McDonald(S) are both FAs and they might end up in CLE. Rams might have to tag one.
---------
----------
As for Williams, he is a great DC and I think we have personnel that he can work with. The 4-3 comments are only partially true. He runs an under scheme that closely mirrors a 3-4 single gap
----------

----------
From Matt Miller:
Brandon Fisher is a really good up-and-coming coach on defense. Big get for the Browns on new staff.
-----------
I like the move. I'm a little sceptical because LA's defence was awful this season, but they have tremendous talent on that roster. I didn't extensively watch LA or anything like that, but they should have been a lot better than they were.
-----------
If we can also snag Mike Waufle to handle our DL then this change will most definitely be a huge improvement over Horton.
----------
I know this is a big speculation on my part, but why would Williams accept the DC job on the Cleveland Browns? Let me answer that with a question....

What do the Browns have that's so special? Answer: the first overall pick and a draftee-in-waiting in Garrett described by some as a "once-in-a-generation player."

And as we all know the Browns have five top-65 picks in a draft that's deep with defensive talent. Coaches love to teach and mold players. Williams can make a name for himself by being the DC who molded Garrett into a superstar and returned the Browns to long-lost glory.
-----------

----------
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1794097-the-insiders-guide-to-a-gregg-williams-defense

What board are they reading? No way we tag Tru again, or McDonald.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame

--------
----------
----------
----------

-----------

---------
----------
----------

----------
From Matt Miller:
-----------
-----------
----------

-----------

----------

That was really cool! Thanks for sharing.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gregg Williams isn't great at what he does but he's still pretty damn good when he has the right players.
Gotta call you on this one... doesn't that describe most coaches? :LOL::sneaky:;)