Brown, Robbins, and Bannan Released(add in Bartell and Hall)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: Brown, Robbins, and Bannan Released(add in Bartell and H

C.J. Ah You wasnt tendered, so he is also done as a Ram

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

zn said:
DR RAM said:
Memento said:
Bartell's release was saddening, but not unsurprising when you consider his neck injury. They don't want to take a chance with that. Hall's was surprising, but that'll leave Quinn to take the reins as the starter and Sims to take a larger role as a sub. I know that X likes Miller, but Amendola's more than good enough for us, and the suspension hurts him. I'm not surprised with Nixon at all. I just hope that Chamberlain will be retained.

I wish nothing but the best for all of them.
I truly think it has less to do with the neck injury and EVERYTHING to do with the cap hit. This regime has a vision and I think they will go balls out once free agency starts. WHO they are targeting IS the real question, IMO.

They couldn't extend him?

And they will find a FA CB who costs less?

If it's a rookie they still need another corner.
It's pretty clear that Fisher is going with HIS guys....whoever they may be. We don't know what happens behind the scenes, maybe they tried to get him to restructure. What I do know is that there is a shell of a team left...a shell. We will have to keep up to even know who everyone is. If I was GM, I would keep the good players that I know I have...Bartell was the biggest sting to me so far.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Yeah - not sure if they are going to try to resign Bartell at a lower rate. I could see him ending up in NO.

I'm guessing they are going to go after Finnegan hard - as to the other CB spot.... Maybe they like what they see in Gordy? Guess maybe I'm the only one who didn't think King was awful. He should be at least able to add some depth though couldn't he?

I just doubt Clairbourne is there at 6 and I just can't see the Rams banking on him being there. That - I would think (hope) - means they have a plan.

steferfootball

Starter

C.J. Ah You was a decent player. I guess Bartel isn't that healthy.

All the other guys needed to go.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo

steferfootball said:
C.J. Ah You was a decent player. I guess Bartel isn't that healthy.

All the other guys needed to go.

Yup that's pretty much it. I think as fans we grow attached to veteran guys esp on our Rams which are very few between in the last what 5-10 years? Bartell was solid when he was on the field and we cannot experience another disaster at cb ever again.
I would be shocked literally if Finnegan is not confirmed on a multi year deal with our Rams by tomorrow night. I have no sources I'm just putting the Bartell release and potential to solidfy that secondary with another impact guy like Mikell was last season. Billy D and Spags did make some good acquisitions that has already helped Fisher out which is fair. We were also in a mess the last 3 years and yada yada it's in the past an here's to a fresh reborned feeling that never died but definitely lost energy morr times than i want to recall last season.

Anonymous

LOTTSA DIFFERENT RESPONSES TO THE CUTS

@StullySTL

Rams goal is to be about $22mil under cap before tomorrow

sj39

I've been busy today but I hate to see guys get released. Especially James Hall, it was a honor and a pleasure to call you a teammate.

@SoftliSTL

James Hall was a leader for the Rams and still productive on the field, they may bring him back at league minimum.

Building defense will be the Rams focus as they move closer to Free Agency.

Agamemnon

They were over the cap limit on Jasons. So they had to cut one before they could sign the DT from Tenn, Jason Jones.

LMU93

Robbins was a no-brainer. He was toast. I could see bringing Bannan back for the veteran minimum as a 4th DT.

KY Ram

For 2.8 I would like to have seen us try to restructure Brown, or just let him play it our for the year. A new o=line coach might have been able to turn him around. He was a pro bowler before.

AzJack

I agree that those guys will still play. But I also am not the least bit surprised that Fisher wants to re-tool this team. Looks like another three year plan to me.

RamsFan28

Cutting a guy like Bannan (who is a scrub on a good team) opens up room to get guys like Jones who will seriously help the middle of our defense. Hall is the first cut I'm not a fan of. Thought he could still be a role player or at the very least a depth guy.

F. Mulder

I would like to see if they can squeeze another year out of Hall. He is versatile (DE abd DT) and would be rotational so he'd be looking at limited snaps and should stay fresh. He also seems like a good locker room guy.

Safer

Actually, I thought Bannan was petty decent vs the run. Freddie is probably done..and Brown just caved in and quit on our team last year.

MacKeyser

Maybe the deal with Bannan is that they want a different type of role player for the same price. Whatever Bannan was bringing, Fisher wants something different. So, for the same price, Player X will bring more under Fisher even though empirically the two players are about the same for the same price. Under Fisher's system, Player X will bring more than Bannan. Or at least that will be the goal.

TORRY HOLT

BigGame81

@BiggameCB I enjoyed battling with Ron. Strong, long arms, fast, very smart player. He worked at his game and he improved.

laram

Great cuts, all descending players.....

so far I'm liking what I'm seeing from Snead and Fisher.

Not afraid to make moves and do what needs to be done.

Tough decisions are for big boys and looks like we got a couple of big boys.

biggame1190

Very saddened by this news for Hall and Bartell. Both were two of my favorites. I for one believe Bartell when he says his neck is better, and stronger.

Now we have a even bigger question mark at CB (as if we did not already with every other CB on the roster).

We will miss James Hall's leadership on and off the field, and his always solid play and 100% effort.

chabram

I liked both Bartell and Hall. With 7 sacks last season, I thought Hall would be safe as he was productive in splitting time with Quinn.

I know this saves us cap room, but what is cap room w/o players. I guess I now know why we weren't "restructuring" contracts as they just planned on cutting them all in a Black Tuesday event. I can understand some of these, but who's going to play CB or DT? I know, have faith in Fisher. I will when I see the product on the field.

snowman
Other teams are letting pretty good players go, better ones that the Rams cut today, and there will be more to come. Two players cut recently, ROT Eric Winston by Houston and ROG Anthony Herrera by Minnesota, would greatly improve our offensive line if we use the cap space from cutting Bartell, et al to sign them.

Seattle released CB Marcus Trufant, 31 years old, with a cap number of $7.0 M. The Vikings also released LOG Steve Hutchinson. All the players the Colts released still have game too, but there has to be turnover to add new players. i will wait to judge all this until a couple of weeks into the free agency shopping spree.

Superfan24

Too bad on Bartell and Hall really. liked Bartell. Is there a chance they could restructure or are they just moving on? That would create a hole on the D. I thought Bartell could definitely come back strong next year. Oh well I guess I better get used to all the change.....

DR RAM

It's pretty clear that Fisher is going with HIS guys....whoever they may be. We don't know what happens behind the scenes, maybe they tried to get Bartell to restructure. What I do know is that there is a shell of a team left...a shell. We will have to keep up to even know who everyone is. If I was GM, I would keep the good players that I know I have...Bartell was the biggest sting to me so far.

I think Brown had some things that the Rams couldn't fix and that is too bad. It will be very interesting to see how our offensive and defensive lines add up.

wv ram

Its a 'reasonable' choice. And i dont agree that its a total 'rebuild mode'. Its a 'modified rebuild' on fisher's part. Hes not blowing up the team, as you know. Its not like what Spagz was forced to do. Fisher is just tinkering.

ghost@frii.com

It appears that we made ourselves more holes in a team that was pretty hole-y to begin with.
I'll reserve judgement until I see what their plan was, but for the small savings I can't see why we didn't bring Brown to camp.

Bartell brought us some $$$ and I think they are set on Finnegan, so that doesn't surprise. The others I can understand the reasoning, even if I don't personally agree. I would expect us to go after Jason Jones and maybe even Haynesworth.

Zooey

I'm surprised at the Hall cut. Of course, they may re-sign some of those guys. But they just created some gaping holes in the roster.

Fisher may not necessarily have cut these guys because he thinks the Rams can upgrade at those positions - although they obviously COULD. But it may not be a straightforward, or one-for-one, kind of thing. In other words, they may not have said, "We need stronger CBs, so let's cut Bartell." It could be that the Rams are redistributing wealth, more-or-less. Perhaps they see upgrading the OL as essential, and are freeing up resources to do it. I mean, maybe they take a hit with cutting Bartell, but use the savings to invest in a G and a C, and accept going forward with the CBs as they are minus Bartell. That's just one example. After all, the Rams didn't have Bartell last year.

And, of course, as others have pointed out, maybe they have guys already lined up in FA. They may not need Hall and Bannan because they think they are getting Jones, who they see filling both of those roles.Dunno. We know nothing compared to what we will know after FA signings take place. But there is a plan. This isn't just a willy-nilly, ignorant slash into the roster. That I'm pretty sure of.

InvaderRam

well, i think it's possible that we have to think beyond this year. fisher might be thinking we're just gonna have to eat it this year. again. and then next year, we'll have that much more salary cap space to sign free agents. we eat it salary cap-wise this year. and get it back next year. just a thought.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

I thank Bartell and Hall for the great years. They are both class acts.

None of these players that were cut are ever going to get any better, their best days are behind them so on a 2-14 team something has to give. If it takes a couple years to become a winning team they wouldn't be part of anyway so now's the time to move on.

They didn't cut any so called skill pos. players today except Bartell. That could be telling on how they plan to draft and approach free agency.

Anonymous

Yamahopper said:

None of these players that were cut are ever going to get any better, their best days are behind them so on a 2-14 team something has to give. If it takes a couple years to become a winning team they wouldn't be part of anyway so now's the time to move on.

They didn't cut any so called skill pos. players today except Bartell. That could be telling on how they plan to draft and approach free agency.

But they weren't a 2-14 team. They're a team which was much better than that but got gored by injuries. There was a winning group there, with some holes--and they only needed to add, not start over.

New coaches often do that--throw out the baby with the bathwater.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

zn said:
Yamahopper said:

But they weren't a 2-14 team. They're a team which was much better than that but got gored by injuries. There was a winning group there, with some holes--and they only needed to add, not start over.

Throw out the baby! That would be murder. The new regime is not murdering the team...they are re-birthing the team....I hope. I wish...I .....

They are trying to resurrect the Rams. Bring them back to relevance. This is a proud and storied franchise....bring us back. Please....bring us warriors that will fight...fight to the end....the end that is known as the Superbowl. Too many times in the past we just missed out...and too many times we just didn't present ourselves as worthy.

This is a true reset. A chance to start over. A chance to establish a precedent of dominance! Anything less would be disappointing....

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

zn said:
Yamahopper said:

It's cap thing.

The Babies were in their 30's or near it that got thrown out with the bath water.

Yeah they had injuries, But that wasn't the only reasons they were 31st in run D. Or the reason Brown was tipping plays and getting pushed back into the QB. Etc. When you start a season with the 2nd oldest defense and 6th oldest team there will be turnover even after a winning season. If they finished 8-8 most of these players would have been cashed in just the same.

So which is better, wasting another year of the young core's limited time in hoping a 35 year old DT plays like he's 25 again. Or just moving on and trying to get younger and better.

The hardest cuts may yet becoming.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

DR RAM said:
zn said:
Yamahopper said:

Throw out the baby! That would be murder. The new regime is not murdering the team...they are re-birthing the team....I hope. I wish...I .....

They are trying to resurrect the Rams. Bring them back to relevance. This is a proud and storied franchise....bring us back. Please....bring us warriors that will fight...fight to the end....the end that is known as the Superbowl. Too many times in the past we just missed out...and too many times we just didn't present ourselves as worthy.

This is a true reset. A chance to start over. A chance to establish a precedent of dominance! Anything less would be disappointing....

+100 Doc.

When the Rams cut Holt, Pace and the rest a couple years ago I kind of expected a total purge except for Jackson and the young guys they were drafting....a franchise reset. That never really happened. It was a mismatch of new and old. Then in 11 the team got real old and young players were cut.
No clear focus on the future.

I hate to use them as a example but the Seahags were as close to being as bad the Rams in 09. But of that team that went into their 10 training camp only 8 players remain. They suck at QB but still made the playoffs in 10 and won 7 games in 11.
The Rams have many more core players now than the Seahags did in 10 so they should be able to turn this around fast.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

Stay calm my Rams' brothers and sisters. Let the sunset today and then see how you feel about it. :ww:

Anonymous

DR RAM said:
zn said:
Yamahopper said:

Of course they're trying to build the Rams back to being a contender. I never doubted their motives.

I just don't like these moves.

And I don't believe in the chance to start over, strip down approach. I believe more in other, different approaches that accomplish the same goal (ie. fielding a contender.)

And am just expressing that.