Broncos aren't panicking, but something isn't quite right in Denver

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
This was the highlight of my day. Any time your football team takes one of the top 5 teams in football and makes them question who they are... that's a good day. It would be even nicer if the story here was actually about the Rams, but beggars cannot be choosers.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/11/18/denver-broncos-struggles-peyton-manning

Print
More
NFL

Broncos aren't panicking, but something isn't quite right in Denver
denver-broncos-struggles-peyton-manning.jpg
Photo: Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images

BY JOAN NIESEN
Email
Posted:Tue Nov. 18, 2014
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- It is the Monday after the Denver Broncos’ 22-7 loss to the moribund St. Louis Rams, and the team’s locker room is empty, save for one player. It is Douglas McNeil, a wide receiver signed to the practice squad in October, and he is on his phone, on Facetime. He’s showing off the locker room, looking left to Aqib Talib’s and Demaryius Thomas’ lockers, right to DeMarcus Ware’s, showing a friend or relative the stars.

Those lockers, though, are unoccupied. They will remain that way for the rest of the team’s availability period, apart from one quick, silent appearance. Players don’t like to show their faces on Mondays after wins, so after losses? Not a chance. There is only McNeil, on his phone, a little bit star-struck by the men who want nothing to do with parsing the previous day’s game, the men who matter.

Catch up on everything you missed from the NFL's Week 11 action

Coach John Fox tells the media no one is panicking. Tight end Jacob Tamme, quickly circled at his locker, dutifully echoes the coach’s sentiment, as does cornerback Chris Harris. But that’s it. That’s all there is to learn, really, about how these Broncos feel a day after the most unexpected loss of the Peyton Manning era, how they plan to adjust, what they might have learned.

This isn’t an accountability problem, though. Manning’s mere presence requires players to take agency, and not an hour after the game, the quarterback had already called himself out as culpable in the loss. “I thought we didn’t execute very well,” Manning said after the game, “and just think I didn’t play very well, so usually you can kind of wrap it up into that.”

So as much as you’d have liked to see the biggest names on the Broncos grace the locker room on Monday, their collective absence and reticence isn’t a product of not caring, not accepting blame. They will say that it’s “on to Miami” not because they can so easily move on from a loss, but because that’s simply what’s done, the next line in the weekly script of NFL life, where to dwell is to be left behind, to deviate from the season-long gameplan is to drown.

Instead, the borderline awkward atmosphere around the team’s facility is a product of novelty, of not really having any precedent as to how to behave after your powerhouse offense is held to just seven points and barely touched toe to turf in the red zone. And who can blame them? These Broncos have never had a game like Sunday’s, not this season, not last year, not the one before. A September loss to the Seahawks in Seattle? Nothing to be ashamed of there, especially after pushing the game to overtime. A November drubbing at the hands of the Patriots in Foxboro? That’s not exactly a shock.

Even a year ago, the Broncos could explain each of their losses: The Colts game was a consequence of Manning’s homecoming nerves and Indianapolis’ dominant offense. The Patriots, well, you’ve heard that story before, and the Chargers loss, the most mystifying of the bunch, was a Thursday night game against a division rival playing the best football of its season. The Super Bowl was perhaps the simplest to address: the Seahawks were much better, and instead of having to rebound, Broncos players got to go on vacation and watch their front office empty the wallet to build a better contender.

So really, the last time Denver felt this kind of uncertainty, this question of whether something was wrong, whether something should change, was early in the 2012 season, when it remained to be seen whether Manning could still do Manning things. It’s been two years, then, since the Broncos last wondered if they were a true threat to win a championship -- and if they aren’t wondering now, they should be.

On Sunday against the Rams, Denver’s offense -- the very offense that turned NFL record books to ashes a year ago -- saw Manning make it into the red zone exactly zero times. The Broncos’ one score was a 42-yard touchdown pass to receiver Emmanuel Sanders, and apart from that, the closest Denver came to the end zone was St. Louis’ 28-yard line -- and when they got that far, St. Louis defensive tackle Aaron Donald summarily sacked Manning for a 12-yard loss.

“I think we had opportunities in the game because our defense did hold them to five field goals when they were in scoring position,” Fox said Monday. “The flip side is offensively not being in the red area. We did not have a red area attempt.

“I think, not just the O-line, but offensively, we didn’t execute consistently enough,” Fox said. “And it’s not all on the O-line. I want to make that point.”

Even so, Denver’s offensive line has taken the brunt of the criticism in recent weeks. In Week 7, relative unknown Paul Cornick replaced Chris Clark at right tackle, but after Week 9, that substitution was deemed a bust. Coaches weren’t ready to give Clark another try, though, and in lieu of that, they moved Manny Ramirez from center to right guard, Louis Vasquez from right guard to right tackle and inserted veteran Will Montgomery at center. That combination hasn’t been the solution either, to the point that the Broncos worked out Richie Incognito in Week 11. Denver hasn’t signed him (yet), and as it enters its Week 12 game against Miami, the reshuffled line seems to remain intact, perpetuating the team’s rushing woes and Manning’s seemingly hurried passes. (Manning has always been known to release the ball quickly, but after averaging 2.32 seconds from snap to release for the first nine weeks of the season, the Broncos’ quarterback averaged 2.17 seconds the past two games, perhaps feeling the pressure from his makeshift line.)

Adding to the team’s concerns is the rash of injuries it suffered in St. Louis. Sanders is going through the league’s concussion protocol, tight end Julius Thomas is day-to-day with a sprained ankle and running back Montee Ball will likely miss time with another groin ailment. Whether any of those players will be ready for the Dolphins game will go a long way in righting the Broncos, but no matter what, they’ll have to figure out some kind of solution along the offensive line and in the running game in order to quell the sense that something is not quite right in Denver.

For now, though, that feeling will linger. It’ll take a win against Miami and another against Kansas City to quiet the notion that the Broncos are just one among the league’s good teams, rather than a cut above. It’s not time to panic, not yet, but it’s time for the Broncos to act like something might be off, to act like they know how to right it.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I think the Broncos are suffering from their own success. Their passing game has been so dominant that they have slipped into predictability and being one-dimensional. This "slump" may benefit them since it's happening relatively early.

Granted, I think injuries have forced them into going away from their running game more than Peyton getting greedy but I'm reminded of the 2008 Cardinals. They gradually became so pass-happy that they became one-dimensional. The success of the passing game allowed them to keep leaning on it more and more during the season but there was a tipping point and it became a liability for them. Once they re-introduced Edgerrin James and the running game back into the equation, they went on their post season run.

I think the Broncos will do the same once they get Hillman back. But not having a huge mismatch against defenses with their receiving corps for a few weeks may actually make them more balanced and benefit them in the long run.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I never thought of us as being "moribund" myself... it's not like we're getting blown out in most of those games.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Well if it it takes a W in KC to calm the nerves, they better put all they have in beating MIA. KC has an excellent pass rush and a better offense than us. They won't win that game. In fact, MIA will give them a run.

Sadly, the AFC looks like its shaping up for NE to take the cake.

On a side note, NFC is still way better than the AFC.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I think the Broncos are suffering from their own success. Their passing game has been so dominant that they have slipped into predictability and being one-dimensional. This "slump" may benefit them since it's happening relatively early.

Granted, I think injuries have forced them into going away from their running game more than Peyton getting greedy but I'm reminded of the 2008 Cardinals. They gradually became so pass-happy that they became one-dimensional. The success of the passing game allowed them to keep leaning on it more and more during the season but there was a tipping point and it became a liability for them. Once they re-introduced Edgerrin James and the running game back into the equation, they went on their post season run.

I think the Broncos will do the same once they get Hillman back. But not having a huge mismatch against defenses with their receiving corps for a few weeks may actually make them more balanced and benefit them in the long run.

Peyton is becoming an issue. His obsession with being perfect is sucking the joy out of playing football. At one point Sunday one of the announcers said the WRs so don't want to let him down by making a mistake so there's added pressure.

I said in another thread that between getting mad at the scoreboard operator, yelling at the game, and saying he usually doesn't stink (after the NE), it's just not the same as last year.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but compare Peyton to Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, and almost any young QB in the league. Those guys have fun with his teammates. Players on those teams make mistakes and move on, not worry about making them. Same with guys like Kurt Warner and Brett Favre back I'm the day.

Or hell just compare them to the Rams. While the Broncos play uber high pressure and uptight, the Rams have fun and play loose.

And I hate that Peyton is becoming so damn perfection obsessed, just let loose and have some fun.

fearsomefour

Legend
They can't run the ball and Peyton folds like a $5 suitcase in the face of any sort of passrush.... Mystery solved.

Alan

Legend
Angry Ram not liking the obsession he sees:
Peyton is becoming an issue. His obsession with being perfect is sucking the joy out of playing football. At one point Sunday one of the announcers said the WRs so don't want to let him down by making a mistake so there's added pressure.
Have you seen his latest commercial where he cries about not being in the NFL as a child? I think he wrote the script for that himself.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
I never thought of us as being "moribund" myself... it's not like we're getting blown out in most of those games.
They just got stomped by a team with one foot in the grave,is what they are making sound like.I didn't really understand the moribund statement myself inconsistent yes dead in the water not even close.

Angry Ram

Have you seen his latest commercial where he cries about not being in the NFL as a child? I think he wrote the script for that himself.

Oh lord. Yeah. Papa Johns. Overrated as hell.

I liked Aaron Rodgers' Pizza Hut commercials better. And Pizza Hut > Papa Johns.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It's called being emasculated.

And we did that to you.

Deal with it.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Oh lord. Yeah. Papa Johns. Overrated as hell.

I liked Aaron Rodgers' Pizza Hut commercials better. And Pizza Hut > Papa Johns.

Papa Johns pretty much disgusted me after introducing that Frito's pizza

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think Elway may have suffered a concussion just watching the Rams take his team apart. :LOL:

jjab360

Legend
Why can't we ever get credit for beating one of these "powerhouse" teams, it always goes in the exact opposite direction with the media wondering what went wrong for the other team. I swear if we went 16-0 ESPN would just be like "WTF is wrong with all the other teams in the NFL???".

Oh and "moribund St. Louis Rams"? Really? Bite me Joan Niesen.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I said in another thread that between getting mad at the scoreboard operator, yelling at the game, and saying he usually doesn't stink (after the NE), it's just not the same as last year.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but compare Peyton to Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, and almost any young QB in the league. Those guys have fun with his teammates. Players on those teams make mistakes and move on, not worry about making them. Same with guys like Kurt Warner and Brett Favre back I'm the day.

Or hell just compare them to the Rams. While the Broncos play uber high pressure and uptight, the Rams have fun and play loose.

And I hate that Peyton is becoming so damn perfection obsessed, just let loose and have some fun.

Seems like a stretch, AR. Tom Brady is known for unleashing on teammates on the sidelines when they make mistakes. He's even let coaches have it. Frankly, I'd love it if we had a QB that demanded perfection and scared our young players into executing. The Broncos issues on Sundays weren't their WRs not executing...for the most part...it was the OL not being able to generate movement in the running game or block the Rams pass rush.

People are going to give Manning shit for "folding under pressure" but the truth is that Manning was getting the ball out so quickly and making such good decisions that he kept the Rams from sacking him 8 or so times. Can guarantee you that the Rams pass rush would have sacked most NFL QBs at least 6 times last Sunday. They were killing the Broncos OL. Every QB gets rattled when he can't trust his OL and is getting hit. Manning missed a couple of throws that he hurried but I think that's less an indictment of Manning and more telling you how good our pass rush was. They were so good that they knocked Manning off his game.

I'm not trying to excuse Manning's bad game...but I am saying that the same thing that holds true of every other QB in the NFL, the same thing we note for Rams QBs...also holds true for Manning. When you are constantly in a guy's face with pressure, he's not going to be at the top of his game.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If the Broncos WRs would have caught some of the passes they dropped it would have been a very close game.

The Rams D played great and aided in some of the Broncos mistakes but there were enough drops to have changed the game.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I think its just that people underestimate the Rams because of our record - and history etc. The fact is - that when the D plays like that they are as good as anyone in the league. They just haven't done it regularly enough - so its not really a surprise to hold Denver to 7 points.

Angry Ram

Seems like a stretch, AR. Tom Brady is known for unleashing on teammates on the sidelines when they make mistakes. He's even let coaches have it. Frankly, I'd love it if we had a QB that demanded perfection and scared our young players into executing. The Broncos issues on Sundays weren't their WRs not executing...for the most part...it was the OL not being able to generate movement in the running game or block the Rams pass rush.

People are going to give Manning crap for "folding under pressure" but the truth is that Manning was getting the ball out so quickly and making such good decisions that he kept the Rams from sacking him 8 or so times. Can guarantee you that the Rams pass rush would have sacked most NFL QBs at least 6 times last Sunday. They were killing the Broncos OL. Every QB gets rattled when he can't trust his OL and is getting hit. Manning missed a couple of throws that he hurried but I think that's less an indictment of Manning and more telling you how good our pass rush was. They were so good that they knocked Manning off his game.

I'm not trying to excuse Manning's bad game...but I am saying that the same thing that holds true of every other QB in the NFL, the same thing we note for Rams QBs...also holds true for Manning. When you are constantly in a guy's face with pressure, he's not going to be at the top of his game.

Yeah but Tom doesn't make his receivers be scared before the mistakes. IDK if his receivers think "shit I can't drop this, can't drop this, can't drop this" as they run a route.

Can't believe I'm prasing Tom Brady, but it's true. When was the last time you saw Peyton Manning not be pure business mode (aside from his record setting TD) on the field?

And again, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees? Top QBs, yeah? How can they demand perfection, yet still treat the game not as a business on Sundays?

This is starting to take place this year. I get he wants a SB by any means necessary before his time is up. However, a lot of things have to go right. Peyton really needs to get that everything can't be perfect, and some things can't be controlled.

And the man is smart, and chances are he probably knows that. It's just not showing on the field.