Britt welcomes fresh start with Rams/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Britt welcomes fresh start with Rams
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_42903fd6-75bf-5d0f-9c78-bbf804236df3.html

If anyone ever needed a fresh start, it’s new Rams wide receiver Kenny Britt. His five star-crossed seasons in Tennessee were a mix of off-field issues, injuries and flashes of big-play potential.

But as the Rams begin the second week of the spring practices known as OTAs, Britt is all smiles.

“My mind’s free,” Britt said. “I’m relaxed right now. I’m taking this year as a rookie year — just like I’m coming into the league. That’s my mindset right now. Starting from scratch.”

With that in mind, Week 1 of OTAs represented a very good start for the former Rutgers University star. Last Thursday, Britt caught two long touchdown passes, including one where he got behind cornerback Trumaine Johnson for the score.

He let Johnson know about it with some loud but largely unintelligible trash-talking afterward. That led to a scuffle later in practice. In Friday’s practice there was some chirping between the two but nothing more.

“He’s a very emotional kid,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “He’s an emotional receiver. He looks the part, and he can make the plays. I was really happy to see him come on (board).

“Kept himself in really good shape during the free agency period. Came in and has done a great job. He’s had no setbacks, he feels great physically. So he can potentially return to where he was a very productive receiver.”

Britt’s chiseled frame (6-3, 223 pounds) has already earned him the nickname “Incredible Hulk” from some of his new teammates. His competitive, high-energy style can’t hurt a young wide receiver corps that is still finding its way.

“He’s a big, explosive wide receiver who can make plays down the field,” quarterback Sam Bradford said. “He’s looked really good in his time here.

“I think just watching him and the energy that he comes onto the field with every day has been great. Not only for the offense, but for that wide receiving corps in general. I just feel like he brings kind of a presence and an energy that maybe hasn’t been there in the past.”

The biggest question involving Britt remains: Can he stay out of his own way off the field?

A sampling of recent off-field woes include:

• An April 2011 arrest in New Jersey (he’s from Bayonne) following a car chase with police. He was cited for careless driving and fined.

• In June 2012, he was cited for resisting arrest in Hoboken, N.J.

• He was suspended for the first game of the 2012 season after an arrest that summer for suspicion of DUI.

• In January 2013, he was questioned but not implicated when a close friend was involved in a stabbing.

Depending on which account you read from his time in Tennessee, Britt has been involved in eight or nine incidents with police since being drafted in the first round, No. 30 overall, by Fisher’s Titans in 2009.

Little more than five weeks after signing with the Rams came an embarrassing incident. Namely, video on Britt’s Instagram account of a couple having sexual intercourse.

Luckily for Britt, the drafting of Michael Sam on the same day the Britt video surfaced grabbed the media attention.

“That’s something that we’re not gonna talk about,” Britt told reporters when asked about the Instagram video last week. “That’s something that touches home. Me and my wife had to deal with that. We’re gonna leave it at that.”

He then added: “If we’re not talking about getting better and making this team better, I don’t want to talk about it.”

It’s uncertain if Fisher disciplined Britt for the video. But it’s clear that Fisher was comfortable about bringing Britt to St. Louis despite the off-field issues in Tennessee.

“It wasn’t difficult at all,” Fisher said. “I stayed in touch with Kenny my year off while he was rehabbing (from knee surgery). We spent some time together and I tried to help him get some things behind him. And he did. He’s got everything straightened out now.”

For his part, Britt appreciates the fact that Fisher has tried to help him overcome past missteps and has never turned his back.

“He’s one of the coaches I’ll follow anywhere,” Britt said. “I’ll run through a brick wall for the guy. He’s a player’s coach. He gets it. There’s things that happen around your life, and some people will cut you off.”

But some people, Britt said in reference to Fisher, will “just open their arms a little bit wider and let you know they’re by your side.”

So Britt is all smiles — and it’s a wide, beaming one — in his early days in St. Louis. The plan is to regain some semblance of the form he displayed early in his Tennessee career, when he averaged 42 catches, 736 yards, six TDs, and 17.6 yards per catch over the 2009 and 2010 seasons.

But then came the injuries. He lost four games in 2010 with a hamstring injury and then missed 13 games in 2011 with a knee injury.

“I’m just trying to get back to where I was before,” he said. “I’m feeling healthy. I’m feeling strong.”

Britt knew his time was over in Tennessee long before the start of the 2013 regular season.

“I’d say the second week of camp when they said they’re gonna bench me for not blocking,” Britt said. “I’m talking about training camp. But that’s something in the past that we don’t have to worry about, because — you know what? — I’m a St. Louis Ram.”

Britt, still only 25, brings the promise of a big, physical, competitive receiver to St. Louis.

“They’re moving me all over, so I’m excited, he said.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Britt knew his time was over in Tennessee long before the start of the 2013 regular season.

“I’d say the second week of camp when they said they’re gonna bench me for not blocking,” Britt said. “I’m talking about training camp. But that’s something in the past that we don’t have to worry about, because — you know what? — I’m a St. Louis Ram.”

That confirms my suspicions. He was draggin' ass over there last year because his heart wasn't in it.
A new environment, a new chance. If he wants it badly enough, then he could be the answer on the outside.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

That confirms my suspicions. He was draggin' ass over there last year because his heart wasn't in it.
A new environment, a new chance. If he wants it badly enough, then he could be the answer on the outside.

And FWIW ,Williams was there,saw what was going on, probably knew it was a coaches doghouse thing and that Britt wasn't "finished"

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

He couldn't be in a better situation, really. My optimism is cautiously growing for Britt. His impact is potentially huge.

If he makes it then the then the sour Watkins guys might find some comfort.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I would imagine that Britt didn't like to see Fisher go either(in 2013).

FRO

Legend

If he is healthy he will pay huge dividends to us. The guy has great talent and upside, and Fisher knows how to motivate him. His numbers under Fisher would be awesome to have in 2014. Also his contract status and knowing it could be his last chance in the league should be huge motivation. So if healthy we got ourselves a player.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'm loving the signing now tbh, he seems to have brought a new air of confidence to our receiving corps, and seems to be "up for it" - (and I'm not talking about his instagram video there), I'm excited to see what his influence can do to our offence, and the guy is still only 25!

...but, on the video front, lets be honest, thats nothing to worry about, it wasn't drugs, drink, guns, wasn't dragging his wife around by the hair or smacking her about, so i don't know what the fuss is about.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I think he's going to have a good year.

But--I think that's because he's playing for a new contract and that he'll be on his best behavior...for now. 2015? It's going to be tough because if he has a good year, he'll be demanding a big contract and once he gets it, I don't think that passion and good behavior will continue.

FRO

Legend
I think he's going to have a good year.

But--I think that's because he's playing for a new contract and that he'll be on his best behavior...for now. 2015? It's going to be tough because if he has a good year, he'll be demanding a big contract and once he gets it, I don't think that passion and good behavior will continue.
I think if he plays well he will get a nice contract. Maybe not even from us, but I don't see him getting a huge deal due to his past.

Good news is the 2015 WR class looks pretty good, not. 2014 good but good none the less.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm loving the signing now tbh, he seems to have brought a new air of confidence to our receiving corps, and seems to be "up for it" - (and I'm not talking about his instagram video there), I'm excited to see what his influence can do to our offence, and the guy is still only 25!

...but, on the video front, lets be honest, thats nothing to worry about, it wasn't drugs, drink, guns, wasn't dragging his wife around by the hair or smacking her about, so i don't know what the fuss is about.
He is no Lance Rentzel that's for sure!
A little about Lance:
He was leading the team in receiving yards in 1970 when he was arrested for exposing himself to a ten-year-old girl. At the time the accusation was made, the press revealed a nearly forgotten incident that happened when as a Minnesota Viking in September 1966, he was charged with exposing himself to two young girls in St. Paul, and pleaded guilty to the reduced charge of disorderly conduct. He was not sentenced, but merely ordered to seek psychiatric care. Because of the nationwide reaction and publicity from the 1970 scandal, Rentzel asked the Cowboys to place him on the inactive list so he could devote his time to settling his personal affairs. He missed the last three games of the 1970 regular season, including the Cowboys' playoff drive to its narrow Super Bowl V loss to the Baltimore Colts.
During the offseason, Rentzel was traded to the Los Angeles Rams for the tight end Billy Truax and the wide receiver Wendell Tucker. Head coach Tom Landry said after the trade, "We know we are giving up on one of the top flankers in the league, but I thought he would be better off in another city where he had the same opportunity regularly. We found this in Los Angeles, and it was one of the teams Lance wanted to be traded to if he were traded."

moklerman

Warner-phile
I think if he plays well he will get a nice contract. Maybe not even from us, but I don't see him getting a huge deal due to his past.

Good news is the 2015 WR class looks pretty good, not. 2014 good but good none the less.
That's my main concern. If he has a big year, then obviously the Rams would want to keep him. But to keep him, they'll have to fork out the dough. Once they fork out the dough, he'll (IMO) revert to his troublesome nature.

Best case scenario is he teaches Quick how to be a stud and then move on.

FRO

Legend
That's my main concern. If he has a big year, then obviously the Rams would want to keep him. But to keep him, they'll have to fork out the dough. Once they fork out the dough, he'll (IMO) revert to his troublesome nature.

Best case scenario is he teaches Quick how to be a stud and then move on.
If he has a big year I think we are in the playoffs. Then you structure a contract that pays him great if he keeps his nose clean. He could be what Dez Bryant is on the field. He could also be terrible like he was the last 2 years. I just like the attitude he is bringing to the offense.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
He is no Lance Rentzel that's for sure!
A little about Lance:
He was leading the team in receiving yards in 1970 when he was arrested for exposing himself to a ten-year-old girl. At the time the accusation was made, the press revealed a nearly forgotten incident that happened when as a Minnesota Viking in September 1966, he was charged with exposing himself to two young girls in St. Paul, and pleaded guilty to the reduced charge of disorderly conduct. He was not sentenced, but merely ordered to seek psychiatric care. Because of the nationwide reaction and publicity from the 1970 scandal, Rentzel asked the Cowboys to place him on the inactive list so he could devote his time to settling his personal affairs. He missed the last three games of the 1970 regular season, including the Cowboys' playoff drive to its narrow Super Bowl V loss to the Baltimore Colts.
During the offseason, Rentzel was traded to the Los Angeles Rams for the tight end Billy Truax and the wide receiver Wendell Tucker. Head coach Tom Landry said after the trade, "We know we are giving up on one of the top flankers in the league, but I thought he would be better off in another city where he had the same opportunity regularly. We found this in Los Angeles, and it was one of the teams Lance wanted to be traded to if he were traded."

Preferred to expose himself to 10 year old girls instead of his wife:

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I really hope he goes off this year, and teaches Quick how to play to his size in the process.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Would it help if "sour" was replaced with "disheartened?" Quit being so sensitive.
It would probably help more just to not put adjectives on other posters. They're not the issue, are they?

You can (wrongly) believe I'm just sensitive if you want, but there are ways to phrase things that don't come off as insulting to others (even if you didn't mean to be).

As well, it's probably time for the argument over Watkins to die. He's not a Ram, he's likely never going to be. It's not just those who wanted him who need to let it go.

F. Mulder

Starter
Boy I used to buy in full-force to the OTA and camp proclamations; and sometimes they were right :cautious: but I've learned to trust my ever increasing gut and my dwindling eye-ball test more than ever as I've aged as a Ram fan.

Believe me, I'm pulling for him but the league and streets are filled with off-season Rudy's.

FRO

Legend
Boy I used to buy in full-force to the OTA and camp proclamations; and sometimes they were right :cautious: but I've learned to trust my ever increasing gut and my dwindling eye-ball test more than ever as I've aged as a Ram fan.

Believe me, I'm pulling for him but the league and streets are filled with off-season Rudy's.
I agree with this, but I'm still hopeful.

MFaulk107

The Realness
Hopefully he turns into a good run blocker. He's a big dude, already had advantage.