Britt wants to return to Rams--PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Three guys I would resign asap are Britt, Kendricks and Barksdale. The role Britt and Kendricks play can be easy to undervalue. Kendricks played a roll in limiting Denvers pass rush on Sunday. Doesn't show up in the stat line but he was good again on Sunday.

I'm one of the few NOT on the Barksdale bandwagon, although I'd love to see Britt, Kendricks, Harkey, Hekker & McCleod, re-signed ... & I never thought i'd say this, if he can sustain his production from this past Sunday thru the remainder of the season, Joseph, as the reserve he was meant to be. He had his best day yet as a Ram against the Broncos. Obviously, if he is a one & done, just say good buy. jmo.

WestCoastRam

Legend
One of the number of things you can do to help a young QB (and we will probably be drafting one!) is have big targets on the outside for him. I think it would be a really good idea to resign him if the price is right with that in mind. Honestly, if Quick hadn't gotten hurt and had continued to play as he had, I might think differently (and seek talent in the draft) but I think Britt is good insurance there.

A55VA6

Legend
I think re-signing Britt would be a good and important move. We won't have to pay him huge numbers, and he seems to have a great relationship with the players and coaches, especially Brian Quick. I say get it done!

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
This is the first season Quick has been injured as far as I can remember, and I absolutely LOVE the idea of starting Quick opposite from Britt. Their success earlier in the season actually minimized everyone else's role, and I think actually made Austin Davis look better than he actually is.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
This is the first season Quick has been injured as far as I can remember, and I absolutely LOVE the idea of starting Quick opposite from Britt. Their success earlier in the season actually minimized everyone else's role, and I think actually made Austin Davis look better than he actually is.
Imagine Bradford throwing to them... :rolleyes:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I love Britt on this team and he loves this team. Watch Bailey on Wired and you see Britt bro mancing saying "I love you man, I love you man." He appreciates being a Ram and I'll be sick if he isn't next year. Get it done, he's proven it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You're the man Kenny Brittish. I love hearing about the team chemistry. This guy really grew up. Can we try to get him on ROD?

Awesome idea, he'd be a fun interview.

Britt seems to have seized the opportunity to make the most of this second chance. Excellent news for the Rams I couldn't be happier for them and him both.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm one of the few NOT on the Barksdale bandwagon, although I'd love to see Britt, Kendricks, Harkey, Hekker & McCleod, re-signed ... & I never thought i'd say this, if he can sustain his production from this past Sunday thru the remainder of the season, Joseph, as the reserve he was meant to be. He had his best day yet as a Ram against the Broncos. Obviously, if he is a one & done, just say good buy. jmo.

As far as UFA Kenny Britt being a bona fide need resign is a no brainer.....Rams RFA's ....FS Rod McLeod, Kicker J. Hekker, OC/OG Tim Barnes & QB A. Davis will be high probable resigns. The ERFA's (FB/TE C.Harkey & OG B. Washington) are very highly probable resigns too. The Five Ram UFA concerns (WR Britt, TE Kendricks, QB Hill, ORT Barksdale & OT/OG/OC Mike Person are more questionable.

I will say this about future UFA ORG Davin Joseph last Sunday's Game...he may have not been any more effective against the Broncos as he was with the other previous teams opponents but I sure did notice his intensity level was very high...Davin play his meanest & nastiness game period as I have seen from a Ram OL'er since Harvey Dahl departed! I think that Davin went on way pass the whistle many times & if he had a DL'er on the ground ...wow poor DL'ers Knighton & S. Williams ...I know Davin whoop ass'd them up.:heh: For fun re-watch Davin's game.

Yep I was one of the very few ROD members that fell off the loud Barksdale band wagon parade while I was beating his drum too. Fact is JB is the best young run blocking ORT in well over a decade since the Rams selected Ryan Tucker in the 4th rd. in 1997 & when he started @ ORT during the 2000 & 2001 seasons..thats well over a decade. JB is more effective than Turley was. Need to remember JB beat out Rodger Saffold last season too. JB big issues come from those smaller 34 defenses speed rushers period.

Rams are in no position to get cheap here. Rams really do not have a legit swing OT :oops:. The emergency ORT is Mike Person who will also be a UFA too. So the Rams have no real options but to resign JB & pay the price he demands.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Quick won't be healthy until the start of training camp. I suppose we have the rest of the season to see how the rest of the WR corps performs in his absence, but I wouldn't want to go into next season expecting Quick to be the number 1 target opposite Britt.

...hopefully I'm just overly cautious from being bit by the injury bug so man damn times.
Yeah - that's my thought as well. From the sound of it, Quick really scrambled his shoulder. I am very concerned about his ability to extend and do some of the things he will be expected to do as a big bodied receiver. And it will only be time that will tell us how well the surgeries are taking. Feel real bad for the kid. Sure hope he can recover well because he was on his way to becoming a beast.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Yep I was one of the very few ROD members that fell off the loud Barksdale band wagon parade while I was beating his drum too. Fact is JB is the best young run blocking ORT in well over a decade since the Rams selected Ryan Tucker in the 4th rd. in 1997 & when he started @ ORT during the 2000 & 2001 seasons..thats well over a decade. JB is more effective than Turley was. Need to remember JB beat out Rodger Saffold last season too. JB big issues come from those smaller 34 defenses speed rushers period.

Rams are in no position to get cheap here. Rams really do not have a legit swing OT :oops:. The emergency ORT is Mike Person who will also be a UFA too. So the Rams have no real options but to resign JB & pay the price he demands.

I disagree about not having options on Barksdale. I don't see him as the long term multi-year $6.0mil. plus asset holding down our right side. He's been manhandled in several games this season, primarily to 3-4 teams, but Von Miller ate his lunch as a 4-3 OLB on Sunday. Agree that Miller is one of the best, but i'm tired of making excuses for a guy who is going to want starter money for the next several years.
Forget Turley, he was on the downside of his career after coming to the Rams underweight and with that juiced-up attitude. Forget Saffold at RT, he never performed well in that position, and was really a LT until he found his niche at OG. The Rams really haven't had a gifted RT who lasted more than a minute since Jackie Slater, ... and it's time we did something about that. If we end up using our first round pick on an O-Lineman, i'd prefer it be an OT. And this isn't being cheap, it would actually be far less expensive than signing Barksdale, also allows more money for free agency.
For the time being, i'm OK with Person as our swingman. jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I disagree about not having options on Barksdale. I don't see him as the long term multi-year $6.0mil. plus asset holding down our right side. He's been manhandled in several games this season, primarily to 3-4 teams, but Von Miller ate his lunch as a 4-3 OLB on Sunday. Agree that Miller is one of the best, but i'm tired of making excuses for a guy who is going to want starter money for the next several years.
Forget Turley, he was on the downside of his career after coming to the Rams underweight and with that juiced-up attitude. Forget Saffold at RT, he never performed well in that position, and was really a LT until he found his niche at OG. The Rams really haven't had a gifted RT who lasted more than a minute since Jackie Slater, ... and it's time we did something about that. If we end up using our first round pick on an O-Lineman, i'd prefer it be an OT. And this isn't being cheap, it would actually be far less expensive than signing Barksdale, also allows more money for free agency.
For the time being, i'm OK with Person as our swingman. jmo.

The best option I see without signing Barksdale is drafting a talented OT to start. Even OT Robinson who was the 2nd overall pick did not start until week 6 after Davin Joseph was benched. Robinson did not start @ OT until an injury mandated his start. So if you let UFA JB sign elsewhere then your options in the first part of the draft are diminished greatly. Forcing Snead into need mode instead of BPA made with need considerations. This need mode can have Jason Smith & Alex Barron type results. That's why Snead/Fisher were a frogs hair away from selecting OL'er Zack Martin to be our future ORT with the #13 first round pick.

I agree UFA Mike Person may end up being a very good dressed game day OL swing reserve for most all of the OL posts if we can resign him. I thinking his best starting position in the NFL may end up @ center. If RFA OC Barnes, UFA OC Person returns along with OC Rhaney having those three OC's present could free up Barrett Jones for consideration as an option @ ORT with out Barksdale. Jones who started for 26 games on the right side for Bama then moved to OLT as a Jr. Other than the above Riverumbbq I know of no other options @ ORT. What options were you thinking of?

fearsomefour

Legend
I get the reservation with Barksdale. To me it comes down to options. If there is a better option that does not break the bank I am all for it.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I'm all about resigning Britt, Kendricks, and Barksdale. Keep our D intact. We're set there.

Cut J. Long. He's done.

Draft a guard in the first, Mannion in the 2nd, and DGB in the 3rd.

Bradford should be on a prove it deal. With those weapons, and a real OLine, he better thrive.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The best option I see without signing Barksdale is drafting a talented OT to start. Even OT Robinson who was the 2nd overall pick did not start until week 6 after Davin Joseph was benched. Robinson did not start @ OT until an injury mandated his start. So if you let UFA JB sign elsewhere then your options in the first part of the draft are diminished greatly. Forcing Snead into need mode instead of BPA made with need considerations. This need mode can have Jason Smith & Alex Barron type results. That's why Snead/Fisher were a frogs hair away from selecting OL'er Zack Martin to be our future ORT with the #13 first round pick.

I agree UFA Mike Person may end up being a very good dressed game day OL swing reserve for most all of the OL posts if we can resign him. I thinking his best starting position in the NFL may end up @ center. If RFA OC Barnes, UFA OC Person returns along with OC Rhaney having those three OC's present could free up Barrett Jones for consideration as an option @ ORT with out Barksdale. Jones who started for 26 games on the right side for Bama then moved to OLT as a Jr. Other than the above Riverumbbq I know of no other options @ ORT. What options were you thinking of?

A couple things here :

I believe its much tougher to adjust from the college level to an NFL LT position than RT. The foot work facing off against the best DE's in the league does have a higher learning curve imo.
Outside of Robinson, the 2015 OT draft class looks deeper than last season, and we all knew that GRob had pass pro issues which needed to be dealt with before starting. His initial learning curve was supposed to be at LG, obviously that got moved over, and the results so far are looking quite good. Hasn't Ju'Wuan James started all 10 games for Miami at RT this season, and his issues were more with rush protection, ... and many feel he was way over drafted in the middle of the 1'st round.
The Rams are responsible for taking Smith in a poor draft for OT's, we needed one and he was going to be our savior, and busted right out of the gate. Barron had a decent career, although his desire was questionable and he was over drafted. These matters should have been picked up thru better scouting and less panic buying imo.
I'm not worried about starting a rookie RT if our guys do their scouting jobs properly ... and getting him coached up during the pre-season, for a smart player with the positional & physical skills, the learning curve shouldn't be all that high. If the Rams are as willing to seek an excellent OLineman as they appeared to have been last season with Z.Martin, maybe go after a La'El Collins, then i'll rest assured that we have made an improvement, ... and reduced our CAP costs for the position. jmo.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
“I’ve been in the NFL for going on six years, and this is the first time I’ve been in a locker room like this, where everybody’s all committed — all the guys,” he said. “I’m telling you, I’ve never been in a locker room like this — ever — in my career.

^ Fisher deserves credit for this. A leader sets this tone.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Barks will be the Rams' highest re-signing priority. No way he gets away, as even after signing him they need to spend a pick on an interior OL hopefully one that can play C/OG for flexibility purposes.

As to Britt, I'll second what is unanimous... He's a great guy to have on the team, clearly, appreciates the staff, and is good with the other WRs. Should still be a good deal financially, so yeah it's a no brainer to keep him around. My only caution would be not to overpay him like they did with Cookie, he does still have a ways to go in order to live up to his exceptional ability/gifts. Incentive laden contract is the way to go, with an avg base pay which he does deserve, IMO.

Kendricks I presume the Rams will retain as well. But he is a very good all around TE that may go for more on the open market than many think.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm all about resigning Britt, Kendricks, and Barksdale. Keep our D intact. We're set there.

Cut J. Long. He's done.

Draft a guard in the first, Mannion in the 2nd, and DGB in the 3rd.

Bradford should be on a prove it deal. With those weapons, and a real OLine, he better thrive.

Agreed on all.

I also like Mannion fwiw. The guy we saw last year (37 touchdowns and low INTs) is closer to reality than the guy who is taking knocks for his play this season. I actually think this year will help season him nicely for the NFL, where a lot of young QBs deal with their first real adversity. He's not an elite guy, but I think he would fit very nicely on this team with his height and big arm to go with the play action off of a power running game. He also runs a pro style offense, incidentally, under Riley.

All I care about in the draft is they find a QB, and address interior OL (as I have mentioned I do expect Fish will covet Mariota). That plus re-signing Barks is the key, so they can enter 2015 with true hope of having a strong passing game. If we're lucky Sam will be in the mix too, with an incentive-laden restructured deal.