Britt Looks Good Early/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
With 45 private workouts, Rams are ready for draft's uncertainty
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_3a2e76e4-1a99-5fdc-bb15-5551e8c90202.html

Since arriving in 2012, Rams coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead have used the weeks leading up to the NFL draft to check out a number of players in private workouts.

This year, they took the process to a whole new level.

“Collectively, our scouts, our coaches over the last probably two weeks worked out 45 players in person,” Fisher said. “I think it’s a by-product of having some extra time. We got a couple extra weeks now, so we’ve got most of the work done and wanted to go out and be able to put our hands on them.”

Snead said the team held workouts at 12 to 15 college sites and other cities.

“In different parts of the country, there are some locations with better football players than others,” he said. “That’s where you load up.”

And what do the Rams hope to accomplish through so many private workouts?

For Snead, it’s another chance to view the player as a person.

“You watch them on film, that’s kind of two-dimensional. You may have gone and seen them practice or play and they’re in shoulder pads,” he said. “But you can go spend a good two to three hours with them, they greet you at the door, show you around the facility. All of those things, workout ... you can smell them, you can feel them. It makes them 3D, 4D, whatever you want to call it. It brings them to life a little more and you get a good feel of the human being that you’re going to invest in. Because at the end of the day, that’s what these guys are.”

Fisher added: “If you go out and you work out three, four, five guys at the same position, you can compare and you can rank them. I think it’s much easier to do when you see them in person late in the process. It’s been very helpful.”

A year ago, the Rams’ private workout in West Virginia resulted in the Rams drafting a pair of promising young receivers, Tavon Austin in the first round and Stedman Bailey in the third.

Two years ago, after looking at nearly a half-dozen wideouts on the final weekend before the draft, the Rams decided to draft Brian Quick of Appalachian State to start the second round.

The NFL draft runs Thursday through Saturday. The Rams currently have 12 picks, including No. 2 and No. 13 in the opening round.

“I’ll say this, you have 12 picks to make the most of the opportunity,’’ Snead said. “That can be using some of your picks to move up to go get a guy, could be trading a pick for a better pick in the future, it could be picking that player there. ... If we pick this player, what’s his role on this team next year or the next two or three years and try to make the best choice.”

Snead continued: “I’d say just stack good decisions. Make them one at a time. Try to stack as many good decisions as possible and there will be a flywheel, there will be a snowball effect and guess what, it’ll turn into good things.’’

With two key early picks, Fisher stressed the importance for being prepared for anything.

“We’ve identified six to eight players that we think potentially could fit us at (No.) 2. And then, of course, we’ve gone on with the additional process at (No.) 13,” he said.

“That’s been the challenge for us upstairs is that we have two separate issues going on and we have to make sure we address — equally — each pick. You don’t get consumed with one and then get caught off guard with the other, so we’ve got a couple different scenarios.”

BRITT LOOKS GOOD EARLY

He has only been with the Rams a short time, but former Tennessee wideout Kenny Britt seems to be adjusting quickly.

“Well, we’re two weeks into the program and he’s done a great job,’’ Fisher said. “He’s healthy, he’s running and he’s having a blast. I think it helps that we’re trying to create as much competition as we can, so certainly Kenny has added to that. I think we brought him in for a reason, to make plays.”

Signed on March 31, Britt, 25, was a first-round pick by the Fisher-coached Titans in 2009 and enjoyed solid seasons in 2009 (42 catches, 701 yards, three touchdowns) and 2010 (42 catches, 775 yards, nine touchdowns), but injuries and inconsistency have slowed him in recent seasons.

Last fall, the 6-foot-3, 223-pound Britt had a career-low 11 catches for 96 yards.

Fisher did not rule out adding another receiver later this week.

“Then again, if the guy’s there, at that position, at the right time, it’s sometimes hard to pass up.”

DRAFT SCHEDULE

Thursday • Round 1 begins at 7 p.m., 10-minute time limit between picks.

Friday • Rounds 2-3 begin at 6 p.m., seven-minute time limit between picks.

Saturday • Rounds 4-7 begin at 11 a.m., five-minute time limit between picks.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I wonder how bad his knees are? I mean, are they Danario Alexander bad or was last year a fluke thing?

jjab360

Legend
“You watch them on film, that’s kind of two-dimensional. You may have gone and seen them practice or play and they’re in shoulder pads,” he said. “But you can go spend a good two to three hours with them, they greet you at the door, show you around the facility. All of those things, workout ... you can smell them, you can feel them. It makes them 3D, 4D, whatever you want to call it. It brings them to life a little more and you get a good feel of the human being that you’re going to invest in. Because at the end of the day, that’s what these guys are.”
:eek:

I guess as long as they don't taste them...:cautious:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
“We’ve identified six to eight players that we think potentially could fit us at (No.) 2. And then, of course, we’ve gone on with the additional process at (No.) 13,” he said.

:wtf: I guess they don't see the whole Big5 that I do. How could there be 6 to 8?

Mack
Clowney
Matthews
Robinson
Watkins

Who else is worthy of taking at 2? Lewan, Evans, and Manziere? I hope not.

SierraRam

Recreational User

:wtf: I guess they don't see the whole Big5 that I do. How could there be 6 to 8?

Mack
Clowney
Matthews
Robinson
Watkins

Who else is worthy of taking at 2? Lewan, Evans, and Manziere? I hope not.

I'm with ya on the Top 5.

As far as the "8" number goes, I think its Fisher's way of saying we'll deal with any team 3-8. Go Rams!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
:eek:

I guess as long as they don't taste them...:cautious:

"I'll say this".....I was a little disturbed by that statement as well, haha. What is with Snead and the "I'll say this" before saying EVERYTHING???

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I wonder how bad his knees are? I mean, are they Danario Alexander bad or was last year a fluke thing?

Yup, you took the words out of my mouth...every time I hear the name Britt, I immediately think of DX. Not so much because of his knees, but his height and ability to go up and fight for the ball in the EZ...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I hope they're looking at him as a kick returner. Cunningham and Pead just didn't do it for me last year.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah i dont know about putting Britt or Reid into return duties...
"How's the glass knee kid? Good good. Well we're gonna put you in a position where 11 guys will be coming at you full speed and aiming to knock you out. Good luck!"

SierraRam

Recreational User
I hope they're looking at him as a kick returner. Cunningham and Pead just didn't do it for me last year.

Justin Gilbert (26 yd ave.) Or Reid. But yeah, they gotta due something different