British boxer in coma after title fight loss

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/british-middleweight-boxer-nick-blackwell-coma-loss-to-chris-eubank-jr/

FfCQCkg.jpg

The 25-year-old fighter suffered bleeding on the brain after the fight was stopped in the 10th round. The stoppage came after a ringside doctor advised the referee that Blackwell was unable to see through his left eye.

View: https://twitter.com/ZProphet_MMA/status/713860994620125186

He received medical attention in the ring before being carried out of the venue on a stretcher while being given oxygen.

British Boxing Board of Control general secretary Robert Smith says Sunday: "He's in intensive care, he's in an induced coma and he is resting and being looked after by the experts.

"It's a very normal procedure. They put you in a coma to get the swelling to go down. There's no time-scale. Now it's just a matter of waiting and seeing."

The Guardian reports Blackwell took heavy punishment during most rounds of the domestic title fight.

Eubank Jr. told reporters afterwards: "I was hitting him with some big shots and the referee saw fit to let the fight go on. Looking back now, maybe he should have stopped it earlier."

Several fighters took to Twitter to wish the up-and-coming boxer a speedy recovery.

fearsomefour

Legend
Best wishes to the young man.

I much prefer boxing to MMA, but, this is one area where MMA is much better off. I recently watched a fight (boxing) with a 41 year old guy boxing. He was knocked down a total of 4 times. Twice at the end of rounds, goes down, gets up at 6, counted to 8, then the fight continues, round quickly over. Then a round or two with no knockdowns then 2 knockdowns in the same round and the ref stops the fight. So, he went 3 1/2 rounds and 3 more knockdowns after his first knock down. In MMA, the other fighter would have jumped on him when he was dazed, landed a couple of shots and the fight would have been over. Because of the rules of boxing he was allowed to take rounds more punishment.
Not sure what the solution is, but, that is a real danger with boxing.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
It's pretty messed up. His dad got in the ring and told his son to stop hitting him in the head - go work the body he said; no one could figure out why it hadn't been stopped already. The corner should have thrown in the towel before that point.

Boxing used to be a wonderful sport but money has killed it.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His old man fought Michael Watson and stopped him. Watson ended up in a coma with a blood clot and is in a wheelchair to this day. He obviously could see what was coming, shame the ref didn't.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Eubank Sr had another fight later in his career that looked like it was going the same way. He dominated the early rounds and knocked the guy down, and obviously recalled the experience with Watson. He backed off because the ref wasn't stopping it, and ended up losing a split decision on points. Fucking crazy.

Can't mind the other boxers name now.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember him fighting a Canadian called Dan Sherry (I think) and he nutted him. Sherry said he couldn't carry on and it went to points. Eubank won on points. Did he fight Gary Stretch as well?