Bring Back the Damn 15-Minute NFL Overtime

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Bring Back the Damn 15-Minute NFL Overtime

The NFL's decision to tinker with overtime and make it a 10-minute period instead of 15 resulted in an increased likelihood of ties. And no one particularly likes ties -- even those who enjoy kissing their sister. A tie leaves no one satisfied and makes it almost impossible to decipher standings coming down the stretch.

So dear reader, it is with great delight that I tell you the Philadelphia Eagles proposed going back to the original 15-minute setup today as part of seven potential rule changes for next year. Owners approved the truncated session before the 2017 season.

View: https://twitter.com/nflfootballops/status/1237453921498456065?s=21

There has been only a slight uptick in ties since the change (three over two years as opposed to five over the previous five), but the panic of realizing it could happen sets in almost immediately. And a knotted score can ruin a season before it even gets going. For instance, the Detroit Lions never recovered from an opening week draw against Arizona last season. That and only that is the reason there was no winning at the end of the rainbow most weeks.

The Eagles will get to defend their amendment at the league meeting later this month, though any sane person should be on board immediately. Playing five extra minutes of football doesn't quite present the existential risk it once did when discussions are ongoing to play at least one extra regular season game.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2880229-eagles-4th-and-15-onside-kick-alternative-among-proposed-nfl-rule-changes

Eagles' 4th-and-15 Onside Kick Alternative Among Proposed NFL Rule Changes

Four NFL teams have brought forth seven proposed rule changes for the league to consider implementing in the 2020 season.

The most significant rule proposal, from the Philadelphia Eagles, includes an alternative to the onside kick that would give the trailing team possession of the ball after scoring and a 4th-and-15 from its own 25-yard line:

View: https://twitter.com/nflfootballops/status/1237453921498456065?s=21

Per ESPN's Kevin Seifert, the proposals have not yet been endorsed by the competition committee.

The onside kick proposal is a modification of a rule the NFL used for the Pro Bowl in January.

Teams had the option of running one additional play from their own 25-yard line after scoring. If the team gained 15 or more yards on the play, it would retain possession. If it didn't pick up enough yardage, the opposing team would get possession from the dead-ball spot.

The NFC used the rule late in the fourth quarter after a touchdown cut its deficit to 38-33. Kirk Cousins' pass intended for Kenny Golladay was intercepted by Earl Thomas III and allowed the AFC to run out the clock.

The Eagles also proposed returning overtime periods to 15 minutes and changing rules to "minimize the impact of the overtime coin toss." The NFL shortened overtime to 10 minutes beginning with the 2017 season as part of an ongoing effort to reduce the risk of player injuries.

Since the 2012 regular season, overtime rules state both teams get at least one possession unless the first team scores a touchdown on the opening drive.

That rule has come under scrutiny in the past two years. The Kansas City Chiefs lost the 2018 AFC Championship Game to the New England Patriots, while the New Orleans Saints lost in the NFC Wild Card Round to the Minnesota Vikings last year, both because the winning team scored a touchdown on the first possession of overtime.

The Los Angeles Chargers and Baltimore Ravens jointly proposed adding a booth umpire to increase the size of officiating crews from seven to eight. Current officiating roles in NFL games include a referee, umpire, down judge, line judge, field judge, back judge and side judge.

If the NFL's competition committee endorses the proposed rule changes, they will be presented to the owners for a vote at the annual league meeting that will be held from March 29 to April 1.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i don't understand why the team that is trailing needs extra help to make a comeback.

fuck em.

they had the first three and a half quarters to do something about the result. if they're not in a position to win the game at the end without some manufactured rule to assist them then bad luck.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

i don't understand why the team that is trailing needs extra help to make a comeback.

fuck em.

they had the first three and a half quarters to do something about the result. if they're not in a position to win the game at the end without some manufactured rule to assist them then bad luck.

I agree. It’s a fine line.

The end result being the winner is who deserved to win.

fearsomefour

Legend
The NFL went to a 10 minute overtime to shorten the game.....in the rare cases of OT I guess.
Then put in auto reviews in NY for any close catch in the last two minutes. This has turned the last two min into the last two minutes of an NBA game.
Under Goodell the NFL will always make the wrong choice. Always. This has played out over and over again.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's nothing wrong with the changes they made to OT.

oldnotdead

Legend
15 yards is far too easy and is considered mid-range in most passing attacks. The yardage should be 20 or teams with good passing games will simply opt to do it all the time. The percentage of successful 15-yard plays is far greater than the normal onside kick. That would be a stupid change if kept at 15 yds. I think the current OT rules are fair. Those who lose without their offense taking the field, ignore that they had their chance but their defense blew it.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
I think overtime is fine. However I don't believe in ties. I think this needs to go full college rules. Keep going til someone stops the other.

Q729

Legend
Do something like the XFL OT (which we haven't seen yet). Line everybody up on each end of the field (not sure what distance from the endzone is best) and take turns trying to score like a penalty shot. This way each side of the ball on both teams has a hand in the game. Or fuck it. Do sudden death again.