Brief examination of the offensive line Rams vs. Seahawks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I put my offensive line glasses on and reviewed the game. This is what they showed me:

Guard - Not a final grade by any means, but Bryan Mattison played pretty well at RG. He showed decent feet and technique, and appears to be somewhat athletic. I didn't see him miss many assignments. He played with some power in the running game, and pancaked a very good defensive lineman. He showed some tenacity and grit. He does have some trouble blocking in space, and picking up that second level block, but he got to the level easily. I didn't really see Seattle challenge him in the passing game, so I will have to wait on that. He showed some rust and missed a couple of blocks.

Jason Brown is struggling to play LG. He missed some assignments, blocks, got overpowered, and is probably the worst blocker on the second level or backside. I don't know where he is mentally, but I don't see a future with him on the team. I'm happy to report that the Rams have Kevin Hughes as the backup to both Guards on the depth chart. Hughes is a Guard IMO, although they never let him play there during the preseason. The Rams have let go of a lot young players, I hope they keep Hughes at Guard. I would like to see Hughes get some reps at LG so the Rams can get a look at him before the season is over.

Center - Tony Wragge played a little better than he has played previously, but I have a problem with a Center that repeatedly forgets the snap count. He struggles helping block downfield or backside. Wragge doesn't really do anything really well, but he doesn't do anything really bad either. I will keep my eye and mind open on Tony Wragge for the rest of the season. So far, I am not impressed.

Tackle - Harvey Dahl is playing very well at RT, and I'd have no qualms about leaving him there going into next season, remaining hopeful that Mattison and Hughes develop at the Guard positions. Dahl made several great athletic blocks downfield and in the backfield of rushing linebackers and safeties. Dahl's pass blocking was exceptional, and I didn't see him give up any pressures, or sacks. Nobody has played better than Dahl this year at RT, but I want to see how he does against the Bengals, because they bring it from both sides, and in fairness, I don't think Dahl has faced as many good pass rushers as some of the others have.

Mark Levoir - played a little, better than I originally thought, but he is very slow, not very athletic, and I don't think he's at the level of shape that he needs to be. He is of no benefit in the screen game or on any kind of downfield blocking. He's below average as a pass blocker. Like with Wragge, I will continue to watch him closely to see if he would make a worthy backup, but I'm not sure of his versatility. Adam Goldberg came in and on one play managed to tackle Steven Jackson on the goal line preventing a touchdown. Enough said. Thomas Welch played a few plays, but he looked entirely lost. These guys were forced to play in short yardage situations, because we ran out of tight ends and don't have a fullback.

Tight end - Lance Kendricks made some nice blocks, and missed a couple blitzers that I think he should have picked up. He also had a huge gain on the perfectly thrown crossing pattern, but it appears as if he is still limping and clearly not 100%. In the preseason, he may have outrun the secondary and scored a touchdown. Billy Bajema managed to almost get Sam Bradford killed again by another piss poor block. For all QB's sake, cut him as soon as possible, how he managed to get a roster spot is beyond my examination of his consistently bad play.

That's it for now... The Doctor is out.

Questions and comments are welcome.

Anonymous

Re: Brief examination of the offensive line Rams vs. Seahawk

DR RAM said:
I don't know where he is mentally, but I don't see a future with him on the team.

Brown is an "execution" victim in this year's offense, I promise. He's recuperable with a real off-season. He didn't lose talent. He doesn't GET *this* offense, and I also have a sneaking suspicion he doesn't take well to being berated by the Little Dictator (that would be McD, who as JT confirms although we already knew this, has a temper,and a mouth).

This is not the first player on offense where the coordinator did a number on his confidence. I think Bradford is yet another.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame

zn said:
DR RAM said:
I don't know where he is mentally, but I don't see a future with him on the team.

Brown is an "execution" victim in this year's offense, I promise. He's recuperable with a real off-season. He didn't lose talent. He doesn't GET *this* offense, and I also have a sneaking suspicion he doesn't take well to being berated by the Little Dictator (that would be McD, who as JT confirms although we already knew this, has a temper,and a mouth).

This is not the first player on offense where the coordinator did a number on his confidence. I think Bradford is yet another.

Im starting wonder about Brown myself. Year on he was a stud. Year two was disappointing. And this year has been awful.

Im really not sure whats going on with him. Hopefully the talent he exhibited a few years ago didnt just fall off a cliff

Anonymous

libertadrocks said:
zn said:
DR RAM said:

Im starting wonder about Brown myself. Year on he was a stud. Year two was disappointing. And this year has been awful.

Im really not sure whats going on with him. Hopefully the talent he exhibited a few years ago didnt just fall off a cliff

How was he disappointing in 2010?

Anyway. That's the thing. He's too young to have a talent loss, so whatever happened this year is because of his head, not his body.

He is not the only Rams linemen to look confused and lost out there.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

DR RAM said:
I put my offensive line glasses on and reviewed the game. This is what they showed me:

Guard - Not a final grade by any means, but Bryan Mattison played pretty well at RG. He showed decent feet and technique, and appears to be somewhat athletic. I didn't see him miss many assignments. He played with some power in the running game, and pancaked a very good defensive lineman. He showed some tenacity and grit. He does have some trouble blocking in space, and picking up that second level block, but he got to the level easily. I didn't really see Seattle challenge him in the passing game, so I will have to wait on that. He showed some rust and missed a couple of blocks.

Jason Brown is struggling to play LG. He missed some assignments, blocks, got overpowered, and is probably the worst blocker on the second level or backside. I don't know where he is mentally, but I don't see a future with him on the team. I'm happy to report that the Rams have Kevin Hughes as the backup to both Guards on the depth chart. Hughes is a Guard IMO, although they never let him play there during the preseason. The Rams have let go of a lot young players, I hope they keep Hughes at Guard. I would like to see Hughes get some reps at LG so the Rams can get a look at him before the season is over.

Center - Tony Wragge played a little better than he has played previously, but I have a problem with a Center that repeatedly forgets the snap count. He struggles helping block downfield or backside. Wragge doesn't really do anything really well, but he doesn't do anything really bad either. I will keep my eye and mind open on Tony Wragge for the rest of the season. So far, I am not impressed.

Tackle - Harvey Dahl is playing very well at RT, and I'd have no qualms about leaving him there going into next season, remaining hopeful that Mattison and Hughes develop at the Guard positions. Dahl made several great athletic blocks downfield and in the backfield of rushing linebackers and safeties. Dahl's pass blocking was exceptional, and I didn't see him give up any pressures, or sacks. Nobody has played better than Dahl this year at RT, but I want to see how he does against the Bengals, because they bring it from both sides, and in fairness, I don't think Dahl has faced as many good pass rushers as some of the others have.

Mark Levoir - played a little, better than I originally thought, but he is very slow, not very athletic, and I don't think he's at the level of shape that he needs to be. He is of no benefit in the screen game or on any kind of downfield blocking. He's below average as a pass blocker. Like with Wragge, I will continue to watch him closely to see if he would make a worthy backup, but I'm not sure of his versatility. Adam Goldberg came in and on one play managed to tackle Steven Jackson on the goal line preventing a touchdown. Enough said. Thomas Welch played a few plays, but he looked entirely lost. These guys were forced to play in short yardage situations, because we ran out of tight ends and don't have a fullback.

Tight end - Lance Kendricks made some nice blocks, and missed a couple blitzers that I think he should have picked up. He also had a huge gain on the perfectly thrown crossing pattern, but it appears as if he is still limping and clearly not 100%. In the preseason, he may have outrun the secondary and scored a touchdown. Billy Bajema managed to almost get Sam Bradford killed again by another piss poor block. For all QB's sake, cut him as soon as possible, how he managed to get a roster spot is beyond my examination of his consistently bad play.

Adam Goldberg came in and on one play managed to tackle Steven Jackson on the goal line preventing a touchdown. ]

That Sir is this season in a nutshell.

The only thing that could top it is the time we had 1st and goal at the 3 and ended up punting.

Nice post.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yamahopper said:
DR RAM said:

Adam Goldberg came in and on one play managed to tackle Steven Jackson on the goal line preventing a touchdown. ]

The only thing that could top it is the time we had 1st and goal at the 3 and ended up punting.

Nice post.
I'm really looking forward to Mattison playing again.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:
DR RAM said:

Nice post.

I to thought he played very well considering his experience level. I wish we could get more of these young guys some playing time. I would have no issue with making some roster moves cutting some of the vets that won't be back and bring up some PS guys for the last couple games. And raiding a few other teams PS's might be a option for the rest of the season. Churn the roster. But then can we make it till next season with out cutting all the young guys again?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yamahopper said:
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:
DR RAM said:

Nice post.

I to thought he played very well considering his experience level. I wish we could get more of these young guys some playing time. I would have no issue with making some roster moves cutting some of the vets that won't be back and bring up some PS guys for the last couple games. And raiding a few other teams PS's might be a option for the rest of the season. Churn the roster. But then can we make it till next season with out cutting all the young guys again?
For guys they already know they are not bringing back, I have no problem with that. I have no problem going back to the original plan of building with youth. I want sustainability in the future, as long as I see improvement, I can be patient. I don't like what happened this year.

I would love to see Hughes play some Guard in the next couple of games, even if it's a few series.