Bridgewater struggling in private workouts too?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 12, 2014, 6:51 AM EDT

Former Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater disappointed the NFL scouts, coaches and executives in attendance with a shaky performance at his Pro Day workout.

Fortunately for Bridgewater, there are lots of private workouts between Pro Day and the draft, giving him lots of opportunities to change NFL perceptions of him.

Unfortunately for Bridgewater, those private workouts haven’t gone any better than his Pro Day. According to Chris Mortensen of ESPN, Bridgewater’s workouts for NFL teams have been very shaky.

The general sense seems to be that Bridgewater is sliding on draft boards. However, all it takes is one team to love Bridgewater, and he’ll still be a high first-round pick.

And it’s easy to see why a team would love Bridgewater: He was an excellent player at Louisville. Anyone would rather have a player who excels on the field but struggles in workouts than a player who struggles on the field but excels in workouts.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/12/bridgewater-struggling-in-private-workouts/

paceram

Pro Bowler
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 12, 2014, 6:51 AM EDT

Former Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater disappointed the NFL scouts, coaches and executives in attendance with a shaky performance at his Pro Day workout.

Fortunately for Bridgewater, there are lots of private workouts between Pro Day and the draft, giving him lots of opportunities to change NFL perceptions of him.

Unfortunately for Bridgewater, those private workouts haven’t gone any better than his Pro Day. According to Chris Mortensen of ESPN, Bridgewater’s workouts for NFL teams have been very shaky.

The general sense seems to be that Bridgewater is sliding on draft boards. However, all it takes is one team to love Bridgewater, and he’ll still be a high first-round pick.

And it’s easy to see why a team would love Bridgewater: He was an excellent player at Louisville. Anyone would rather have a player who excels on the field but struggles in workouts than a player who struggles on the field but excels in workouts.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/12/bridgewater-struggling-in-private-workouts/

If Bridgewater continues to struggle I would think that would just make the Rams #2 pick that more valuable. I would think that would up the value of Bortles and Manziel which would hopefully lead to more and better trade offers.

FRO

Legend
If Bridgewater continues to struggle I would think that would just make the Rams #2 pick that more valuable. I would think that would up the value of Bortles and Manziel which would hopefully lead to more and better trade offers.
Good point. However I'm hoping Clowney is there at two and no trade down is necessary.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Good point. However I'm hoping Clowney is there at two and no trade down is necessary.
Agreed! I will be happy if the Rams get Robinson, Watkins, Mack or Matthews with their top pick but I will be THRILLED if they end up with Clowney! It's hard to imagine what kind of pass rush opposing teams would face with Quinn, Long and Clowney! I am guessing Clowney would be the Rams DB's new best Friend!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hunt and when I practice shooting my rifle I am an excellent shot. My brother is terrible on the shooting range.

But I cannot shoot a running deer and Danny is an excellent shot when we are in the woods and the deer is running.

Maybe Teddy just has to be in the moment to excel, because he looked good in games. Still it would make a GM confident risking a first day pick on him.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I wish people wouldn't write off these struggles as nothing. If he can't handle the pressure of performing(such as it is) in scripted, rehearsed workouts then it's a definite red flag. Based on his college career he seems to have enough physical skills so one is left to consider that he may not handle pressure too well. Which is something that no no one really wants in their QB.

iced

I wish people wouldn't write off these struggles as nothing. If he can't handle the pressure of performing(such as it is) in scripted, rehearsed workouts then it's a definite red flag. Based on his college career he seems to have enough physical skills so one is left to consider that he may not handle pressure too well. Which is something that no no one really wants in their QB.

If true, this would be a huge deal to me. You could chalk up the pro day to a bad day - but to have multiple days? definitely wouldn't risk a high pick on a guy if he struggles at a private work out too

Memphis Ram

Legend
Bridgewater’s agent responds to report of “shaky” workouts
Posted by Mike Florio on April 12, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
bridgewater.jpg
AP
The glove-free Pro Day workout from former Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewaterplaced extra pressure on him for any and all private workouts with teams. But since private workouts are (duh) private, there’s no way for anyone to scrutinize the things Bridgewater may be doing when throwing for one team at a time.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN nevertheless has reported that Bridgewater’s private workouts have been “shaky,” a broad observation that implies the receipt of accurate observation from every team for whom Bridgewater has worked out — which is in this context a virtual impossibility. Teams lie as a matter of habit in the weeks preceding the draft, and any team that would say bad things about Bridgewater may want Bridgewater to linger on the board long enough for that team to get him. Or to get a second shot at him in a later round.

Not surprisingly, then, Bridgewater’s agent, Kennard McGuire, has responded to the report via text and email to PFT.

For starters, McGuire says that Bridgewater has had only one private workout. Which necessarily contradicts the notion that Bridgewater has had shaky workouts.

“I have a tremendous amount of respect for journalists who work in this new age of media,” McGuire said via email. “While I am certain this statement wasn’t intended to be misleading, it is my duty to remove and eliminate any doubt. Teddy has visited multiple teams with more workouts and visits coming in the near future. The assessment we received from the one workout was ‘simply amazing and sharp,’ and we expect nothing short or less than stellar in the upcoming workouts in the very near future.”

McGuire said another workout will happen today, which will be Bridgewater’s second. More workouts will come. And whatever teams say on or off the record about the prviate workouts can’t be trusted. Too much is riding on the ability of teams to get the guys they want in the draft. Jobs, in some cases, are riding on the way the draft dominoes fall.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-agent-responds-to-report-of-shaky-workouts/