Brian Schottenheimer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I just think the game has passed him and he's done. The NFL is always looking for offensive coordinators maybe not Fisher, but other Head Coaches, IMO, it was time for him to retire and I don't think he would bring much to the table.

He worked for Lovie Smith in Chicago which I felt was a much better fit than in San Francisco & Detroit and it did not work so that is why I believe Martz will not coach again IMHO.

Now I'm all for replacing Schottenheimer, but I would rather go with Rod Chudzinski currently an offensive consultant with the Colts. However, if Fisher does make a change I doubt it will be Chud, it will most likely be current Browns QB Coach Dowell Loggains who coached with Fisher in Tennessee. Although the thought of promoting Cignetti and keeping Schottenheimer is good plan communicated by @Merlin.
I like Chudzinski too and I wonder why he isn't an OC somewhere?

As far as Martz in Chicago, I think Cutler's a coach killer so I don't hold that particular situation against Martz. I was anxious to see what Martz could do with the most "gifted" QB he'd ever had but it was not a good match.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As far as Martz in Chicago, I think Cutler's a coach killer so I don't hold that particular situation against Martz. I was anxious to see what Martz could do with the most "gifted" QB he'd ever had but it was not a good match.

Not disagreeing with you, but IMO, Martz could see the hand writing on the wall. He had three opportunities and was relieved of his duties each time. Plus record showcases he's not the easiest to work with. Now you do need to have cohesion on a coaching staff and that's one of the reasons Blake Williams was not brought back.

Most assistants are signed to three year deals so after the season Fisher could move in another direction without technically firing one of the assistants. It will be interesting to see how it plays out because one would surmise there should be some changes, however, maybe not the major ones we are hoping for.

RamPower44

UDFA
Name
Marco
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This OP is a direct cut and paste of Bernie's column in today's paper.

Just another typical use of arbitrary stats in an attempt to support a skewed agenda.

Trying to compare the numbers in Bradfords starts to how they stack up with the likes of Clemens Davis and Hill, IMO is convenient but not accurate.

Put Bradford with this group of players and the numbers would be substantially better. Using Bradford as some sort of measuring stick with the talent AT THE TIME (experience and performance) just isn't a fair comparison.

It's what Bernie does. Quote a bunch of stats and fit them into an agenda based conclusion.

CoachO I was just posting the article to see what you guys thought. to you guys to form your own agenda. lol

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The question is how much of that is on Kellen Clemens, Shaun Hill, and Austin Davis. Not the best quarterbacks to hope for lots of TDs.

Bradford doesn't get a pass either. He has 12 games in the last 23 games he has played in over the last three years where he has thrown only one or no touchdown passes. That's not great production.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
He had three opportunities and was relieved of his duties each time.
Problem with that statement is that in at least two of those opportunities, he wasn't the problem and the offense regressed after he left. (Scapegoat for the HC in Detroit, and Singletary wanting to go a different direction in SF.) The third... well, Cutler has a rep as a coach killer...

I'd honestly say his worst choices post-Rams were in choosing where he wanted to work because he went into some no-win situations IMO.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
CoachO I was just posting the article to see what you guys thought. to you guys to form your own agenda. lol
Since you're new here, I'll just let you know that the rule here is with articles, you provide a link back to the original article.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Schotty can definitely be replaced, he's not a great OC. But at the same time, our guys need to execute better. I think we can upgrade both the OC and our offensive talent because they all aren't getting it done besides a few players.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
It's really hard to actually put the finger on just one spot/position/coach here. I mean we all know that BS is not the best OC in the league, but he also has a HC in Jeff Fisher ,who has HIS way of winning games. Is JF pulling his strings a bit? Then .. the flux on the OL over the past few yrs. All the injuries and different OL combinations ... hard to maintain ANY game plan from week to week ... ditto on the QB front. Different guys excel at different things.
Then .. .there is the youth factor. We are still the youngest team in the league, especially at our skill positions. In my own mind, I see the culmination of everything is what has been holding this offense from really hitting the strides we all would like to see. Hopefully soon, things will solidify and gel for a bright future.

Athos

Legend
Hard to say without knowing what Sam would have done if healthy.

Fact is though, with a QB like Mariota, etc, you most certainly have to phase BS out. He clearly doesn't have the mind for Tavon. He wouldn't know a damn thing on how to use a QB with legs.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Problem with that statement is that in at least two of those opportunities, he wasn't the problem and the offense regressed after he left. (Scapegoat for the HC in Detroit, and Singletary wanting to go a different direction in SF.) The third... well, Cutler has a rep as a coach killer...

I'd honestly say his worst choices post-Rams were in choosing where he wanted to work because he went into some no-win situations IMO.

Once is a fluke, twice is a pattern and three times is a trend. At times you have to stop making excuses. There are better options than Martz and the Chicago opportunity was considered his best with Cutler and working for Lovie Smith. Cutler a coach killer...Well, after a while, you have to stop making excuses and look in the mirror...Martz did that and retired, he's done.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Once is a fluke, twice is a pattern and three times is a trend. At times you have to stop making excuses. There are better options than Martz and the Chicago opportunity was considered his best with Cutler and working for Lovie Smith. Cutler a coach killer...Well, after a while, you have to stop making excuses and look in the mirror...Martz did that and retired, he's done.
To each their own, but I prefer to consider each situation on its own rather than dismiss the whole situation with a platitude.

Chicago MIGHT... repeat MIGHT have been his fault. The other two clearly weren't and the offenses involved declined noticeably when he was gone.