Brian Schottenheimer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamPower44

UDFA
Name
Marco
  • Over the last three seasons the Rams rank 30th in the NFL with 79 touchdowns from scrimmage. Only the Jets (69) and Jaguars (66) have fewer TDs. Seventeen NFL teams have scored at least 100 touchdowns over the last three years.
  • Not including the touchdowns scored by the defense or on special-teams returns, the Rams ranked 26th in points from scrimmage in 2012, improved slightly to 21st in 2013, and have slipped to the No. 25 ranking this season.
  • In the 43 games under Fisher-Schottenheimer the Rams’ offense has scored two touchdowns or fewer in 31 games.
  • Despite the Fisher-Schottenheimer reputation for building physical and effective rushing attacks, the Rams rank 29th over the last three seasons with only 21 rushing touchdowns.
  • Over the last three seasons NFL teams have averaged 23 points per game. In Fisher’s 43 games, the Rams have scored 23 or more points only 16 times.
  • And when the Rams manage to hit that league average of 23 points, they’ve gone 11-5-1.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
The question with all those stats though is how much of the production failure is the coaching, how much is player talent and how much is player execution?

RamPower44

UDFA
Name
Marco
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The question with all those stats though is how much of the production failure is the coaching, how much is player talent and how much is player execution?

Boffo97 I say a little bit of both. Rams have some talent on offense but you have to call right plays to succeed.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

The question is how much of that is on Kellen Clemens, Shaun Hill, and Austin Davis. Not the best quarterbacks to hope for lots of TDs.

WvuIN02

Starter
Good post, kind of puts what Ive felt about him in tangible terms. If this team had just a decent QB and a good OC or system, the Rams could win the SB.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
I'm not a fan of BS, when he can't find ways to effectively use Tavon Austin except for the fake reverse and running between the tackles!

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What were the same stats for the three seasons before Fisher and Co?

Ramathon

What were the same stats for the three seasons before Fisher and Co?

Good question. But heck, I'd expand that to ask what are those same stats for any year since Martz departed.

And NO, I'm not advocating bringing MM back, just reflecting on how barren the O has been since.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I would bring Martz here in a hot second to run this offense. I actually think we have the right personnel for his offense when all the pieces are healthy. Steddy playing the Holt role, Quick as a bigger Bruce and Tavon mimicking Az. Add Britt and Cook to that, plus our cadre of RBs and I think Martz could unleash some fury on the league. Not GSOT type fury, as we have no one that could emulate what Faulk did (that person doesn't exist) but better than 20ppg or whatever.

The question is how much of that is on Kellen Clemens, Shaun Hill, and Austin Davis. Not the best quarterbacks to hope for lots of TDs.

With Sam Bradford in we scored 41 TDs, 34 FGs, over 23 games, for an average of 16.9 offensive points per game.
With Kellen Clemens in we scored 18 TDs, 15 FGs, over 9 games, for an average of 19 offensive points per game.
With Austin Davis in we scored 17 TDs, 10 FGs, over 8.5 games, for an average of 17.5 offensive points per game.
With Shaun Hill in we scored 3 TDs, 6 FGs, over 2.5 games, for an average of 15.6 offensive points per game.

With Bradford in we had an average rushing yards per game of 96.
With Clemens in we had an average rushing yards per game of 140.
With Davis in we had an average rushing yards per game of 100.
With Hill in we had an average rushing yards per game of 96.

Seems we made a commitment to the run game with Clemens in and it worked to some extent.

One last comparison, 2009-2011 with Mark Sanchez the Jets scored 112 TDs, 79 FGs, over 48 games for an average of 21.3 points per game, Sanchez in his 4 games with Pat Shurmur :eek: (well Chip Kelly to be fair) as his OC has scored 13 TDs, 12 FGs for an average of 31.8 points per game.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I would bring Martz here in a hot second to run this offense. I actually think we have the right personnel for his offense when all the pieces are healthy. Steddy playing the Holt role, Quick as a bigger Bruce and Tavon mimicking Az. Add Britt and Cook to that, plus our cadre of RBs and I think Martz could unleash some fury on the league. Not GSOT type fury, as we have no one that could emulate what Faulk did (that person doesn't exist) but better than 20ppg or whatever.

+1 I would be thrilled to get Martz back! There might be some controversy but at least there would be some excitement back in the Rams Offense! Do you think Martz would even consider coming back to the Rams as an OC?

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
+1 I would be thrilled to get Martz back! There might be some controversy but at least there would be some excitement back in the Rams Offense! Do you think Martz would even consider coming back to the Rams as an OC?

Not in this lifetime...All available bridges were torched, IMO...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

No Mike Martz has retired from football so that's not going to happen!

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Question wasn't directed at me, but not a chance in hell.

Think about it. Imagine an organization mistreats you (at least, in your opinion) for a fairly long amount of time then unfairly (again, in your opinion) terminates you because they want to blame you for the failings of others.

Even with the specific people who mistreated you gone, how do you see it as anything but an insult to come back to the same organization in a lesser position?

Now granted, I'm taking a couple of guesses here at Martz's mindset, but I think they're fairly safe guesses.

And all that said, I'm not sure he'd even come back here as a head coach. TV work pays well and is a lot less stressful, and there's just too much baggage here I think.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
This OP is a direct cut and paste of Bernie's column in today's paper.

Just another typical use of arbitrary stats in an attempt to support a skewed agenda.

Trying to compare the numbers in Bradfords starts to how they stack up with the likes of Clemens Davis and Hill, IMO is convenient but not accurate.

Put Bradford with this group of players and the numbers would be substantially better. Using Bradford as some sort of measuring stick with the talent AT THE TIME (experience and performance) just isn't a fair comparison.

It's what Bernie does. Quote a bunch of stats and fit them into an agenda based conclusion.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sort of an ironic statement coming from a guy with Dick Vermeil as his avatar! ;)

Nice....However, Martz was not very successful in his last assignments and IMO we just have to get this out of our head. I'm all for going in another direction, but I just don't think the right direction is going back to the future in Martz.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Nice....However, Martz was not very successful in his last assignments and IMO we just have to get this out of our head. I'm all for going in another direction, but I just don't think the right direction is going back to the future in Martz.
I don't think it's much of a possibility but I actually do think it could work. Martz takes blame that I don't think he deserves and even his "failures" as an OC in Detroit, SF & Chicago would be improvements over what Schottenheimer's been doing.

Heck, even if Martz ran the scaled-back, cater to the conservative coach offenses that he was forced into it would be an improvement over what Schottenheimer usually produces.

This defense could protect a Martz offense too.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Heck, even if Martz ran the scaled-back, cater to the conservative coach offenses that he was forced into it would be an improvement over what Schottenheimer usually produces.

This defense could protect a Martz offense too.

I just think the game has passed him and he's done. The NFL is always looking for offensive coordinators maybe not Fisher, but other Head Coaches, IMO, it was time for him to retire and I don't think he would bring much to the table.

He worked for Lovie Smith in Chicago which I felt was a much better fit than in San Francisco & Detroit and it did not work so that is why I believe Martz will not coach again IMHO.

Now I'm all for replacing Schottenheimer, but I would rather go with Rod Chudzinski currently an offensive consultant with the Colts. However, if Fisher does make a change I doubt it will be Chud, it will most likely be current Browns QB Coach Dowell Loggains who coached with Fisher in Tennessee. Although the thought of promoting Cignetti and keeping Schottenheimer is good plan communicated by @Merlin.