Brian Schottenheimer Is Not the Problem

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
NFL Rewind is something I find to be invaluable. I can't think of any books right now. I learned a lot when I had the opportunity to intern as a coach for a high school team. And from there, I try to just build my knowledge any way I can. I'll say that Matt Bowen, who is a former NFL S, writes articles that I find to be very useful and informative. You can definitely learn a lot reading what he writes.

But watching coach's film on the NFL Rewind teaches you a lot just from observing how things work.

Thnx man, I'll definitely check out Matt Bowen!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fixed as far as what? If you mean fixed well enough that we don't finish in the cellar next year in the NFC West than probably. I think we need the things you mentioned and a new C, OLB and FS to get deep into the playoffs.

I'm not sold we need a new C. We could upgrade at OLB(and MLB) but I don't think it's a major issue. We'll see about FS. McLeod has done a better job and is adequate. I still want to see Joyner in that spot.

Nothing you mentioned addresses our inability to stop the run and to pressure the passer lately much less the poor play of the first third of the year. The three safety configuration they're using now isn't working with any consistency. I believe it's important that we get a real WLB. I also believe that we need a real FS.

I'm not concerned about the defense. They'll be fine. They're still in their first year in a new scheme with a lot of young players. I think we're pretty set aside from depth and upgrading on adequate starters. You don't need an All Pro at every position and you can't afford an All Pro at every position. Defensively, we're a top 10 team. Next year, we could be top 5.

You say you're not very worried about replacing our center but I think that not getting a significant upgrade at that position will bite us in the ass. Wells is not the answer and apparently neither is anyone else on this roster. Did we have a bad snap that caused us to miss a sure TD today? How many bad snaps is that so far this year? That's not even addressing the rest of his play.

Maybe it will. But I want to see what Barrett Jones can do with a full off-season and I want to see Rhaney as well. I've seen Tim Barnes and he's not a liability either. I feel like we can manage with what we have at Center.

So yeah, I guess it depends on what you call success. I sure hope we mange to do something positive about the ones you mentioned though.

I call success being in the playoffs. And I think we have the roster to do it with an upgrade at RG and a stable, adequate starting QB as well as some depth.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thnx man, I'll definitely check out Matt Bowen!

No problem. Bowen is the guy who gave me a ton of insight on Williams's scheme. And it's where my opinion that Joyner is partially responsible for that long Beckham TD comes from...he had something in an article discussing that sort of play. He played for GW in Washington.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
Exactly. Win the trenches and you'll usually win the game.

Absolutely not. But the QB still has to do his job. And our QBs this year haven't done it well enough. We need stability at that spot.
But that's the point,they don't trust our line.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But that's the point,they don't trust our line.

I don't care if they trust their OL. That's not stopping them from hitting the WR with a pass. Hill and Davis just don't get it done. We need a guy that's at least an average starting QB. Hill or Davis are fine if they were starting 1 or 2 games...but over 16 games, they're going to hold this team back. We need Bradford. Hell, I'd settle for Cutler, Stafford, or Palmer.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
No problem. Bowen is the guy who gave me a ton of insight on Williams's scheme. And it's where my opinion that Joyner is partially responsible for that long Beckham TD comes from...he had something in an article discussing that sort of play. He played for GW in Washington.

That's some pretty BA info right there. He writes for the bleacher report correct?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's some pretty BA info right there. He writes for the bleacher report correct?

Bleacher Report and National Football Post are where I've read him.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 getting a more positive attitude every time we talk:
McLeod has done a better job and is adequate. I still want to see Joyner in that spot.

Defensively, we're a top 10 team. Next year, we could be top 5.

Maybe it will. But I want to see what Barrett Jones can do with a full off-season and I want to see Rhaney as well. I've seen Tim Barnes and he's not a liability either. I feel like we can manage with what we have at Center.

I call success being in the playoffs. And I think we have the roster to do it with an upgrade at RG and a stable, adequate starting QB as well as some depth.
So you agree we need an upgrade at FS. I agree that it isn't a huge issue although it could often mean the difference in close games.

You have no empirical evidence to back that up. I know you'll point to our great defensive stretch but have the last two games looked any different than any of our first 4 or 5? Looks the same defense to me but without the "learning a new system" excuse. Not to say that learning a new system wasn't part of the problem but when do we get past that "free pass" period?

I totally disagree with that.

You left out the problem at RT that you mentioned in your post I quoted. As we've found out, even if we keep Barks it isn't a great solution. That's if we are even able to keep him. Plus, Buddha forbid, injuries on the line. We also differ a little in what we label as success. I want us to be competitive in the playoffs before I'd call it a success.

If we only fix those three problems you mentioned we'll be a lot better though. Especially if we fix the QB issue.

Marq

Marq My Wordz
Name
King
So who do we hold accountable? Who is responsible? We're seeing the same mistakes being made, game after game.
Speaking of over and over. He seems to some how start the season like he is lost, get on the hot seat. Halfway through the season figure something out that is highly supported by defense. Everybody starts saying he is only part of the problem. Everything is good, next year will be good. Next thing you know BAM!!!! Ground Hog Day!!!!

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
I don't care if they trust their OL. That's not stopping them from hitting the WR with a pass. Hill and Davis just don't get it done. We need a guy that's at least an average starting QB. Hill or Davis are fine if they were starting 1 or 2 games...but over 16 games, they're going to hold this team back. We need Bradford. Hell, I'd settle for Cutler, Stafford, or Palmer.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that because you can't always expect the QB to overcome the deficiencies of the OL

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You have no empirical evidence to back that up. I know you'll point to our great defensive stretch but have the last two games looked any different than any of our first 4 or 5? Looks the same defense to me but without the "learning a new system" excuse. Not to say that learning a new system wasn't part of the problem but when do we get past that "free pass" period?

I have a lot of empirical evidence to back that up. Defenses have a bad day. It happens. But we were #2 in the NFL going into this game in DPPG Allowed. We'll still be top 8 after this week. Shit happens. Today sucked but even the 2000 Ravens gave up 36 points to the Jacksonville Jaguars. Our defense had a bad day.

So you agree we need an upgrade at FS. I agree that it isn't a huge issue although it could often mean the difference in close games

Need? No. I agree we can upgrade. But I also think the upgrade might be on our roster.

I totally disagree with that.

You're welcome to but I have my opinion.

You left out the problem at RT that you mentioned in your post I quoted. As we've found out, even if we keep Barks it isn't a great solution. That's if we are even able to keep him. Plus, Buddha forbid, injuries on the line. We also differ a little in what we label as success. I want us to be competitive in the playoffs before I'd call it a success.

If we keep Barksdale, we don't need a RT. If we don't keep him, we do need one. Don't know what we'll do.

As I said, we do need depth...especially on the OL.

If we only fix those three problems you mentioned we'll be a lot better though. Especially if we fix the QB issue.

If we fix the problems at RG, RT(if Barks leaves), and QB AND add depth at certain positions, I think we're a playoff team...and not just a playoff team, we're a team that can win in the playoffs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We'll have to agree to disagree on that because you can't always expect the QB to overcome the deficiencies of the OL

I don't. I expect them to do their job. I'm not going to rip Hill from getting sacked because Joseph blew his assignment. I'm not going to rip Hill from throwing a one hopper to the WR because he got hit right before he released it due to Barksdale getting beat. I will rip Hill for missing an open WR when he had time to complete the pass. Because that's his fault.

This is a team game. Everyone has to do his job...but that everyone includes the QB. I don't care if your OL has been poor in the game prior to that play...when the opportunity presents itself, you have to capitalize.

Rams0307

It's hard to tell if Schotty is the issue or not. The first couple years, I wasn't impressed by him. This year, I thought he did a pretty good job given the circumstances. The problem we're having is that we've yet to focus on the interior line high in the draft. This has to be the year we draft a good guard (or center) high. Getting any one of Winston, Cooper, White, or Parker and one of the top guards in the draft would completely change the look of this team.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm mostly spent on writing about Schotty, but I'll just add this analogy: If the NFL were a university and coordinators were students, Schotty would have a 2.0 GPA. Good enough to remain in the program, but not much more. We can do better.

Athos

Legend
I think we're set at WR. Just my opinion. Wouldn't turn one down but I like what we have.

Yea. Britt puts up a monster year imo with Bradford. Well, either him or Quick if he'd stayed healthy.

O-Line is trash.......But doesn't Quick have like 1 year left on his rookie deal? If he puts up a big 2015, why would he want to stay? I guess Britt would be a big reason.

At any rate, I do agree, someway, somehow, we need 3 solid lineman next year. 2 in the draft, and a swing vet at least.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm mostly spent on writing about Schotty, but I'll just add this analogy: If the NFL were a university and coordinators were students, Schotty would have a 2.0 GPA. Good enough to remain in the program, but not much more. We can do better.

Okay but that's ignoring the elephant in the room. We all point out the supporting cast when discussing our QBs...especially Sam...why is Schotty not given the same benefit of the doubt in that regard?

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I have never been on the fire Schotty bandwagon, mainly for practical reasons. Why would a HC (Fisher) who possibly has one year left to prove something start fresh at OC? It is not happening unless Schotty gets a HC job in college somewhere. I do also agree with the points made in the post that our offense is just atrocious in key areas.

IMO Wells has gotten by with his football intelligence while with the Rams. By that I mean, I'm not so sure Fisher is confident that Barnes or Jones can make the correct line calls. So in a sense we have been stuck with Wells.

I'm ok with Schotty, especially when you realize 80% of NFL fans hate their OC. But in reality, it is not that big of a deal.

if wells is in there for his line calls then why do we give up 2 or 3 free runners at our qb almost every game

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think we're set at WR. Just my opinion. Wouldn't turn one down but I like what we have.

When you see what an Odell Beckham does for an average WR corps how do you not think the Rams offense needs that. I like Britt, Quick and Bailey but a Larry Fitzgerald, or T.O. type puts them over the top. Since Quick went down with a supposedly very serious shoulder injury teams have been able to focus on Britt. Britt has looked very good but he needs help. There is no guarantee that Quick is even ready by next season and if the Rams were able to add another top threat it wouldn't matter. Someone like White could make the Rams receiver corps elite.

Either way WR is a strength in round 1 this year and if the Rams truly do draft BPA there would be a high likelihood that they would be in prime position to take one.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Okay but that's ignoring the elephant in the room. We all point out the supporting cast when discussing our QBs...especially Sam...why is Schotty not given the same benefit of the doubt in that regard?

In my other critique's I've always acknowledged that Schotty has had to deal with some talent issues that are not his fault. But that still doesn't excuse some of his baffling playcalls that seem to come at the worst times in games, particularly when some of those playcalls expose the very weaknesses he's had to deal with.

And I also can't for the life of me figure out why he goes away from the running game so quickly, especially when we know there are issues with the QB's he's had in Bradford's absence. He seems to be doing that even more this year than last year, despite having a more explosive back in Mason. And we still had interior OL problems last year, with Wells at C and Chris Williams at LG, but with Stacy he stuck with the run more than now.