Brian Schottenheimer Is Not the Problem

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
cgsuddeath letting reality sink in:
After watching what Dallas did to Andrew Luck I can assure it will take more than the QB to win.
We're probably not going to be able to fix them all next off season either. :(

I think we'll fix enough to make it more interesting next year. (y) Hopefully more consistent play too.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No offense works if the OL doesn't block well but people think it's all on the QB

I don't think it's all on the QB. But there have been plays to be made this year that our QBs have failed to make. I think they take the blame. But I'm pretty intent on fixing the interior...but we also need to have a guy behind the OL that can make the plays that are there to be had. JMO.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath

I think we'll fix enough to make it more interesting next year. (y) Hopefully more consistent play too.
When your center and guard screws up as much as ours have,anything is better.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think we can. If Barksdale walks, go get an OG and RT in the first two rounds. And then we just gotta either get the backup QB spot figured out behind Bradford with a good option or trade for Cutler...and voila, we've fixed our big issues.

If we do go with a guy like Cutler, then we just need to find a QB to develop behind him in 2016 to take over while Cutler acts as a bridge.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
I don't think it's all on the QB. But there have been plays to be made this year that our QBs have failed to make. I think they take the blame. But I'm pretty intent on fixing the interior...but we also need to have a guy behind the OL that can make the plays that are there to be had. JMO.
Yeah but if you were a quarterback for the Rams would you trust our line?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Yep, we can. But it seems like a lot of our success running it comes outside the tackles or on misdirection such as counters and traps. I don't notice a lot of success running the ball inside the tackles to the front-side of the play.
Exactly! The Interior OL play has been horrendous for most of the season. Fisher built the Defense the right way by building and strengthening the DL. The same thing needs to be done on Offense. The old cliche` "it all starts in the trenches" is as true as fuck! If you can't block ..... you are going to struggle

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
I think we can. If Barksdale walks, go get an OG and RT in the first two rounds. And then we just gotta either get the backup QB spot figured out behind Bradford with a good option or trade for Cutler...and voila, we've fixed our big issues.

If we do go with a guy like Cutler, then we just need to find a QB to develop behind him in 2016 to take over while Cutler acts as a bridge.
Culter's not leaving Chicago.Look how bad Clausen was today.Not to mention Shannahan will be coaching there and he drafted Cutler so I wouldn't bet on him leaving.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly! The Interior OL play has been horrendous for most of the season. Fisher built the Defense the right way by building and strengthening the DL. The same thing needs to be done on Offense. The old cliche` "it all starts in the trenches" is as true as freak! If you can't block ..... you are going to struggle

Exactly. Win the trenches and you'll usually win the game.

Yeah but if you were a quarterback for the Rams would you trust our line?

Absolutely not. But the QB still has to do his job. And our QBs this year haven't done it well enough. We need stability at that spot.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I'm not a fan of schotty and he does call some bone headed plays at the wrong time and his misuse of Austin leads to never ending frustration.

Having said that, if we had a QB with an arm that wasn't made out of wet tissue paper and had any kind of accuracy, Britt would have like 15 td's. Also having a center and RG that weren't turnstiles would be great too.

I have always disliked schotty but he has been ok. I'd like an upgrade for the reasons I posted, but he is not the main culprit in what is holding us back, and won't be upset with him staying.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Culter's not leaving Chicago.Look how bad Clausen was today.Not to mention Shannahan will be coaching there and he drafted Cutler so I wouldn't bet on him leaving.

I have a feeling if Chicago can get rid of Cutler's contract, they will. And I have a hard time seeing Shanahan get the job after the mess in Washington.

But we shall see.

I tell ya what...if the Giants decide to move on from Eli...I'll definitely take him.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
What kills me is that if Hill could hit the longer balls that Bradford is good at, this offense even under Hill would be so much more potent.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
He may not be the problem but I don't think he's the solution either. I think the Rams could do better...

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
@jrry32 Hey you seem to have one hell of a football mind. I'm always trying to grow my FB IQ. I have a fundamental and working understanding of most offensive and defensive schemes. However you see things I just wouldn't. Any tips or books or something I could use to grow that IQ?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What kills me is that if Hill could hit the longer balls that Bradford is good at, this offense even under Hill would be so much more potent.

Yep. Had both Britt and Tavon today.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It's been mattering all season

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32 Hey you seem to have one hell of a football mind. I'm always trying to grow my FB IQ. I have a fundamental and working understanding of most offensive and defensive schemes. However you see things I just wouldn't. Any tips or books or something I could use to grow that IQ?

NFL Rewind is something I find to be invaluable. I can't think of any books right now. I learned a lot when I had the opportunity to intern as a coach for a high school team. And from there, I try to just build my knowledge any way I can. I'll say that Matt Bowen, who is a former NFL S, writes articles that I find to be very useful and informative. You can definitely learn a lot reading what he writes.

But watching coach's film on the NFL Rewind teaches you a lot just from observing how things work.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
We didn't get all that good of QB play today.

But, the offense did score 27 points. If that's not enough to win the game, then I think today's blame falls on the defense and the turnovers for the most part.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 having trouble with his math:
Fixed as far as what? If you mean fixed well enough that we don't finish in the cellar next year in the NFC West then probably. I think we need the things you mentioned and a new C, OLB and FS to get deep into the playoffs.

Nothing you mentioned addresses our inability to stop the run and to pressure the passer lately much less the poor play of the first third of the year. The three safety configuration they're using now isn't working with any consistency. I believe it's important that we get a real WLB. I also believe that we need a real FS.

You say you're not very worried about replacing our center but I think that not getting a significant upgrade at that position will bite us in the ass. Wells is not the answer and apparently neither is anyone else on this roster. Did we have a bad snap that caused us to miss a sure TD today? How many bad snaps is that so far this year? That's not even addressing the rest of his play.

So yeah, I guess it depends on what you call success. I sure hope we mange to do something positive about the ones you mentioned though.