Brian Schottenheimer has got to go...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
You always bring up points I don't necessarily think about. I appreciate that. I keep going back and forth on schotty. But one thing that I can't get out of my head, when you see teams that block well, few penalties, people know their assignments, what's the first thing every body says.
"They are a well coached team."
What does that mean for us that we are not well coached? That may be over simplifying but i do think about that alot
I don't disagree with that premise. But that doesn't just fall on the OC. All of the coaches, from Fisher no down have to share in that.

For me, the only thing I can find fault with in Schottenheimer, is the complexity of his system. It's pretty well known, that his system is not simple by any means. While it may appear that way based on the design, the terminology, and the different variables on each and every play, for all 11 are anything but. At some point, they need to make things easier for these young players to understand. The problem with that, is when you dummy it down, you also become more basic in your game plan. And when you add to the mix a street FA 3rd string QB they can't help it.

But that has very little to do with his playcalling, IMO.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
except they moved the ball just fine. The eight offensive penalties did more to derail the drives than the play calling. Just not many 3rd and 20 plays in ANY playbook.

At what point do we start putting the onus on the players lack of execution? And not on the play calling. Every single play in the playbook should work IF it is properly executed. Now we all know there are some that are geared for specific downs and distance, but at some point the spotlight needs to be shined on the players for the continued lack of execution and continued breakdowns.

However it's possible that it's both.......do you agree with that?

Do you think TA up the gut is a smart play call/design?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I never saw that call, so I can't imagine it was a play design. I did see a hand-off to Tavon that had Floyd on top of him almost immediately after he got the ball, which subsequently forced Tavon to adjust and run wherever he could. Do you know for sure that play was designed for him to run between the tackles, or if it was designed for him to bounce it outside and was blown up?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
However it's possible that it's both.......do you agree with that?

I actually don't have a problem with running Austin between the tackles. It was a quick hitting play, and if he hits a seam, he is gone. Again, to me, its about the lack of execution on the play, rather than the play call itself. They have run this play numerous time in practice, and there have been plenty of times when he explodes thru the hole, and no one is going to catch him. On his next carry, they tried to get him to the outside, and he was pulled down for a loss, because of the penetration. Again, to me, that is more about poor execution than play calling.

On the flip side, they have run the exact same play they ran in the Chicago game last year in practice quite often and I didn't see it work one single time.

I agree, there is plenty of blame, if that is what you want to call it, to go around. I just think its become the default response to blame the OC when a game doesn't go well.

Last edited:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I never saw that call, so I can't imagine it was a play design. I did see a hand-off to Tavon that had Floyd on top of him almost immediately after he got the ball, which subsequently forced Tavon to adjust and run wherever he could. Do you know for sure that play was designed for him to run between the tackles, or if it was designed for him to bounce it outside and was blown up?
What it looked like was Joseph was slow in pulling and Floyd beat him there.

…..

Legend
After you get through with all the excuses....Brian Schottenheimer is still very replaceable. He was boring last year and the year before. His running formations are unimaginative and predictable in my opinion. I would like to see more rhythm established and feel that play calling may enhance that. You can use penalties as a rhythm killer but establishing rhythm has always been an issue for me since Brian has been here, not just last week.

Having said all the above, its not logical to actually replace him at this point. But the conversation does have merit.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

True, hard to say.

However my point that it's a little of both still stands. Execution is lacking but the O is drab. It's like Schurmur never left LOL.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I still think things looked good before Davis took over. Were they running some Philly no huddle 75 offensive snaps offense? No, but they were gaining yards. There were several 5-7 yard runs, a few deep passes thrown a couple completed. Just poor penalties.

cracengl

Rookie
BTW, I had to go about an hour ago. I pity the poor guy who was waiting on my stall at Kroger.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO the offensive side of the ball will have changes next year. Unless the tide turns quickly I could see Jason Garrett as the offensive coordinator and several new assistants on that side of the ball.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
...and use paper plates while the dishwasher is on the fritz.

...and enjoy the weather before that St. Louis winter sets in.

...get a decent pair of sunglasses.

...and get that tattoo of his ex-girlfriend's name removed from his inner thigh. Yeah, that was a mistake...

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
It's hard to put the blame on Shottie with the third string QB in there. Still, it wouldn't break my heart to go in a different direction at OC next year.

ShaneFalco

did nothing to earn support in NY, and has done nothing to earn support in STL.

No thanks.