Brian Quick still St. Louis Rams' fourth wide receiver

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
By Chris Wesseling
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000212629/article/brian-quick-still-st-louis-rams-fourth-wide-receiver" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... e-receiver</a>

[nfl]0ap2000000093747[/nfl]

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport informed us a year ago that the St. Louis Rams were "insanely excited" about second-round wide receiver Brian Quick, whom position coach Ray Sherman compared to Terrell Owens. The Rams even had a higher draft grade on Quick than they had on No. 13 overall pick Michael Floyd.

Although Quick essentially was redshirted after struggling to master the playbook, he was expected to ascend to the starting lineup this offseason. That has yet to happen because Quick has an Austin Pettis problem.

Quick is "doing a lot better" and has "stepped up this year," offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said over the weekend, via the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Even with the improvements, Quick is stuck in the fourth receiver role after Pettis' MVP performance in offseason practices.

"Quite honestly, (Pettis) is probably having the best camp of all the skill players," Schottenheimer said via the Rams' official website. "He's a tireless worker, very competitive, can play all the spots which helps and he's having a tremendous spring."

The Rams will enter training camp with Pettis and Chris Givens as the starting outside wide receivers and first-rounder Tavon Austin in the slot. We wouldn't count out Quick just yet, though. While Pettis' role grew down the stretch last season, his yards-per-reception average of 8.7 is damning. The Rams will have to weigh Pettis' reliability against Quick's considerable edge in play-making ability.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I don't necessarily see this as Quick not playing well. I see this as Austin is obviously our slot guy, Givens is obviously our burner, and Pettis is playing really well to be a better Gibson. Quick is still on track, he's just not an inside guy (and never would be) and Pettis as the veteran guy, is stepping up. In a way it's a good thing.

Not worried at all frankly. Quick will do what he was going to do this year.

nighttrain

Legend
bluecoconuts said:
I don't necessarily see this as Quick not playing well. I see this as Austin is obviously our slot guy, Givens is obviously our burner, and Pettis is playing really well to be a better Gibson. Quick is still on track, he's just not an inside guy (and never would be) and Pettis as the veteran guy, is stepping up. In a way it's a good thing.

Not worried at all frankly. Quick will do what he was going to do this year.
:plus1:
train

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Not worried about Quick at all and I'm glad Pettis is performing well. Although I do see Quick getting more snaps by the quarter mark of the season. What's happening in OTA's, in my mind, is an experience thing. Pettis has a whole year in the NFL on Quick, couple that with Quick's slow learning curve and that adds up to Pettis getting more reps. But as Quick becomes more comfortable I see him passing by Pettis....not that I don't want Pettis to be a Ram or any thing....in fact Pettis and Quick both on the field in the redzone could be awe inspiring.

fearsomefour

Legend
A good problem to have. I hope the Rams dont run Cook exclusively out of the TE position. A lot of opportunity to mix and match different abilities with this group of WR. Down in the redzone....Quick and Cook can provide good size targets.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Didn't Tony Softli say Quick was playing lights out during the OTAs? It's too early to judge. Might I add perhaps this is the team using the media to send a msg?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
This could very well be a case of the coaches rewarding AP for his hard work and for mentoring the youngers wrs the way he has. Depth charts before training camp concern me very little. If AP wins the job, so be it. Just means we have good depth at the position as I am pretty sure Quick is going to be player at this level.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think that play showed what I believe we will see out of BQ. And that is an entirely different thing than we will see out of Pettis. I just don't see them having similar skill sets or roles with the Rams.

Pettis is short area burst, come backers, short crossing routes and get open in the end zone when you are in "and goal" situations. He will likely be a move the chains kind of guy.

Quick is a long speed guy with strength and height. He will be used to open up defenses and win that middle distance route. He will be a match-up nightmare for CBs having to play him on the outside. He is just too strong and tall for them.

I guess we'll see if he reaches that potential but the fact that Pettis is doing well this season only bodes well for the team. I don't think it says anything about what we will see from Quick. I agree with Blue in that Quick is going to do what he was going to do - no matter what Pettis does.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
What's the problem here? If both Pettis and Quick are coming on, that only helps our depth and gives Defenses nightmares.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ram Quixote said:
What's the problem here? If both Pettis and Quick are coming on, that only helps our depth and gives Defenses nightmares.

Works for me but I guess that doesn't stir the shit pot as much as making BQ look like a bust because he is still "#4". But you're right of course. There IS no problem here.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I love watching that play Quick made. Fucking punked two whiner bitches on the same play.

Quick's work ethic will determine his success. He already has the tools, not question about that. He's no different than other WRs learning the ropes of the NFL. It takes time for all of them. No surprise at all.

I need to watch that play again,,, maybe 3 more times. :mrgreen:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Selassie I said:
I love watching that play Quick made. Fucking punked two whiner bitches on the same play.

Quick's work ethic will determine his success. He already has the tools, not question about that. He's no different than other WRs learning the ropes of the NFL. It takes time for all of them. No surprise at all.

I need to watch that play again,,, maybe 3 more times. :mrgreen:

Yeah - I wonder if it is short enough to make an animated gif out of. Someone get on that. :sly:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
FRO said:
I guess I'm the only one who is worried about Quick.

I wouldn't say I'm worried. But, I remain uncertain.

I think the situation (him coming from App State) and the proven history of NFL rookie WR's taking time to "get it" tells me he deserves our patience.

But, until he proves it on the field; he remains an unknown (and uncertain). So I get where you are coming from. But, I'm not worried yet.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
FRO thinking he's all alone:

I'm worried about him. I'm worried about all our rookies. I'm just not jumping the gun on any of them. Even if Quick ends the season as our #4 WR I still won't jump the gun. 3rd year on a WR is the point where I start thinking about him being a bust.

I'm more worried about T.J. McDonald than I am about Quick. Quick has skills that he might never learn how to use effectively. I'm not sure T.J. is starting with those advantages.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
FRO said:

It's just not the way I look at it. I'm always worried about our players doing well. I just don't see the big deal that he is supposedly listed as the #4 - especially in that he is coming off of OTAs in shorts and t-shirt.

jap

Legend
Brian had just 11 catches last season. He needs to get into a lot more situations (e.g., 1-on-1, double-teamed, triple-teamed, exploiting the entire route tree, running end-zone fades, etc.) to clearly see where his strengths and weaknesses are. Then he needs time to grow & expand his skills. He may start out as the #4 in TC/pre-season and end up as the #3 by season's end. Or he may emerge as a #3 by next season. Who knows? This young man-child may actually grow to become our #2 or even #1 WR in a year (or two . . . or three).

The main point is that we have a number of viable receiving threats on the team right now so there is no real pressure on Brian ratchet up his game right away. He can ease his way up the depth chart.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
jap wise beyond his years:
Brian had just 11 catches last season. He needs to get into a lot more situations (e.g., 1-on-1, double-teamed, triple-teamed, exploiting the entire route tree, running end-zone fades, etc.) to clearly see where his strengths and weaknesses are. Then he needs time to grow & expand his skills. He may start out as the #4 in TC/pre-season and end up as the #3 by season's end. Or he may emerge as a #3 until next season. Who knows? This young man-child may actually grow to become our #2 or even #1 WR in a year )or two . . . or three).

The main point is that we have a number of viable receiving threats on the team right now so there is no real pressure on Brian ratchet up his game right away. He can ease his way up the depth chart.

jap

Legend
albefree69 said:
jap wise beyond his years:
Brian had just 11 catches last season. He needs to get into a lot more situations (e.g., 1-on-1, double-teamed, triple-teamed, exploiting the entire route tree, running end-zone fades, etc.) to clearly see where his strengths and weaknesses are. Then he needs time to grow & expand his skills. He may start out as the #4 in TC/pre-season and end up as the #3 by season's end. Or he may emerge as a #3 by next season. Who knows? This young man-child may actually grow to become our #2 or even #1 WR in a year (or two . . . or three).

Beyond my years? I'm going to be 55 in a few months. :lol: I have been following the Rams for nearly 50 years---my very first favorite sports team in my favorite sport.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
jap hoping for the wisdom that comes with age:
Beyond my years? I'm going to be 55 in a few months. :lol: I have been following the Rams for nearly 50 years---my very first favorite sports team in my favorite sport.

I'm not holding your youth against you jap. I'm sure you'll improve with a little aging. :sokay:

I was born June 5th, 1951. :whome?: