Brian Quick on the Vincent jackson plan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Quick will be fine. Anybody paying attention could see in the last third of the season he progressed a lot. Routes assignments confidence and he started catching the ball. He was olen a bunch but there's a reason clemons is second string. Rams will draft robinson and with that rock solid run game and bradford back all of our receivers will be good. Austin gonna be a rockstar. People forget we never really saw our whole package together last year. I guess I just have more confidence in them and patience than some others. I would even go so far as to say we will see meaningful contribution from Pead. Ooh well call me an oltimist. Lifes a lot more fun that way.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Quick will be fine. Anybody paying attention could see in the last third of the season he progressed a lot. Routes assignments confidence and he started catching the ball. He was olen a bunch but there's a reason clemons is second string. Rams will draft robinson and with that rock solid run game and bradford back all of our receivers will be good. Austin gonna be a rockstar. People forget we never really saw our whole package together last year. I guess I just have more confidence in them and patience than some others. I would even go so far as to say we will see meaningful contribution from Pead. Ooh well call me an oltimist. Lifes a lot more fun that way.

He also had some nice blocks on plays when others had the ball in their hands.

Last edited:
There are several things the numbers bear out that I think are over looked when trying to assess Quick progress.

Targets per game were on the rise with Bradford (small sample size) but it was there.

7 over the first 3 games, 7 over the second 3 and then an outlier at 6, there's no statistical evidence of a trend.

Throws per game in general went down with the change at QB. Clemens just could not be expected to have the same game plan as Bradford
2 of the last 9 games Quick did not get 1 target. There is no way he was not open the entire game and he was getting PT so it has to be considered that Clemens
was not confident enough to make the throws and instead chose safer throws to protect the ball.

The test for difference in targets per game was not statistically significant, his snaps per game was lower with Sam than Clemens he simply wasn't being targeted less per snap with Clemens as QB than Sam.

This offense is not going to be one where 1 guy gets targeted 10 times a game every week. They want to distribute the ball to multiple players and keep the D guessing. If they throw 30 times a game and run 30 times a game Quick will probably see no more than 5 targets on average. Cook, Austin, Bailey if all four of these guys get 5 a game that is 20. Add in the other TEs and RBs and you are running out of targets quickly.

If they have a good receiver they'll target him, just like every offence in the history of the universe ever. If they target guys who aren't as good just to spread the ball around then they're idiots.

Quick had a couple of jacked up plays everyone remembers where he did not make adjustments to be on the same page as Sam, he was never expected to be a polished WR in 2013. He is not going to be what everyone thinks is the definition of a true #1, neither is anyone else on this team in this offense. The thing is the Rams do not need that kind of WR in this offense to be a winning team.

We don't need it to be a winning team, but offer Sam the trade you can either have Calvin Johnson [can we no longer strike out text?] Alshon Jeffery but you must target him like a number 1 or you can stay with Quick and spread the ball around...well I can't read Sam's mind either.

lockdnram21

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

thank you finally somebody sees what i was seeing

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
What gives me a little confidence with Quick is; he appears to be putting the work in.

Will the light turn on, we hope so. But if not it wasn't from a lack of effort.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Yeah, no proof of anything, be it a negative or positive effect form playing with Clemens or Bradford.
It was a drag that Bradford went down the team was really starting to come together lots of young guys getting reps and learning how to play against the best division in the league. They can still take positive advances away from a bad situation and hope they all are better right out of the gate in 2014

It was a drag that Bradford went down the team was really starting to come together lots of young guys getting reps and learning how to play against the best division in the league. They can still take positive advances away from a bad situation and hope they all are better right out of the gate in 2014

I agree, what I don't agree with is Quick would have been much better with Sam than Clemens.

Alan

Legend
StevenG-BR unable to see the other side of the road:
End of discussion.
That was probably just your way of expressing emphasis but isn't that one of the reasons why we're here? I've been on the other side of this issue ever since we drafted him and I can assure you that "petty jealousy" played no part in forming my opinion. I could care less what any other player did. In addition, no where in your post did you address any of the reasons I was against drafting him. That's OK. That's why we have these discussions. :) I like your views because they show passion and they're well thought out. I don't agree with your viewpoint though.

Even if he turns out to be another Faulk I would still be against using that drafting strategy. Every draft is different but when you go into a draft you either have a drafting strategy or you do everything ad hoc. I prefer a strategy because it's works out more often that drafting like Jerry Jones. You might have to adjust your strategy to changing circumstances but that's like everything else in life. Live, learn and adjust or fail.

I'm a fan of Austin too. :cheers:

Memphis Ram

Legend
A Go-to receiver that consistently separates, wins 1 on 1 coverage, and catches the ball.. When the games on the line and everyone knows the ball is going to him, he can still make the play.

This team does not have a receiver in that mold. Size, measurables are irrelevant when talking about the niches of the wide receiver position - you don't have to be a world track star or a giant to get open and catch the ball

Sounds like Danny Amendola. He didn't seem to make that much of a difference.

Add me to the choir singing "Build a strong Oline and watch how much better everyone else on offense magically looks."

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Add me to the choir singing "Build a strong Oline and watch how much better everyone else on offense magically looks."
The thing of it though is that no one is saying DON'T build a strong offensive line.

No matter who we draft, it seems all but certain that Long and Barksdale will start at the tackles. Our center is also likely already on the roster. So it seems that guard is the weak spot, where we'll draft one and pick up another in FA (possibly Saffold). We just vary on just how to go about that.

I agree that a strong OL will make the receivers look better... a WR who can consistently get open and draws the attention of the best corners away from the other receivers will also make the OL (and QB) look better.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
An exceptional WR might make the QB look better by making plays on 50/50 balls but I don't see how he would make the Oline look better. It still takes time for the WR to get down field and get separation.

It all starts in the trenches and in our division just having good enough players is not going to get is done. Saffold IMO is one of those just good enough guys who it is time to move on from.

Matthews is a plug and play guy who could be part of that base for 10-15 years, Robinson might develop into one of those guys too. The Rams need one of those guys and more.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The thing of it though is that no one is saying DON'T build a strong offensive line.

No matter who we draft, it seems all but certain that Long and Barksdale will start at the tackles. Our center is also likely already on the roster. So it seems that guard is the weak spot, where we'll draft one and pick up another in FA (possibly Saffold). We just vary on just how to go about that.

I agree that a strong OL will make the receivers look better... a WR who can consistently get open and draws the attention of the best corners away from the other receivers will also make the OL (and QB) look better.

You are delving into draft talk now. That said, sorry, I'm not all but certain Barksdale will start at RT. Nor am I convinced that a WR who can consistently get open and draw the attention of the best CBs from other WR will make the OLine look better. Is so, then the Arizona Cardinals Oline must be on par of a junior college squad minus Larry Fitzgerald.

iced

Sounds like Danny Amendola. He didn't seem to make that much of a difference.

well Danny's not a #1...i never said he was and don't consider him to be

Memphis Ram

Legend
well Danny's not a #1...i never said he was and don't consider him to be

No you said:
A Go-to receiver that consistently separates, wins 1 on 1 coverage, and catches the ball.. When the games on the line and everyone knows the ball is going to him, he can still make the play.

This team does not have a receiver in that mold. Size, measurables are irrelevant when talking about the niches of the wide receiver position - you don't have to be a world track star or a giant to get open and catch the ball.

Describes Amendola to me. BTW, I never said that you said or considered Amendola to be a #1 WR.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
You are delving into draft talk now. That said, sorry, I'm not all but certain Barksdale will start at RT. Nor am I convinced that a WR who can consistently get open and draw the attention of the best CBs from other WR will make the OLine look better. Is so, then the Arizona Cardinals Oline must be on par of a junior college squad minus Larry Fitzgerald.
I thought that once building the OL was brought up, we were talking draft. I was simply pointing out that it's not an either/or proposition.

That said, I suppose it's not impossible that Barksdale won't be our RT, but most people around here are high on him, and stats were posted pointing at him as the #21 Tackle overall (Left or Right) last year.

As far as Arizona's O-Line... don't you think they WOULD look worse if he wasn't getting open and Palmer had to hold onto it longer?

Memphis Ram

Legend
I thought that once building the OL was brought up, we were talking draft. I was simply pointing out that it's not an either/or proposition.

That said, I suppose it's not impossible that Barksdale won't be our RT, but most people around here are high on him, and stats were posted pointing at him as the #21 Tackle overall (Left or Right) last year.

As far as Arizona's O-Line... don't you think they WOULD look worse if he wasn't getting open and Palmer had to hold onto it longer?

No. Because he's not the only receiving target on the team and a smart OC can scheme others open if they struggle otherwise.