Brian Quick making progress but still no timetable/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Brian Quick making progress but still no timetable
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-quick-making-progress-but-still-no-timetable

PHOENIX -- The St. Louis Rams had plenty of reasons to re-sign wide receiver Kenny Britt to a two-year contract, not least of which that he's the most productive wideout the team has had since 2008 in terms of receiving yards.

But keeping Britt also helps ensure that the Rams will have at least one of their biggest receiving targets ready to go when training camp opens in July. That's because fellow big receiver Brian Quick is still recovering from a serious shoulder/arm injury.

Quick suffered a torn rotator cuff and separated shoulder in the Rams' October loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. Coach Jeff Fisher has repeatedly described the injury as significant and declined to put any sort of timetable on Quick's return.

Speaking at the owners meetings Wednesday, Fisher offered an update on Quick's status heading toward the start of the offseason conditioning program in April.

"He's coming [along]," Fisher said. "Making progress. It was a very, very difficult early rehab process. It was an extensive, extensive injury. He's starting to see the light now. He's doing good. He's worked hard.”

Quick was on his way to a career-best year and had showed signs of a potential breakthrough in the first six-plus games before the injury. After two disappointing seasons to open his career, Quick had posted career highs in receptions (25), receiving yards (375) and touchdowns (three).

While Fisher points to progress for Quick recently, he remains hesitant to put any sort of definitive timetable on a possible return. The team has privately hoped that Quick would be ready in time for training camp in July, but Fisher says those hopes will have to wait to see what transpires in Quick's rehab leading up to that time.

"There will be some question marks there," Fisher said. "He may be. I can't say. The next three or four months are going to be important.”

In other words, it's probably safe to expect Quick to not be available during OTAs and continue working toward training camp. For the Rams and Quick, the sooner he can return the better. The 2015 season is the last year of Quick's rookie deal.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think if a WR is available at 10 we take him and really let Quick rehab properly. That's one of Fishers strong suits. He doesn't bring guys back too quick.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
July is how many months away? Three+ months is quite a bit of time. Maybe hold off on an article like this until a month or so before. Not a quarter year. He still has quite a bit of time to heal up.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'm just gonna leave that right there.
come on X,,,, that was in 6 games. Doing that mythical "projected stats" thing we all like to do, I think most in here who had so many doubts about Brian Quick would have been more than satisfied with:

55 catches 800 yards and 7 TDs which is what it would have projected out to be had he played a full 16 games at that pace.

I know its foolish to make those sort of projections, but I'm just saying!!!!!

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
come on X,,,, that was in less than 6 games. Doing that mythical "projected stats" thing we all like to do, I think most in here who had so many doubts about Brian Quick would have been more than satisfied with:

55 catches 800 yards and 7 TDs which is what it would have projected out to be had he played a full 16 games at that pace.

All I'm saying is, after 3 years, those were his career highs. I have no doubts that he would have ended up with semi-respectable numbers, but the stat-line I quoted as career-highs are far and away removed from what this team should have as a primary receiving threat. And his shoulder was destroyed. Not injured, but destroyed. Fisher described it as "everything that could have gone wrong with it, did (paraphrasing)". Can he come back and pick up where he left off? Remains to be seen. I wouldn't bank on it, and that's why I'd take a receiver in the first round.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I understand and don't disagree with you, and this is coming from arguably the biggest Brian Quick guy on this forum. Have been from day one.

The one thing that gives me reason to be optimistic, is most of the issues that slowed his progress were on the mental side of his game. He seems to have conquered those demons, so the only thing that will deter him from picking up where he left off will be his rehab.

lockdnram21

Legend
I still don't think we draft receiver in First round. 2nd or 3rd but not first. Especially cause cooper or White want be there at 10. Also Bailey was coming on to so take that into account

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually it was 6 full and part of another...he got hurt in the 7th game of the season (KC). Still pretty darn good.
Agreed. He was well on his way too 750-800 with Davis throwing to him. And Britt could've gotten 1,000 if not for Davis and hill. We could have a nice duo

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think Quick can be very good. He's shown progress every year, and deserves some faith on that.

But that shoulder injury worries me. Sounds pretty serious for something that didn't look so bad when it happened.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
I think Quick can be very good. He's shown progress every year, and deserves some faith on that.

But that shoulder injury worries me. Sounds pretty serious for something that didn't look so bad when it happened.
Exactly what I was thinking, and will he be afraid to lay out on some throws now.

Athos

Legend
He may never have the same strength in that shoulder again is he really did mangle everything one can mangle in a shoulder. That means catch strength, battling DBs off strength, laying out for passes strength.

Plus having one year left on his deal.

If Cooper or White is there, draft them. If DGB is available in the 2nd with a trade down in the 1st, take him.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I didn't like the descriptions of his injury when it happened. It sounded extremely serious.
Could be a tough one to get back to normal.

jap

Legend
come on X,,,, that was in 6 games. Doing that mythical "projected stats" thing we all like to do, I think most in here who had so many doubts about Brian Quick would have been more than satisfied with:

. . . and that projection is based on two QB's who couldn't get the ball downfield with any kind of real consistency.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly what I was thinking, and will he be afraid to lay out on some throws now.
I share that concern too.

I think it is too early to make projections on his possible return date. So, there's that.

But, whenever he does return, there might always be that nagging worry in his head about re-injuring it.

If it were a fairly benign injury, I would worry too much.

But this was a significant injury. I'd think it would be hard for him to not be concerned when he gets back in the heat of the battle.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think if a WR is available at 10 we take him and really let Quick rehab properly. That's one of Fishers strong suits. He doesn't bring guys back too quick.
A few 'prognosticators' have Both White and Parker their for us, and then there is Green-Beckham! We could trade down and still get one of two of those!