Brian Feldman Camp Report (KMOV)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Brian Feldman / FootballStL
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.kmov.com/sports/Feldman-Hyped-offense-on-display-at-Rams-Park-217037991.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.kmov.com/sports/Feldman-Hype ... 37991.html</a>

Day one of Rams training camp is in the books and if there is one thing I noticed by being out there, it’s that this offense is certainly capable of living up to some of the insane expectations put forth by fans and the media.

Fans exploded every time first round draft pick Tavon Austin touched the ball. Fans went nuts for third rounder Stedman Bailey. They know there’s as much speed here since the Greatest Show on Turf days. They won’t be that good, obviously, but this city hasn’t seen this much speed since then.

I loved the quickness I saw out of Austin and how he’s able to stop on a dime and change directions. That’s going to be an invaluable tool for him as he makes the adjustment to the NFL. With him in the slot - where he was lining up almost exclusively - and Chris Givens on the outside and Jared Cook moving all around, the Rams defense is already having problems staying with these guys.

Cortland Finnegan was burned by Austin one play. Rookie T.J. McDonald got torched by Bailey on another. If these practices early on in training camp are any indication offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer plans on opening up the playbook and letting loose with these weapons.

Sam Bradford told me he hasn’t seen this much speed in a long time and is just salivating over the possibilities.

Some other quick notes and observations from being out at Rams Park today:

· Daryl Richardson lined up with the first team at running back. Jeff Fisher said after practice that there may not be a typical “bell cow” running back that gets all of the carries and it could end up getting split between multiple people. For now, it’s simply a competition to replace Steven Jackson among Richardson, last year’s second round pick Isaiah Pead, this year’s fifth rounder Zac Stacy along with holdover Terence Ganaway.

· Rookie T.J. McDonald is running with the starters at safety alongside Darian Stewart. McDonald is coming off a down year at USC but the Rams staff really wanted him in the draft. Fisher said they were sweating out his fall to them in the third round, praying no other team would select him. So far, he’s looked solid with the exception of getting burned by Bailey on one particular deep ball.

· Alec Ogletree is currently the starting outside linebacker alongside James Laurinaitis and Jo-Lonn Dunbar. Laurinaitis told me Ogletree is going to be a terrific player and is like a sponge right now just soaking in all the information that he can. He says he’s very quiet and respectful. But he’s sure the first round pick will be a force in the long run with the Rams.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
That bit on Ogletree is exactly what you want to hear.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
DR RAM said:
That bit on Ogletree is exactly what you want to hear.

Amen. I have a feeling his impact on defense will be similar to the one Austin has on offense. His speed and power are some things that defense sorely needed as well.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm glad Ogletree has "character issues." We woulda never got him if he didn't. Thing is I don't think he really does at all. He does strike me as quiet and respectful, if not a little shy. He was in with a crowd that was doing the wrong thing. He's not in that crowd anymore. He's in the company of Long, Animal, Finnegan... you get the drift. Getting Ogletree at 30 was highway robbery. What a steal he will prove to be!

Boy! Seems every year the Rams offense doesn't spread the field until later in TC. This is a big sign of confidence from the coaching staff. This is what you want to see! Man

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
mr.stlouis said:
I'm glad Ogletree has "character issues." We woulda never got him if he didn't.
This is true...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
While Austin gets all the attention, and rightfully so, I love the potential impact of Ogletree just as well.

Coach Venturi said it best on 101 earlier this week; the game in the NFC west is going to the middle of the field. Harvin, Boldin, even potentially Fitzgerald. A guy like Ogletree that can excel in coverage and chase down Kaeperdick and Wilson will be HUGE!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Bradfordthrowingday2.jpg

(FootballStL) - Despite some afternoon showers on Day 2 of training camp, the Rams still practiced outdoors.
New Tight End Jared Cook is an imposing presence when he lines up in the slot. Standing at six foot five inches tall and weighing 248 pounds, Cook displays great speed for a man of his size. He also catches the ball away from his body extremely well.

Top draft pick Tavon Austin was targeted by Sam Bradford on a number of plays in the red zone drills.

Backup quarterback Kellen Clemens received the majority of reps at quarterback for the second half of practice.
The catch of the day was made by rookie wide receiver and Lindenwood University alumnus Andrew Helmick, who made a one-handed circus catch in the corner of the end zone during red zone drills.

After practice, Coach Jeff Fisher was pleased with the defense.

"They're not making a lot of mistakes. The defense made a lot of plays. So far, so good. "

Practice ended on a light note when Cortland Finnegan received a plate of whip cream to the face courtesy of teammates Chris Long, William Hayes and Trumaine Johnson.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.kmov.com/sports/Rams-Camp-Notes-Day-2-217185121.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.kmov.com/sports/Rams-Camp-No ... 85121.html</a>