Brett Favre: "What's the nickel defense?"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Watching him play was definitely an eye catcher... you could just see his great arm and swagger even back then when he was basically a no name in the NFL. Thank God the falcons didn't hold onto him. Those dumbasses LOL.

Players slip through the cracks sometimes. The entire NFL never saw the talent of Kurt Warner so he went undrafted. Warner tried out for the Packers who had Favre, Brunell, and Detmer as their QB's. Mike Holmgren and and Andy Reid were on their staff at the time. Warner was released and the rest is history. It goes to show the importance of a solid scouting staff.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Who cares.... He is still.

d1dcf0ec361d8168360f11da314ec983bdb8a6568f1d6994069de6426faaf7b2.jpg

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Well, if Favre didn't know the nickel and dime than I have to forgive GOffer for the sun rising thing ;)

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Thanks for sharing those nice memories!!(y) I would love to have had a long discussion with Slater, he one smart player!!

He was very nice.

Got to meet Kevin Greene at that one too. Not so nice. He wouldn't give any of the fans the time of day at all. I tricked him though and got to talk with him anyway. I used my girlfriend as bait out by the buses after the game. I had her standing out there by herself and she was screaming for Kevin. He was totally ignoring all of the fanatics out there... but when he saw my girlfriend... he bee-lined over and was more than happy to come right up to her and talk. LOL... That's when she tells him that her boyfriend is just dying to meet you,,, and she waves me over. I came over... he shook my hand... and I told him that I knew he'd take the "bait". We laughed out loud about it... and then he ignored everyone else on his way into the bus.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Players slip through the cracks sometimes. The entire NFL never saw the talent of Kurt Warner so he went undrafted. Warner tried out for the Packers who had Favre, Brunell, and Detmer as their QB's. Mike Holmgren and and Andy Reid were on their staff at the time. Warner was released and the rest is history. It goes to show the importance of a solid scouting staff.

Great examples!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He was very nice.

Got to meet Kevin Greene at that one too. Not so nice. He wouldn't give any of the fans the time of day at all. I tricked him though and got to talk with him anyway. I used my girlfriend as bait out by the buses after the game. I had her standing out there by herself and she was screaming for Kevin. He was totally ignoring all of the fanatics out there... but when he saw my girlfriend... he bee-lined over and was more than happy to come right up to her and talk. LOL... That's when she tells him that her boyfriend is just dying to meet you,,, and she waves me over. I came over... he shook my hand... and I told him that I knew he'd take the "bait". We laughed out loud about it... and then he ignored everyone else on his way into the bus.
Very funny story!!(y):rolllaugh:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://thebiglead.com/2017/06/09/ty...-really-didnt-know-what-a-nickel-defense-was/

Ty Detmer Confirms The Unthinkable: Brett Favre Really Didn't Know What A Nickel Defense Was
By: Tully Corcoran

This week, it came to our attention that early in his career, Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre had to ask Ty Detmer what a nickel defense was. Initially I assumed Favre was joking, that he was recounting a time he pretended not to know a basic football thing as a way of playing a practical joke on a teammate.

But I just couldn’t tell, and I had to know. So who better to ask than Ty Detmer, now the offensive coordinator at BYU? Thursday afternoon Detmer called me back, so I told him the same thing I just told you.

“He didn’t know,” Detmer said. “He was sincere in asking.”

Detmer said this happened his second year in the NFL, which was 1993. This matches what Favre said. I asked Detmer if he could tell right away Favre was serious. (In case you don’t know, a nickel defense is one in which a linebacker has been replaced by a defensive back).

“I could tell,” he said. “Because it was during a serious part of the meeting. This wasn’t jacking around in the locker room, and throwing it out there. I did kinda question it, you know, ‘Are you serious?’ You could tell he was, I just figured I’d better double-check it.”

Detmer said he’s never otherwise encountered a person who was that good at football, yet was so unaware of some of its basic mechanics.

“It was the first time I’d been around anybody that just kind of winged it,” Detmer said. “You could tell the first year he got to play, first year in Green Bay, Don Majkowski was the starter and (Favre) goes in, and he wasn’t great at remembering the formations.

Back then we didn’t have the coach-and-quarterback helmet. We had to memorize all the formations, and we would signal in the play. You had to know the formation for that play that week, and they changed it every week.

You knew he didn’t really have a great grasp on the formations and didn’t really study them as hard as they needed to be studied to be able to call them every week. He was a genuine guy that loved playing the game, but didn’t really put a ton of time into it.”

It was in stark contrast to another Hall of Famer Detmer played with, Steve Young.

“I played with Steve Young later, and he was the total opposite,” Detmer said. ‘He knew every play, every formation, every protection, everything. Just two opposites, but highly successful in how they played the game. It was kinda fun to see the difference.”

As for an explanation of how somebody could make it from Pee Wee football to the NFL without knowing something so elementary, Detmer figures it just somehow slipped through the cracks because it never made much difference.

“I knew his dad was a coach and all those things, so you just kind of figure,” Detmer said. “It was probably one of those things you hear all the time, but you never heard anybody explain it, you know? I tell people all the time, ‘Sometimes ignorance is bliss.’ Like he says in the story, ‘Who cares about that?’ He’s right. It’s the same position, it’s just a smaller, faster guy, so does it really matter?”

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
I remember last season Dak had not thrown a single interception until the Green Gay game.... after he shook Brett Favre's hand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Favre is a straight badass. One of the few fudge Packers I'd actually like to have a beer with. I love to see QBs who know how to be one of the dudes, and who can lead like that off the field.

Brash is good too. Sending pics of his junk to chicks he barely knows though, well, we all have our drawbacks right?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
:snicker:
I think he's giving those listening a glimpse inside the head of a kickass QB. He even says that the guy that is brought in for Nickel is many times a more talented player than the one he's replacing. It doesn't really matter if he knows the name given to that particular defensive line-up. Call it whatever you want.... it's still football.

The QB is sizing up the defenders on every single play pre-snap. There's gonna be 11 of them every single time. It's more important to know who you're going to try and beat on the field than it is to know the name somebody wants to give the defense on paper.

That freaker could ball out.
OK! I'll agree when Favre was good, he was good! But, when he was Bad he was Bad! And I'm not just referring to his first few years! I seem to remember a game against the Rams when he was Sacked 6 Times!?! or was it He was intercepted 6 Times!?! ( I'll have to check!!) But he got beat up bad!!(y):snicker::shades:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
@Selassie I, I just found the game I was referring to, It was Jan 20, 2002 the Rams Beat Favre 45-14! Favre went 26 of 44 for 281 Yards/ 2 TD's 6 INT's and sacked 2 Times! He had a comp rate of 53.5!
By comparison Warner that day went 18 of 30 for 216 Yards / 2 TD's 1 INT. and was sacked 2 times BUT he had a 90.4 comp rate!
And if anyone is wondering the Rams are 45-45-4 Life Time against the packers!

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
I think he's giving those listening a glimpse inside the head of a kickass QB. He even says that the guy that is brought in for Nickel is many times a more talented player than the one he's replacing. It doesn't really matter if he knows the name given to that particular defensive line-up. Call it whatever you want.... it's still football.

The QB is sizing up the defenders on every single play pre-snap. There's gonna be 11 of them every single time. It's more important to know who you're going to try and beat on the field than it is to know the name somebody wants to give the defense on paper.

That freaker could ball out.

He could also suck it up and he costs his teams a lot of games because of blindly throwing the football up. He was incredibly talented but not that bright.

Career INTs

INTs per season

Seasons with more than 20 INTs

# of seasons with more INTs than TDs

# of seasons with completion % under 60%
----------------------------------------------------------------
Favre is the all-time INT leader with 336. If you take away his last 3 seasons, he's still the all-time leader. He regularly made poor decisions with the football and put his receivers at risk, something Greg Jennings mentioned. Now just to compare him with some other all-time great QB's from his generation:

Career INTs
Favre- 336
Marino- 252
Elway- 226
Manning- 198
Aikman- 141
Montana- 139
Brady- 115
Young- 107

INTs per season
Favre- 16.8
Manning- 15.2
Marino- 14.8
Elway- 14.1
Aikman- 11.8
Brady- 10.5
Montana- 8.7
Young- 7.1

Pass attempts per INT
Brady- 46.3
Montana- 38.8
Young- 38.8
Manning- 36.4
Aikman- 33.4
Marino- 33.2
Elway- 32.1
Favre- 30.3

Seasons with more than 20 INTs
Favre- 6
Marino- 4
Manning- 2
Elway- 1
Aikman- 0
Montana- 0
Brady- 0
Young- 0

# of seasons with more INTs than TDs
Favre- 4
Elway- 4
Aikman- 4
Marino- 1
Manning- 1
Young- 1
Montana- 0
Brady- 0

# of seasons with completion % under 60%
Elway- 12
Marino- 12
Aikman- 6
Favre- 5
Young- 2
Montana- 2
Manning- 1
Brady- 0

Deadstock

Digital Designer
Name
Deadstock
this is hilarious but despite Favre not knowing the lineups, he still knew how to see the field and that's where his talent came from. He might not know what the defensive lineup was, but he still knew who was going to be open and knew how to extend the play.