Breshad Perriman wows scouts with 4.25-second 40-yard dash

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Breshad Perriman wows scouts with 4.25-second 40-yard dash
  • 0ap1000000217559.jpg
  • By Chase Goodbread
  • College Football 24/7 writer
  • Published: March 25, 2015 at 03:31 p.m.
  • Updated: March 25, 2015 at 07:16 p.m.
Breshad Perriman might not have ascended draft boards as quickly as he ran 40 yards Wednesday, but it might not have taken much longer.

The Central Florida wide receiver's 40-yard dash was clocked at 4.25 seconds by NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock. Other times recorded by NFL scouts on hand ranged between 4.19 and 4.27, according to NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt. Any of those would have been the best overall time at this year's NFL Scouting Combine had he run for the same result in Indianapolis last month. Anything under 4.4 is a stunningly fast clocking for a player of Perriman's size; he is 6-foot-2, 212 pounds.

The fastest 40-yard dash in combine history is 4.24 seconds by Chris Johnson in 2008. As with all official times at the combine, Johnson's 40 was electronically timed. Pro day 40s are timed by hand, which are substantially faster than electronic times.

NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt pegged the son of former Detroit Lions receiver Brett Perriman as a rising prospect about six weeks ago, before the NFLScouting Combine. Perriman is also tied for fifth in Mayock's ranking of this year's wide receivers.

As it turned out, it might have been a blessing for Perriman that a hamstring injury precluded him from working out at the combine in Indianapolis. Now, his only 40-yard dash showing for NFL scouts is the Wednesday clocking they won't soon forget. So while scouts might choose to rely more heavily on the slower times from Indianapolis by prospects who made vast improvements on their pro days, they won't have any such slower time to fall back on with Perriman.

The deepest position in the 2015 NFL Draft just got a little tighter at the top of the class.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...rriman-wows-scouts-with-425second-40yard-dash

Ltrautman

MIZ
With the fourth overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft the Oakland Raiders select.... Breshad Perriman, Sprinter, UCF

Athos

Legend
You beat me to the punch.

4.26 at 6'3 212 is freakish.

I don't know anything about him though.

With the fourth overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft the Oakland Raiders select.... Breshad Perriman, Sprinter, UCF

DHB part two? :ROFLMAO:

NFL.com has his comparison as Kenny Britt.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think someone checked out on video and found that he ran a 4.36.

Regardless, very fast. Perriman is a talented guy but he really needs to land in the right scheme because he has some flaws in his game. Personally, I think Minnesota makes the most sense for him scheme-wise but #11 is too high for him imo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
NFL.com has his comparison as Kenny Britt.

That's who I compared him to in the past. Very athletic and very dangerous as a deep threat but has limitations as a route runner and drops a lot of passes he shouldn't...but also makes some acrobatic catches. Very physical player after the catch...runs like a HB.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He's very talented, but didn't come out of nowhere. He's been in the conversation for this year's overall WR depth, and big talent.

iced

Regardless, very fast. Perriman is a talented guy but he really needs to land in the right scheme because he has some flaws in his game. Personally, I think Minnesota makes the most sense for him scheme-wise but #11 is too high for him imo.

i think eagles are the best fit for him right now imo

vikings just got wallace

edit: after just watching his highlights, there's no way in hell i believe he's under 4.3

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW0qBVVND-U

he doesn't have that real speed/"extra gear" that tavon does

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
i think eagles are the best fit for him right now imo

vikings just got wallace

edit: after just watching his highlights, there's no way in hell i believe he's under 4.3

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW0qBVVND-U

he doesn't have that real speed/"extra gear" that tavon does

That is a good display of some of the great catches I have seen him make.

In the offseason leading up to the draft, trainers make these guys run faster than they did before. I believe he ran it. I think he is a guy who plays as fast as he feels he needs to and no more.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I'd take him in round 2 for the Rams if they already get an Olinemen. Foles liked connecting to Riley Cooper deep. Having another Britt wouldn't hurt, especially seeing as they are not sure Quick will be back.

But I do understand why you would prefer Cooper for the Rams offense. The closest thing they have to Cooper or Stedman.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
WOW Great speed! But one question, Scout.com has is height at 6 ft 11/2, this article says he's 6ft 2, and its been said here he is 6ft 3. So what is it? It makes a difference to me when comparing him to other WR's!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
WOW Great speed! But one question, Scout.com has is height at 6 ft 11/2, this article says he's 6ft 2, and its been said here he is 6ft 3. So what is it? It makes a difference to me when comparing him to other WR's!

According to NFLDS, he's 6'2" on the dot.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seems like he could be a good target player for the second round if we don't get cooper or white, what round do you guys think DGB will last

FrankenRam

Starter
I should start this by saying...."Don't shoot the messenger!" :)

Was listening to Dari & Mel on ESPN radio a little bit ago and they were talking about various suspects who are rising or falling in the upcoming draft. And Kiper mentioned Perriman as one suspect who is rapidly rising up draft boards......"and maybe into the top 10.....to maybe....the St. Louis Rams." That's probably not a verbatim quote, but pretty close. And I had the impression it wasn't Kiper saying he thought that would occur, but rather there is a lot of buzz surrounding the kid and something like that could a possibility.

Ok, the next 20 posters are free to say what a jerkwad Kiper is and how he knows nothing...yada, yada, yada.

Athos

Legend
Ok, the next 20 posters are free to say what a jerkwad Kiper is and how he knows nothing...yada, yada, yada.

Not a jerkwad. More like a numbnuts. Or a wanker. Or really, really bad at predicted where guys actually end up.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I should start this by saying...."Don't shoot the messenger!" :)

Was listening to Dari & Mel on ESPN radio a little bit ago and they were talking about various suspects who are rising or falling in the upcoming draft. And Kiper mentioned Perriman as one suspect who is rapidly rising up draft boards......"and maybe into the top 10.....to maybe....the St. Louis Rams." That's probably not a verbatim quote, but pretty close. And I had the impression it wasn't Kiper saying he thought that would occur, but rather there is a lot of buzz surrounding the kid and something like that could a possibility.

I agree with Kiper.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
What scares me about Perriman is his concentration drops. You'll see him make an insane catch on one play and then drop an easy catch on the very next down. I see the Kenny Britt/Dwayne Bowe comparison. Mel Kiper on his radio show suggested he cemented himself as a top 20 player and went on to suggest the Rams is a possibility at 10. I'm pretty sure that has a 0.4% chance of happening.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea, it's hard for me to advocate for Perriman. I don't see him as a scheme fit. I'd rather have Parker than Perriman (assuming the top two are gone).

The issues with Perriman are that you can't trust his hands (IMO, he struggles tracking the football) and he's a poor route runner with flexibility issues (will make it very difficult for him to be an effective route runner).

I've compared him to Kenny Britt before and I stand by that. Issue is that we already have Kenny Britt and it doesn't make sense to have two guys for the same role. Especially considering Perriman's limitations.