Breaking News: Schiano discovers new late-game strategy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
X said:
I don't have a problem with what the Bucs did. I hear a lot of people say that it'll result in an injury, but that would be the fault of the offensive linemen if it did. Not anything the defense was doing. When you see a defense lining up low like they're going to explode off the line, then it's your DUTY as an offensive lineman to get down low to prepare for it. Treat it like any other short-yardage situation.

Who is the offense to dictate when the game is over?

Nah, I actually like what they did.

Amen to that, you can't be sucker punched if you aint a sucker .

The gentlemens agreement to accept kneeldowns is complacency.

And this bullshit meme about wait till they hurt Bradford is the essence of attempting to make what we are trying to evaluate objectively a subjective analysis which BY DEFINITION dictates Caughlins POV.

Nah, Schiano only gets hammered here cuz it didn't work,if it had won the game for him , Caughlin would be the goat for not having his o-line protect his QB.
Hell if it had just resulted in a recovery and a facemask tackle with TB getting one more play Caughlin would still have looked stupid when he cried about it.

Next week we'll have a new faux outrage issue :cool:

But we still have the refs. we can all one up one another about how bad they are, feeding frenzies :roll:

Dochal

UDFA
X said:
Dochal said:
X said:
I don't have a problem with what the Bucs did. I hear a lot of people say that it'll result in an injury, but that would be the fault of the offensive linemen if it did. Not anything the defense was doing. When you see a defense lining up low like they're going to explode off the line, then it's your DUTY as an offensive lineman to get down low to prepare for it. Treat it like any other short-yardage situation.

Who is the offense to dictate when the game is over?

Nah, I actually like what they did.

X, as one who would qualify on a certain other board that shall remain nameless as one of your "minions," I must respectfully disagree. I have a problem with what Schiano did because he was breaking one of the game's unwritten conventions and also because I can't stand him. He was being petulant for the reason cited by other posters, pure and simple. I watched enough Rutgers football to know that such a move was NEVER a part of his repertoire there, so there was no matter of coaching style or philosophy at play here. Granted, the Giants should have prepared themselves when they recognized what was going on, but was Schiano did was straight from the bush leagues.

Did I mention that I can't stand the guy?
That's cool, Doc. I agree it's unconventional, and maybe it had the undertones of douchebaggery to it, but I dunno. It just didn't bother me. Maybe if Pete Carrol did it, I'd see it in a different light though. lol. Then again, if Fisher did it, how would I feel about it? I guess a lot of it hinges on who the hell does it, yeah?

I was mainly responding to the idea that people are saying it will cause injuries. I don't agree with that. I mean, yeah. Sure it's possible. But that would be the fault of the O-line that didn't recognize that the defense is lining up to bring the heat. That's a very familiar formation they witnessed, and you just gotta prepare for it.

Now that we're talking about it though, what do you think his motivation was? Just to be a douche? Or do you think that he was doing everything in his power to make sure he tried everything he could to pull out a win? Or is he just someone who refuses to let someone tell him what to do? Meaning, the offense isn't going to tell HIM when the game is over (that kinda thing).

Shortly after making that post I read an article on NFL.com about Schiano being perceived as a "bully" when having to deal with NFL types during his days at Rutgers. That, to me, is a polite way of saying that he was an arrogant a--hole. So, I am spitballing that Greggie is showing his contempt for the league and its conventions just because, well, he is who he is. Honestly, I believe winning was secondary for him in that moment. I would bet a month's worth of retirement benefits that he was frosted at being beaten by New Jersey's real big guys, something he had always tried to be at Rutgers and only glimpsed for a brief moment while there. He acted like a spoiled brat, not a competitor. Some people like that and believe it shows a certain admirable attitude. I can say that none of the greats of coaching that I ever observed...like Lombardi, Landry, Grant, Paul Brown, Joe Gibbs, Walsh...would have EVER resorted to Schiano's stupid behavior. So there is something other than competitiveness at play here, because those men were unexcelled in their competitive nature...

One thing my experience has taught me is that if someone has done something that many others feel is unacceptable, the first explanation you get for the unacceptable behavior is rarely the actual truth...

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
WJW

OK lets whack Gregg Schiano's cahones off freeze dry and powder them to be sent to the rest of the NFL HC's .Obvious to me we've most all become accepting of nutless coaching and when someone deviates from the norm he must be beaten down till he accepts the group think.

SEE WHAT my experience has taught me is that when a group think opinion gets adopted it is the last thing I want to think.

Tom Caughlin and RG three year old need to be on the same team.

BTW Micheal Lombardi said this AM on the NFL Network show "First on the Field" that Tennessee is acquiring the reputation as the "softest team in the league"............missing Cortland Finnegan?

RAISE your hand if you ( like me) would be happy to throw in $10 to help pay Janoris Jenkins fine,I don't want him to quit being willing to deliver that sort of hit, in the course of football you get into a LOT of situations where you have to make a decision because of where you are in proximity to another player ,either you deliver a hit , absorb a hit, or avoid contact ,IMO Jenkins did the right thing for himself and his team ,if he'd matadored we might have lost that game, no,NO doubt the pass would have been completed , if he'd absorbed the hit he might have been hurt.

NFL
No Fucking Limpwrists

AND OBTW ,the way the fines cow defensive players into letting the wrong thing for themselves and their teams happen in those situations is a lot of why guys like Greg Williams start bounty systems, to reverse the effects.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Thordaddy said:
WJW

OK lets whack Gregg Schiano's cahones off freeze dry and powder them to be sent to the rest of the NFL HC's .Obvious to me we've most all become accepting of nutless coaching and when someone deviates from the norm he must be beaten down till he accepts the group think.

SEE WHAT my experience has taught me is that when a group think opinion gets adopted it is the last thing I want to think.

BTW Micheal Lombardi said this AM on the NFL Network show "First on the Field" that Tennessee is acquiring the reputation as the "softest team in the league"............missing Cortland Finnegan?

RAISE your hand if you ( like me) would be happy to throw in $10 to help pay Janoris Jenkins fine,I don't want him to quit being willing to deliver that sort of hit, in the course of football you get into a LOT of situations where you have to make a decision because of where you are in proximity to another player ,either you deliver a hit , absorb a hit, or avoid contact ,IMO Jenkins did the right thing for himself and his team ,if he'd matadored we might have lost that game, no,NO doubt the pass would have been completed , if he'd absorbed the hit he might have been hurt.

NFL
No Fucking Limpwrists

AND OBTW ,the way the fines cow defensive players into letting the wrong thing for themselves and their teams happen in those situations is a lot of why guys like Greg Williams start bounty systems, to reverse the effects.

This has absolutely nothing to do with being soft.

It's about the observance of a unwritten rule.

Would you ask your best friend girl out after they broke up?

Thats an unwritten rule guys observe just about universally. Its understood and assumed that you wouldnt. Same thing with what Schiano did. It was understood and assumed that the Bucs would concede the snap. He had 59 minutes and 55 seconds to win the game. No matter what happened on that snap they were not going to win. Even if its fumbled, the clock runs out before they can get their offense on the field.

Speeps

Starter
I have no problem with Schiano's tactics. I coach my youth basketball team to play until the clock say 0:00. Just because the opponent may think the game is over, doesn't mean the game is over.

Schiano's team has a history of making things happen in some unlikely situation. With his track record, it makes sense for him to do what he did. It's not impossible that a snap can be fumbled on kneel down. Just ask Phillip Rivers.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
libertadrocks said:
Thordaddy said:
WJW

NFL
No Fucking Limpwrists

Thats an unwritten rule guys observe just about universally. Its understood and assumed that you wouldnt. Same thing with what Schiano did. It was understood and assumed that the Bucs would concede the snap. He had 59 minutes and 55 seconds to win the game. No matter what happened on that snap they were not going to win. Even if its fumbled, the clock runs out before they can get their offense on the field.
That's a good point too.

And you haven't seen my best friend's girl. I can't WAIT until they break up. :lmao: (j/k)

I can see both sides of this issue, personally. But ... it just doesn't bother me for some reason.
You know what bothered me more? When Harbaugh faked having Crabtree walk off the sidelines during that field goal and then trotted his baby ass back on at the last second for that TD against us. That, I thought, was bush-league. Even though perfectly legal, I thought it was a shitty thing to do.

Look at it.

LOOK AT IT.

[flv]http://deadspin.a.ec.viddler.com/deadspin_t4z4dj5mmldw178krrxmbsith1xx2k.flv?fd9f2a1c14aadf1069f046c167f41e2b360f1178af15bbf77dab59f094067f51e2410c7ba165952c9b827fbaa24b9a790fe626ad25c1631ae3f58095270372554dd1015f4bac378ba7a8&ec_rate=231&ec_prebuf=10[/flv]

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
libertadrocks said:
Thordaddy said:
WJW

NFL
No Fucking Limpwrists

First the defense can advance a fumble there so you don't HAVE to even run an offensive play(see Miracle inthe Meadowlands).
And my best friends girlfriends routinely ask me out.
To quote Yogi Berra ,"when you come to an unwritten contract in the road, wipe your ass with the paper it's written on wash your hands and make me a cheese sandwich"

Here in Yodanheim we have a saying, "if lightning strikes my dog, musta been TFT".
IF ELI Manning had been hurt on that play,IF I were his coach I'd have ripped his line, the lord takes care of them what takes care of themselves, I applaud Schiano refussing to accept the ass whoppin ,IT AIN"T Tampas job to take it,hell the Arena League doesn't even allow that damned play, cuz it's not why you watch the game, sixty minute of what Eli was doin vs 60 minutes of what Tampa Bay was doin I'll take option B.

Schiano is gonna make enemies out there like that NO DOUBT, but the nice guys get co-ordinators jobs after they are fired, ask Steve Spagniceguy. :shock:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
libertadrocks said:
Thordaddy said:
WJW

NFL
No freaking Limpwrists

Well, IF the fumble is quickly recovered before time runs out, the clock stops on the change of possession.

X, the video gave me an "access denied" message.

And yeah, that play's only reason for being, at that time of the season, was to make the opponent look bad. It had to be reviewed for one thing, since Crabtree had been in the huddle before walking to the sideline.

Schiano's call? IDK. I'd always wondered why the kneel-down was allowed in such a violent game. Victory formation and all that, it has always seemed anticlimactic to me.

Does the batter in a blow-out allow himself to be called out on a lobbed strike three?

Does the loser in hockey let the winner control the puck in the final seconds uncontested?

For all the exciting play in a football game, the kneel-down is an insult to the competitive spirit (yeah, there's still a minute on the clock but you can't stop it so why should we play another meaningful down?). Again, I can't say what Schiano did against the kneel-down was right, but it sure would add some doubt to it. I don't find the injury argument compelling, either.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Ram Quixote said:
libertadrocks said:
Thordaddy said:
WJW

NFL
No freaking Limpwrists

Well, IF the fumble is quickly recovered before time runs out, the clock stops on the change of possession.

And yeah, that play's only reason for being, at that time of the season, was to make the opponent look bad. It had to be reviewed for one thing, since Crabtree had been in the huddle before walking to the sideline.

Schiano's call? IDK. I'd always wondered why the kneel-down was allowed in such a violent game. Victory formation and all that, it has always seemed anticlimactic to me.

Does the batter in a blow-out allow himself to be called out on a lobbed strike three?

Does the loser in hockey let the winner control the puck in the final seconds uncontested?

For all the exciting play in a football game, the kneel-down is an insult to the competitive spirit (yeah, there's still a minute on the clock but you can't stop it so why should we play another meaningful down?). Again, I can't say what Schiano did against the kneel-down was right, but it sure would add some doubt to it. I don't find the injury argument compelling, either.
Not to mention IF the Gints grab a facemask and they are the ruled to be the defense and thereby the game can not end ona defensive foul.
Lots of scenarios where it could have turned the game, slim chance acknowledged, but if Schiano doesn't whine about stuff down the road I see no reason to disrespect the guy.

JMO but Caughlin was as embarrased as he was pissed.

OBTW I AMM A Caughlin fan,heza heluva coach, we just ddon't see eye to eye on this.
Harbaugh.....that was just wrong, but I ain't complaining our day will come to rub his arrogant little nose in the dirt and that f-ing play will make that day ALL the sweeter.

Dochal

UDFA
Ram Quixote said:
libertadrocks said:
Thordaddy said:
WJW

NFL
No freaking Limpwrists

Actually, yes, they do...I've seen this MANY times in NHL play, most often in the regular season.

What Schiano did was Schiano being an a-hole. He did it again this week because he had to. Couldn't NOT do it, or he would have been ridiculed. So he repeats his boneheaded call from last week because he doesn't have the nuts to admit that, if he had to do it over again, he wouldn't be such an a-hole.

But, then again, how can he not be what he is?

The real tragedy here is that he can't see how stupid he looks.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Dochal said:
Ram Quixote said:
libertadrocks said:
Thordaddy said:
WJW

NFL
No freaking Limpwrists

Actually, yes, they do...I've seen this MANY times in NHL play, most often in the regular season.

What Schiano did was Schiano being an a-hole. He did it again this week because he had to. Couldn't NOT do it, or he would have been ridiculed. So he repeats his boneheaded call from last week because he doesn't have the nuts to admit that, if he had to do it over again, he wouldn't be such an a-hole.

Actually the "tragedy" is that Schiano is being hung out to dry for this and called stupid when he's actually a heluva coach who's turning a wobegone team around.
What he's trying isn't working but he's instilling an attitude and that ain't stupid.
Neither side of this debate is "stupid"

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Just bumping this thread so we can reminisce about the good old days of last weeks cause celeb

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
Just bumping this thread so we can reminisce about the good old days of last weeks cause celeb
lol.

Any guesses as to what it'll be this week?
And funny how Belichick manhandling a ref gets almost zero play right now.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
X said:
Thordaddy said:
lol.

Any guesses as to what it'll be this week?
And funny how Belichick manhandling a ref gets almost zero play right now.

Oh the suspensions and fines are coming but yeah we have a short memory ,24 hour news cycle.

I tuned ESPN out, was in my pickup so didn't have XM, actually listened to Sean Hannity just to escape the feeding frenzy.

Predictions? UH IMA lay off the last one cost me lunch :huh:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So Schiano rationalizes after the game and I believe he says something to the effect of... "We have forced 3 or 4 fumbles over the past few years with that play. " Being that I have never EVER seen it happen in the victory formation, I call bullshit. And didn't he do it three straight plays when down by 10 this week? On that I call backing your bullshit lies with more bullshit play.

I'm not saying he should be ok with a kneel down. I've always hated those and Coughlin should stop doing things that make him look like a whiny old man. You are a multiple SB winning coach. Act like it.

My problem with all this? I just think Schiano is a full of shit liar.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
RamFan503 said:
So Schiano rationalizes after the game and I believe he says something to the effect of... "We have forced 3 or 4 fumbles over the past few years with that play. " Being that I have never EVER seen it happen in the victory formation, I call bullshit. And didn't he do it three straight plays when down by 10 this week? On that I call backing your bullshit lies with more bullshit play.

I'm not saying he should be ok with a kneel down. I've always hated those and Coughlin should stop doing things that make him look like a whiny old man. You are a multiple SB winning coach. Act like it.

My problem with all this? I just think Schiano is a full of shit liar.

Well you are certainly opinionated to your entitlement ,did I say that right?

10 points being two scores there is little reason to expect lightning to strike repeatedly ,unless of course you are the father of a Norse god.
However maybe you could put a research assistant on the job and discover if he'd been successful in college. That he was bullshitting about it working a bunch of times ,I don't doubt was defensive fabrication
Hell maybe he's like that one dude that got the job at Notre Dame with a false resume.
Dunno, JMO though the biggest problem with the original play was ....it didn't work ,kinda like the 4th down play Vermeil pulled to win a game a few years back made him bold and last Sunday Schwartz pulled a 4th down play that cost him a game ,and he's a dummy. They love ya win or win.
If I'd been Schiano, and I'd been asked about it, my response would have been that ,next week there's gonna be a bullshit call on the last play of the game and I was hoping I could get one a little ahead of schedule,lil sumpin ,sumpin for the new guy you know, do a brotha a solid.
Nothing ventured and all that, .
Hey raise your hand if you didn't know before the Direct TV commercial what Tapanade was, I'm up here like Tapan who?
Banjos ,I hear banjos.

Dochal

UDFA
Thordaddy said:
Dochal said:
Ram Quixote said:
libertadrocks said:
Thordaddy said:
WJW

NFL
No freaking Limpwrists

Actually the "tragedy" is that Schiano is being hung out to dry for this and called stupid when he's actually a heluva coach who's turning a wobegone team around.
What he's trying isn't working but he's instilling an attitude and that ain't stupid.
Neither side of this debate is "stupid"

Actually, the Schiano side is stupid...'cause I said so.

Did I mention that I have no use for him? Irrational, yes, but hey, I'm old enough to be irrational and have it called eccentricity...

1-3 and counting. Lost to Washington. At home, I believe. Would have been more if Cundiff could kick.

Looks like that "strategy" of Schiano's will get plenty of reps...

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
So, speaking of odd late-game tactics, the chargers did an onside kick against the Chiefs with about 2 minutes to go. I dont even think Belichick would do that, and I havent heard any folks talking about it.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
JdashSTL said:
So, speaking of odd late-game tactics, the chargers did an onside kick against the Chiefs with about 2 minutes to go. I dont even think Belichick would do that, and I havent heard any folks talking about it.
East Coast Bias

Iron Lion

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
JdashSTL said:

I didn't know anyone even knew about that. Did you see the stands? Totally empty lol. Fans would've avoided traffic by leaving after the game.