Breaking Down The St. Louis Rams' Salary Cap: Where Is The Money Best Spent?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Steven Gerwel
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1914775-breaking-down-the-st-louis-rams-salary-cap-where-is-the-money-best-spenthttp://bleacherreport.com/users/426734-steven-gerwel

hi-res-128326476-rodger-saffold-of-the-st-louis-rams-blocks-against-the_crop_north.jpg
Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images

The St. Louis Rams will enter the offseason tight against the cap with few resources at the front office's disposal.

In fact, according to Over the Cap, a website that carefully tracks team spending, the Rams had the least cap space in the NFL during the 2013 season at $86,162—a nice chunk of change for you and me, but an alarmingly small amount in NFL terms.

With such little financial freedom, the team must make every dollar count. Between the signing of free agents, draft picks and undrafted rookies, there is no room for irresponsible spending in 2014.

Here's an overview of St. Louis' cap situation, as well as thoughts on where the money should be spent.

Creating Wiggle Room

According to USA Today, the 2013 NFL salary cap of $123 million will likely undergo a 2.68 percent inflation to $126.3 million—providing St. Louis with an extra $3.3 million in cap space right off the bat.

The Rams also have $11.2 million of dead money from the 2013 season that will be coming off the books, according to Spotrac.

The term "dead money" refers to guaranteed money that is still being paid out to former players. For example, ex-Rams safety Quintin Mikell counted for $6 million against the 2013 cap even though he was no longer with the team. That money was still guaranteed to Mikell and therefore went against the 2013 cap.

That brings to total to $14.5 million in extra cap space.

James Laurinaitis' cap hit will go down $2 million, bringing the total to $16.5 million.

Next, it's time to make some cuts.

Cortland Finnegan will most likely be cut after an injury-plagued 2013 season. He has a $10 million cap hit in 2014 with only $3 million guaranteed, so the cut will save St. Louis $7 million in 2014 cap space.

Scott Wells is another cut that is highly likely. Wells is due $6.5 million in 2014, and only $2 million will count as dead money, leaving the Rams with a $4.5 million savings.

Kendall Langford and Harvey Dahl are both possible candidates, but both players have something to offer on the field, so it's hard to tell what management will do here. Each player is worth $4 million in savings if cut.

For argument sake, lets say just Dahl is cut. That brings the total to $32 million in extra cash based on all the moves covered in this section. Possibly $36 million if Langford is cut as well.

Extra Expenses

While Laurinaitis' cap number will decrease in 2014, several players will get an inflated pay day.

Four players in no danger of being cut—Jake Long, Chris Long, Sam Bradford, Jared Cook—will see their cap numbers rise a combined $19 million in 2014.

William Hayes will also see his cap number rise from $2 million to $3.8 million, but his status is not as concrete as the other four players.

All of the mentioned players are possible candidates for contract renegotiations to create cap space, except for Bradford, who is more likely a candidate for a contract extension (a questionable proposition given his injury).

Take the combined $20 million inflation from these players, subtract that from the $32 million total in the section above, and leave $12 million.

The next expense is draft picks. The Rams have the No. 2 and No. 13 overall picks in the first round, followed by (approximately) the 13th pick in each additional round.

Here's the cap hit from those same picks in 2013, according to Spotrac:

Round 1 (2): Luke Joeckel, Jacksonville ($3.854 million)

Round 1 (13): Sheldon Richardson, New York ($1.828 million)

Round 2 (45): Kevin Minter, Arizona ($798,000)

Round 3 (75): Terron Armstead, New Orleans ($559,000)

Round 4 (110): Ryan Nassib, New York, ($518,000)

Round 5 (146): Quanterus Smith, Denver ($336,000)

Round 6 (181): Latavius Murray, Oakland ($314,000)

Round 7 (218): Jordan Poyer, Philadelphia ($238,000)

Total: $8.445 million

Subtracted from the $12 million, that leaves approximately $3 million in spending, assuming there are no contract negotiations or contract extensions to create extra wiggle room.

Alan

Legend
$8.5 million for the rookies. Worse than we thought. That's without trade downs too.

Alan

Legend
I re-did the figures on the other thread and with a $3 million increase of this years CAP it would leave us with $2.2 million. That's with no reserves for in season injuries.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
So... BLAH!!! Guess we shouldn't get our hopes up in free agency, huh? Thats no fun...

Maybe if we create a little more cap space we can afford a new high profile OG or FS but that's about it. And by "high profile" I mean like a poor mans high profile. Like going from Wes Welker to Ammendola or something. A blue chip player.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If I recall correctly, everyone thought we were up against the cap prior to the beginning of last year, and we ended up dumping a fortune on Cook and Long. For whatever reason, things tend to work out here financially. KD knows what he's doing. And you'll get to ask him about this stuff after the season is over too.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
There will be cuts and redone deals so nothing to worry about now.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If I recall correctly, everyone thought we were up against the cap prior to the beginning of last year, and we ended up dumping a fortune on Cook and Long. For whatever reason, things tend to work out here financially. KD knows what he's doing. And you'll get to ask him about this stuff after the season is over too.
^This

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
This stuff always works out. Think its tight now, wait till all Sneeds up and comers come do for their 2nd contract.
Maybe I miss read something, but those 8 rookies are taking the place of 8 guys on the roster now right? And some of the Rams Fa's won't be asked back?
Is that money counted off in these numbers?

fearsomefour

Legend
Well that was depressing. I am assuming that the front office will have a plan and free up some money if not, then that $3M has to go to Smith, Barnes, Dunbar and whoever of our own we want to bring back.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil

FLV: I've noticed you often post with info about salaries etc. Its something that interests me. Where do you get that info from? Do you know if the websites quoted in the article in the OP are any good?

Also what kit is the elf thing in your avatar wearing? I hope you're not an Aston Villa fan!

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil

Excellent stuff. Thanks mate. I appreciate it

Alan

Legend
Yamahopper with CAP thoughts:
This stuff always works out. Think its tight now, wait till all Sneeds up and comers come do for their 2nd contract.
Maybe I miss read something, but those 8 rookies are taking the place of 8 guys on the roster now right? And some of the Rams Fa's won't be asked back?
Is that money counted off in these numbers?

Two things to think about here. Only the top 51 salaries count towards the CAP. In addition, most of the players other than guys like Wells, Dahl and other like him will be the bottom feeders whose salary will in many cases be less than the newly drafted players.