Breaking down the Rams ratings in Madden 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.therams.com/news/breaking-down-the-rams-ratings-in-madden-2020

Breaking down the Rams ratings in Madden 2020

Everybody loves talking Madden ratings.

It seems like every year when the initial ratings come out, there’s some debate on Twitter about who’s too low, who’s too high, who’s going to get better — you know the drill.

This year was no exception, as the Twitterverse exploded on Monday morning.

We already knew Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald is one of four players with a “perfect” 99 rating — well earned for a player who just set a record for interior linemen with 20.5 sacks.

But what about everyone else? Let’s take a look at the big picture of the Rams’ player ratings for Madden 2020.

To get your own look at each of the Madden 2020 ratings, click here.

— Overall, the Rams are tied with the Chiefs and Texans for the most players leading a position group (three). L.A. has the top running back in Todd Gurley (97 overall), and top punter in Johnny Hekker (86).

Donald is technically a defensive tackle with the Rams, and is considered as such throughout the league. But in Madden, he’s a right end because that’s the spot where three techniques play in Los Angeles’ base 3-4 defensive scheme.

So, that’s where the Rams have their three — right end, running back, and punter. The Chiefs have the top quarterback (Patrick Mahomes), top tight end (Travis Kelce), and top right tackle (Mitchell Schwartz). Houston has the top wide receiver (DeAndre Hopkins), top left end (J.J. Watt), and top right outside linebacker (Jadeveon Clowney).

— Los Angeles’ six highest-rated players are Donald, Gurley, left tackle Andrew Whitworth (93), cornerback Aqib Talib (87), wide receiver Robert Woods (87), and wide receiver Brandin Cooks (87).

— Whitworth is the No. 4 left tackle in the game with his rating, behind Green Bay’s David Bakhtiari, Washington’s Trent Williams, and Dallas’ Tyron Smith.

— The Rams are the only team with three wide receivers who will start out with at least an 84 overall rating. Third-year wideout Cooper Kupp is clearly the third member of that group, at 84 overall.

— At 83 overall, quarterback Jared Goff is No. 11 at his position. His overall rating is tied with Cleveland’s Baker Mayfield and is just above Philadelphia’s Carson Wentz and Houston’s Deshaun Watson, who are both rated at 82.

— Strong safety John Johnson is No. 8 in the initial ratings (85). There’s definitely a chance he’ll move up that board throughout the course of the season.

— Perhaps ironically, Samson Ebukam is the Rams’ highest-rated outside linebacker (80). Clay Matthews (78) and Dante Fowler (77) are lower on the list. Matthews and Fowler, however, are the expected starters heading into 2019.

— Finally if there’s maybe an area for concern when you first put the disk in, it’s on the interior of the offensive line. With little playing experience, the likely starters at left guard and center — Joseph Noteboom and Brian Allen, respectively — are rated at 65 and 62 overall. Fortunately, the games played in real life aren’t really a reflection of Madden’s system and run game coordinator/offensive line coach Aaron Kromer should have Noteboom and Allen ready to play at a high level come September.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
EA has ruined football games for me with its Rinse and Repeat model that they have given Madden.

Exclusive rights to the NFL has lead to the creation of a terrible, sorry excuse of a game.

Rant over

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
So I did a little research. Jared Goff is 40th all time in pass yards and 70th all time in passing TDs in a season. I compiled a list of relative QBs who accomplished the same exact feat(or close to it)with their Madden rating that year next to it.

Player(year) Rating Stats Record
Peyton Manning(2013) 99 overall 5477 yards 55 TDs 13-3

Matt Stafford(2011) 91 overall 5038 yards 41 TDs 10-6

Kirk Cousins(2016) 85 overall 4916 yards 25 TDs 8-7-1 (OC-SEAN MCVAY)

Matt Shaub(2009) 89 overall 4770 yards 29 TDs 9-7

Eli Manning (2011) 97 overall 4933 yards 29 TDs 9-7

Jared Goff(2018) 83 overall 4688 yards 32 TDs 13-3
SAM BRADFORD(2010) EIGHTY FIVE OVERALL!!!!!

I checked almost every Madden. Goff is the lowest rated QB EVER!!!!! With those stats. ON TOP OF THAT. Phillip Rivers(94 overall), Matt Ryan(89 overall) had almost identical seasons and a worse record.

My point is, this game is a joke and Goff has become the butt end of it. There is no reason for them to continue to short him. Putting him below Cam Newton and on par with Baker Mayfield. I have zero interest in buying it this year. We have the best QB in franchise history since Kurt Warner and I can’t even fucking enjoy him in a video game.

bluecoconuts

Legend
So I did a little research. Jared Goff is 40th all time in pass yards and 70th all time in passing TDs in a season. I compiled a list of relative QBs who accomplished the same exact feat(or close to it)with their Madden rating that year next to it.

I checked almost every Madden. Goff is the lowest rated QB EVER!!!!! With those stats. ON TOP OF THAT. Phillip Rivers(94 overall), Matt Ryan(89 overall) had almost identical seasons and a worse record.

My point is, this game is a joke and Goff has become the butt end of it. There is no reason for them to continue to short him. Putting him below Cam Newton and on par with Baker Mayfield. I have zero interest in buying it this year. We have the best QB in franchise history since Kurt Warner and I can’t even freaking enjoy him in a video game.

This is my gripe as well. I shouldn't have to fix the ratings and avoid playing online because some fucking douchebag with Cowboys shit all over his desk doesn't know football.

Yeah they watch the games, doesn't mean they understand them or know what the fuck is happening. It's why I hate these advanced stats that try to determine who is at fault, the reciever or the QB for any bad pass. We don't know if the reciever did the wrong thing or the QB just missed his pass, and guessing isn't the answer.

tempests

Hall of Fame
My point is, this game is a joke and Goff has become the butt end of it. There is no reason for them to continue to short him. Putting him below Cam Newton and on par with Baker Mayfield. I have zero interest in buying it this year. We have the best QB in franchise history since Kurt Warner and I can’t even freaking enjoy him in a video game.

Madden is often slow to recognize rising stars in the league. With the roster updates this year, I expect Goff's rating to rise this year and keep climbing.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing

The rating scale is different each year, so you can't compare to those previous.

Goffs overall is 83 and honestly I don't thinks it's far off. I think Rivers(94), Ryan(89), Cam(84), are too high, but Rodgers is (90) and Roethlisberger is (85).

If you dive into Cam and Baker, I think their overall athleticism gives them a bump, but if you look at accuracy, Goffs numbers are a lot higher.

Other players have respectable numbers too, as stated in the article.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
The rating scale is different each year, so you can't compare to those previous.

Goffs overall is 83 and honestly I don't thinks it's far off. I think Rivers(94), Ryan(89), Cam(84), are too high, but Rodgers is (90) and Roethlisberger is (85).

If you dive into Cam and Baker, I think their overall athleticism gives them a bump, but if you look at accuracy, Goffs numbers are a lot higher.

Other players have respectable numbers too, as stated in the article.
I disagree completely. If Goff has the same type of season as Ryan and Rivers(Brady too), then why is he lower? This is strictly Madden having the same thinking as the rest of the media. “Goff can’t read a defense”, “You can put any QB in that system”, “Goff has the best weapons in the league of course he’s going to put up stats”. Those are real, actual quotes from people who talk football for a living. Madden is just confirming it.

I will spend the rest of my life defending Jared Goff and telling everyone how it really is. He is a top 7 QB and will continue to climb the rankings. You say the madden ratings are on a different scale. But how do they determine the ratings? His stats, record and accolades all prove he should be right up there with the top guys.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Madden is often slow to recognize rising stars in the league. With the roster updates this year, I expect Goff's rating to rise this year and keep climbing.

Goff went into Madden 19 rated 81 overall and ended 83, which is bullshit compared to what he was doing last year. I wouldn't trust those updates.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
EA is forever dead to me for killing off Dead Space and Mass Effect. I will never forgive them for the latter especially; Mass Effect remains one of my favorite franchises ever.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Goff went into Madden 19 rated 81 overall and ended 83, which is bullcrap compared to what he was doing last year. I wouldn't trust those updates.

I did say they were slow to recognize some players. Doesn't mean they're not going to recognize him, though.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
I thought Hekker should be higher than an 86. One of the best ever at his position.