Breaking down the Rams day three draft selections and final draft grade

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Final Rams draft grade?

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Breaking down the Rams day three draft selections and final draft grade
227364_204eafedc4e349c182510b87865a2fdb~mv2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...-three-draft-selections-and-final-draft-grade

The draft has come and gone so here is our breakdown of the last day of the NFL draft for the Rams.

4th round, 117th overall pick (via Chicago Bears): Josh Reynolds, WR, Texas A&M
227364_da4de77cef2f4bc893db518e2e9c19fc~mv2.webp

The Rams kicked off their day three by trading down with the Bears to acquire another sixth round pick (which they then traded away…) the Bears took a stud safety in Eddie Jackson, but the Rams decided to go offensive minded and gave Jared Goff another weapon in Josh Reynolds. Reynolds is a 6-foot-3 and 194 pound big-play receiver that gives the Rams a field stretcher and red zone target. The Rams punted for more yards than they accumulated on offense last season so this shouldn’t surprise anyone.

Reynolds was not my favorite wide receiver available and I have my reservations with him, but the Rams are starting to really build a nice group of receivers and this pick allows Reynolds to come in and likely be used on the outside where he should be as opposed to going to a team that would have a hard time finding playing time for him. There is a good chance this opens the door for a trade of one of the Rams receivers on the roster.

Looking at what Reynolds can do, he has around the average speed you want in an NFL starting WR, he’s got a 37 inch vertical jump and jumped a 123 inch broad jump. He tracks the ball just as well as anyone in this class so that right there could make him the best vertical threat at WR for the Rams, he is great when contested and he made some of the most insane circus catches you will see. So what’s wrong with him?

I feel as though his film at Texas A&M was inconsistent, he does need to add weight, he has a hard time getting off the line of scrimmage and really needs to work on his footwork. Overall the Rams got a good football player that will be able to make an impact in some capacity in 2017, but he could be more of a sub package/red zone target for his rookie year, but his upside is exciting and could be a starting WR for the Rams for years to come.

Grade: (B+) I really like this pick and of course I had other WR’s higher on my board, but you are getting a good player that has an exciting amount of upside to grow his role each year.

Who I would have taken: George Kittle, TE, Iowa

Player Comparison: (Mohammad Sanu, WR, Atlanta Falcons) I like this comparison because both guys are taller receivers that have some nice speed and excel at tracking the long ball.

Other players passed up: WR Mack Hollins, North Carolina, TE George Kittle, Iowa, G Nico Siragusa, San Diego State, S Montae Nicholson, Michigan State, LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin, Tennessee

4th round, 125th overall pick (via New York Jets): Samson Ebukam, OLB, Eastern Washington
227364_c4f559b92c704b2392065604e974b44c~mv2.webp

After trading down and acquiring an extra sixth round pick, the Rams were impatient and jumped right back up the board to select a guy they had targeted in Samson Ebukam. He is the second Eastern Washington player to come to the Rams. The pick is not what I know, but I was a little disappointed that the Rams traded that pick away to select Ebukam. They are probably going to make me eat my words on that too.

Getting down to the pick, Ebukam is likely going to fit perfectly, right in Wade Phillips defense as a rotational pass rushing linebacker. The Nigerian born edge rusher tested incredibly well at his pro day. Ran a 4.5 flat forty, had a 39 inch vertical jump, 24 bench reps, almost an 11 foot broad jump at 6-foot-2 and 240 pounds. Clearly Wade was banging the table for this man as well as LB coach Joe Barry. He is an extremely twitchy pass rusher that shows a first step explosion that will scare offenses around the NFL. He has an exceptional work ethic and football IQ that will allow him to contribute instantly. Ebukam has the ability to develop into a complete linebacker. He’s also going to be welcomed to Coach Bones’ special teams unit.

The only issues with Ebukam are that he’s raw if you want him to start that may not be the best idea. He needs to develop more pass rush moves and work on disengaging blocks quicker.

Grade: (B-) This grade was a B, but I knock it down a peg because of the trade. Ebukam fits what the Rams are trying to do on defense and this will likely help after Connor Barwin’s one-year deal is up.

Who would I have taken: Blair Brown, ILB, Ohio

Player Comparison: (Dekoda Watson with a hint of DeMarcus Ware) Freakish athletes compare to freakish athletes. Watson is the more realistic comparison, but you can see why Wade wanted Ebukam. He is likely to start out like a rotational guy such as Watson, but could take on that DeMarcus Ware role down the line.

Other players passed up: ILB Blair Brown, Ohio, LB Jayon Brown, UCLA, G Jordan Morgan, Kutztown, CB Damontae Kazee, San Diego State, DE Avery Moss, Youngstown State, ILB Anthony Walker, Northwestern

6th round, 189th overall pick: Tanzel Smart, DT, Tulane
227364_c761623218984157a33abd529a8061eb~mv2.webp

I really like this pick of Tanzel Smart. All you hear about Smart is that he just loves football. He is a passionate player and a high quality character guy. Smart is a one gap penetrator that will fit right into the defensive line rotation. Smart is not the desire size you would want necessarily, but he wins with his quickness off the line. He uses his hands well and is able to rip off of blocks easier than many players at his position in this draft.

With that being said, he does has his issues with the lack of competition at Tulane, his lack of speed and length. He could probably start if need be, but he seems like a really good rotational player for the Rams. With the new scheme change the Rams need for a defensive tackle has been identified and they attack that need with Smart.

Grade: (B+) This is a round or two lower than I had him which makes this a steal in my opinion. I think he fills a need as a depth defensive lineman and has that quickness that allows him to play defensive tackle and end if need be.

Who would I have taken: JoJo Mathis, OLB, Washington

Player Comparison: (Grady Jarrett, DT, Atlanta Falcons) Both are one gap penetrations that have the “undersized” label and extremely quick feet.

Other players passed up: CB Jeremy Clark, Michigan, LB Jordan Evans, Oklahoma, S Xavier Woods, Louisiana Tech, C Chase Roullier, Wyoming, TE Bucky Hodges, Virginia Tech

6th round, 206th overall pick (via Miami Dolphins): Sam Rogers, FB, Virginia Tech
227364_2f1c64ecb8774379a55edeff436e6167~mv2_d_2048_1363_s_2.webp

It’s not hard to see why the Rams liked this guy and made the pick. Sam Rogers instantly comes in and can be the lead blocker for a struggling RB in Todd Gurley, he is a versatile threat running the ball, catching the ball and of course blocking. The Rams haven’t had a fullback like him in a long time, but Rogers to me is a great pick here late in the draft. This is the best fullback in the entire draft class who just refuses to go down and encourages having the ball in his hands. Another player Coach Bones will love on special teams, he’s just an aggressive and high energy guy that will impact the locker room early on.

What’s not to like? Well, to be honest, the only knock on him is his speed, but he has the quickness and agility to make sneaky plays on the field.

Grade: (A) He’s the best pick as far as value goes for the whole draft. He is going to be their security blanket and likely he’s the reason they didn’t draft another TE after Everett.

Who would I have taken: Kyle Sloter, QB, Northern Colorado

Player Comparison: (Kyle Juszczyk, FB, San Francisco 49ers) Both of them can be blockers, ball-carriers and pass catchers. The versatility factor adds a new dynamic to the offense. Juszczyk just made some serious cash with his deal in San Fran. He’s a little faster than Rogers, but Rogers is just like him in many ways.

Other players passed up: S Rudy Ford, Auburn, OT Justin Senior, Mississippi State, OT Connor McDermott, UCLA, WR Robert Davis, Georgia State, QB Brad Kaaya, Miami, S Leon McQuay III, USC, DT Elijah Qualls, Washington, CB Jalen Myrick, Minnesota

7th round, 234th overall (via Baltimore Ravens): Ejuan Price, OLB, Pittsburgh
227364_baf51ca74bc44d2d9f5de523a36b8c5a~mv2.webp

This was a fitting pick when you already have an undersized Pittsburgh player in Aaron Donald, might as well try your lucky with another in Ejuan Price right? He has been bothered by injuries, but his tape is littered with elite college production. He doesn’t have the long speed that many scouts wanted and factor that in with his injuries, that is why he fell into the seventh round.

Price brings a tenacity about him to the field that will fit right in a real nice linebacker rotation with newly drafted linebacker Samson Ebukam. At 5-foot-11 and 241 pounds he found himself really only a fit in the 3-4 type of outside linebacker scheme.

Grade: (B) He can come in and work hard right away as a special teamer and a rotational pass rusher. Wade is going to do wonders for him. The Rams now have a massive amount of linebackers.

Who would I have taken: Javancy Jones, OLB, Jackson State

Player Comparison: (Elvis Dumervil, OLB) Like Dumervil, Price ran a bad 40 time and was undersized so the scouts underrated him. Price may not be Dumervil, but they play the same type of game and the measurable are identical.

Other players passed up: OLB Javancy Jones, Jackson State, OLB Caroll Phillips, Illinois, C Kyle Fuller, Baylor, WR Noah Brown, Ohio State, WR Isaiah Ford, Virginia Tech, WR Malachi Dupre, LSU

Final Rams 2017 NFL Draft Grade: B-

After some disappointment with one of the picks, all in all this is a good draft for the Rams. They got better by adding three pass catchers Goff will be using a ton: Gerald Everett, Cooper Kupp and Josh Reynolds. The Rams even drafted a fullback and the best FB at that in Sam Rogers who will come in and give Goff an outlet that can be a security blanket receiver, a running back and a tenacious blocker. Moving away from offense the Rams drafted a freakish athlete and a not so freakish athlete to go into their linebacker rotation. Both men can contribute in some capacity right away. The Rams in my personal opinion reached on John Johnson who will likely end up being a great player since Wade Phillips knows what he is doing. Lastly, Tanzel Smart is a great pick that will add a really good one-gap penetrator to the defensive line rotation. I believe this draft could have been better, but it still was a good draft for the Rams.

What are your thoughts Rams fans? How did we do? Let us know!

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
First off - I don't know how Reynolds and Kupp weren't top 50 picks.
I am glad we got both, but where we got them is just the crazy awesome kind of thing that happens that helps push a team out of its suckhole of perpetual losing.

I have been so busy for so long that this year is the least informed I've been in several years, so I have been playing catch up.

I gave this draft an A because to me, this team needed guys who learn quickly and I think we got that across the board.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I gave this draft an A because to me, this team needed guys who learn quickly and I think we got that across the board.
Anti-Jeff Fisher (Be all brawn and no brains) draft philosophy vs Sean McVay draft philosophy (Brain over brawn)

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
First off - I don't know how Reynolds and Kupp weren't top 50 picks.
I am glad we got both, but where we got them is just the crazy awesome kind of thing that happens that helps push a team out of its suckhole of perpetual losing.

I have been so busy for so long that this year is the least informed I've been in several years, so I have been playing catch up.

the fact that this draft was so deep at the DB, WR, pass rush and TE positions, along with a couple teams reaching for QB's is what pushed these guys down to us, IMHO.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
the fact that this draft was so deep at the DB, WR, pass rush and TE positions, along with a couple teams reaching for QB's is what pushed these guys down to us, IMHO.
For sure. It was a very fortuitous draft for us, imo.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I can tell you this much ... we are by FAR better at the pass catching options than we have been in some time. We all have screamed for some decent pass options (even before Goff) and they went out and did (what I think) the best they could do without having a first Rd. pick. And I am happy that they are not giving up on the young OL we have invested in so much the past couple yrs. that would be totally depressing. the fact that they think they can resurrect and fix those guys should be very encouraging to us all. i like most have my doubts on GRob .. but they at least gotta try. This staff doesn't seem to have that blank stare that Fisher & Co. had. these guys are showing determination and smarts.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Anti-Jeff Fisher (Be all brawn and no brains) draft philosophy vs Sean McVay draft philosophy (Brain over brawn)

nice rap up jake appreciate the effort and agree with most of it. I gave us a b on this draft

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I give them an A, based mainly on the fact they had no 1st rd pick and still came away with probably 4 impact players on O and a few players that are gonna contribute on D this season as well. Not really any "project picks" just young smart football players.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
And @Prime Time will probably give you High Grades for using the word " fortuitous" in a sentence about the Rams!! He loves it when we use words longer than 7 or 8 letters!!:rolllaugh:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gave the day 3 an A thought all the players fit what they've said is the agenda and overall a B+. They've said what they wanted and they did it can't ask for anything more than that. They didn't panic they traded down in the 2nd and got their top target there the guy that most all experts had as the 3rd or 4th rated TE and got him as the 4th TE drafted. Added a stud WR in the 3rd and 4th rounds and helped defense depth and special teams with the rest of the picks.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Gave the day 3 an A thought all the players fit what they've said is the agenda and overall a B+. They've said what they wanted and they did it can't ask for anything more than that. They didn't panic they traded down in the 2nd and got their top target there the guy that most all experts had as the 3rd or 4th rated TE and got him as the 4th TE drafted. Added a stud WR in the 3rd and 4th rounds and helped defense depth and special teams with the rest of the picks.
Right. What would have dropped the grade for me is if they panicked nad did something stupid like trade up and lose the ammo they had. they had plenty of needs coming into this offseason and IMHO, they have done a fantastic job of not only filling needs, but creating competition at virtually EVERY position group sans QB. And they did this with around middle of the pack in terms of available FA $$$ and no first Rd. pick. I am impressed.

DrHavenstein

Rookie
Name
Ty
Don't know a lot about Everett. I guess he's an Engram type player, if so I'm happy. Would have loved to see Lamp taken here. If McVay can do with GE/TH what he did with Reed in Washington, I'll be a bigger fan of this pick.

Love that we got Kupp where we did. I remember all the hype around him, back during the senior bowl. And then he ran a 4.6 and seemed to fall out of the picture. Goff needs some dependable targets who can run routes. He got one here.

Was surprised with the Reynolds pick. I had him as the guy I wanted if we chose to focus on OL/DBs in the first two rounds. We didn't, but got him anyway. Another guy with good hands, and some big play potential to boot.

Looking forward to see Ejaun Price get to work as well. A bit older, but if he can stay healthy I think he'll be a steal. Seems to have a high motor and lots of talent despite being undersized.

We have one helluva battle coming up at WR too. Camp should be fun. I think that last year's rookies (Thomas/Spruce, not so much Cooper) might be on the outside looking in.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
During the draft after each of our last four picks, I had to go watch some video of each guy since I didn't know them too well. After watching video each pick made sense and I saw why the player was chosen and how they "fit" in the
new schemes as well as on special teams; very impressive picks, especially where they were chosen. Like the write up Jake, good job!! Oh, btw, you may want to kick your grade up a little because you have to include half of Goff into this draft as well.....anyway, thanks again.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Don't know a lot about Everett. I guess he's an Engram type player, if so I'm happy. Would have loved to see Lamp taken here. If McVay can do with GE/TH what he did with Reed in Washington, I'll be a bigger fan of this pick.

Love that we got Kupp where we did. I remember all the hype around him, back during the senior bowl. And then he ran a 4.6 and seemed to fall out of the picture. Goff needs some dependable targets who can run routes. He got one here.

Was surprised with the Reynolds pick. I had him as the guy I wanted if we chose to focus on OL/DBs in the first two rounds. We didn't, but got him anyway. Another guy with good hands, and some big play potential to boot.

Looking forward to see Ejaun Price get to work as well. A bit older, but if he can stay healthy I think he'll be a steal. Seems to have a high motor and lots of talent despite being undersized.

We have one helluva battle coming up at WR too. Camp should be fun. I think that last year's rookies (Thomas/Spruce, not so much Cooper) might be on the outside looking in.

Correction:

He's an Njoku type of player... Engram is below Everett :D

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Should be an 'A', but i'll give it a 'B+' for a non-sensical reason, I wanted to trade for Njoku. Now, I realize that Everett fits the Jordan Reed mold perfectly, and should be just what the doctor ordered, but Njoku has stardom written all over him. This is what happens when you fall for a particular player, so I understand those folks disappointment with us not going for Lamp, even if I wasn't one of them. Going after Njoku would have required moving up rather than down, so the rest of our draft would have been completely altered, and I don't want that as i'm very pleased with the overall outcome. It's also questionable whether Njoku would thrive in the same offensive scheme (probably) as Everett will in the way Reed did for McVay in Washington.
All right then damnit, I'll give them an 'A-' ... just because.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, IMHO, I can't give a draft an A because there is no first round pick so we have to go from there. After having a day to digest all the picks, it was obvious that McVay had to have his "Jordan Reed." type of player and Gerald Everett was the target as they felt he would be there, so if indeed that was the target I understand going in that direction and trading down in order to get another selection.

Cooper Kupp was a very good pick based on value and as McVay stated in the presser what he brings to the table from the neck up. Kupp as illustrated by @jrry32 time and time again has the ability to break tackles and hard to debate the need at that position. John Johnson seems to be the type of player you want on your defense plus he'll be great on special teams. Rams will need a Safety next year and for the first time in a while Johnson seems to have the attributes to play free safety who is very good in coverage.

Josh Reynolds will be the Kenny Britt with length and the ability to run deep patterns plus he can play on the outside which for a while seemed like a lost art at Thousand Oaks. Good Value for Reynolds and hopefully he'll have a chip on his shoulder I have some concerns that he dropped some passes during his pro day, was nervous let's hope that does not translate on game day. Samson Ebukam and I can't help think of that song by the Pointer Sisters as they reference Samson & Delilah....Who am I to question Wade Phillips, if Wade wanted Samson and he did not ask for much else, well, I felt the 4th round was early especially trading up to get him, but there is a reason Wade is the best Defensive Coordinator in the NFL.

Absolutely love the Tanzel Smart pick, he'll be D'Marco Farr or let's hope close to that. Quick, great instincts and relentless which will serve Bill Johnson and company very well moving forward. Now drum roll please...Sam Rogers and my humble apologies to Sam because I just felt he could have been had later or as an UDRFA, but if Sam can block, which again was a lost art in 2016 and provide Gurley the security that he needs, then it will be an excellent pick and real value in round six.

I still was LMAO on the Rams last pick not because I don't like him, but because our very own Counselor At Law, @jrry32 was building a case for Sam Rogers in how he was able to neutralize the one and only Ejuan Price when the Hookies were playing the Panthers. FWIW I have always liked players that played at Pittsburgh, they've had some outstanding players come out of that university considering other programs are more highly touted, but if Price can stay healthy, he's proven he can rush the passer and rushing the passer in the NFL is in high demand.

Overall, I give it a C+ and if Everett is truly special then obviously it will be graded much higher. Snead brought up a good point that the have had spent quite a bit of capital on the offensive line in previous drafts, with the likes of Havenstein, Brown, Donnal, Wichmann, Rhaney & even Robinson quite frankly and they added an all pro LT and a Veteran Center as well and as long as they stay healthy with addition of Coach Aaron Kromer overseeing this unit the Rams believe they will be able to turn the corner with what's in house, they better be right.

Last edited:

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
During the draft after each of our last four picks, I had to go watch some video of each guy since I didn't know them too well. After watching video each pick made sense and I saw why the player was chosen and how they "fit" in the
new schemes as well as on special teams; very impressive picks, especially where they were chosen. Like the write up Jake, good job!! Oh, btw, you may want to kick your grade up a little because you have to include half of Goff into this draft as well.....anyway, thanks again.
Thank you! I appreciate the read. I rated the draft a B- really just because of John Johnson. That's the only reason.

TexasRam

Legend
I just can't rate a draft. I've been around too long to know there is no way to tell if a draft is littered with Hall of Famers or
Busts.

I will say however I like the draft to fit scheme philosophy.

Drafting value picks tends to get the media grades but doesn't seem to be real smart in today's NFL.

I like players that come in and immediately contribute within my scheme.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Player Comparison: (Mohammad Sanu, WR, Atlanta Falcons) I like this comparison because both guys are taller receivers that have some nice speed and excel at tracking the long ball.

Jake, Mohamed Sanu is a slow possession WR who often operates out of the slot. You sure you aren't thinking of Marvin Jones?(it was A.J. Green, Marvin Jones, and Sanu in Cincy before they split up last year)