Brandt: Rams Think Jamon Brown Has Pro Bowl Potential

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Who says we are going to pass? We are just going to run it down their throats!
I think you'll see Foles passing at about the same rate Wilson does for the 'Hags! Reason? Answer - They have Lynch, We have Gurley!!

WestCoastRam

Legend
Well... if one of our rookie olinemen could perform at a pro bowl level ala Aaron Donald last year then I really don't think you have to worry about our oline. Big if. Having Brown perform at a probowl level would mean we could get away with just average play from our center and tackle. If Jamon Brown has the potential, not sure it will be realized as fast as AD.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I LOVE the vote of confidence for Brown. I think (and pray) he is a steal in third.

Howeverrr, just playing devil's advocate, maybe this is Fisher's scapegoat as to why we didn't sign Mathis? I know it's a reach , and trust me I'm not trying g to troll, but maybe its his fallback as to why we didn't sign mathis? Blame it on blind optimism?

Also, I hope Havenstein works his tail off to get that praise too!

FRO

Legend
I hope he is right. I still think with this line being comprised of 4 guys who haven't started a full NFL season there will be struggles early on.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also, I hope Havenstein works his tail off to get that praise too!

Now that you mention it, it is somewhat odd to me that Fisher didn't heap praise on the higher pick.
I'm guessing it's more about what Fisher believes as value for Brown... but he did say Pro Bowl... and did not mention Haverstein.

I believe Jeff Fisher believes what he says.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I wonder if there is any basis for being able to tell how good or bad these guys will be. They haven't even put on pads yet, have they?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Now that you mention it, it is somewhat odd to me that Fisher didn't heap praise on the higher pick.
I'm guessing it's more about what Fisher believes as value for Brown... but he did say Pro Bowl... and did not mention Haverstein.

I believe Jeff Fisher believes what he says.

My expectation with HStein is that he'll be solid, one of those guys you plug in who just plays and does a good job. I don't expect any early-career accolades from him, but I do expect him to play about equivalent to what we had last year at RT in his rookie season with continued growth/improvement the next year.

With Brown I would have to guess Fish let his guard down which is much more likely to happen when he's talking with ex-football types at his practices than when he's at the podium with the press. He is so guarded at media events it always surprises me when he does let info go like that.

Can we start camp plz? Two more weeks argh...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Seems he's (Brown)the most talented rookie drafted...but I still believe Wichmann is the most athletic, and has the most potential of all of them....Well, I gotta see this Battle guy in a year or 2....like most, in 2 weeks we can stop all the speculation...can't hardly wait.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Howeverrr, just playing devil's advocate, maybe this is Fisher's scapegoat as to why we didn't sign Mathis? I know it's a reach , and trust me I'm not trying to troll, but maybe its his fallback as to why we didn't sign mathis? Blame it on blind optimism?

I don't think Fisher needed "an excuse" not to sign Mathis. Nobody else has signed Mathis yet, right? He was released from Philly because he was under contract and wanted a new deal....plus apparently the type of deal he was demanding was too high. According to BleacherReport he was one of the best guards in the NFL last year. So why no contract? Anywhere?

On Fisher heaping praise on Brown, I don't think he would put that kind of pressure on the kid if he didn't believe what he was saying. The bleacher report article says a lot.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2513895-whats-wrong-with-evan-mathis

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Physically Brown reminds me a lot of Rodger Saffold (pre draft).

Brown’s Pro day Measurables:
Height: 6’4”
Weight: 323 lbs
Arm Length: 34-3/8”
40-yard dash: 5.09 seconds
Vertical jump: 28 inches
Broad jump: 103 inches
Short shuttle: 4.7 seconds
3-cone drill: 7.36 seconds

Saffold’s CombineMeasurables:
Height: 6’4 - 5/8”
Weight: 316 lbs (Currently listed 332 lbs)
Arm Length: 33-5/8”
40-yard dash: 5.21 seconds
Vertical jump: 29.5 inches
Broad jump: 113 inches
Short shuttle: 4.67 seconds
3-cone drill: 7.42 seconds
Bench: 27 reps

If Jones ends up winning the starting job at center and Brown maintains his hold on RG spot then the Rams will have 5 former college tackles starting across the offensive line 4 of which played left tackle.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Seems he's (Brown)the most talented rookie drafted...but I still believe Wichmann is the most athletic, and has the most potential of all of them....Well, I gotta see this Battle guy in a year or 2....like most, in 2 weeks we can stop all the speculation...can't hardly wait.
I'm thinking that Wichmann doesn't make the roster but ends up on the PS.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
"Brown is at his best simply mauling defenders at the point of attack, utilizing his long arms (34 3/8") and leg drive to generate movement - making him a better fit at guard in the NFL in a run-heavy, power-based scheme rather than the relatively finesse approach most teams expect from tackles in today's pass-happy attacks,"

This is what really impressed me when I was scouting, and rating OL before the draft. He really delivers a pop on the 2nd level, explodes his hips, and drives people. Jamon moved around a lot, so he knows angles. Good effort guy. Very good athlete. I'm glad he's already impressing the coaches a little bit.

All the OL we picked play hard, and it's probably why we picked them higher than others may have had them rated. I definitely take it "effort" into consideration when I rate them.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
We'll see...That's what makes this time of year so fun....

View: https://youtu.be/6Kbwn_dZcnU

Found it...Click me

View: https://youtu.be/nH5SdMRWVVU

I kinda don't hold anything against a 6th rounder as compared to a late 2nd or 3rd...it's all about perception....and reality....

Don't get me wrong LACHAMP I think he was very good value in the 6th round. After picking up Battle and since lot of the other guy's can play multiple postions it makes it very tough for him to make the roster. Just my opinion. Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Don't get me wrong LACHAMP I think he was very good value in the 6th round. After picking up Battle and since lot of the other guy's can play multiple postions it makes it very tough for him to make the roster. Just my opinion. Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

STARTERS

Robinson, Saffold, Jones, Brown, Havenstein

DEPTH

Rhaney, Barnes, Wang, Washington, Bond, Wichmann, Donnal, Baker, Reynolds, Williams, Battle

-------------------------------------------------------

If we presume they are going to keep 11 and for the heck of it presume all rookies drafted make the roster:

GUARANTEED ROSTER SPOTS

Robinson, Saffold, Jones, Brown, Havenstein, Rhaney, Wichmann, Donnal, Reynolds, Battle

That is 10.

COMPETITION FOR LAST ROSTER SPOT

Barnes, Wang, Washington, Bond, Baker, Williams

Many of those guys have been around and look to me like long-term depth types. Whereas the guys drafted have upside not to mention are probably cheaper. So IMO with them only keeping one of those 6 that bottom roster territory is gonna be rough.

Lastly, I don't think Wichmann will last on the PS. He is a solid prospect (I think the knocks on him in space were a bit excessive) and believe it or not the Rams' waiver wire will be scoured this time around given the way they drafted the position. There is a good chance if one of those 5 rookies are cut that they get picked up to boost someone else's depth. So my guess is all of them make the roster unless they really, really struggle. It is very rare those bottom OL depth chart guys are needed to see the field, the Rams can afford to keep them around IMO.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
STARTERS

Robinson, Saffold, Jones, Brown, Havenstein

DEPTH

Rhaney, Barnes, Wang, Washington, Bond, Wichmann, Donnal, Baker, Reynolds, Williams, Battle

-------------------------------------------------------

If we presume they are going to keep 11 and for the heck of it presume all rookies drafted make the roster:

GUARANTEED ROSTER SPOTS

Robinson, Saffold, Jones, Brown, Havenstein, Rhaney, Wichmann, Donnal, Reynolds, Battle

That is 10.

COMPETITION FOR LAST ROSTER SPOT

Barnes, Wang, Washington, Bond, Baker, Williams

Many of those guys have been around and look to me like long-term depth types. Whereas the guys drafted have upside not to mention are probably cheaper. So IMO with them only keeping one of those 6 that bottom roster territory is gonna be rough.

Lastly, I don't think Wichmann will last on the PS. He is a solid prospect (I think the knocks on him in space were a bit excessive) and believe it or not the Rams' waiver wire will be scoured this time around given the way they drafted the position. There is a good chance if one of those 5 rookies are cut that they get picked up to boost someone else's depth. So my guess is all of them make the roster unless they really, really struggle. It is very rare those bottom OL depth chart guys are needed to see the field, the Rams can afford to keep them around IMO.

Well first off nobody really knows how many OL we will keep. Will it be 9, 10 or 11? I don't know but I'm guessing at least 9 for right now. Now for the part about there being a good chance a team picks up our PS player I have to disagree. The Rams had one of the worst OL in the league so I doubt teams will be chomping at the bit to steal our PS players.