Brandon Washington hopes to seize opportunity/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Washington hopes to seize opportunity
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_81f047c2-b412-56a4-bd91-001ee7b6bbc2.html

Rams offensive lineman Brandon Washington expected to see plenty of action in last weekend’s preseason opener against the Raiders in Oakland.

He just didn’t expect it to come so soon.

“Going into a game like that, you have an idea of when you’re going in, figuring the starters would get at least two series,’’ the 27-year-old said. “I was actually down toward the end zone, watching from behind the offense to see what the defense was trying to do against us and the next thing I know — what was it three or four plays? — and I hear (offensive line coach Paul Boudreau) calling me.

“I was like, ‘Oh, snap.’’’

On the game’s fourth play from scrimmage, veteran Rodger Saffold went down with an apparent shoulder injury and, just like that, Washington joined the Rams’ starting unit at left guard.

“I started off kind of slow, a little bit of rust, I guess,’’ said the 6-foot-2, 318-pound Washington, who was beaten by the Raiders’ Shelby Harris for a 14-yard sack to halt the Rams’ second drive. “It took a few plays, but I felt like I finished strong. As the game went on, I was more comfortable with the position and able to get my feet under myself. I was able to slow the game down mentally and just perform.’’

Washington was on the field for 40 offensive snaps, tying tight end Alex Bayer for the team lead. And, with Saffold ruled out of Sunday’s preseason game against the Tennessee Titans in Nashville, Washington should again see plenty of action.

“It’s definitely the opportunity I’ve been waiting for,’’ said Washington, who has played in just one NFL regular-season game since signing with the Rams as a free agent in September 2012. “I know I can play the game, physically and mentally, so now it’s just a matter of taking what I’ve learned and showing the coaches I can be counted on.

“For me, the key is consistency and pad level and I’m working on those every single day in practice.’’

A Miami native and University of Miami product, Washington was drafted by Philadelphia in the sixth round of the 2012 draft and released at the end of camp. He’s been with the Rams since then, spending most of the time on the practice squad.

“I know the situation. I know the business part of it,’’ Washington said when asked about the Rams’ 2015 draft, which added offensive linemen Rob Havenstein (second round), Jamon Brown (third round), Andrew Donnal (fourth round), Cody Wichmann (sixth round) and Isaiah Battle (fifth round, supplemental). “In every camp, you’re competing for a job. It doesn’t matter if it’s a rookie or a veteran, the key is going out every day and doing what you can to improve.

“Because I’ve been here, my strength is knowing the system and the playbook and that hopefully allows me to play fast and physical. I’ve worked hard for this chance and now hopefully I can get out there and do the job.’’

AN ADDED ZEBRA

During the 13 games this week, the NFL will experiment with an eighth official. Since the side judge was added in 1978, the league has used seven officials.

“We are going to look at positioning the eighth official in a couple of different areas,’’ said Dean Blandino, NFL vice president of officiating. “We want to try to fill some of the holes that may happen in specific situations over the course of the game.’’

In the Rams-Titans game, the extra official will take a position in the offensive backfield along with the referee and umpire; he will focus on the center pre-snap and then shift his attention to the guard and tackle on that side of the field.

In other games, the extra official will be positioned about 20 yards off the line of scrimmage in the defensive backfield. From there, he’ll focus on the interior line, with a particular emphasis on spotting defensive holding penalties.

“All Division I conferences right now have the eighth official, so (the NFL) felt it would be good to experiment with it in a couple preseason games,’’ Rams coach Jeff Fisher said following Thursday’s practice at Rams Park. “The Division I conferences have put the extra official back where the old umpire was, back behind the defense, so we’re going to have him a little deeper. But we’ll move him around. They’re working on the mechanics, so I think it will be good. It will be a good test for us.’’

RAM-BLINGS

The Rams put wide receiver Isiah Ferguson on the waived/injured list Friday. An undrafted rookie free agent from Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Ferguson tweeted about his torn ACL and meniscus earlier Friday. The 6-foot-5, 218-pounder was on the field for eight plays on offense and two more on special teams in the Rams’ 18-3 loss at Oakland last weekend.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Foles now says his hangnail has become infected and there is no chance he can go this week...Who would of thought ...He says further that if it doesn't improve by the start of the regular season (read: Washington gone) he may have to go on IR...YIKES !!!!!

WestCoastRam

Legend
So if Washington is the primary backup at LG, what about Reynolds, does that mean they're keeping him at backup RG?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Can he play Center ? :LOL:, because if he's starting at OG, might as well call him an even exchange for Joseph.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So if Washington is the primary backup at LG, what about Reynolds, does that mean they're keeping him at backup RG?

I hope that's the reasoning.

The bad possibility is Williams has outperformed him in camp.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Kinda hard to believe that olineme are that hard to come by with a draft every year and hundreds of them coming out.And I get that the Nfl is the next level and only the strong survive.But come on every team in the Nfl has some kind of oline issue.We drafted 5 of them this year alone and 9 in the last 3 years and we're having trouble fielding 5 of them....unbelievable.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Getting tired of having to rely on Rodger Saffold, as handy as he is when healthy..Problem is, he seems to be a weak link now where his replacement is even worse than a turnstyle...*smh

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm ordering one of these for @den-the-coach

thumb.aspx

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Washington playing OLG must b the coaches infatuation with experience. He can't really be the best option can he?

Didn't Rhaney see some time at OLG? Maybe that was a desperation move. This team needs to keep drafting OLinemen until they actually have capable backups.

V3

Hall of Fame
I have no idea what they see in him. He's been here for years and still doesn't look any better.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
All in All I'm giving Washington a hard time, but let's hope he plays well against the Titans seems to have the size and OL Coach Paul Boudreau worked wonders with Chris Williams, but again Washington seems to always be chasing the play and his guy seems to always be causing havoc in the pocket.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Maybe we should give him a bit more of a chance. He had some rough snaps against Oakland - but I hear there is a game on TV this weekend - maybe let's see how he does then?

Athos

Legend
Kinda hard to believe that olineme are that hard to come by with a draft every year and hundreds of them coming out.And I get that the Nfl is the next level and only the strong survive.But come on every team in the Nfl has some kind of oline issue.We drafted 5 of them this year alone and 9 in the last 3 years and we're having trouble fielding 5 of them....unbelievable.

I think it's just a matter of Dline talent outstripping oline talent in today's NFL.

Guys on that side are getting stronger and more explosive, some of them at the same weight or close to of the oline, while playing faster.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Must be speaking about the Rams 6th OL'er Garrett Reynolds or was the above comment about another he OL'er flv?

Reynolds when he came into the NFL as a three-year starter. He started the last 26 games of his college career @ ORT. Boudreau does what he also seems to do moved his ORT into a reserve ORG.

Looking for any positives here about our starting OLG against the Titans....he does move very well for a short very big in the middle OG! BW has very good pulling speed...not sure that he can hit his target though. Maybe the reason we are seeing Boudreau play BW as the first up OLG is he has the most experience in time here as a Ram (since 2012) of the non starters?? I really think that Boudreau presently secretly concerned over the great need of some experience on the field. I also think that Boudreau wants Garrett Reynolds as the primary right side reserve OL'er (OG/OT) & he is looking for the replacement for the departed Mike Person who was primary Left side OL'er reserve in 2014.

Last edited:

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
And I would don it with pride sir and would also update my resume with the title of matador being the latest addition.
LMFAO! Somebody should make up a quick, cheap version and do just that. Put "Matador" on the name plate ... and then wear it to a game or something! :ROFLMAO:(y):D