Brandin Cooks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Brandin Cooks

5' 10"
189 lbs
4.33 40-yard dash

Overview

2013: Biletnikoff Award winner (as nation's top receiver), first-team All-American selection and first-team All-Pac-12 pick. Set single-season Pac-12 records with 1,730 receiving yards and 128 receptions. Led FBS in receiving yards and finished second in FBS in receptions. 2012: Biletnikoff Award semifinalist and honorable mention All-Pac-12 pick. Had five 100-yard receiving games. 2011: Played in all 12 games, starting in three. Started first game of season, becoming first true freshman to start season opener at OSU since Roddy Tompkins in 1996. Misc.: Nicknamed "Sonic Boom". Step-brother, Maurice Washington, was in Oakland Raiders training camp.

Analysis
Strengths
Light on his feet with terrific balance. Sinks his hips with ease and pops out of breaks to separate. Tracks and adjusts. Quick hands. Good concentration, body control and boundary awareness. Can turn a short throw into a long gain. Shows elusiveness, creativity and vision after the catch. Unafraid to play in the tall trees. Highly productive -- totaled 195 receptions for 2,881 yards (15.4-yard average) and 21 TDs in last two seasons. Confident and competitive. Has been exceptionally durable dating back to high school. Team captain. Will be a 21-year-old rookie.

Weaknesses
Size is just adequate -- is small-framed and lacks ideal length and bulk. Vulnerable to the jam and reroute. Relatively small catch radius. Has small hands and double-catches some throws. Lacks elite, blazing speed to run by NFL corners and safeties. Will struggle to play "above the rim" at the next level. Was not an impactful punt returner. Limited run strength. Poor blocker.

Bottom Line

Short, speedy, nifty-footed receiver who was unaffected by the departure of Steelers 2013 third-rounder Markus Wheaton, establishing himself as a playmaker in his own right by leading the nation with 133 yards per contest as a junior. Projects as a useful slot receiver with run-after-catch ability and some utility as an outside receiver.

Brandin Cooks: I can do it like DeSean Jackson and do it better
Posted by Josh Alper on April 3, 2014

d74cfcc3c240cdeb914f67994f6ae97e-e1396538692257.jpeg
Getty Images

Now that DeSean Jackson is officially a member of the Redskins, one of the questions to ponder is what the Eagles will do to replace his production in their offense.

The arrival of Darren Sproles in a trade with the Saints and the return of Jeremy Maclinfrom a torn ACL should both be part of the plan, but the team will also have a chance to address the receiver position during the draft. Adam Caplan of ESPN reports that Texas A&M’s Mike Evans is on the radar, although Philly would likely have to trade up to land him, along with Oregon State’s Brandin Cooks.

At 5-10 and 189 pounds, Cooks has a similar frame to Jackson and he’s expected to come off the board somewhere around the 22nd overall pick owned by the Eagles. Should Philly decide to go in that direction, Cooks says they’ll be getting what they lost in Jackson and more.

“His game is unbelievable,” Cooks said, via Jimmy Kempski of Philly.com. “The man can blow the top off, catch the deep routes, catch the underneath routes, produce in the return game. He’s just special. He’s a freak. I definitely admire his game. Maybe Chip Kelly is looking to take another speedy receiver in that first round, and that could be me. Who knows? And if that’s the case, a lot of people will wonder ‘Can he do it like DeSean Jackson?’ In my opinion, I can do it like him and do it better.”

Clemson’s Sammy Watkins is widely regarded as the top receiver in the draft with Evans also expected to go early in the first round. Cooks, USC’s Marqise Leeand LSU’s Odell Beckham are the next three receivers on most lists and the Eagles should have a chance to grab one of them to help fill the void left by Jackson once May rolls around.

F. Mulder

Starter
I love a guy like this in the right round. I actually think the Rams are telling the truth; assuming they pass on Watkins they look for: A) a WR who slides for whatever reason (Lee?), (Evans?) or just grabs someone in the 3-4th round range who has a 2nd round type grade on them, and see what happens. To me Cook is a playmaker. He may not be an every down player and has weaknesses but we need guys who can change a game based on a play or three.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
I love how the same article says both: "Lacks elite, blazing speed to run by NFL corners and safeties." and then also says "4.33 40-yard dash"
Some great analysis there :ROFLMAO::D

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I love how the same article says both: "Lacks elite, blazing speed to run by NFL corners and safeties." and then also says "4.33 40-yard dash"
I noticed that too. What does he need to run to have "elite, blazing speed"?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Exactly.

BTW - I watched Cooks play a lot. I think he will be a good pro. I can't see him as a fit here as he would be yet another speedy midget. I think we have an abundance of them.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
Exactly.

BTW - I watched Cooks play a lot. I think he will be a good pro. I can't see him as a fit here as he would be yet another speedy midget. I think we have an abundance of them.
Agreed, i like him, but he can't offer anything more than what Tavon already gives us.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Exactly.

OK, but long speed is different. Maybe, because of short legs, his top speed isn't as fast as a 6'2" corner who posts a 4.5 40.

And, I like Cooks, the kid can play, and plays fast. Much like Tavon.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
OK, but long speed is different. Maybe, because of short legs, his top speed isn't as fast as a 6'2" corner who posts a 4.5 40.

And, I like Cooks, the kid can play, and plays fast. Much like Tavon.

Good point ,watching video on Kenny Britt he seemed to have a "top end" speed that was pretty impressive