Brandin Cooks to Rams for a 1st: blockbuster

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I'm guessing here...only a guess...that Mangini had a winning record and went to the playoffs...with Cleveland....just like Belichick.....of course, correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah and he’s also been outta the nfl since 2013

Wonder why?

“C’mon man”

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Eric Mangini was the TE coach and DC for the 49ers from 2014-2015. His only playoff game as head coach was with the Jets when he lost to the Patriots in a Wild Card game in 2006. He went 10-22 with the Browns and is 33-47 overall as a head coach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Mangini#San_Francisco_49ers

Belichick hates Mangini, so he has that going for him.

"Mangini told Jets security to keep an eye on the Patriots' sideline, where they were illegally videotaping opponents' signals.

The Jets informed the NFL and, sure enough, the Patriots got busted during the game.

So began one of the biggest scandals in NFL history. Ultimately, Belichick was fined heavily and the Patriots were docked a first-round draft pick."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ing-reconcile-bill-belichick-10-years-spygate

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Eric Mangini was the TE coach and DC for the 49ers from 2014-2015. His only playoff game as head coach was with the Jets when he lost to the Patriots in a Wild Card game in 2006. He went 10-22 with the Browns and is 33-47 overall as a head coach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Mangini#San_Francisco_49ers

Belichick hates Mangini, so he has that going for him.

"Mangini told Jets security to keep an eye on the Patriots' sideline, where they were illegally videotaping opponents' signals.

The Jets informed the NFL and, sure enough, the Patriots got busted during the game.

So began one of the biggest scandals in NFL history. Ultimately, Belichick was fined heavily and the Patriots were docked a first-round draft pick."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ing-reconcile-bill-belichick-10-years-spygate
Not sure I’d be quoting wiki as fact, but I was guilty of winging it

That being said, he is clearly as out of the NFL as Colin Kaepernicus

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I'm guessing here...only a guess...that Mangini had a winning record and went to the playoffs...with Cleveland....just like Belichick.....of course, correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah no. Mangini was 5-11 both seasons in Cleveland. BB was 36-44 in 5 seasons in Cleveland. Wrong on both accounts nice try though :) Silly man thinking a Browns head coach that got fired had a winning record, twice even!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I new yall would catch me....
Yeah and he’s also been outta the nfl since 2013

Wonder why?

“C’mon man”
Guys not ALL bad....but obviously...my opinion....

I thought he had a winning record in Cleveland...think the best he did was win 4 games straight at the end of 2009...
He did have Brady Quinn, Ryan Anderson (son of Ken??)...Senneca Wallace...oh oh, and Colt McCoy....
think they drafted Peyton Hillis...bad ass FB...but

poorly performing team...esp. offensively..
He went 10-22 with the Browns and is 33-47 overall as a head coach.
Yep.....so...another guess, he must have went to the playoffs with the Jets.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

so i just read that last year the pats traded a 1st and a 3rd for cooks and a 4th.

they just traded cooks and a 4th for a 1st and a 6th.

the net result is they had cooks for a year for a cost of a 3rd round pick. 6th round pick is negligible

just a little better value than the rams using a 2nd for a year of watkins. difference is the rams are gonna get a 3rd back.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

And, he is out of work. I guess you missed that detail.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

so i just read that last year the pats traded a 1st and a 3rd for cooks and a 4th.

they just traded cooks and a 4th for a 1st and a 6th.

the net result is they had cooks for a year for a cost of a 3rd round pick. 6th round pick is negligible

just a little better value than the rams using a 2nd for a year of watkins. difference is the rams are gonna get a 3rd back.

The first they sent to NO was a 30. The first they got back was a 23. What’s the value diff between 23 and 30?

They basically got him for cash and a slight overall upgrade in net draft position. Then again, Coach B hasn5 drafted too well lately, so maybe the picks aren’t the issue.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Neither had a winning record as a coach and BB had 1 year in the playoffs :)
I guess....Neither had an overall winning record in Cleveland....

Bill B did go to the playoffs....but we're talking about Mangini...

I still think he's a decent coach....

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
View attachment 24508

I've read through this entire thread(okay so its my job) but anyway yeah i'm going to step away from my moderator role for 5 minutes just to get this out of my system.

Tough crowd, or should i say tough crowd when everything isn't perfectly ideal in the football world of business and talent acquisition.
Geezus folks, It's ONE first round pick. And we got a 4th back, lol.
You'd think that draft picks were golden eggs filled with All pro's. This team has had nothing but draft picks for the last 5 years, draft picks coming out of our ass.

This team is LOADED right NOW. Loaded on offense. Returning 10 of 11 starters and adding a stud like Cooks to the #1 offense in 2017. Loaded on special teams. Loaded on probably the best defensive front and secondary in the league. Loaded everywhere except....LB, and maybe OLine depth, a "superstar TE" [eye roll] and a backup hair stylist for Snead and blah blah blah.

Come on! The Rams haven't won a playoff game in like 13 years and we're worried about having picks and depth five years from now? Crazy perspective loss IMO.

"Ah man...what are we gonna do now? What if we can't re-sign Cooks? What if it's too much money? We aren't loaded at LB and we have no 1st or 2nd rd pick. We're freaked!"
View attachment 24510

Okay, back to my neutral role. Proceed.
I do think i'll post a poll tomorrow though.

Step out more often, though I fail to see any conflict between your position as a mod and your (dead on) opinion.

(Besides, @RamFan503 goes after helpless old men all the time, and no one busts him).

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He kind of lit up when she asked about Kupp and Woods, didn't he.
He sure did. Man I can't wait to see the three of them on the field with Gurley coming out of the back field. Holy crap! And if the TEs can add to that? Holy FUCK!!!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
per shefty

freak this
Thought this was a good time to drag out this thread. Also add this from another one.
Some comments from Patriots fans.
https://www.patsfans.com/new-englan...s-traded-to-rams-for-23-overall-pick.1144136/

Cooks traded to Rams for 23 overall pick

We just robbed the Rams. Robbery. We basically got out of jail free card with that odd trade from last year. Cooks is a solid player but not a #1 WR nor a player that can consistently beat man coverage.
------------
I didn’t expect this to happen because it didn’t make any sense for his value to be higher on $8M/1yr than $10M/2yrs. Somehow, his value went up.
-----------
Doesn't surprise me. Liked Cooks for what he brought to the table, but Brady has always got it done no matter who he was throwing to.
-----------
Getting a first round pick back makes this a no brainer, Cooks was a good player but he's not a game changer.
-------------
Cooks was non-elite WR who wasn't worth what he was going to get paid come around to that viewpoint now.
-----------
It was inevitable because of his contract looming. I have to be honest, I'll truly miss having Cooks in this offense. He's an unselfish player that changed the way this offense operated for a year. That being said, the value of this deal is simply extraordinary.
-------------
This team needs defense, we need pass rush, something we lacked big time! We couldn’t get a sack to save our lives in the Sb. This year picks should be to fix our defense.
------------
Elite deep threat and a great guy. Although outside of the deep ball, I was very underwhelmed with him as a WR. Mainly regarding his ability after the catch.
-------------
I think we've got Sammy Watkins to thank for that. He leaves, Rams have a hole in their roster and cap space burning a hole in their pocket, and then they panic their way into making the exact same mistake they made last offseason.

I like McVay and I like the Rams in general, but if Cooks leaves this offseason and they end up with nothing to show for the 2017 2nd and 2018 1st that they traded for WRs, it'll be one of the funnier roster blunders of the last couple years.
--------------
I liked Cooks more than most, but the first and the 8.5 mil makes this one easy to swallow.
------------
Wow....they must be confident in the WR's we have or really like someone in the draft or will trade for someone else.
-------------
I really liked Cooks, his bizarre Super Bowl notwithstanding, and I argued against trading him (when some suggested getting a 2nd), but this trade is a no brainer. WR contracts are out of control. 23rd overall is amazing value for a WR with only a year left under contract. The cap relief is no small thing, either.
-----------
I was okay with Cooks I just never believed Belichick would pay the $14-$16m it would cost to keep him past next year which made the 1 the Pats gave up to rent him seem like a high price to pay. Now coughing up #32 last year suddenly looks like a pretty damn good trade.

The Rams are obviously going after it hard to get those PSL's sold.
-------------
I can’t say that Im thrilled about the Cooks trade because I liked how he seemed to pick up the offense. That said, Im glad they received a 1st for him.
----------
I liked Cooks a lot but he did some things that were maddening, like the ill-fated hurdle attempt and running backwards in the Super Bowl. He was a top-tier WR2, not a WR1, but he'll be paid like a WR1. The Patriots got a solid year out of him and actually returned a higher pick than they lost.
-----------
tom's job gets even harder. BB only does this because tb12 is the QB.
----------
I think the trade is really simply about this: Belichick knows he won a SB with Edelman, Hogan, Amendola and Mitchell as his main WRs who covered all parts of the field decently enough. Cooks was a nice extra upgrade when he was cheap. But he didn't offer enough to warrant keeping around when he wasn't cheap.
------------
The Patriots don't make the Super Bowl without Cooks. That trade ultimately saved the season once Edelman went down.

The trade itself is brilliant. Cooks was going to command $13M+ in free agency, and there is no way we were going to pay him that money.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Brandin's impact on this offense is insane. To think people wanted Sammy over Cooks is incredible to me.

I think by week 5 or 6, Goff and Cooks will be in much better sync on the go routes. His speed is so elite we should be hitting at least 1-2 over the top every week. It's frustrating that Goff's deep passing was so good at Cal but not as consistent yet in the pros. I'm thinking he'll improve there and when they're on the same page watch out. Cooks could be around 1,300-1,400 yards this year.