Bradley Fletcher ... the good and the bad

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Signature Stats: YPCS – Cornerbacks

Michael Renner | 2013/01/31
<a class="postlink" href="https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/31/signature-stats-ypcs-cornerbacks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... rnerbacks/</a>

The cornerback position is one of the toughest to evaluate in the NFL based on a box score. The only meaningful statistic they can garner is an interception, and even then you can’t tell if the corner made a good play or the quarterback made a horrible one.

Since we track cornerbacks just like wide receivers we are able to provide far more meaningful coverage statistics. We just looked at Yards Per Route Run for receivers, so today we’ll look at the complementary stat, Yards Per Coverage Snap (YPCS). YPCS helps a lot with comparing base corners and nickel corners because it accounts for the vast differences in snap totals. Let’s see the notable performers.

Benched Nickel Shines

I would venture to guess that not many football fans have even heard of the leader in YPCS this season, and I don’t blame them. Bradley Fletcher was the Rams’ nickelback for nine games this season and then played only 20 snaps after Week 10. No, Fletcher wasn’t hurt, he was benched. Two weeks after his three third-down pass interference penalties against the Patriots Fletcher ceded his job to rookie Trumaine Johnson. Fletcher’s coverage stats were superb. He had the league’s second-best coverage snaps per reception, allowed a catch rate of 47%, and had a quarterback rating against of 55.8. After Fletcher’s six penalties in four games in 2010 though, it was clear he had a problem that needed to be fixed, and his five penalties in 264 coverage snaps this season showed that he never fixed it.

JEL652G.png

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I wonder how many of those "penalties" were legit. Even if they were, this guy has shown he has the skills to be a starter in this league IMO. Not sure you let a guy like that go considering how valuable that position is today. I wonder if something else is going on with him....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Faceplant said:
I wonder how many of those "penalties" were legit. Even if they were, this guy has shown he has the skills to be a starter in this league IMO. Not sure you let a guy like that go considering how valuable that position is today. I wonder if something else is going on with him....
Evidently he has a habit of grabbing & holding that has been around since 2010 and he hasn't shaken that habit (yet). All that means to me is that he plays real tight coverage, but doesn't know how to disguise it or let go early enough. And I don't think anyone ever thought he was a bad corner. Just injured a bit.

He's a UFA this year, so you gotta wonder what kind of money he's looking for, or if Fisher even has the patience to wait & see if he can reduce his tendency to commit penalties. Anyway, I'd sure like it if he came back. That's a sick rotation with Finnegan, Jenkins, Johnson & Fletcher. Now all we need is a couple of badass safeties.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
X said:
Anyway, I'd sure like it if he came back. That's a sick rotation with Finnegan, Jenkins, Johnson & Fletcher. Now all we need is a couple of badass safeties.

Boom. With our inju...errr, ummmm history of health at that position, it sure would be nice to have that depth as well.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Faceplant said:
X said:
Anyway, I'd sure like it if he came back. That's a sick rotation with Finnegan, Jenkins, Johnson & Fletcher. Now all we need is a couple of badass safeties.

Boom. With our inju...errr, ummmm history of health at that position, it sure would be nice to have that depth as well.

And OTs.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
He just had a bad game against NE with the calls (some were ticky tacky). But other than that he was very stout all year. I was very pissed that Fisher and company benched Fletcher. He was clearly still much better than Tru and did not deserve to be thrown aside. Johnson had a VERY bad game against NYJ in his first real game of PT. Luckily Johnson started to play encouraging football to finish the season. Playing very well the final 3 weeks.

Still I dont like how Fletcher got thrown aside like that. He will likely not be back even though he would be relatively cheap.

Got respect for the player though, very good CB. Starting caliber.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
biggame1190 said:
He just had a bad game against NE with the calls (some were ticky tacky). But other than that he was very stout all year. I was very pissed that Fisher and company benched Fletcher. He was clearly still much better than Tru and did not deserve to be thrown aside. Johnson had a VERY bad game against NYJ in his first real game of PT. Luckily Johnson started to play encouraging football to finish the season. Playing very well the final 3 weeks.

Still I dont like how Fletcher got thrown aside like that. He will likely not be back even though he would be relatively cheap.

Got respect for the player though, very good CB. Starting caliber.
On every one of those PIs, Branch jumped out of his skin, as if the call should be obvious. Like they saw something in film and thought they could exploit it and the refs. I still think the flags came out because it was Branch and the Patriots. I'll grant them one, but not the first one.

F. Mulder

Starter
I like him a lot but think the Rams see him as either a dime or expendable while some other team will sign him as a nickel at the least.

Me personally, I'd keep him at the right price. However, I think the Rams see him as good as gone.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
If Fletcher can stay healthy he will be a steal for whoever signs him. One of the better cover corners in the league when healthy.