Bradford's legacy: play design?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I find this quote by Sam interesting:

"Very quarterback-friendly. The ball’s getting out quick, always places to go with the ball. If you’re getting heated up, there’s a place to go with it, always."

I also recall reading a quote from Sam somewhere else about how in that offense a QB won't be left holding the ball or somesuch, but cannot find it. Anyway...

When Fish was interviewed on that fateful day he and Snead blew smoke up JT's skirt, he mentioned that Sam "had very strong opinions" on the way forward with the offense, and I paraphrase here. And that he went on to say that Sam's buy-in on the offensive coordinator was key. Which I do believe to be the case.

Why would I believe that? Because I think Fish is at his wit's end with the offense. He has said they need to score more points. He has made roster adjustments to include more looks by explosive players. But the explosive plays haven't been there even when Sam was healthy. And Fish knows that he's not an offensive mind, he knows his limitations and realizes that the offense needs to be fixed.

So what I'm kicking around here is that while Fish picked Sam's brain he had to have encountered some of Sam's biggest complaints mixed in among his "strong opinions." We'll never know of course because Sam is too classy to complain, but after reading his comments above it makes me think that Sam didn't feel that was the case with the Rams offense. And I think Sam's exit interview is going to benefit this offense at least for next year in the form of play design under Cigs.

Lastly, I'm sure it can be argued that his comments could be intended towards talent getting open. But I just don't take them that way. Curious what you guys think here, am I reading too much into it?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The more interesting thing I read that Bradford said was, "Everything goes through the quarterback."
He said that like he was finally getting control of the situation. Though, like you, I could be reading too much into that.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I agree totally. I think Schotty left the QB holding the rock. We went from dink and dunk to what the funk?

I think Fisher valued Sam's insights even as the business side of football necessitated a move.

Foles and the entire O should benefit from that insight.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The more interesting thing I read that Bradford said was, "Everything goes through the quarterback."
He said that like he was finally getting control of the situation. Though, like you, I could be reading too much into that.

Well that's a good point. Remember Cigs did let it slip that he felt Schotty was too much into his chili bowl when he said he'd let the QB coach do his job (paraphrasing again here obviously). Not trying to light Schotty on fire here, either. I have never had faith in the guy that you and some others do, but even with the Rams' tight-lipped tendency to tow the party line I think we're seeing some hints on what the perceived problems were from the interior along with how they might be looking ahead.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i think he may have been referencing the mcdouche offense. seriously every single completion was a chore for him as the season went on.

jjab360

Legend
Sounds like the guy who said Bradford saying he was excited to be in Philly means he hated St. Louis. One thing doesn't necessarily mean the other. And even if he did, who cares? It's time to move on, imo.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I really don't care what Sam says at this point. He seems like he wanted to go somewhere else for whatever reason. I don't put much into his perception of the Rams offense either because he hasn't been in it for two years and for other reasons that I won't go into because I don't want to offend some people's sensitivities.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
I find this quote by Sam interesting:

"Very quarterback-friendly. The ball’s getting out quick, always places to go with the ball. If you’re getting heated up, there’s a place to go with it, always."

I also recall reading a quote from Sam somewhere else about how in that offense a QB won't be left holding the ball or somesuch, but cannot find it. Anyway...

When Fish was interviewed on that fateful day he and Snead blew smoke up JT's skirt, he mentioned that Sam "had very strong opinions" on the way forward with the offense, and I paraphrase here. And that he went on to say that Sam's buy-in on the offensive coordinator was key. Which I do believe to be the case.

Why would I believe that? Because I think Fish is at his wit's end with the offense. He has said they need to score more points. He has made roster adjustments to include more looks by explosive players. But the explosive plays haven't been there even when Sam was healthy. And Fish knows that he's not an offensive mind, he knows his limitations and realizes that the offense needs to be fixed.

So what I'm kicking around here is that while Fish picked Sam's brain he had to have encountered some of Sam's biggest complaints mixed in among his "strong opinions." We'll never know of course because Sam is too classy to complain, but after reading his comments above it makes me think that Sam didn't feel that was the case with the Rams offense. And I think Sam's exit interview is going to benefit this offense at least for next year in the form of play design under Cigs.

Lastly, I'm sure it can be argued that his comments could be intended towards talent getting open. But I just don't take them that way. Curious what you guys think here, am I reading too much into it?

I know what you're talking about. When he said it I thought the same thing.

Did he feel like a guy on an island with nowhere to go?

Certainly they had checkdowns but maybe the design was flawed for some things in terms of what he was seeing.

I don't guess he will expand on those thoughts at all. In any case, we'll see what happens now. New QB. New OC. Same HC. We'll see.

ram007

Starter
If schotty was the problem, Rams promoted his assistant to OC. :bow:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If schotty was the problem, Rams promoted his assistant to OC. :bow:

I have more confidence in Frank Cignetti, plus Cig stated he will leave the Quarterbacks alone and leave that to QB Coach Chris Weinke. IMO, the Rams will be much better offensively with Foles, Cig & Weinke.

Also for the record the offense runs much better when the Quarterback who supposed to be running it is actually on the field.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I really don't care what Sam says at this point. He seems like he wanted to go somewhere else for whatever reason. I don't put much into his perception of the Rams offense either because he hasn't been in it for two years and for other reasons that I won't go into because I don't want to offend some people's sensitivities.

No worries. Your Avatar's got that covered. :rockon:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Sam is a very smart guy. He has never really "said" anything in an interview. All generalities... that's all he ever gives. He knows how to play the media game.

There's nothing there to read into... it's all the same fluff we've been hearing for years with Sam.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also for the record the offense runs much better when the Quarterback who supposed to be running it is actually on the field.

That pretty much sums up everything about the rams offense for the last 25 games.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
All I know is Bradford bought into everything he was asked to. Played behind terrible make shift line after make shift line. Had sub-par wide receivers to throw to. Was constantly bashed by the media. Is it really that big of a wonder IF he wanted to move on.

And yet he remained a class act till the end.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All I know is Bradford bought into everything he was asked to. Played behind terrible make shift line after make shift line. Had sub-par wide receivers to throw to. Was constantly bashed by the media. Is it really that big of a wonder IF he wanted to move on.

And yet he remained a class act till the end.
He wasn't bashed by the media.
If anything he was treated with kid gloves.
He had better play well in Philly, or he will find out what bashing is all about.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
He wasn't bashed by the media.
If anything he was treated with kid gloves.
He had better play well in Philly, or he will find out what bashing is all about.

My foot he wasn't. The Post Dispatch guys were nicey nice about him because they were paid to. The national media always had something to say about him. (I will not debate this, because.)

You're choosing to overlook the overall point of my post which is, Bradford had plenty of reasons to want to move to another team, and even be frustrated with the way things played out in St.Louis. He's not trashing the team, but yet people are reaching and over analyzing some statements from a press conference. Of course there are some hard feelings.

And don't come at me with "He better play well in Philly because..." You don't think I know that the Philadelphia fans or complete douches? What's your point with this statement? Once again, it has nothing to do with the point that I was making in my post.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My foot he wasn't. The Post Dispatch guys were nicey nice about him because they were paid to. The national media always had something to say about him. (I will not debate this, because.)

You're choosing to overlook the overall point of my post which is, Bradford had plenty of reasons to want to move to another team, and even be frustrated with the way things played out in St.Louis. He's not trashing the team, but yet people are reaching and over analyzing some statements from a press conference. Of course there are some hard feelings.

And don't come at me with "He better play well in Philly because..." You don't think I know that the Philadelphia fans or complete douches? What's your point with this statement? Once again, it has nothing to do with the point that I was making in my post.
The St Louis media is nowhere near as rough as philly or NY.
Philly boo'd Donovan McNabb during his pro bowl years, Eli Manning goes from hero to zero on an annual basis.
Sam hasn't seen bashing.
That's my point.
Heck the national media doesn't even talk about the Rams

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
You cherry picked one word out of my post to tell me something I already know. And it was irrelevant to the point I was making. That's my point.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I think you are, because every O is "everything goes through the QB".