Bradford's Future with the Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
I don't give two shits about how good a player is if he can't stay healthy. I really did believe in him this year but now I'm just annoyed that he went down again and crushed all our hopes.

All I have to say is let's rally around the next guy up and thank god we didn't give Bradford a contract.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I honestly don't think he's done as a Ram. At least for next season.

The only way Sam is gone is if...

a.) A Peyton Manning situation happens again (Eli? Ben?).

b.) The team is so terrible Jeff Fisher and Les Snead get fired and the new guys get rid of him.

I wouldn't be opposed to option A, and option B isn't likely. The team has too much talent in most every spot to be a 0 to 4 win team.

He'd still have a pretty big cap hit if he were to be cut now or then as well.

We'll see what happens. It's way too early to speculate.

Vince15

I honestly don't think he's done as a Ram. At least for next season.

The only way Sam is gone is if...

a.) A Peyton Manning situation happens again (Eli? Ben?).

b.) The team is so terrible Jeff Fisher and Les Snead get fired and the new guys get rid of him.

I wouldn't be opposed to option A, and option B isn't likely. The team has too much talent in most every spot to be a 0 to 4 win team.

He'd still have a pretty big cap hit if he were to be cut now or then as well.

We'll see what happens. It's way too early to speculate.
It comes down to the contract. No way a team can pay a guy that much to sit on injured reserve. Dude's going to be coming off back-to-back ACL injuries. Vet minimum, incentive based deals are all he's got left for a while.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
At this point its time to start looking and considering other options. Nobody wants to have another Bulger situation where we sit on our hands waiting around for him for 9 years before doing something. I like Bradford and want him to succeed, but at some point he needs to stay in to warrant being the guy with no answer around if he isn't.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I'd keep him through his final year so he can mentor the back ups.

Marshall Faulk liked Austin Davis, I hope to God he's onto something. Davis played well last night, Hill did too.

What would be the point? You mean 12+ million as mentor? I think not.

In fact, if I had a GM who would consider holding onto a $$$ year QB that couldn't stay on the field and now has back to back ACL's on the same knee....I'd terminate him!!

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
One possible scenario, is we cut Bradford and save some money on the salary cap this year. There will still be some dead money on next years as well. But, we could explain all that to Bradford, and offer him a small one year contract next season if he wants to come back and happens to stay healthy. I think he would do that for the Rams just to get a chance to play again.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
What would be the point? You mean 12+ million as mentor? I think not.

In fact, if I had a GM who would consider holding onto a $$$ year QB that couldn't stay on the field and now has back to back ACL's on the same knee....I'd terminate him!!

Pay cut?

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Looks like next year is his last.

Well, if I'm the Rams I'm not so sure I don't start looking at other options at this point.
Can't believe I'm posting this....

If Bradford's around next season, I'll be amazed. By next season, he will be another year away from a sound knee, just as numnuts III was, if that's even possible. Think about this, he'll have had 8 or 9 weeks more healing than this season, would YOU put him out there next year again? Like it or not, IMO, he's 2 years away from seeing the field at this point, unless he has a death wish.

V3

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I just can't cut him.

I still would have picked Robinson and Donald, though. I wouldn't have changed anything about the draft.

If Hill can stay clean and build chemistry with Quick and Britt, he could be every bit as good as Alex Smith. I do beleive it.

I would have taken the trade offer from Buffalo in a second. I always wanted to trade down for an extra first next year precisely for this very reason; insurance for if Bradford doesn't pan out or gets injured again. They put all their eggs in one basket and it backfired.

SWMO Fan

UDFA
Name
Mike
In my opinion, Bradford is done in St Louis and probably the NFL. Either he is fragile; or Fisher brought him back too soon and didn't allow time for the injury to completely heal. When he went down last night it wasn't that big of a hit (much like last season's injury). Fisher gambled and hitched his wagon to Sam and he lost - it's as simple as that. I was one of the few that believed we should have drafted a QB (as insurance) in the 1st or 2nd round. Jeff rolled the dice and it didn't work out. Time for all of us to rally behind Hill and Davis (and even Gilbert for that matter).

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
In my opinion, Bradford is done in St Louis and probably the NFL. Either he is fragile; or Fisher brought him back too soon and didn't allow time for the injury to completely heal. When he went down last night it wasn't that big of a hit (much like last season's injury). Fisher gambled and hitched his wagon to Sam and he lost - it's as simple as that. I was one of the few that believed we should have drafted a QB (as insurance) in the 1st or 2nd round. Jeff rolled the dice and it didn't work out. Time for all of us to rally behind Hill and Davis (and even Gilbert for that matter).

Faulk likes Davis, but I don't know as a starter.

"I do beleive there is a place for him in this league."

ShaneFalco

i dont want to get rid of him. Maybe ask for a huge paycut, and try to keep him on as he rehabs.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I think he's done with us. There's no way he's coming back. It'd be best for the team and sam to move on from each other at this point...

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
i dont want to get rid of him. Maybe ask for a huge paycut, and try to keep him on as he rehabs.

I don't want to see the Rams get rid of him either (I have been a huge Bradford supporter since the Rams drafted him) but this is still a business and I am not sure how the Rams can justify paying Bradford his salary this season and next when there are so many doubts about him ever playing for the Rams or any NFL team again. Even, if he does play again (And, I certainly hope he does!) I am guessing the Owner, GM, Coaches, Fans, etc are going to be a "Little" nervous everytime he gets hit. As much as I hate to say it if Bradford is going to miss this season (and, I guess that is the case unless everyone is getting some really bad information!) then I think the Rams need to move on and use whatever salary cap savings they get by releasing Bradford to sign another QB (if, that is the route they plan on taking) and possibly use that salary cap savings in some other needed areas that can hopefully help strengthen the overall team. I HATE Bradford (or, anyone) got injured but I am still optimistic about the Rams upcoming season! Fisher and Snead have put together a very strong roster (Great Defense & Should be a very strong Running Game) and I personally think the Rams will win a lot of games this year (Unfortunately, they still have the Seahawks & 49's in their Division but they both can be beat!).

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
It comes down to the contract. No way a team can pay a guy that much to sit on injured reserve. Dude's going to be coming off back-to-back ACL injuries. Vet minimum, incentive based deals are all he's got left for a while.

He's getting paid regardless with his current contract.

Either on IR or if thet cut him now via dead money (whatever he's guaranteed).

Vince15

He's getting paid regardless with his current contract.

Either on IR or if thet cut him now via dead money (whatever he's guaranteed).
He's got a guaranteed contract through the end of his rookie deal? That doesn't seem right. If the Rams are on the hook for $16M for Bradford next year regardless of whether he's healthy or plays, then someone's made a big error.