Bradford "wont take" paycut

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Why would he

The quick answer is this..........

If the Rams cut him before he is cleared medically to play (which is possible) he would be nearly radioactive to any GM's with an IQ above room temperature. And any teams that may take a flier on him aren't going to pay more than a few mil a year and the contract will be easy for them to shed if he doesn't live up to even modest expectations.

Right now it may be a high stakes game of chicken that we can't see. But of course we've no idea what is happening behind the scenes.

The "he needs to take a pay cut" and the "he won't take a pay cut" sides may have to sit down in a conference room and discuss wiggle room IMO. :D

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

If the Rams cut him before he is cleared medically to play (which is possible) he would be nearly radioactive to any GM's with an IQ above room temperature. And any teams that may take a flier on him aren't going to pay more than a few mil a year and the contract will be easy for them to shed if he doesn't live up to even modest expectations.

Right now it may be a high stakes game of chicken that we can't see. But of course we've no idea what is happening behind the scenes.

The "he needs to take a pay cut" and the "he won't take a pay cut" sides may have to sit down in a conference room and discuss wiggle room IMO. :D

I'm on both sides, actually.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I disagree yamadudester. That would only apply if you had a starter that can't stay on the field and most of the playoff type teams don't have that problem. In fact if your staerter missed 2-3 games you're likely not in the mix after the regular season ends anyway.
How many teams over the last few years would have been playoff teams if they could have one 2 of those 3 games.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

And we'd be incredibly fortunate to land RG3 or Jay Cutler in the aftermath. Neither are better than Bradford. Fisher doesn't do things like this.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
It's not so much that I worry about the contracts as it is just keeping track of how much room we have left to make moves. If we didn't have the room, we couldn't get one of the top OC's in FA. I'd honestly like to get a top OC and OG in FA but I don't know if we'll have enough cap room to do that. That's all I use it for; just to gauge what moves can realistically be made.

W/o getting into a FA debate, the Rams in the past have. With Sam's contract and the rest of the contracts they've made.

There's no reason to think they can't do it again. If they even want to.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
That would definitely be an interesting solution. I think Garoppolo could be a very good QB, I guess the only issue I would have with this suggestion would be that I have already seen a LOT of things that I like from Sam, both on and off the field, whereas with Garoppolo, as much as people seem to like him, how do we know he doesn't end up another Ryan Mallett? He just hasn't shown enough in the NFL to convince me otherwise yet. Unlikely maybe, but would you want to take the chance given we already know that Sam can succeed in the NFL?
I know health is a major concern but if he went somewhere else and had success, I don't know how I would feel about that.

I'd be gutted, because I can see him winning a SB ring, I'm just VERY concerned about that knee, so much so that I'm willing to look at other QBs to run with our Offense - Sanchez, Locker, Garappolo etc

BuZzB33

UDFA
Name
BuZzb33
If we are trade to Sam bradford then we don't have a quarterback! So we need give him chance time for one final year!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wish we could get 2 first round picks for Bradford. I think Bradford at best gets a late 3rd rounder. He is not worth to any teams other than Rams.
I'd do an Irish Jig in the parking lot if they could get a 3rd Rounder for him. That would be over paying for sure, but I'd gladly take it.

V3

Hall of Fame
If we are trade to Sam bradford then we don't have a quarterback! So we need give him chance time for one final year!
That's exactly why the Rams have zero leverage. If Bradford doesn't want to take a pay cut, he doesn't have to because the Rams can't/won't cut him or trade him.

ram007

Starter
That's exactly why the Rams have zero leverage. If Bradford doesn't want to take a pay cut, he doesn't have to because the Rams can't/won't cut him or trade him.

I was harping on this since February. Rams best bet is pay Bradford this year and draft a QB in first or second round. If bradford is healthy, Rams win this year and next year too. If Bradford fails, you move on next year and still have a drafted QB this year and may be a FA. This is a no brainier.

Oh, Bradford is no saint like this board makes him out to be. I don't have a problem with it. He should get paid $12.5 million since Rams screwed up not him.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I was harping on this since February. Rams best bet is pay Bradford this year and draft a QB in first or second round. If bradford is healthy, Rams win this year and next year too. If Bradford fails, you move on next year and still have a drafted QB this year and may be a FA. This is a no brainier.

Oh, Bradford is no saint like this board makes him out to be. I don't have a problem with it. He should get paid $12.5 million since Rams screwed up not him.
I don't even know what this means. Do you know the man?

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
Bradford will likely restructure for an extra year, but he will get all the money he's still owed this year spread out as guaranteed money over 2 years (with maybe an extra 1/2 to 1 million). They may spread it unevenly so they take a bigger hit this year, yet still have enough $$ to sign FA OL, etc., but minimize the cap hit next year if Bradford is injured again. Then they will likely put in roster bonuses in so that if he is still active roster (non-IR) after x games he gets more, after y games even more, etc. So that if he stays healthy through 2 seasons he'll get paid like an average NFL starting QB. Then they may add performance bonuses that could take him to 18-20 million per if reached. If he will not agree to something reasonable like this, then I can see the Rams going a different direction. If they feel good enough about the alternative options they can obtain (FA/trade/draft) they I can see the Rams cutting Bradford. It's a 2-way street. Bradford certainly doesn't have all the leverage and can be cut. It's unlikely but possible.

Ltrautman

MIZ
Bradford will likely restructure for an extra year, but he will get all the money he's still owed this year spread out as guaranteed money over 2 years (with maybe an extra 1/2 to 1 million). They may spread it unevenly so they take a bigger hit this year, yet still have enough $$ to sign FA OL, etc., but minimize the cap hit next year if Bradford is injured again. Then they will likely put in roster bonuses in so that if he is still active roster (non-IR) after x games he gets more, after y games even more, etc. So that if he stays healthy through 2 seasons he'll get paid like an average NFL starting QB. Then they may add performance bonuses that could take him to 18-20 million per if reached. If he will not agree to something reasonable like this, then I can see the Rams going a different direction. If they feel good enough about the alternative options they can obtain (FA/trade/draft) they I can see the Rams cutting Bradford. It's a 2-way street. Bradford certainly doesn't have all the leverage and can be cut. It's unlikely but possible.

I really dont see Fisher letting Bradford go this year... He loves the guy too much and knows that its highly unlikely to find a viable solution through FA or the draft to replace him. As far as a trade goes the only bet would be Foles with the Eagles trying to move up, but other than that no team is gonna trade a QB who is better than Bradford