Bradford "wont take" paycut

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
If he declines to restructure, then if we do hold him to his original contract, we could easily lose key players like Brockers, three other starters on defense (Jenkins, Johnson, and Barron), one of our cogs on the defensive line (Hayes), a starting receiver (Quick), our number two running back (Cunningham), and a key special teams player and backup (Bates). And that's just talking about unrestricted free agency. We would likely have to cut players as well to keep Bradford on board with his current contract. If he declines to restructure, then I will happily trade him to a team in the AFC, against his wishes. After all, it's only business.
There's no guarantee that he stays healthy or performs well in the 2015 season, so why couldn't they just let him walk?

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's no guarantee that he stays healthy or performs well in the 2015 season, so why couldn't they just let him walk?

Because if we let him walk he will go to another team. Take that team deep into the playoffs. Win NFL MVP. And comeback player of the year. Go too the Pro Bowl. And never even strain a pinkie. Causing me to jump off a cliff.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

And if he does perform well in 2015 and asks for the moon afterwards? Or if he asks the Rams to extend his contract now and gets hurt in 2015? You don't let a quarterback that you drafted number one overall to be your quarterback of the present and future just walk away for nothing before his contract even ends, especially when there are teams lining up for him (Buffalo, Cleveland, Houston).

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

So do they tag him first, make a trade agreement and lift the tag so the team signing him does not have to pay tag amount?

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
And if he does perform well in 2015 and asks for the moon afterwards? Or if he asks the Rams to extend his contract now and gets hurt in 2015? You don't let a quarterback that you drafted number one overall to be your quarterback of the present and future just walk away for nothing before his contract even ends, especially when there are teams lining up for him (Buffalo, Cleveland, Houston).
The only way to mitigate that risk would be to extend him now, or to trade him. At this point, after two torn ACLs, I'd rather see him make it through a complete season healthy before giving him any extension.

To be honest, if a team did offer two firsts for him this year, I'd do it and never ever look back. This team can absolutely get by with a veteran QB or two from FA, we've done that two years in a row now. And I suspect we'd be better at it without having our hands tied up in Bradford's contract or planning on him starting.

At this point, this team needs to be shoring up the offensive line, and not just with vets, but youth, looking ahead to the drafting their QB of the future at some point. You can make almost anyone look good with a great offensive line.

ram007

Starter
The only way to mitigate that risk would be to extend him now, or to trade him. At this point, after two torn ACLs, I'd rather see him make it through a complete season healthy before giving him any extension.

To be honest, if a team did offer two firsts for him this year, I'd do it and never ever look back. This team can absolutely get by with a veteran QB or two from FA, we've done that two years in a row now. And I suspect we'd be better at it without having our hands tied up in Bradford's contract or planning on him starting.

At this point, this team needs to be shoring up the offensive line, and not just with vets, but youth, looking ahead to the drafting their QB of the future at some point. You can make almost anyone look good with a great offensive line.

I wish we could get 2 first round picks for Bradford. I think Bradford at best gets a late 3rd rounder. He is not worth to any teams other than Rams.

V3

Hall of Fame
The for sight on this was Zygment-ish
If you really want me to, I can dig up my post history to show you what I said. I said right after the Joyner pick that I didn't like it. X asked me for alternatives and I listed Garappolo, Matthews, and Brooks as possible alternatives I would have been happy with. Considering I said in another thread(I believe it was the thread debating whether we should think about Bridgewater) that I thought Bradford was injury prone, I probably would have leaned towards Garappolo.

So no, there is no revisionist history there. And it kinda drives me crazy whenever someone calls it "20/20 hindsight" or the like. It's not 20/20 hindsight when you said it BEFORE the event. And it's not like anyone's been proven wrong or right in this instance. Garappolo still hasn't played much. I still wish we had him over Joyner, though.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because if we let him walk he will go to another team. Take that team deep into the playoffs. Win NFL MVP. And comeback player of the year. Go too the Pro Bowl. And never even strain a pinkie. Causing me to jump off a cliff.

haha, that's always the fear.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Am I the only one that doesn't care about contract extensions and cuts?

Like, he could get traded or sign a 10 year, $150 mil deal tomorrow and it wouldn't change my mind about anything. It's out of my control whether I like it or not. It's not gonna affect me or my fandom in any way.

Getting worked up over something that's gonna happen is pointless. Especially when we don't know what is actually happening.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Or if Bradford has a good year and stays healthy but the team does not want to risk signing him to another huge contract because they don't think he will be able to stay healthy for the next 4-5 years. So if Bradford has a great year he could be worth tagging and the Rams could possibly get a first round pick for him. An additional first round pick plus the Rams first could put them into position to trade up in 2016 for a good young QB.

If Bradford never has the ACL then just resigning him is a no brainer of course.

This is where it gets interesting. I have always felt that Bradford HAS TO deal with the Rams even though many say that the Rams are the ones with no power because they don't have a QB. The Rams will find out Bradfords market value and offer him that or just above that. I don't think any team is going to offer him 12+million or even close to that. So can't the Rams just say, 'go find out what you are worth and then we will talk'...which they did pretty much. Bradford will have to take a pay cut no matter who he plays for this year. Right? And taking a deal like you suggest makes the most sense for both sides.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Am I the only one that doesn't care about contract extensions and cuts?

Like, he could get traded or sign a 10 year, $150 mil deal tomorrow and it wouldn't change my mind about anything. It's out of my control whether I like it or not. It's not gonna affect me or my fandom in any way.

Getting worked up over something that's gonna happen is pointless. Especially when we don't know what is actually happening.

That depends on personal preference. If you find this stuff interesting then yes it affects you. If you could care less and pay no attention to free agency or the draft because you don't care who is on the team, then no. My Dad likes football a lot and he never pays any mind to any offseason stuff. But he likes to watch certain teams each year. A lot of fans are like that. My wife is like that. I happen to find the inner workings of being a GM a very interesting topic and also a dream job.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Bradford won't take a pay-cut like I won't work Saturdays. Guess who's working this Saturday.

Bradford and Condon have all of the leverage. We need a quarterback worse than Josh Gordon needs rehab.

No way he takes a pay-cut.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Bradford and Condon have all of the leverage. We need a quarterback worse than Josh Gordon needs rehab.

I think he has to. I stated why above.

The Rams will find out Bradfords market value and offer him that or just above that. I don't think any team is going to offer him 12+million or even close to that. So can't the Rams just say, 'go find out what you are worth and then we will talk'...which they did pretty much. Bradford will have to take a pay cut no matter who he plays for this year. Right? And taking a deal like you suggest makes the most sense for both sides.

Nobody is going to give him 12+ million coming off of his second straight ACL. Not even the hard up for a QB Rams.

WestCoastRam

Legend

Have you considered the fact that: 1) Rams have cap space to keep him at current contract which allows them to 2) Hold him till the start of the season and then cut him when all teams have been through training camp. 3) The Rams will sign a QB (probably Hill) in FA and will prob draft a QB in the draft (who will admittedly suck).

I think you overstate that they have "all the leverage." They have a little more leverage than the Rams and that leverage shrinks the longer the league year grows.