Bradford vs Foles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Not really. I can't think of a single QB who turned a Greg Salas or Mardy Gilyard into a DeSean Jackson. It's a simple enough hypothesis to test. What have Brandon Gibson, Austin Pettis, Mardy Gilyard, Greg Salas, Danny Amendola, Keenan Burton, Danario Alexander, Daniel Fells, Mike Hoomanawanui or Mike Sims-Walker done since leaving the Rams? Lotta different QBs out there who haven't made them any better.

I actually think the opposite is just as valid. Good/great receivers can make a QB better. Where is Daunte Culpepper without Moss? Why is Brady's best season with the same guy? What happened to Bulger without Bruce and Holt? Can't tell me that Carr or Schaub were the reasons Andre Johnson is a beast. 6+ QBs have thrown at Megatron and he still keeps getting 1000 yards. Steve Young was balls when he was with Tampa, and before he got with Rice/Taylor.

The truly seasoned and elite QBs can make more out of less. There's no denying that. But it's kinda futile to get into the whole chicken/egg thing with these types of discussions. He's gone and we'll see if a different scheme, cast, and team will make him any better.
While your point is true, I think that having a middling WR corps or oline is a bs excuse for a lack of production. You mention Brady as having his greatest year with Moss. Aside from 2007 there wasn't exactly a dropoff in production with Moss or without Moss. You also mentioned Megatron, great. Perfect example, great players produce despite who's around them or in his case, who is throwing him the ball. Same with Sammy Watkins, he had a garbage Qb throwing him the ball, and somehow he still managed 6 Td's and almost 1,000 yards. Danario Alexander had his best year with the Chargers, by far, even-though he played the same amount of games. Schaub sucked even with Johnson, and Carr was abused , he was sacked 250 times in 4 years, thats about 62 times a year; good luck being productive. My main point was that great players produce despite having a great supportive talent.

tbux

Rookie
We didn't have "middling" wrs and Oline- we had bottom tier in the NFL ( I would argue the worst set of receivers) during his healthy days. in 2012 we started Gibson, Salas, and Pettis with Kendricks as the main receiving TE most of the year. Our Oline wasn't that good- neither was our D- yet we got to one game from our division and 7 wins with a very young team, with both sides of the ball in a new system. I actually think that is pretty impressive. I cant think of a QB with similar support around them, who performed better?? truly cant.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
There is nothing being said right now about Foles in camp that wasn't once said about Bradford in camp. We should take these glowing reports with a grain of salt. It's just the way things are at this stage of the season.

We have no idea what Sam did or did not do with the offense. I remember him working with the WRs in the off season and paying for their hotel rooms. I remember players and coaches saying he was the first in the building and the last out. I remember Chris Long always thinking highly of him in the locker room. And I do remember him traveling with the team when he got hurt when many players would have not. These "leadership" myths date all the way back past Bradford to Bulger. At a certain point, grown men have to play on the field without a pep talk every down from the QB. For all the coverage today's game gives, we still have no idea what's being said in locker rooms or on the sidelines. Bradford could be commanding his forces like Patton and Foles could be talking about Xbox Call of Duty, or vice versa, for all we really know. We only have facial expressions and coachspeak to go on, so I think we all tend to see what we want to see on terms of judging leadership. Myself, I never liked the huddle cheerleaders. I'm trying to concentrate on my assignments and get the play call and someone won't shut up. I don't need a pick me up, I need you to do your job. Others probably see leadership differently. JMO.
I've never read anything about Sammy being a vocal leader aside from the Jaguars game. Look it up, it's becoming prevelant now, but any search will result in a question mark about his leadership. http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/10/2/4795332/what-happened-to-sam-bradford-the-leader.
You want news on Foles as the leader read transcripts on the WR's they say it up front, and watch his Wired video on the Rams website. I get that coach/player speak is what it is, but eyes and body language says it all. Watch any game tape of Bradford, if a WR/Lineman makes a mistake, it's not how it should have been or how it could have been better, it's a head shake and a disappointed dad look; I would know about the last one..

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
We didn't have "middling" wrs and Oline- we had bottom tier in the NFL ( I would argue the worst set of receivers) during his healthy days. in 2012 we started Gibson, Salas, and Pettis with Kendricks as the main receiving TE most of the year. Our Oline wasn't that good- neither was our D- yet we got to one game from our division and 7 wins with a very young team, with both sides of the ball in a new system. I actually think that is pretty impressive. I cant think of a QB with similar support around them, who performed better?? truly cant.
Andrew Luck. His oline is garbage, his Rb's are also garbage. He only had T.Y. Hilton, a 3rd round pick, must be a combo of his talents and Luck. And again a garbage D. Also Stafford, Detroit only recently has had a decent D and a RB. Tom Brady has managed without a running game and poor WR, the Chargers and the Chiefs have made it to the postseason/winning record despite a solid D, or WR corps. Greenbay only recently has had an average D. We had Steven Jackson, a potential Hall of Fame RB, teams have got to the playoffs with less. We had Long and Laurinaitis on D also, arguably better than they are now. If you are regarded as a "top tier Qb" losing records are unacceptable. Even Christian Ponder managed his way to a postseason.

tbux

Rookie
Andrew Luck. His oline is garbage, his Rb's are also garbage. He only had T.Y. Hilton, a 3rd round pick, must be a combo of his talents and Luck. And again a garbage D. Also Stafford, Detroit only recently has had a decent D and a RB. Tom Brady has managed without a running game and poor WR, the Chargers and the Chiefs have made it to the postseason/winning record despite a solid D, or WR corps. Greenbay only recently has had an average D. We had Steven Jackson, a potential Hall of Fame RB, teams have got to the playoffs with less. We had Long and Laurinaitis on D also, arguably better than they are now. If you are regarded as a "top tier Qb" losing records are unacceptable. Even Christian Ponder managed his way to a postseason.

What rd someone goes in means zero. Brady went in the 6th- what did that prove?

He had Wayne at nearly 1400 yds that year and Hilton as his wrs. Compare that to Gibson and Pettis-

Stafford has maybe the best WR of all time behind Rice- funny comparison actually and where have they gone?
Brady had Welker, Gronk, Moss etc during different years- always a good D and that is your comparison?? His Oline/D / Weapons vs what we fielded in 2010-2012 you see comparable?? wow.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Sorry but this post is off base. The Rams threw Sam to the wolves in 2011. He spent 2012 getting his shit together and just when he was about to take off in 2013 he tore his acl.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I've never read anything about Sammy being a vocal leader aside from the Jaguars game. Look it up, it's becoming prevelant now, but any search will result in a question mark about his leadership. http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/10/2/4795332/what-happened-to-sam-bradford-the-leader.
You want news on Foles as the leader read transcripts on the WR's they say it up front, and watch his Wired video on the Rams website. I get that coach/player speak is what it is, but eyes and body language says it all. Watch any game tape of Bradford, if a WR/Lineman makes a mistake, it's not how it should have been or how it could have been better, it's a head shake and a disappointed dad look; I would know about the last one..

Exactly my point. The eyes and body language impressions are just our impressions. I'd hate to think people are judging my character based on 10 sec clips. They may catch an eye roll at a repeat offender and completely miss a handshake for a great play. It's subjective. I'd take a quiet leader any day. This is not a judgment on any player, just my preference.

And since when do leaders have to be vocal?

And why does the Rams fan base seem to require lots of talking to be considered a good leader? Can't a guy lead by example, or maintain an even keel?

This doesn't even consider what happens in the position meetings, weight room, locker room, etc. All we have to go on is eyes and body language on camera.

As far as the stories, I did a 30 sec Google search on Bradford. Didn't find any prevalent leadership issues amongst the results. Turf show times from 2013?

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2015/07/23/was-nick-foles-a-bad-fit-for-philly/

Here's a story praising Bradford's even keel and talking about Foles not liking franchise QB role. These things are all eye of the beholder. And most stories are all probably BS.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Everyone always uses Luck as a shining example, but his division is garbage and hasn't been able to put up a fight in YEARS.

Beating up on the Jags, Titans and Texans multiple times is gonna make a lot of people look good. There's a reason why the minute they get into the playoffs they get their shit pushed in.

Stafford has always had Calvin, and there's a reason why the Lions just recently got back into a playoff position, before then they weren't doing anything at all. Don't know why you'd bring them up when until just recently people were asking the same questions of Stafford.

Using Brady is laughable, when the guy is suspended amidst ANOTHER cheating scandal, the only thing he's a model of success for is cheating.

Greenbay's average D was completely offset by their high octane offense. Our D and our O was completely abysmal. It's not hard to be great when your O is 1st, 8th, 5th, 1st again, and 10th in the last 5 years.

The Chargers and Chiefs had always had great teams, I'm not sure where they have abysmal teams is coming from.

We had an aging Jackson who was on his way out, and JL55 and Long and... Who else exactly? I can name about several more good names on all the teams you've listed than you even listed for the Rams. This post is just completely off base and trying to compare their situations to the Rams is ridiculous.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Everyone always uses Luck as a shining example, but his division is garbage and hasn't been able to put up a fight in YEARS.

Beating up on the Jags, Titans and Texans multiple times is gonna make a lot of people look good. There's a reason why the minute they get into the playoffs they get their crap pushed in.

Stafford has always had Calvin, and there's a reason why the Lions just recently got back into a playoff position, before then they weren't doing anything at all. Don't know why you'd bring them up when until just recently people were asking the same questions of Stafford.

Using Brady is laughable, when the guy is suspended amidst ANOTHER cheating scandal, the only thing he's a model of success for is cheating.

Greenbay's average D was completely offset by their high octane offense. Our D and our O was completely abysmal. It's not hard to be great when your O is 1st, 8th, 5th, 1st again, and 10th in the last 5 years.

The Chargers and Chiefs had always had great teams, I'm not sure where they have abysmal teams is coming from.
Exactly my point. The eyes and body language impressions are just our impressions. I'd hate to think people are judging my character based on 10 sec clips. They may catch an eye roll at a repeat offender and completely miss a handshake for a great play. It's subjective. I'd take a quiet leader any day. This is not a judgment on any player, just my preference.

And why does the Rams fan base seem to require lots of talking to be considered a good leader? Can't a guy lead by example, or maintain an even keel?

This doesn't even consider what happens in the position meetings, weight room, locker room, etc. All we have to go on is eyes and body language on camera.

As far as the stories, I did a 30 sec Google search on Bradford. Didn't find any prevalent leadership issues amongst the results. Turf show times from 2013?

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2015/07/23/was-nick-foles-a-bad-fit-for-philly/

Here's a story praising Bradford's even keel and talking about Foles not liking franchise QB role. These things are all eye of the beholder. And most stories are all probably BS.
Sorry but this post is off base. The Rams threw Sam to the wolves in 2011. He spent 2012 getting his crap together and just when he was about to take off in 2013 he tore his acl.

We had an aging Jackson who was on his way out, and JL55 and Long and... Who else exactly? I can name about several more good names on all the teams you've listed than you even listed for the Rams. This post is just completely off base and trying to compare their situations to the Rams is ridiculous.

What rd someone goes in means zero. Brady went in the 6th- what did that prove?

He had Wayne at nearly 1400 yds that year and Hilton as his wrs. Compare that to Gibson and Pettis-

Stafford has maybe the best WR of all time behind Rice- funny comparison actually and where have they gone?
Brady had Welker, Gronk, Moss etc during different years- always a good D and that is your comparison?? His Oline/D / Weapons vs what we fielded in 2010-2012 you see comparable?? wow.
Excuses. That's fine. Other teams do just fine without excuses and all-start position groups. Keep defending Bradford and the Rams of Old, I'm all about Foles and the our team now. Steven Jackson's worst years were with Atl besides his rookie year. Bradford wasn't thrown to the wolves in 2011, our starters got injured and our coaches had no answer for depth. Sam showed promise in 2013, agaisnt a garbage Jaguar, and Texan team. He did ok against Carolina before blowing his knee out. He poorly against SF and had an up and down game against the Cards. He had a good 2nd half in the ATL game, when the were well ahead, and lets not mention the Dallas game. He was projected to have his best year, but he still had 4 more divisional games left to play. Show me a video or article of Bradford leading a group? Spending time in the offseason doesn't amount to much; leading a group and being a friend are completely different. I have yet to read any article about a Rams WR discussing how Bradford has taken any leadership role, if you can find it great, I would have love to have read it. Jags and Titans and Texans have all made the playoffs more recently than the Rams. The Colts dismantled the Broncos, watch that game it's sad. Anyone who want's to question Brady and cheating as far as production and winning should just stop watching football. For one it hasn't been proven that he let a little bit of air out of a football, also it hasn't been proven that he did it for his entire career. Also every QB alters the football in some way, read about it. I don't like the guy, but he is arguably the best QB in recent history. @ tbux mentions him, he must be relevant then. Greenbay's offense wasn't best in the league overnight, #12 stepped in and they started to produce. I'm drunk, come at me!

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
They're not excuses just because you want to crap on somebody unrealistically and want nobody to counter your point. I got to say, I'm tired of the new meaning for excuses.

It's stopped being meaningless filler and started to mean any fact that I don't like that I want to ignore and say that they're not real. At this point it's just a waste.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
They're not excuses just because you want to crap on somebody unrealistically and want nobody to counter your point. I got to say, I'm tired of the new meaning for excuses.

It's stopped being meaningless filler and started to mean any fact that I don't like that I want to ignore and say that they're not real. At this point it's just a waste.
Saying a guy has potential but lack production is crapping all over him? New meaning of excuses, "he has not talent around him?" that's a pretty played out excuse. How about the division was garbage when he played in it up until the last two years, much like the AFC South.

jjab360

Legend

It's obviously not a requirement, but most of the great QBs and leaders in the league right now are extremely vocal. Somehow, I doubt that's just a coincidence.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He's nowhere NEAR extremely accurate, in fact he is below average. He's never been accurate in the NFL.

Here is a link to his game logs...... http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradSa00/gamelog/

60% is pretty much average in the NFL. If you are below that mark that's not good.

As you can see Bradford played in 49 games. He hit 60% or higher just 21 times. He was below 50%, which is crap, 9 times which is about one out of 5 games. That's terrible. His numbers look even worse when you consider that he was throwing short as often as he was. I don't think Bradford ever broke the top 15 in completion %, and so he isn't extremely accurate, he's mediocre.
His stats don't say he's accurate, but games aren't played on stat sheets either. PFF did a study called 'adjusted accuracy' for all of the QBs in the league and it was quite revealing. It had Bradford ranked right up there with the best of them. I've seen enough games on rewind to know that accuracy isn't a problem with Bradford. But if you think it is, then Foles isn't going to make you very happy.

“Well, with Bradford, the biggest concern I have, and the thing that concerned me with some players that I got burned on, is the injury factor. I remember I traded for [former University of Miami running back] Alonzo Highsmith, because I had great memories, and I did it against my doctor’s recommendations, and he wasn’t the same. So that’s my biggest concern, the health. I love Bradford, but is he gonna be on the field? But if he plays, I like him. Foles, his accuracy was a question. Bradford’s better at that, and it’s not even a question if he’s healthy. I think Chip looked at Foles as not his guy.”

-- Jimmy Johnson

And here's his accuracy percentage from intermediate range in 2012 compared to Brady.
If we're using stats to determine what kind of a QB a guy is, then Brady can't hold Bradford's jock. lol.

BRADFORD
CT6fbZV.png

1jZxnOm.png

BRADY
CT6fbZV.png

kCZj7gM.png

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
My main point was that great players produce despite having a great supportive talent.
Yeah, I dunno. What would it look like if Manning had the whole JV team from your local high school as his supporting cast? Hyperbole, of course, but you get the point.
Excuses. That's fine.
How is it an excuse to say that the AFC South is a garbage division? Luck (since we're using the QB record stat) has a fairly average winning percentage against winning teams and a pretty good one against bad teams. But somehow it's only relevant when Bradford plays a bad team. Then it's used as a means to downplay any positive statistics. If you do that, you have to do it for Luck.

Other teams do just fine without excuses and all-start position groups. Keep defending Bradford and the Rams of Old, I'm all about Foles and the our team now.
I doubt you'll find anyone on this board who is defending Bradford in lieu of supporting Foles. It's just the conversation being had right now.

Steven Jackson's worst years were with Atl besides his rookie year.
He also got over 100 (and up to 200) less chances at running the ball per year over there. That kind of matters if you're looking at yardage gained.

Bradford wasn't thrown to the wolves in 2011, our starters got injured and our coaches had no answer for depth.
That's not even half the story. I made videos of that year, including the one where it shows all of his throws 15 yards and over, (complete or not) and you can plainly see that the whole offense was out of sync for a large portion of that season. It had a great deal to do with the lack of OTAs and camp, in addition to rookie receivers and a new system without time to implement it or rep it. Receivers were getting hit in the back of the helmet for crying out loud. And that's because McDaniels likes to use sight adjustment playcalling.

Sam showed promise in 2013, agaisnt a garbage Jaguar, and Texan team. He did ok against Carolina before blowing his knee out. He poorly against SF and had an up and down game against the Cards. He had a good 2nd half in the ATL game, when the were well ahead, and lets not mention the Dallas game. He was projected to have his best year, but he still had 4 more divisional games left to play.
I don't suppose you've looked at other high profile teams that played the 49ers that year, have you? It ain't pretty. You also fail to mention that in the SF and DAL games, there was a combined 53 yards of rushing from this offense. And that's without stacking the box, so you do the math. And an OK game against Carolina? lol. You missed the dropped TD and the penalty that took away another, I guess. He was having a great game in terms of individual effort.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjh3DeDAPFw

Show me a video or article of Bradford leading a group?
You do know that it was Steven Jackson's team for a while, right? Rookies don't come in and take away the leadership role from someone like Steven Jackson by default. You have to earn that by demonstrating a willingness to work as hard as he did and by commanding that kind of respect. But if you're looking for quotes, I can give you a few I guess.

Bradford was last year's Offensive Rookie of the Year and took a leadership role in informal workouts during the lockout. McDaniels has been impressed with Bradford since interviewing him at the NFL Combine before the 2010 draft, and in the short time since the end of the lockout has taken note of Bradford's understanding of the new playbook.

McDaniels described Bradford's poise as "almost uncanny."

------------------

"You know it's crazy to think of him only in his second year," nine-year veteran offensive lineman Adam Goldberg said. "I don't even think of him as a young guy anymore. He's our leader and we do what he tells us to do. You know sometimes when you test things that are not proven, like a rookie, you just keep putting more on their plate to see how they handle it? You start off small, then you keep on piling more and more stuff on their plate."

-------------------

Sam was a leader on our team in the locker room and on the field. He was a great teammate who was dealt some adversity but handled it all with grace and dignity. He represented himself as well as the organization in a first-class manner. I wish him nothing but the best throughout his career. -- Jeff Fisher

-------------------

His work ethic is relentless. He's always the first one in the building, and when I leave late, I always see his car in the parking lot.
-- James Laurinaitis

Spending time in the offseason doesn't amount to much; leading a group and being a friend are completely different. I have yet to read any article about a Rams WR discussing how Bradford has taken any leadership role, if you can find it great, I would have love to have read it.

There really are plenty of quotes from receivers talking about Bradford's leadership abilities. The most recent I can remember is from Tavon Austin talking about how Bradford kept him after practices to teach him how to run the routes correctly. I'm not about to dig them all up, because I fear the next response is going to be, "Well, what are they supposed to say???"

Jags and Titans and Texans have all made the playoffs more recently than the Rams. The Colts dismantled the Broncos, watch that game it's sad. Anyone who want's to question Brady and cheating as far as production and winning should just stop watching football. For one it hasn't been proven that he let a little bit of air out of a football, also it hasn't been proven that he did it for his entire career. Also every QB alters the football in some way, read about it. I don't like the guy, but he is arguably the best QB in recent history. @ tbux mentions him, he must be relevant then. Greenbay's offense wasn't best in the league overnight, #12 stepped in and they started to produce.
You kind of tapered off here into a diatribe about many things. I'm not sure how to respond to this.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
It's obviously not a requirement, but most of the great QBs and leaders in the league right now are extremely vocal. Somehow, I doubt that's just a coincidence.

Maybe I don't watch enough games anymore but I can't think of many games last year where the QB just sat and jawed at people all game long. And like I said before, unless you are in the huddle you don't know what's happening in the huddle.

jjab360

Legend
Maybe I don't watch enough games anymore but I can't think of many games last year where the QB just sat and jawed at people all game long. And like I said before, unless you are in the huddle you don't know what's happening in the huddle.
I liked Bradford, but in general he seemed like an introvert. Just an impression I got from watching every Rams game and pretty much all of the Rams media, mic'd ups, interviews, etc., ever since he got here. He just wasn't really a fiery guy i.e. he would rarely ever lead a pregame huddle or give a big speech in the heat of the moment. Like I said I'm sure it's possible to be a successful QB with that personality, but it just seems to me to be the norm with most succesful QBs around the league.

It's one of the things I always took in stride with Sam, but it's a nice change of pace to have the QB really take charge of the team and take ownership again.

rams2050

Starter
At least we don't have to see Bradford's passes get swatted at the LOS this year..

Amen, to that, brother. That used to drive me friggin' crazy.

That and waiting for Sam to be injured and to limp off, be carted off, or helped off the field. Sad, just sad. Like waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Plus, Sam already had the huge payday. I understand that he renegotiated his contract for one or two seasons, I really do! But he is constantly injured. He has yet to live up to the hype. And yet he wanted ANOTHER big payday? In expectation of WHAT? Another mind-numbing, ball-breaking (for the fans, anyway) injury that would destroy any chance that the team MIGHT have had at the playoffs?

Guys, I have a Bradford jersey. I bought another for my granddaughter. I was a huge Bradford supporter but that support gradually waned and finally ran out altogether. I don't wish him ill but neither do I hope he sets the world on fire in Philly. I don't want him to get hurt again, but I also hope he doesn't lead the Iggles to the SB.

I wonder, really wonder, what Sam is going to be feeling -- and how he's going to react -- when the games are live and another team's huge D-line is bearing down on him and his fragile knee, shoulder, (insert body part here), etc.

I wish him nothing but rainbows and puppy dogs, just not a Super Bowl.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Plus, Sam already had the huge payday. I understand that he renegotiated his contract for one or two seasons, I really do! But he is constantly injured. He has yet to live up to the hype. And yet he wanted ANOTHER big payday? In expectation of WHAT? Another mind-numbing, ball-breaking (for the fans, anyway) injury that would destroy any chance that the team MIGHT have had at the playoffs?
He's like a Ferrari - spends more time in the shop then on the road. But when you finally get him on the road, he really performs, but it's short lived.