Bradford On Rams: "i Think We're Close"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I wasn't on this (or any board) at that point but what was the view on the morning of April 23rd 2010 (the day after drafting Sam) that 2014 would be our year?
What was the feeling on the morning of January 3rd 2011 (the day after going 7-9 and losing to Seattle) that 2014 would be our year?
What was the feeling on March 13th 2012 (the day after the RGIII trade) that given all our high picks we should be 6 games off the pace in the NFC West come 2013 and that 2014 would be our year?
What was the feeling after going 7-8-1 and 4-1-1 in our division in 2012, that 2014 would be our year?

That's just the last 4 years but I'd wager that on each of those days the feeling was "We're close". And that's great, that's why we're fans, that's why we keep on coming back.
And we were close then and now, question really is are we closer and if we "get there " can we stay and never in my close to 50 years of watching football have I seen a team built with so steady an eye on sustainability,make that any team I've rooted for ,the Cowboys did it that way but F them.
Now we all just believe what we want to believe, that is axiomatic and if you want to believe that this time is no different than the others fine ,but I'll just tell ya the results this team achieves don't depend on what we believe ,but our happiness does,so IMA choose to be happy,I see every negative you do but just fail to see the utility in torturing myself and others over them.

fearsomefour

Legend
I wasn't on this (or any board) at that point but what was the view on the morning of April 23rd 2010 (the day after drafting Sam) that 2014 would be our year?
What was the feeling on the morning of January 3rd 2011 (the day after going 7-9 and losing to Seattle) that 2014 would be our year?
What was the feeling on March 13th 2012 (the day after the RGIII trade) that given all our high picks we should be 6 games off the pace in the NFC West come 2013 and that 2014 would be our year?
What was the feeling after going 7-8-1 and 4-1-1 in our division in 2012, that 2014 would be our year?

That's just the last 4 years but I'd wager that on each of those days the feeling was "We're close". And that's great, that's why we're fans, that's why we keep on coming back.
I dont know. After Bradford was drafted I figured the Rams were 100 miles away because there were holes everywhere. I was pleasantly surprised with the "turn around" to 7-8-1 last year. I thought the team was still a 7 or 8 win team this year. I still think the team has a way to go. Not being a downer, just how I see it. They are respectable now and most weeks competitive. Vast improvement. Did I expect them to "get there" and make a run deep into the playoffs this year? No. Do I really expect it next year? No.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
What I find encouraging is that we blew some good teams out this year, at least three of them,it tells me when these guys put it together they can dominate and when they don't they can compete ,winning teams don't play their best game every week IMO they are good enough to win when they don't ,we are approaching that point

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I see most people still considering the divisional opponents to be far superior to the Rams. I don't necessarily agree with that. As questionable as out offense can be against these top defenses, the Rams aren't that far off when you compare the offenses of both Seattle and San Francisco. The biggest difference in the results, is they have a smothering defense, and they get turnovers.

Most people point to THIS SEASON's woeful record vs. the division and use it to gauge the gap between these teams. But they completely dismiss the success of the 2012 season vs. these same teams. While every season is in and of itself unique, with this staff and this roster only gaining more experience, I for one, see the only thing stopping the Rams from being right there with these teams is consistent performances week in week out when playing these teams.

As dominant as the SF defense has been, guys like Justin Smith and Patrick Willis aren't getting any younger. Willis in particular, was not nearly the player this year as he has been. And Seattle's offense, other than two big plays turned in by Golden Taint in each of this year's game, did nothing to dominate our defense.

If the Rams can find a quality Nickel CB, and get better play from the young safeties, their defense will be close to being as dominant as any in the division. Get Bradford back, continue to have success in the running game, and feed off the play action passing game, much the same way SF and Seattle do, and we are right there.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I agree with most of that Coacho. Only difference being I think the priority needs to be OL or there won't be a running game to play action off of.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I think we're getting better, I just don't think we're getting better any faster than our divisional foes are getting worse. We need to win our division - if we do that then I think we've arrived.
I trust in Fish and Co - hopefully this year is the year we turn the corner.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The talent level between us and the rest of the division is closing fast but there's still a huge gap in terms of youth and experience that does not work in our favor right now.
Patience...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is the year unless we get plagued with injuries again. But we're due some luck, so that won't happen. And if we don't end up in the playoffs, then that will be disappointing. But at least we'll have some laughs, have some meltdowns, and share the experience together again. In the end, it's just football. Hanging out with my online buds and partaking in good buds conversation is just as fun to me.

So gear up. This is the year.

No other way to look at it.