Bradford & Givens getting comfy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Givens Getting Up To Speed In Recent Weeks

Nathan Grimm
http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/10/30/ ... ent-weeks/

[wrapimg=left]http://cbsstlouis.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/154874154.jpg?w=300[/wrapimg]They say you can’t teach speed. Chris Givens is proving that you can’t very easily defend against it, either.

Givens, the St. Louis Rams rookie wide receiver, has five straight games with a catch of at least 50 yards after burning the New England Patriots for a 50-yard touchdown on the fifth play from scrimmage Sunday. He’s averaging 25.6 yards per catch through the first eight games.

The big-play element is what the Rams were hoping for when they drafted Givens with the first pick of the fourth round of the 2012 NFL Draft. Givens was a dynamic player at Wake Forest, breaking Ricky Proehl’s school record for receiving yards in a season during his junior year and leading the Demon Deacons in all-purpose yards for three straight seasons.

If there was a knock on Givens it was concern about his knees. Givens tore both his right and left ACL in high school but was still able to set records at Wake Forest. Aside from his tremendous speed – Givens ran a 4.23 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine – it’s his work ethic that has helped him make such a quick impression as a pro.

[hil]“I love him because he’s a guy that at practice, after practice, he always wants to throw,” QB Sam Bradford said. “He comes and gets me and he’s like, ‘Hey, I’ve got this, this and this. Let’s get these after practice.’ If it’s not right, he stays until we get it right. We’ve spent a lot of time together and I think that’s one of the reasons that we’ve developed the chemistry that we have.[/hil]”

The chemistry has resulted in a lot of explosive plays for the Rams in the earlygoing. Givens has just 13 catches on the year but has racked up 333 yards and two touchdowns.

Although he’s still primarily a deep threat, Givens has become a more integral part of the offense in recent weeks. After registering no catches in his first two games and only catching four passes through his first five games, Givens has been targeted more often in the past three games. Givens has nine catches for 221 yards since week six.

“He works really hard at it,” offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said. “He gets a lot of the deep routes. He gets put in some positions, but I think it’s develop through time on task. It’s develop out here on the grass, in the meeting rooms. Obviously, he’s an explosive player and a guy we’re thrilled to watch develop. He’s coming at a fast speed when he’s playing as a player as well.”

Givens’ development came at a good time for the Rams. With fellow rookie WR Brian Quick struggling to get on the field and WR Danny Amendola, Bradford’s favorite target, still out with a clavicle injury, Givens has become one of Bradford’s go-to receivers.

“He’s got tremendous speed,” Bradford said. “He’s a great route runner. He’s just got a feel for finding holes, getting behind people.”

Speed kills. To opposing defenses, Givens’ skillset is bordering on…deadly.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
If only these hookups would occur more than once a game.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
iBruce said:
If only these hookups would occur more than once a game.
Yeah, I hear you. I think it will be only a matter of time before they become more frequent and Bradford throws to him for more than just a bomb

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Just please stay healthy. Was anyone else thinking 'here we go again' when he was walking to the locker room on Sunday? It seems like when a young player shows promise and starts doing really good he gets injured.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Young Ram said:
Just please stay healthy. Was anyone else thinking 'here we go again' when he was walking to the locker room on Sunday? It seems like when a young player shows promise and starts doing really good he gets injured.
Yes.

I like that they're working together after practice. Keep doing that, and start working in some comebacks and deep curls. It was nice that his 50 yard bomb was more than just a 9 route, so it's only a matter of time. He's gonna end up as Bradford's Mike Wallace.

Now if we just get Danny back and Quick up to speed we might have a little offense that's not offensive.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
HitStick said:
Quick needs to stay after practice, every practice.
He may need a little more than that. But let's examine the situation.

Which receiver (reportedly) is the ONLY receiver tugging on Bradford's jersey asking for more reps?

That means something.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
X said:
HitStick said:

Which receiver (reportedly) is the ONLY receiver tugging on Bradford's jersey asking for more reps?

That means something.
Maybe one looks at the others signing bonus and sez , "IMA make sure my second contract is bigger than his ", could explain why DR got on the field and Pead hasn't as well.

How you coming on that vid on Quick?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
X said:
HitStick said:

That means something.
Maybe one looks at the others signing bonus and sez , "IMA make sure my second contract is bigger than his ", could explain why DR got on the field and Pead hasn't as well.

How you coming on that vid on Quick?
:oops: I forgot all about it. I'll finish it later on today.

I'm going through preparations to get ready to leave town this weekend for Tennessee. I'll be gone for about 8 days, and I have lots to do. Heading out shortly to Sprint so I can buy a mobile hotspot. Because APPARENTLY, this retreat area has no internet access. The hell's that about? What do they expect us to do? Hike? Fish? Enjoy the mountain scenery or take a boat out on the lake? This is 2012, not 1912.

I think we might check out Dollywood too. I have no idea what that's about, but there has to be boobs there.

bluecoconuts

Legend
X said:
HitStick said:

That means something.

Amendola usually stays after from what I've heard. Obviously not so much now because he's hurt, but I've read that before.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
HitStick said:

They better have Quicks ass buried in the playbook for every second of every day he has available in the offseason. When he's not doing that, they need to have him going to school with Torry on routes.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Username said:
HitStick said:

They better have Quicks ass buried in the playbook for every second of every day he has available in the offseason. When he's not doing that, they need to have him going to school with Torry on routes.
...and a heart transplant from Danny.

bluecoconuts

Legend
DR RAM said:
Username said:
HitStick said:

Have him watch Fitzgerald fighting for the endzone in the last minute of the Monday night game with the game far out of reach. Nothing but pride.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
bluecoconuts said:
DR RAM said:
Username said:
HitStick said:

Have him watch Fitzgerald fighting for the endzone in the last minute of the Monday night game with the game far out of reach. Nothing but pride.
I saw that play...kind of play that brings a tear to your eye. Football is a beautiful game if it's played the right way.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
DR RAM said:
bluecoconuts said:
DR RAM said:
Username said:
HitStick said:

I saw that play...kind of play that brings a tear to your eye. Football is a beautiful game if it's played the right way.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000

I loved that. Reminded me of those movies where the main character is gettin clobbered and the enemy keeps coming, but he keeps fighting.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Angry Ram said:
DR RAM said:
bluecoconuts said:
DR RAM said:
Username said:
HitStick said:

I loved that. Reminded me of those movies where the main character is gettin clobbered and the enemy keeps coming, but he keeps fighting.

AND OBTW he PROBABLY had a mild concussion in the first half

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Thordaddy said:
Angry Ram said:
DR RAM said:
bluecoconuts said:
DR RAM said:
Username said:
HitStick said:

AND OBTW he PROBABLY had a mild concussion in the first half
.....and he almost had his eyeball poked out in the end zone.