Bradford cap hit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Let me first preface this by saying I'm a big Sam Bradford supporter... always have been. But I was talking with a buddy at work today and wondering what 2015 will bring. And was wondering what Sam was due to make next year, and if he was released, what the Rams were still on the hook for in 2015. Does anyone know?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
4ve7S9a.png

http://overthecap.com/player/sam-bradford/1349/

Look at the far right two columns that are highlighted red. For 2015 we save almost 13 million if we cut him, and are on the hook for almost 4 million.

Last edited:

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I like Sam but it's impossible to justify that cap hit for next year. I've no doubt that he could earn the starting job in 2015 but he needs to take a pay cut. At this point, I'd gladly go into next year with him and Davis. Ideally Bradford wins that battle but I'm more than happy with Davis there if Sam goes down again

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Let me first preface this by saying I'm a big Sam Bradford supporter... always have been. But I was talking with a buddy at work today and wondering what 2015 will bring. And was wondering what Sam was due to make next year, and if he was released, what the Rams were still on the hook for in 2015. Does anyone know?
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/yearly-base/

Sam Bradford.......... Cap Hit - 2014: $17,610,000 2015: $16,580,000
...................................Base Salary - 2014: $14,015,000 2015: $12,985,000

jap

Legend
If Sam elects to stay, this should be interesting. I don't think Sam has been seriously pushed by any QB since he's been in Horns. Despite the criticism of some, Sam throws a very accurate deep ball. He has been coached to be conservative thus far. However, with the receiving weapons now available, I could easily see him being encouraged to take more downfield shots.

As I noted before, AD could stand to improve his overall body strength, especially with respect to his arms and shoulders. I would hope his pocket awareness will improve over the rest of the season as he gets battle-tested by getting into more game scenarios. I can see him improving his footwork and delivery mechanics as well.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
30 mill between 2013-2014 for 7 games of play
Wow

That jumped off the page at me too. That's cap space not wages, which are 22 mil, but both are huge numbers.

Like I said in another post for the 12-13 mil the Rams can get a pro bowl caliber player and another excellent starter. Two impact players.......hopefully one is a LB! Or both

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That jumped off the page at me too. That's cap space not wages, which are 22 mil, but both are huge numbers.

Like I said in another post for the 12-13 mil the Rams can get a pro bowl caliber player and another excellent starter. Two impact players.......hopefully one is a LB! Or both
LB and a C?? PLEASE make it happen!!

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I have liked and still like Bradford quite a bit. Truth is his cap hit is too much. Its time to significantly restructure or cut ties. I would love to have a solution that could bring him back for a much more team friendly deal, but can we trust him that knee know?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have liked and still like Bradford quite a bit. Truth is his cap hit is too much. Its time to significantly restructure or cut ties. I would love to have a solution that could bring him back for a much more team friendly deal, but can we trust him that knee know?
Unless Davis falls completely apart during the last 10 games, I cant see any way, shape or form that Bradford returns

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Yes, we can't pay him that. No, we don't need to draft a high round QB.

Never thought I'd say that! Hahaha!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he'd take a salary reduction. That would give him a year to show he's healthy before free agency. If he's cut what team is going to want to give a big - or even a medium - contract to a QB coming off of two major knee surgeries and who hasn't shown he's healthy yet?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
It's not only the savings from being Bradford less. it's JL and C. Long's contracts get cap friendlier. Maybe J. Long gets cut and free's up more room.
They could sign one maybe two higher end type FA's next year, push as much as cap hit as possible into first year to utilize the Bradford rebate.

But we have to remember next year Sneed's first draft class is in their fourth year. Quick, JJ, Brockers, Tru etc. are going to want to get paid market value.
And if we believe Favre and Davis is the real deal he's going to get paid like it at the same time. Not in Bradford's neighborhood, but close.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm not sure I would like to see us do a "one year only" restructure. I really feel that we should be able to benefit more from a deal. If we are to restructure Sam for the 2015 season, I would like to see it be VERY incentive and benchmark oriented and also contain an option for the Rams to be able to pick up at least another year or two at their discretion. As much as I like Sam - and I named my Lab after him and share the same birthday - I think he needs to not only prove his ability to be a top QB in this league but also stay on the field for a season or two before he should be able to sign a starting QB level contract.

I imagine there will almost always be teams that are very QB needy and maybe one of them will take a shot and offer him a big contract. If that happens, IMO, we need to be prepared to let him walk.

Of course, I fully expect this to be the case anyway and seeing Sam on the sideline tells me that he and KD have no doubt already been talking about what they want to do. The wild card in all this of course is AD. If he continues to progress, it puts the team in a much better bargaining position. Their draft position I'm sure will weigh in too but I sure hope we are not in a position of having to either trade up or in any way use a top ten pick on a QB unless there is another Andrew Luck or the next Peyton sitting there.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Maybe J. Long gets cut and free's up more room.
Unless Long's play significantly improves, that's almost certain.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/95265/a-look-at-jake-longs-contract-with-rams

Flexibility: The Rams could get out of this deal comfortably after the second season. The team of course hopes Long plays all four seasons at a high level. However, the relatively small signing bonus gives the Rams flexibility down the line. Long's deal would count $2.4 million against the cap in 2015 if the team released him after two seasons. That would be an insignificant amount of dead money for a starting left tackle with a Pro Bowl pedigree.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he'd take a salary reduction. That would give him a year to show he's healthy before free agency. If he's cut what team is going to want to give a big - or even a medium - contract to a QB coming off of two major knee surgeries and who hasn't shown he's healthy yet?
I'm fairly certain that the Rams will cut him, take the 3.6 dead money hit.
Will they offer him a cheap 2 year deal loaded with incentives? Possibly.
Would another team? Absolutely! The kicker is going to the team where he has best chance to play, hence best chance to earn the incentive money