Bradford, at Right Cost, Would Benefit Rams in 2015/Stalter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
That is what I have heard as well. And what that would suggest to me is that he is PLANNING to be the starter HERE next year.
As much as some dislike the sideline shots of him every game, I'm impressed he seems to be there every game, including away games.

So I agree he seems to want to be here.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
As much as some dislike the sideline shots of him every game, I'm impressed he seems to be there every game, including away games.

So I agree he seems to want to be here.

Why would someone mind the occasional shot of him on the sidelines? Seems a small thing.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why would someone mind the occasional shot of him on the sidelines? Seems a small thing.

Because they don't like him. I can see no other reason why it would offend them.

reggae

If Bradford's agents are "open" to renegotiating his salary he should fire them immediately.

Bradford requesting his release and seeing what the market bears makes much more sense from a business perspective.
Pay him what you agreed to or let him go should be Bradford's agents opening position.
But, how does that help our team? Bradford is a custom fit for this offense. There is no FA or potential rookie that can run this offense like Bradford is capable of.This year at least. But, we need to keep him upright. Which, Snead/Fisher/Shotty bear as much responsibility for as Bradford.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hate that the Rams have to be thinking of bringing Sam back. Two ACLS is one too many. I would punt, but they have NO fallback at this point. Too bad.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
But, how does that help our team? Bradford is a custom fit for this offense. There is no FA or potential rookie that can run this offense like Bradford is capable of.This year at least. But, we need to keep him upright. Which, Snead/Fisher/Shotty bear as much responsibility for as Bradford.

Bradford's agents main objective isn't helping the Rams, it's helping their client get the most money possible. If it's not then Bradford needs new representation.

Also, while I absolutely agree that the OLine needs to be upgraded at center and guard I don't think that poor line play directly led to either of Bradford's ACL injuries.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Because they don't like him. I can see no other reason why it would offend them.

Several other reasons:

1. It is a well known fact he is hurt, why bother doing it again - show us an important replay or something more relavant to the current game...
2. they are actually a huge fan of Bradford - and showing him in street clothes is depressing and sad....not the emotions you want from watching your team
3. wonder why evey injured player isn't being shown, maybe would prefer update on quick, etc. instead of Bradford....again this week

I would tend to lean #2 myself - I would rather not be brought down during the game wondering what coulda been....

reggae

Bradford's agents main objective isn't helping the Rams, it's helping their client get the most money possible. If it's not then Bradford needs new representation.

Also, while I absolutely agree that the OLine needs to be upgraded at center and guard I don't think that poor line play directly led to either of Bradford's ACL injuries.
There is no agent in the league who puts the teams interest ahead of their own! Therefore there is no agent in the league that wull put a teams interest ahead of their clients.That's basic mathematics. Given that(which it is undoubtedly a given). Jake Long was finished when he got to StL. Undoubtedly Fisher/Snead's biggest mistake. And he figured prominently in at least 1 of Bradford's knee injuries.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
There is no agent in the league who puts the teams interest ahead of their own! Therefore there is no agent in the league that wull put a teams interest ahead of their clients.That's basic mathematics. Given that(which it is undoubtedly a given). Jake Long was finished when he got to StL. Undoubtedly Fisher/Snead's biggest mistake. And he figured prominently in at least 1 of Bradford's knee injuries.

I thought you asked how Bradford's agents hardline stance would help the Rams, which it wouldn't.
I was just trying to clarify the point I was trying to make.

If you're talking about the re-injury against Cleveland I agree that Jake Long let his man get by him.

That being said, it's not like the defender had a 10 yard full sprint shot at Bradford. The defender made minimal contact (by NFL standards) and then tugged at Bradford. Most NFL QBs deal with this sort of contact multiple times during a game.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
a
I strongly disagree with the opinion that Jake Long was finished when he got to the Rams. Although he was not up to his previous Pro bowl level as a pass protector, he was playing very well for the Rams when he got hurt (especially in the run game) at the end of 2013. In fact Jake Long's injury is maybe the critical factor in the Rams misfortunes since the end of last season. Although it is only speculation, I postulate that if Long does not blow out his knee in 2013 the Rams would be making a serious run for the playoffs this year.

Item 1: If Long does not have the balky knee from the 2013 injury he plays better in the preseason and Bradford does not reinjure his knee on the fateful day in Cleveland.

Item 2: If Long stayed healthy (assuming the Rams still draft Robinson) then the Rams Offensive line (in front of a healthy Bradford) now has Saffold killing people at RG instead of the struggling Joseph and Robinson mauling people at LG.

Perhaps both men's knees were ticking time bombs and Bradford reinjures anyway even if the play in Cleveland never happens and perhaps Long blows out the knee like he did this season even if he had stayed healthy in 2013, after all football is a brutal game. However, I cannot help but think how much better this team might be now if both men had remained healthy. Back to my original point, signing Long was not a bad move at the time and I think he had proved last season, prior the injury, that he was a good acquisition.

Last edited:

reggae

a
I strongly disagree with the opinion that Jake Long was finished when he got to the Rams. Although he was not up to his previous Prow bowl level as a pass protector, he was playing very well for the Rams when he got hurt (especially in the run game) at the end of 2013. In fact Jake Long's injury is maybe the critical factor in the Rams misfortunes since the end of last season. Although it is only speculation, I postulate that if Long does not blow out his knee in 2013 the Rams would be making a serious run for the playoffs this year.

Item 1: If Long does not have the balky knee from the 2013 injury he plays better in the preseason and Bradford does not reinjure his knee on the fateful day in Cleveland.

Item 2: If Long stayed healthy (assuming the Rams still draft Robinson) then the Rams Offensive line (in front of a healthy Bradford) now has Saffold killing people at RG instead of the struggling Joseph and Robinson mauling people at LG.

Perhaps both men's knees were ticking time bombs and Bradford reinjures anyway even if the play in Cleveland never happens and perhaps Long blows out the knee like he did this season even if he had stayed healthy in 2013, after all football is a brutal game. However, I cannot help but think how much better this team might be now if both men had remained healthy. Back to my original point, signing Long was not a bad move at the time and I think he had proved last season, prior the injury, that he was a good acquisition.
To each their won. However, I see Long as well past his prime. And an underperformer when healthy.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
To each their won. However, I see Long as well past his prime. And an underperformer when healthy.
I realize that the view of Long's play prior to the injury varies greatly among us Ram fans. However, with the second knee injury I agree that his time has passed and he is most likely a cap casualty in 2015.

I do not pin Long's failure to pan out on him the or the Rams front office. It is just the misfortune of a bad injury. One day I may be saying the same of Sam but for now I still drink the Kool-Aid of hope that he can return and play well for our Rams

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Dunno. Just referencing that a poster (who I won't name) posted something indicating dislike of it.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Several other reasons:

1. It is a well known fact he is hurt, why bother doing it again - show us an important replay or something more relavant to the current game...
2. they are actually a huge fan of Bradford - and showing him in street clothes is depressing and sad....not the emotions you want from watching your team
3. wonder why evey injured player isn't being shown, maybe would prefer update on quick, etc. instead of Bradford....again this week

I would tend to lean #2 myself - I would rather not be brought down during the game wondering what coulda been....

But when they show him they are usually talking about him for 2015.

I'm not sure about#2.

You don't see other injured players because most aren't there on the sidelines. And a lot of the shots of Bradford had Chris Long in them as well.
Much as we like Quick's emergence, nobody else really knows who he is.

jap

Legend
I'm not sure I understand this. Even if the RAMS release him how many teams do you think are going to line up to pay him another $30M?

A lot more than you obviously think.

Regardless of talent coming off 2 ACL tears NO team is going to hand him a blank check. I would bet money that every team that has interest is going to offer him an incentive based deal. So why not sign the same type of deal with a team that wants you and is on the verge of something special. His agents are going to negotiate the same deal with the Rams they would have to with any other interested team.

This is a business and as much as I love my team if they bring him back and pay him his full current contract they are stupid.

Why would they be stupid? It is very arguable that Sam's injuries are related to the fact that the Horns have done a piss-poor job of protecting him since he was drafted. Don't mind that some of his injuries were the so-called "freakish" type either. Those kind of things do not usually happen out of the blue. The wear & tear on Sam from having to work behind mediocre OL's may very well have contributed to those freak injuries. In other words, the injuries, freakish or not, may very well be the Ram's fault.

Who drafts a marquee collegiate QB and then fails to pony up the money for needed protection---especially since there was so much early concern with said QB's surgically repaired shoulder? Who drafts a marquee collegiate QB and then fails to pony up the money for needed receivers? The Horns are guilty on both counts! And if Sam was getting battered & bruised because his OL was mediocre and his receivers were arguably the NFL's worst, how can anyone in their right mind argue that he didn't earn his money? Was he supposed to perform miracles with subpar talent on the OL and at the receiver spots?

Hasn't our division emerged as the league's best with respect to overall defense? Isn't it more urgent now than even before that the Horns have to protect their signal callers? Hell, if I were Sam's agent, I would make upgrading the OL part of the negotiations.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
A lot more than you obviously think.

Why would they be stupid? It is very arguable that Sam's injuries are related to the fact that the Horns have done a pee pee-poor job of protecting him since he was drafted. Don't mind that some of his injuries were the so-called "freakish" type either. Those kind of things do not usually happen out of the blue. The wear & tear on Sam from having to work behind mediocre OL's may very well have contributed to those freak injuries. In other words, the injuries, freakish or not, may very well be the Ram's fault.

Who drafts a marquee collegiate QB and then fails to pony up the money for needed protection---especially since there was so much early concern with said QB's surgically repaired shoulder? Who drafts a marquee collegiate QB and then fails to pony up the money for needed receivers? The Horns are guilty on both counts! And if Sam was getting battered & bruised because his OL was mediocre and his receivers were arguably the NFL's worst, how can anyone in their right mind argue that he didn't earn his money? Was he supposed to perform miracles with subpar talent on the OL and at the receiver spots?

Hasn't our division emerged as the league's best with respect to overall defense? Isn't it more urgent now than even before that the Horns have to protect their signal callers? Hell, if I were Sam's agent, I would make upgrading the OL part of the negotiations.

You actually believe there are teams lining up to pay a QB coming off 2 ACL tears big money? Not sure what to say to you then.
FWIW, Sam's ACL had nothing to do with the OL. When it happened it was running out of bounds. Do I think it's an issue? Of course I do, but that's not why he got hurt in the first place. I'm different than most because when someone says he earned $50M I think you're crazy. I don't think anyone playing a game should make that kind of money. So yeah, maybe I am out of my mind for thinking a business has the right to feel like someone making that kind of money should show up to work every day and earn it. What job do any of us have that we can show up 50% of the time and get full pay?
I'm not saying it's his fault and this is getting way off topic but how in the world anyone can think he's earned $50M is crazy to me. FIFTY MILLION.

We'll find out soon enough but NFL teams aren't charities and I don't expect the Rams to say, thanks Sam for playing behind a suspect line and not having Jerry Rice to throw to, we'll go ahead and pay you that $16M because you worked really hard during rehab.

Now that would be nuts.

jap

Legend
You actually believe there are teams lining up to pay a QB coming off 2 ACL tears big money? Not sure what to say to you then.

Perhaps there are teams who agree with me that the Rams did a poor job protecting their franchise QB and providing him with quality receivers. Those same teams may also be aware that Sam works like the dickens to come back better than he was before injury---every single time!

FWIW, Sam's ACL had nothing to do with the OL. When it happened it was running out of bounds. Do I think it's an issue? Of course I do, but that's not why he got hurt in the first place.

And I could care less what you think here. Did Sam have any ACL injuries before coming to the NFL? Didn't he show up for every single snap all 16 games his rookie season while being brutalized behind a subpar OL? You don't think the high ankle strain his sophomore year had something to do with the lengths he had to go to avoid being killed? Ditto the ACL tears? Or do you they were all just freak accidents even though he never had to deal with those type of injuries before?

I'm different than most because when someone says he earned $50M I think you're crazy. I don't think anyone playing a game should make that kind of money. So yeah, maybe I am out of my mind for thinking a business has the right to feel like someone making that kind of money should show up to work every day and earn it. What job do any of us have that we can show up 50% of the time and get full pay?
I'm not saying it's his fault and this is getting way off topic but how in the world anyone can think he's earned $50M is crazy to me. FIFTY MILLION.

We'll find out soon enough but NFL teams aren't charities and I don't expect the Rams to say, thanks Sam for playing behind a suspect line and not having Jerry Rice to throw to, we'll go ahead and pay you that $16M because you worked really hard during rehab.

Now that would be nuts.

How reasonable do you believe you sound claiming no one is worth 50 million when there is an NFL market right in front of you that says differently? What color is the sky in your world?

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
Again, reducing the cap number with an extension is one thing, but this "bringing back Sam at right cost" or a "reduced salary" has only been media speculation. Demoff has not mentioned it, only media.

What Demoff and Snead have said is there are discussions about an extension, that is for 2016 and beyond.
Finally.The voice of reason.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
I agree it would be stupid to bring him back at his current salary.
Personally I'd be ok if they didn't bring him back at all, but that's a different discussion.

My argument was never that the Rams (or any team) would pay him whatever he wants, but that his agents should approach any negotiations with the attitude of honor the deal you (the Rams) signed or let us test the market. Everybody involved knows Bradford won't get his scheduled salary, but you shouldn't begin negotiations with that.

Bradford will be making less money next year, it's really just a matter of where.
I don't think so.His contract expires next year.I believe the Rams will honor it (That's what a extension is)and negotiate based up his performance in 2015.

Last edited:

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
I hate that the Rams have to be thinking of bringing Sam back. Two ACLS is one too many. I would punt, but they have NO fallback at this point. Too bad.
Just Remember DeSean Jackson came back from two ACL's also and he moves around more than Bradford as he is a WR.