Bradford and the passing game.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How can this be true, I read on ramstalk that the Quick pass was bad because he had to stretch for it?

I know you're being sarcastic but that should tell you the quality of football minds on Ramstalk. I'm just glad Sam finally made that sort of throw. He'd always been a bit timid when it came to throwing between levels of the defense imo. Not that I blame him, it's dangerous and takes perfect placement to pull off. That throw was perfect.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I thought the exact same thing when it happened. But again, even if he waits that extra second to clear THAT LB, there was another waiting for him so, I doubt it would have mattered much.
It went for a completion and first down so I don't want to sound like I'm knocking Sam but a split second difference and Austin is past the first LB and free to make a move in the open field, one-on-one against the other LB which seems like a high percentage chance for Austin. What Holt was suggesting is Max Q stuff but something that could make a big difference.

FRO

Legend
I know you're being sarcastic but that should tell you the quality of football minds on Ramstalk. I'm just glad Sam finally made that sort of throw. He'd always been a bit timid when it came to throwing between levels of the defense imo. Not that I blame him, it's dangerous and takes perfect placement to pull off. That throw was perfect.
Totally agree. That 15-20 yard route is the one I want to see him go to more regularly. The problem in the past is I don't believe he has had much faith in his receivers. He now has faith in Quick.

Also the pass was high because he had to get the ball over the linebackers.

Back to Bradford and his timidness in the past. I really wish the current regime was the regime that drafted him and developed him from the start. I have to believe that Spags scared of your own shadow approach had to have an effect on a young player.

FRO

Legend
It went for a completion and first down so I don't want to sound like I'm knocking Sam but a split second difference and Austin is past the first LB and free to make a move in the open field, one-on-one against the other LB which seems like a high percentage chance for Austin. What Holt was suggesting is Max Q stuff but something that could make a big difference.
You could see after the pass Sam looked a bit upset with himself. Maybe he realized he was too hasty. All in all our criticisms outside the Britt pass is us being nitpicky. Guy looked great today, maybe even improved.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
How can this be true, I read on ramstalk that the Quick pass was bad because he had to stretch for it?
well guess the intellects are on this site and the idiots on the other. Torry loved it and said well placed and what idiot would argue receiving with that guy

moklerman

Warner-phile
You could see after the pass Sam looked a bit upset with himself. Maybe he realized he was too hasty. All in all our criticisms outside the Britt pass is us being nitpicky. Guy looked great today, maybe even improved.
I agree and the stuff we're talking about is the difference between a good and a great QB. For Bradford to elevate his game to greatness, he has to time that pass better. Not that it was bad, but it "could" have been better. It's nice that he's at the point where we're finally talking about things like this rather than discussing an incompletion or worse.

I think Holt was just describing how to turn an A- into an A. Makes me wonder what Martz could be teaching Bradford considering Bradford has almost gotten there as it is. For example, the TD pass was perfect from what I could tell. The timing and placement were split second. Of course, it's nice to have a receiver catch that pass. In recent years, I don't think that would have necessarily happened.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Fro.....

Just wanted to expound on your thoughts on Quick..... This is what I have been seeing all throughout training camp. And the fact that Bradford came right back to him on the Pass Interference call. He beat a pretty good safety on that play, and he forced him into the PI, or its a TD.

I guess the point I am making, and you just expressed it in your earlier post, is not only is Quick showing to have much more confidence, but Bradford is showing a ton of confidence in him this year. That has not been the case before.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Fro.....

Just wanted to expound on your thoughts on Quick..... This is what I have been seeing all throughout training camp. And the fact that Bradford came right back to him on the Pass Interference call. He beat a pretty good safety on that play, and he forced him into the PI, or its a TD.

I guess the point I am making, and you just expressed it in your earlier post, is not only is Quick showing to have much more confidence, but Bradford is showing a ton of confidence in him this year. That has not been the case before.
I know for myself, I want all of the reports to be true but am still hesitant to buy into it. If Quick does emerge, it'll be a delicious serving of crow.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I know for myself, I want all of the reports to be true but am still hesitant to buy into it. If Quick does emerge, it'll be a delicious serving of crow.

so that catch doesnt show you anything in terms of his ability?

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G

Exactly, on another board a Sam-hater priased Quick to high-heaven because that was such a sorry pass :whistle:

ausmurp

Starter
Bradford and Quick were the only bright spots. Our depth continues to be an issue, and its a serious one. Players get injured and backups have to play...

RamsFan14

Starter

I've seen your posts about Bradford and I agree man, I would like to see him be more aggressive too. And I'm not blaming him for being safe with the ball either, but I think it's about time we really do see more shots down the field consider we have diverse playmakers. Sounds like Quick has really really stepped up his game from years past and that Bradford REALLY trusts him... That bolds well for taking some more shots down the field. Add in Austin and Cook having another year to grasp system, they should play better.

If Bradford is protected, I think he's going to have a great year! I really really think if Bradford has time in the pocket, he'll play it smart with the football, and be a very efficient passer for us. Of course... That injury bug needs to stay away too lol.

moklerman

Warner-phile
so that catch doesnt show you anything in terms of his ability?
Yes, but it doesn't convince me he's going to do it on a regular basis during the regular season either. It's good that he's showing well in practice and in the preseason so far but he, IMO, had a long way to go based on his first two years and I'm not ready to believe one offseason has accomplished that.

FRO

Legend
Fro.....

Man I don't know if anybody was more excited than me in the dome when Quick made that play. The thing I notice is his confidence. It reminds me of the Quick I saw in college. On the PI he would have had a TD had his man not interfered. I want to see this Quick in the regular season. If Quick and Britt can be the guys they have been in camp, then throw in Bailey and Austin, we will have a very good 4 man WR rotation. For the first time in a long time we may have a legitimate offense.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I can't watch highlights and I can't watch games. Who wants Internet points to make some gifs from the passing game? Mostly the TD, Britt pass (or both) and the Quick bomb. It all sounds great, but my imagination only goes so far. I actually flipped though this Austrian TV I hopes they would have the game.... sad.

FRO

Legend
I can't watch highlights and I can't watch games. Who wants Internet points to make some gifs from the passing game? Mostly the TD, Britt pass (or both) and the Quick bomb. It all sounds great, but my imagination only goes so far. I actually flipped though this Austrian TV I hopes they would have the game.... sad.
If you live in the St Louis area the game will be replayed on KPLR today. If not I can't help you. I'm amazed I've figured out how to post in a message board, no way I could figure a way to make gifs.

bluecoconuts

Legend
If you live in the St Louis area the game will be replayed on KPLR today. If not I can't help you. I'm amazed I've figured out how to post in a message board, no way I could figure a way to make gifs.
I live in Los Angeles, the problem is I'm traveling Europe and won't be back until next month. I'll be in St Louis for a Rams game though, but they will be in Tampa! I was able to see the TD pass and the Quick bomb though, so I'm happy with that. Looked good, I'm excited to see them grow more.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I live in Los Angeles, the problem is I'm traveling Europe and won't be back until next month. I'll be in St Louis for a Rams game though, but they will be in Tampa! I was able to see the TD pass and the Quick bomb though, so I'm happy with that. Looked good, I'm excited to see them grow more.

Its always been a dream of mine to travel in Europe. I'm officially jealous. It's nothing as mundane as a business trip I hope.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Bradford picked up where he left off last year. Guys a stud. Cant believe anyone ever doubted him (me included at times!). Quick made an excellent catch - outside the frame of his body - high above his head with defenders coming in to hit him. Showed his potential with it.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Its always been a dream of mine to travel in Europe. I'm officially jealous. It's nothing as mundane as a business trip I hope.

2 1/2 months backpacking with my girlfriend. We have two new countries left (Germany which we see tomorrow, and Belgium) before we head back to Ireland via France to spend the last week and a half with my family before we fly back to the states. It's been a long 2 months, but fun. Although I found out that ROD has banned French IP addresses.